Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Fruit of Temptation ❯ Arrival In Rome ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prince Yami stared at the Mediteranean Sea, his hand gripping the wooden handle of the boat so he didn't loose balance. He sighed, staring intently at the deep blue water. He had been on the boat for almost a week already and hated every minute of the trip. He couldn't believe it was taking so long to get to Rome. Pharaoh had told him that in one more day they would arrive. The prince's reply had been sarcastic. Everyone aboard knew that the nineteen year old was dreading the trip from the start.

"Oi, Yami!" a familiar voice shouted.

The prince turned slowly, focusing his tired crimson eyes on his cousin, Seto. Seto was a tall brunette man with piercing azure eyes and a light tan who was training to become High Priest like his father. Smiling faintly, Yami walked over to his kinsman, "hello cousin."

Seto noticed the meloncholy expression and rolled his eyes, taking the shorter in his arms, "what's wrong little cousin? The sea air not salty enough for you?" he questioned, concern as well as amusement in his voice. When not getting a response, he looked down, "what troubles dear cousin Yami?"

Yami pulled away from the embrace, "the marriage to someone I don't know."

"Marriage is it?" the brunette began, "what does marriage really mean, anyways? One wears a ring around their finger and lives in the same dwelling as someone wearing a similar band around their center finger. One can flaunt the ring for while and then if it annoys you after time, one may simply dispose of it. The same goes for a spouse. Show them off, make everyone happy, then leave them." He smirked, "quite common a concept nowdays, this idea of marriage."

The prince sighed, "It would be impossible to dispose of her for it would merely cause another war. That would only put me back in the same predicament."

Seto smiled, "Ah I see. You're afraid then, that you won't be able to get rid of her? Well, you have me there. But don't worry; as future Pharaoh you are allowed to have more than one mistress."

"Are you implying that I cheat on my future wife?"

"If that's the way you wish for it to mean. But what was that emotion in your tone? Was it concern? Is cousin Yami more caring about Princess Anzu that he lets on?"

Yami growled, "no. I wouldn't want to cheat on anyone. As future High Priest, you should know that it is wrong to commit such an act."

The brunette smiled, "maybe for a commoner, but for Pharaoh, living god," he chuckled, "those types of rules don't apply." Seto sighed, "oh, little cousin, you are still so young. You have much to learn about love...about life."

"You are only one year older than me. How can you say I need to know more when you have not yet had a lover yourself? You know just as much about love as I," the prince countered.

"Not exactly," cerulean eyes bore into crimson orbs, "you have grown physically. Anyone with eyes can see that you have become a handsome young man. But you are still so young at heart," his cousin replied.

Yami raised an eyebrow, "at heart, cousin?"

"Mentally, spiritually...you still have much to learn. I do, as well." Seto looked up, seeing stars beginning to appear in the darkening sky. "come, little cousin. Ra is retreating for an evening of rest and you must too. Tomorrow we are landing in Rome to meet your bride, so you must appear fresh and rested."

The son of the Pharaoh nodded, "I suppose I should retire for the night."

Seto took Yami's arm in his own, "allow me to escort you?"

The red eyed Egyptian nodded tiredly, "but of course, cousin."

