Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ That's Where You Find Love ❯ Chapter 3: A Little Bird Told Me ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: A Little Bird Told Me
“I'm home,” Yugi said as he arrived at the top floor of the Kame Game Shop where he lived.
 
“Hello, Yugi. I was wondering when you'd get home,” his grandfather, Solomon, said from the living room table, “How was school?”
 
“Uneventful as usual,” Yugi said as he removed his shoes and walked towards his bedroom. He opened the door to his game and puzzle filled bedroom and dropped his backpack to the floor next to his desk. He then walked over to the corner of the room next to the head of his bed with a cloth covered object in that little corner. He smiled as he slowly removed the cloth to reveal a white bird cage with a little yellow bird resting inside of it. The little creature shook and ruffled its feathers up a little as it woke up.
“Hey Margalo, how's my little girl?” Yugi whispered to the little bird with a smile. The bird chirped happily at seeing her angelic owner's face and hearing his voice.
 
Margalo was a very pretty little bird that was one hundred percent canary but no one would buy her from the pet store she came from for one specific reason. Even though Margalo was a pure bred canary, she had a big splotch of light brown feathers right across her breast which was an unusual and extremely rare characteristic for the popular breed of pet birds. It was because of this unusual mark that no one would buy the little bird until Serenity went in to buy a gift for Yugi's fifteenth birthday. She looked at all the pets in the entire store but felt that none of them would be perfect for Yugi until she laid her eyes on little Margalo. She saw Margalo and knew that she was the perfect pet for Yugi and the mark that was never found in her species of the light brown feathers only gave her further reason to buy Margalo. She figured that since Yugi himself was a little different from his own species, they would be able to connect on that level and form a life long bond with each other.
 
When Yugi's birthday did come around, Serenity's gift was the last he opened. He opened the little box and gave a gasp of delight when he saw the little creature looking back at him. The little bird looked at him for a few minutes before giving a chirp of delight and hopped out of the box. She flew up onto Yugi's head and nestled herself in his wild mop of hair. Everyone laughed at the little bird's action and joked that Margalo didn't need a cage because she already had a nest to settle in. Yugi gently removed her from his hair and took her in his hands. He smiled at her and placed a little peck on the top of her head and said that her name was Margalo after the bird from Stuart Little. After that the two became birds of a feather (Dee Bunny: No pun intended here, people)
 
Yugi went to open her cage but noticed that the latch on her door was broken. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Joey accidently broke the latch to your cage yesterday,” Yugi said as he opened the little door, placed a finger inside, and allowed Margalo to perch onto it. He slowly pulled his hand and Margalo out of the cage and gently stroked her with his index finger on his other hand, “ I'll have to see if I can take your cage to a locksmith to have it fixed but until then you can stay out of your cage.” He carried the little bird with him to his desk and set her down there as he took his homework out of his bag, “And who knows? You could be a big help with my Algebra homework. Right, girl?” he said with a small chuckle.
 
Oddly enough, Margalo was a help to Yugi when it came to all his homework, not just his Algebra. She would notice whenever Yugi was having problems with finding an answer, hop on the book, and peck on a certain page. When he flipped to that page, there would be the answer staring him right in the face. After she helped him with a history question, he looked at her wide eyed.
 
“You never cease to amaze me,” he said shaking his head. Margalo just looked at him and ruffled up her feathers proudly. He heard yelling outside and opened the window to see Joey fighting with Leo, saying that Yugi wasn't home. He ducked under the window quickly so that Leo wouldn't see him and call Joey out on his bluff. He saw Margalo spread her wings as if stretching but then took to the air.
 
“Margalo, no!” he whispered. He didn't dare get up though he kept a weary eye on Margalo. “NO!” he shout-whispered as she flew out above his head. “Margalo, get back here!” He sighed as he watched her fly away. He'd keep the window open knowing she might fly back, but he wasn't going to wait. He snuck out the back way after explaining to Grandpa where he was going.
 
Hey, at least what Joey was telling Leo wouldn't be a lie anymore.
***
Yami sighed before shouting to Ishizu, “I'm going for a walk!” Ishizu smiled as she stroked her necklace again.
 
“Take your time, sir,” she said grinning.
 
“Sometimes it scares me when that woman knows more than she lets on,” he said with a shudder. He quietly closed the door and wandered further away from the mansion than he usually did, almost near the forest's edge. He jumped in surprise when something nestled into his hair. He looked up in surprise to see a bird in his hair. He put up his hand with his finger out and the bird stared at it before hopping onto his finger.
 
“Where'd you come from, little one?” he asked curiously. He noticed the bird was a canary but then he noticed the brown splotch on the bird's breast. “Well, aren't you just the unusual bird? Your owner must be worried about you.” He heard shouting in the distance wandered closer to the entrance of the forest to see what seemed to be a younger version of him screaming for a `Margalo.' The bird tilted its head and Yami caught on.
 
“He's your owner huh? Your name's Margalo?” The little bird looked at him as if examining his voice before gaining a confused look on its face. Yami's voice was much deeper and rougher than Yugi's was yet it still had the same calming tone his did. But what was really confusing was that they looked so much alike and out of all of the people she knew, the wild spiked hair only belonged to her owner and to none other. She knew that hair style better than anything yet she somehow confused this person with him. It didn't make any sense to the little canary.
 
“Margalo! Marg…” Yugi said but paused when he saw Yami holding his little runaway. “Margalo!” He ran towards the pair and held out his hands. The tiny yellow bird flew to them and landed as she looked and gave a chirp of happy realization at seeing her true owner. Yugi raised his hands to his hair and let the little bird nest herself in the wild mess. He looked at the stranger who looked so much like him and smiled.
 
“Thank you so much. How did you find her?” Yugi said with a smile at his look-a-like. Yami smiled back before he answered.
 
“Actually, she found me. I was just walking away from home when this little one…” he explained as he reached out towards Yugi's hair and stroked Margalo gently, “landed on my head. I think she may have confused me with you.”
 
“Yeah, Margalo always likes to use my hair as a nest of sorts for her own comfort. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she laid eggs in my hair one of these days,” Yugi joked which caused both him and the stranger to laugh.
 
“I get the feeling you may be right, little one. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Yami Atem,” he said as he held out his hand.
 
“My name's Yugi Moto. It's nice to finally meet you,” Yugi said as he shook his hand. Yami was shocked by two things; one: that this boy, Yugi, knew him and two: He felt sparks of static travel up his arm as he shook his hand.
 
“What do you mean by `finally'?” he asked as he reluctantly took his hand away.
 
“I know your cousins, Seto and Mokuba Kiba. Seto and I are in the same class and we talk from time to time but the only real reason he hangs around me is because he lusts over my best friend,” he said as he rubbed the back of his neck, “Also, unlike most people my age, I read the newspaper.”
 
“I see,” he said with a soft look crossing his features as he looked at the young, amethyst-eyed version of himself, “Then I guess that you've heard all of the gossip on how I've had so many people chasing after me that I avoid society, relationships, and dating as much as I can.” Just then a clock rung in the distance and Yugi looked back at Yami.
 
“I'm sorry. I have to get home before my grandpa and my mom both get worried,” Yugi explained as he started to walk away.
 
“I understand. I hope I can see you again,” he said as he waved Yugi goodbye.
 
“Yeah maybe,” he said as he continued to walk away but then turned around with a smile, “And about the gossip, I don't believe everything I hear or read.” With that said, he gave another smile and walked away.
 
Dee Bunny: Hoped everybody liked this chap. Please review. : )