Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Past ❯ Surprise ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2

Surprise

The group idea worked like a charm. Even if Seto and Joey simply hated each other, Seto agreed for he had taken a strong liking to the girl. As for Kari and Yugi, well they started to notice each other a lot more. Kari wasn't sure if it was just Naffinni's emotions or her own, but she felt very much in love with the Game King as he was called. She played her rarest cards on the field when she battled. Namely Gabriele, Heaven's Guardian, a strong and beautiful card. After one week, they along with another group of people had become finalists.

"I wonder what they have as card," Bukura said as they walked the way over to the building. The founder of the event had sent for both groups. "I wonder whose sponsoring the event,"

"Who ever it is," Joey said. "I hope it isn't Pegasus,"

"Agree!" the all yelled and laughed. Well, everyone but Seto.

"Come on Seto!" Kari whined as she turned into Naffinni. It was easy to see the difference between the two of them. Naffinni was much more adult like and Kari was always joking around. "You really need a sense of humor,"

"You try to laugh over the fact that the guy almost killed my brother!" Seto snarled.

"Hey!" Kari snapped. "The guy killed my parents, but you don't see me as a sour puss,"

It turned out that the other team was a bunch of American punks who had gotten a bit big headed over their winning trek.

"Kari!" Someone yelled as they entered the door. A brown hared girl screamed happily before grabbing Kari around the waist and hugging her like crazy. The girl's group joined in hugging her. "Oh my gosh! Kari Motachi where have you been? We missed you so much!"

"Yeah!" A smaller boy cried as he flung his arms around her. His blond hair sent everyone an eerie reflection of the younger Joey. "Last thing we heard from you was you were going to the Duelist Kingdom,"

"Yeah!" A black hared teenaged boy yelled as he slapped his hand on Kari's back. "Last thing I heard was you got adopted. Well is it true, Kari?"

"Hi guys," Kari replied with a weak smile. "I missed you too,"

"You know them?" Seto asked coldly. He didn't like strangers too much.

"Oh my GOSH!" The girl screamed. "It's Seto Kiaba! How did you get in team with him?"

"Adoption," Kari answered weakly. "These are my old friend from the orphanage. Annie, Timmy, and Brad,"

"Hi I'm Timmy!" The little kid said and shook Yugi's hand. "Who are you?"

"I'm Yugi," Yugi smiled and Annie shook his hand after.

"Oh my gosh!" She cried. Annie appeared to be a young teenager with her hyper emotions. "That's so cute! You have a little Egypt thingy too,"

"Is she okay in the head?" Joey asked Kari noticing the girl's strange behavior.

"I'm still trying to solve that mystery," Kari muttered as Brad walked up to Seto.

"Arr," He muttered in a cocky way. "He ain't so tuff,"

"Um Brad," Kari replied in an annoyed voice. "He happens to be the one, who adopted me,"

"Smooth move, kid," Seto mucked, as Brad looked horrified. Seto placed his shoulder on Kari's shoulder and smiled something he did rarely.

A servant entered the room. "Please follow me to the study," He asked. "Mr. Mayor will join you there, and please don't touch anything!"

"Shish!" Timmy whined as he pulled back his figures from a chine vase.

The study was huge, filled with accent objects, namely Egyptian items. Annie made herself busy pestering Seto as Timmy ran off in search of a good game, leaving Brad asking Yugi for help to find the six-year-old. In the end, only Bukura and Kari remained in the room looking at the objects.

"Wow!" Kari cried as she looked at a huge stone wall piece that had been placed in the center. "I can't believe it's in one piece!"

"What is it?" Bukura asked looking at the writing on it.

"This is Egyptian history, my friend," Kari replied as she search her backpack. With in seconds, she pulled out an old and dusty looking book. "The oldest of its kind," Kari ran her figures down the stone and frowned.

"What is it?"

"It's telling a story, but it doesn't make sense," Kari answered and looked inside the book, flipping from page to page. "Something is missing,"

"Where did you get that book?"

"My parents were historians or explorers. I'm not sure which. My relationship with them was cut of by Pegasus," Kari explained. "They spent most of their time in Egypt, digging up treasures from Pharaohs tombs. That how I got my Millenium necklace. Anyway, my mom kept deep track of everything they found, along with her notes on how to translate ancient Egyptian in her journal,"

"Well," Bukura asked drawing his attention to the stone. "What does it say?"

"Roughly translated, it says…

At the birth of time, the great god Ra created eleven manacles of dark power, which he used to protect the mortal realm with. One day, he lost four of them to the evil god Osiris…

"Who?" Bukura asked being unfamiliar with the name.

"Osiris was the god of the under world," Kari explained as she flipped to a page showing an Egyptian drawing. "His greatest wish was to rule the mortal and immortal realm,"

"World domination," Bukura said with a sigh. "Why aren't I surprised?"

"Anyway…

With in great need of help, Ra asked his most faithful mortal, a young pharaoh, to battle Osiris for the four manacles. When the pharaoh won the battle, Osiris tried to cheat him by keeping the manacles. He was banished into the Darkness where he would wait until his would be released. Fearing this, Ra left seven manacles in the mortal realm for the pharaoh to protect. As a sign of his graduated, Ra gave the pharaoh…

"What?" Bukura asked as Kari stopped speaking. "What did he give him?"

"That's it," Kari answered. "It ends there. It's missing a piece,"

"What about that little writing down there?" Bukura asked as he pointed at the bottom right corner.

"It says," Kari replied as she squinted. "Forever together,"

"Hey guys!" Yugi called as he returned to them. Kari smiled wail blushing and Bukura groaned. "What's with him?"

"Nothing," Kari answered as she packed away the book. She smiled again. "Just a historical disappointment,"

"Huh?" Yugi asked as Kari kissed him on the cheek and wondered off. Joey had just entered as she kissed Yugi.

"What did I miss?" He asked looking almost annoyed over the scene.

"I'm not sure," Yugi replied as he started to grin himself.

"Nothing Joey," Bukura groaned. "It's all ancient history,"

"I'm impressed," A voice came as a man clapped slowly. Kari turned just as Seto enter room. A man with white hair and almost lifeless eyes smiled at her. "It told me years to translate that wall, and here you are. A mere child reading the ancient language in five minutes,"

"Thank you," Kari said with a feeling of discomfort. He walked up to her and looked at the necklace.

"I see you have an interest for Egyptian items. Good, I like that in a person," He said in a creepy way. "I see that your two other friends have some as well,"

"They are family items," Kari lied. "We hold them dear,"

"I see," He said with a smiled as Annie, Brad, and Timmy entered the room. "I'm Siriso Mayo. Welcome to my home. Before we battle, how about some food?"

"Sure!" Annie and her group cried.

"That would be nice," Kari replied but stayed close to Yugi and Seto.

"What's wrong?" Yugi asked.

"It's like I know him and yet I don't," Kari answered looking very confused. "What ever it is, it's giving me the creeps,"