The brunette smiled and led the other towards his cabin room.

~~~

Anzu smiled at her reflection in the large mirror, "isn't it exciting?" she asked her slave.

Shizuka ran a jeweled brush through her master's short chestnut hair, "what, miss?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Prince Yami of Egypt is arriving this evening," the princess explained. "My future husband..." She let out a soft giggled, "and tomorrow, my darling brother Yugi returns from Sicily."

The aubern haired girl smiled, "how lucky miss is. Blessed with a husband already." She put the brush down on a small gold stand, "we must find you something lovely to wear that will greatly impress this Prince. Shall I call the emperor up to help you choose?"

Anzu shook her head and stood up, seeing the slave bow her head as she did so, "no need. I would much appreciate a woman's opinion on the matter."

Shizuka gasped, "you wish for my help, miss?"

"Yes, please." The brunette walked over to her bureau and looked at all the different colors. She pulled out two. One was a pastel pink, made of fine silk with no sleeves. The other dress was light blue, the color of the princess's eyes, and made of a glittery fabric. The sleeves were a seethrough fabric and had many silver sparkles.

The red haired slave thought a moment, "I think I prefer the blue one, miss," she said. "It would stunningly bring out your beautiful eyes."

Anzu smiled, "thank you very much, Shizuka." She placed the dress on the bed. "You may help me dress now." The shorter girl came over and began to undo the buttons on her master's dress. Once it was off, she helped her get into the slip then finally the dress. "Thank you very much. You are dismissed."

Shizuka bowed lowly, "thank you, miss. And if it's not too bold of me to say, I think Prince Yami will very pleased with you." She then turned and exited the room.

The princess looked at her reflection once more, "I hope so," she whispered.

~~~

Yami sighed as he saw the dock approaching. "Well, this is it," he said to himself, looking past the dock and at the lovely city beyond it. In the distance, he could faintly make out the palace. There was a tap on his shoulder. Turning, he rest his eyes upon his mother. He bowed lightly in respect.

Leila smiled at her son, "we have finally arrived. Do you have jitters?"

The teen shook his head, "none whatsoever. I just wish to get this over with."

The queen closed her eyes and exhaled, wrapping her son in a warm embrace and resting his head on her chest, " please remember what we discussed." She whispered.

Yami nodded, "don't worry, I won't be rude."

His mother smiled and kissed him on the cheek, "good. Now let's get ready to leave the ship. The sailors are just now tying the boat to the dock." Her son nodded and followed her.

~~~

Anzu nervously waited in front of the palace next to her father and the Royal Priest, Maxamillion Pegasus. Surrounding them on the stone stairs were peasent children, each holding rare flowers and other gifts in their hands to give to the Pharaoh and his family. The emperor looked down at his daughter, seeing her fidgiting, "what's the matter, princess?"

The brunette looked up, "I have the butterflies," she explained.

The king chuckled, "do not worry, the prince will love you from the moment he lays eyes on you," he explained, a knowing twinkle in his eyes.

A chariot pulled up in front of the palace. The Princess held her breath as she saw the driver come and push the curtain aside. The Pharaoh was the first to step off, followed by the queen and whom she guessed was the prince. She gasped as she stared at her husband to be.

He was extremely attractive with a bronzing dark tan, long spiky locks of raven and crimson hair. A crown of blonde bangs delicately frame his chisled face and his eyes, oh his eyes were gorgeous...the color of blood and seemed almost like liquid fire as they burned in the surroundings. The prince was wearing a dress-like cloth with the middle tucked into a large gold belt. Draped around his shoulders and falling to the floor was a scarlet cape. Gold rings, bracelets, and anklets adorned his fingers, arms, and sandaled feet. Around his forehead was a gold crown, similar to what the Pharaoh wore, and had the eye of Horus in the center, sparkling magestically in the sunlight.

The prince was followed by a handsome brunette man in purple robes. He stood beside Yami as he walked, towering about three heads above the prince. Once the royal family of Egypt reached the top of the stairs, the children surrounded them, bowing respectfully and presenting their gifts. The Pharaoh brushed passed them while the queen smiled kindly, patting each of them on the head as she passed them.

"Pharaoh Akunamukadin," the emperor greeted, bowing.

"Emperor Giovanni," Pharaoh responded, bowing lowly as well.

The emperor took the queen's hand in his own when she approached and kissed it lightly, "madam," he smiled.

The queen curtsied before him.

Pharaoh turned to his son who was accepting one of the gifts from the peasent children. Glaring at his son, the teen walked over, bowing to the ruler of Rome, "an honor to meet you, Emperor," he said, kneeling before the king.

"Quite a respectable young boy you have there, Pharaoh." He motioned to the brunette, "this is my lovely daughter, Anzu." Anzu blushed and curtsied before the royal family.

Yami smiled, taking Anzu's hand and bringing it to his lips, placing a soft kiss on it, "an honor to officially meet my future wife," he lied with a smile.

The brunette's cheeks flushed and she giggled, batting her eyelashes, "I too have been eager to meet you, Prince Yami," she replied.

Yami turned to the brunette man standing next to him, "this is my elder cousin, Seto Kaiba. He is training to be the next High Priest of Egypt, after his father."

Seto bowed before Anzu, "pleasure to meet you, miss Anzu."

"Pleasure is all mine," she said, smiling kindly.

The emperor smiled at Yami who still held his daughter's hand in his own, "I have a feeling this arrangement was a wise one. They get along perfect, not to mention look right together."

The queen of Egypt nodded, "a perfect match, your highness."

The king of Rome nodded, putting an arm around his daughter, "come, come. Let's not stay out in the heat much longer. My servants will show you to your assigned rooms then after you are settled, we shall feast."

"We appreciate your generosity, Emperor," Pharaoh exclaimed.

"It is no problem whatsoever. Now come, dusk is approaching."

