Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Fruit of Temptation ❯ Destiny's Path ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Prince Yugi wandered down the long hallway of the palace. He needed to get out. The temples would be comfort for him now. Venus would guide him in the right direction. Though, he knew not whether the gods were with him now.

Everything had gone so astray. Falling in love with someone forbidden. Finding out his love was engaged to someone so close to him...And now his father was making him choose a bride!

A bride! What next!? And he had only seen thirteen summers! He was too young to wed. Too young for the responsibilities that marriage held. Too young to be a father. Too young to be a king. And he wasn't even king! Why marry now?! He had so many years to live still. Why produce an heir so soon? Was his life in danger? Was there a threat he was not told about?

Was that why the Emperor was so worried? Was there a hidden danger? Was the king afraid he would lose his only son? The only heir to the throne? Was he afraid Yugi would be lose or taken away?

This made the little Prince sweat with worry. What if there was something wrong? What if...what if he was meant to die early? Was this punishment from the gods? Was almighty Jupiter upset with him? Was he to be sent to Pluto so soon? To the underworld already?

The sunlight was bright as he exited the palace. The temples were close. He would pray. He would pray and continue praying all day if that was what it took for the gods to hear his pleas. He would beg for answers and give up offerings if he was forced. He needed help now. He needed strength. For he knew not what to do. The prince was lost. And it was partially his own fault.

'If I had never fallen in love... if I had never fell victim to Cupid's arrows...none of this would have happened....' He thought sorrowfully. 'But I cannot help what has happened. It is the past. All I can do now is hope for a brighter future. The present seems so bleak...but I trust the forthcoming time will not be.'

There is was. Only a few steps away was the temple of Venus. Venus, his guardian goddess. Before his mother, the Queen of Rome, had passed away, she had prayed to Venus to guard and guide her only son. Her Yugi. To always protect him. Yugi hoped that Venus would protect and direct him now.

The temple was small. Two torches hung on the entrance wall. The prince took one torch and walked slowly down the carpeted hall. His head was lowered, as if ashamed to look at the face of his goddess.

When he reached the statue of Venus, he sank to his knees and placed the torch in the holder next to the statue. He bowed his body fully on the floor as more tears escaped his eyes. "I had been so sure..." he whispered. "So sure that it was love."

Amethyst eyes peered up. "Why am I un-allowed to be happy?" he wondered. "Why can I not be with my lover? Why must I marry someone else?"

The statue was silent. Silent like always. Yugi wiped his tears away. "Tell me!" he yelled. "Why can I not be happy?! Why must I suffer so?! Are you cursing me, Venus!? Are you making sure I never find eternal love?!" He sniffled. "I have been loyal to you! And this is how you repay me!? Maybe my gods to not serve me as I serve them!"

Bright silver light shimmered and twinkled. There was a small gold flash and a woman stood before him where the stone sculpture once stood.

Yugi's eyes widened and he averted his gaze to the floor, bowing lowly. "M- my goddess. V-Venus...can it be?"

The goddess stood before him. She wore a plain partioally translucent white dress. Long blonde hair seemed to float around her and glistening blue eyes glared down at the boy.

The Roman prince shook slightly with fear. Venus would be angry. Angry for yelling at him. He was in so much trouble. He would be cursed, if he wasn't already, for the rest of eternity. "M-my goddess, I beg forgiveness!" he cried.

Venus continued to glare at the prince, not giving an answer.

"P-Please spare me! I wish not to die!"

"You dare say the gods serve mortals?!"

"I meant it not in a disrespectful way, my fair goddess!"

Venus shook her head. "Poor child, I see you are upset. I will not harm you, even if you have greatly angered me."

The prince gasped. "W-what?" The gods could do whatever they wanted. Why not smite him on the spot?

The goddess looked down at him with pity. "Child, when your mother passed, she asked me to protect you. To treat you as if you were my own son." She wrapped the boy in an embrace. "I would never harm any son of my own."

Yugi bowed his head. "I-I never meant to anger the gods. I was foolish. Please forgive my rashness."

Venus laughed, a melodic sound. "I have heard your prayers for a long while, dear boy. I know how loyal you are. I forgive you, do not fear."

The Roman smiled gratefully. "M-my goddess? May I ask how you were able to appear to me?"

"I have many abilities, little one."

Yugi fell silent and looked to the floor. "I am lost, Venus. In a dilemma that I wish not to be in."

"Tell me of it, dear child," the goddess urged.

"I love someone who is betrothed to another," he explained. "And now, my father the Emperor is making me marry someone."