~~~`

Yami sighed, staring up at the roof of his room. He was laying on a large matress with black silk sheets covering him. He was full from supper. The Emperor had forced him to eat more than necessary, and now he was feeling the effects...his stomach felt like bursting. There was a knock on his chamber door. Moaning as a reply, he sat up, clutching his stomach in pain.

Seto entered the room, a smile on his face. He approached the bed, sitting next to where his cousin lay, "evening, little cousin."

"Seto why must you pester me? I am tired, my body aches from travel, my stomach is stretching my clothes, and my eyelids can barely be held open," the prince whined.

The High Priest in training stroked his kinsman's long hair, "why must you blubber so? It really is quite a turn off, if you ask me."

Yami's eyes narrowed, "well I most certainly am not asking you, cousin, since I have no intention of bringing our relationship to any type of intimate level."

The brunette chuckled, "being betrothed sure has made you humdrum," he huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

The red eyed teen snorted, "no. I've always been this way. You are just too much of a goof for me."

"I'm a goof am I? What would that make you then? Just a boring old Pharaoh...."

"I'm not Pharaoh yet."

Seto smirked, "that doesn't mean you don't act like one."

Yami quirked an eyebrow, "I'm afraid I don't understand."

The brunette sighed, putting a hand on his cousin's shoulder and pushing him back into a laying position. He brought the silk sheets up to the shorter's chin, "you are expected, like your father, to become a great ruler of Egypt...that doesn't mean you have to become your father."

"Become my father?"

"Yes. Act the way he does...you know, boring and intolerable."

Yami's brows furrowed, "you find me intolerable?" he questioned, confusion in his voice.

Seto rolled his eyes, running his hands through the other's hair once more, "you're on your way." He exhaled, his azure eyes blazing in the moonlight, "Yami I love you, you are my only little cousin. I don't want you to grow into your father. I love the way you are, your personality is so youthful still. I don't want you to ever lose that internal spark that you carry. Please, for me little cousin, don't ever change."

Crimson eyes were glossy from tiredness, "I promise you, cousin. If the gods wish me not to change, then I will obey. But if they do, I will follow that path as well."

"That promise is good enough." The taller smoothed the sheets of the bed out, "I am thinking it is time I head to my own chamber." Yami nodded as an answer, yawning. "They day's trials have payed a toll on you, little cousin," he chuckled. "As they have on me. I must rest, for sleep is weaving its spell on me." Leaning down, he placed a small kiss on his kinsman's lips, "good night, little cousin. May the gods grant you the sweetest dreams."

The prince nodded, feeling Seto pull away, smooth his sheets out once more, then turn and leave, "good night, cousin. Pleasant dreams to you, as well."

Seto smiled, "thank you." He closed the door behind him as he exited.