The goddess gasped. "Marry at so young?! My dear, you shouldn't even be in love at so young. But, I cannot help who my own son hits with his arrows. Age does not matter. Love and marriage are different, though. With love come responsibilities, but with marriage comes commitment. Commitment someone at such a tender year cannot begin to imagine."

Yugi sighed. "What am I to do, goddess? I'm trapped within my own choices. I do not wish to love another if I am to wed. But yet I love him so much I wish not to give her up."

"What is the name of the one you love?"

"A beautiful name indeed... Yami. He is a true beauty who I cannot help but love with all my heart."

"Ah, the look-a-like of yours. I have seen him with you. Quite a handsome one. Engaged to your sister, Anzu, correct?"

"Yes..." Yugi sighed. "I know not what to do."

The goddess smiled. "Worry not, my child. I will guide you." She closed her eyes. "Do not be afraid of your love. He does love you back and she will remain loyal. He loves not this other whom he is engaged to. You are worried, and you don't have to be. Trust me."

Yugi nodded. "Thank you. What do I do about my father and picking a bride?"

"When the time for you to choose a bride comes, choose one. Choose the fairest, purest one of them all. One who you will get along with. For you will have to marry her, child. Just as Yami must marry Anzu." The goddess smiled at the boy.

The prince gasped. "I will have to marry?! My love is crushed then?!" he asked, crying.

"That is the will of the gods, little Yugi. I cannot help what fate plays out. Nobody can. But, being your goddess of love, I will do everything in my power to make sure you are happy with your love. Believe me."

Yugi nodded. He closed his eyes and stepped away from the goddess. He bowed once more. "Forgive me Venus, but I should leave. Emperor and sister are probably worried about me."

Venus nodded. "Know, little one, that I am with you." She embraced the boy and kissed his forehead. "I will protect you, like I promised to."

The Roman nodded and the goddess disappeared, the statue still as stone once more. The door to the temple opened and footsteps approached. Amethyst eyes stayed on the figure of the goddess until a hand was placed on his shoulder.

"Yugi," a deep voice whispered.

The little prince whirled around to see the Egyptian prince standing behind him looking slightly worried. "Y-Yami...you had me worried."

"Why are you in here by your lonesome?" Yami questioned, looking around the small temple.

Yugi scratched the back of his neck. "I was..." he stopped and looked at the sculpture of Venus, "p-praying for advice from my goddess," he answered.

Crimson eyes turned on him. "Did you receive any answers?"

"Yes...Venus told me, regrettable as it may seem, that I must marry someone whom I choose. Just ask you must marry my dear sister, Anzu," he informed. "That is my and your destiny."

Yami snorted. "I make my own destiny," he replied, kissing the boy's neck. "Why else do you think I kiss you at the ball?"

Yugi turned his eyes away, blushing. "Yami, you know how I love you. I just think that maybe...that maybe this is the wrong path. However," he stopped and turned to Yami, "I will continue to follow this path until the gods tell me not to." He smiled and kissed the taller lightly on the lips.

The Egyptian smirked. "And I am glad, then, with your choice." He held out his arm. "Come." Yugi took his arm and the two left the temple.

As they left, a silver haired man smirked. "My, my...whattrouble you are causing, little Yugi." Priest Pegasus watched the two princes walk towards the palace. Princess Anzu was waiting on the steps for her fiancé to return.

Pegasus smirked. "I had a feeling you were up to no good, little prince. Once I tell the king of your secret affair, the marriage between Anzu and Prince Yami will be off. War will most likely break out between Egypt and Rome once more...and once I have killed all of the royal families...both countries will bemine!"

He turned to a white haired boy standing next to him. "You, Bakura!"

The thief turned and smirked at him, bowing lowly. "At your service, High Priest?"

Bakura was a thief and killer. A personal servant to the Priest Pegasus. He loved getting his jobs from the man. Inflicting pain was his specialty.

"I need an assassination planned. I need the little Prince of Rome gotten rid of, along with his lover."

"What about the sister, Lord?"

Pegasus glared at him. "You may do what you please with her. Use her as bait to real the boys in. They'll do anything to save her, that I know. I just need the two princes killed."

"When, sir?" Bakura questioned.

The priest smirked. "First I have a little secret to tell the king. Plan on the kill in three moons."

The thief smirked. "Mariku and I will be ready, signor." And with that, the white haired fiend vanished.

Pegasus grinned and looked up at the palace. The princess was embracing her betrothed who held her back. Little Yugi watched, pale with jealousy. "Once you're out of the way, Yugi, this kingdom as well as all of Egypt will bow to me!"