Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Tesseract ❯ Death to Cellular Phones ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

R_S: Hey! It's 9:26, and I didn't sleep all night! You know when your body's ready to collapse but your mind is hotwired and buzzing with action? Well, if you don't, you are one extremely blessed soul. I am so having lots and lots of coffee this morning. In other news, I finally took my man-eating worm and put it back in its cage. Zander is resting `cause the chase really took a lot outta him.
 
Zander: (out cold)
 
R_S: … and now for something completely different! Shout-outs:
 
yami1: I'm sorry it was so hard to follow; I was under the impression that it was painfully obvious. Then again, I already know what's gonna happen in the story... Anyway, the blue-eyed one was Kaiba and the amethyst-eyed one was Marik. The third 'suitor' is a surprise. Sorry for the confusion. I'm glad you like the story; I worked really hard on it. I definitely plan to continue… for now at least! (Winks)
 
peeps: Wow… thanks for the great review. It's a good thing winter break gives me just enough time to post one more chapter, and maybe more!
 
 
Chapter 3
Death to Cellular Phones
 
Téa walked quickly down the sidewalk, fully taking in the glorious day. Actually, if one were to merely glance at the young girl, they would think she was running. Her speedy pace was inherited from her father, as was her ability to sleep through nearly anything. But, that's far beside the point. As Téa traveled home her eyes witnessed the sleek limo passing by. She did her best to ignore it and the feeling that bloomed in the pit of her stomach. Well, actually, the feeling was more like that of a rock being dropped than something blooming, but you get the picture. She was thankful for the distraction when her phone rang.
 
“Hello?” She answered brightly.
 
“Téa? It's Serenity.” A soft voice erupted from the other end. ((An: Ha! I'll bet you assumed it was Isis, but you were wrong! Not really sure what the point of that outburst was…))
 
“Hey, what's up? Did you give any thought to what I told you last week?” Yes, it was true. They had conversed for quite a while a few days ago, Joey's younger sister being in dire need of advise.
 
Serenity had called at about six. She knew Téa's family either ate inhumanly early, such as at four o'clock, or inhumanly late, like nine. So, she knew she wouldn't catch her at a bad time. Téa had been relaxing and daydreaming… about a certain blue-eyed CEO. True, she had at one point harbored feelings for the ancient pharaoh Yami, but that was done with. Like most secret crushes, once she got over the initial shock of being attracted to the person, and figured out what she did and didn't like about him, it faded. She gradually became less uncomfortable around him, until her feelings had completely vanished. Soon, Yami became just another one of the guys. Although, he'd never be one of the guys, since that titled was reserved for Yugi, Tristan, and Joey, and Yugi, Tristan, and Joey alone.
 
After answering the phone and hearing her usually perky friend sounding so confused and forlorn, Téa was shocked, to say the least. She allowed Serenity to spill her feelings and was not surprised to hear what the inevitable problem was. The poor girl was bound to hear something like this sooner or later. Better sooner than later. It was common knowledge that Tristan Taylor and Duke Devlin were having an all out war over Serenity Wheeler's affection. And the young girl had kept quite about her own opinion, until now. Serenity breathlessly rambled on and on about how annoying it was and how she wished they would just ask her who she had a crush on instead of pointlessly arguing. All of which sparked the unavoidable question of whom she had chosen. Her shy answer: Tristan.
 
Apparently, she had overheard Duke talking to one of his friends, with whom neither she nor the rest of their little group was acquainted. Serenity now knew the truth. Duke Devlin was interested in her for three extremely superficial reasons: She was hot, she was naïve, and someone else wanted her. He was just another loser looking for a good time. She was fully intent on giving him a piece of her mind, when someone else decided to do it for her. Duke was heavily lectured on how amazing Serenity was, and how she shouldn't be sold short. He was told how undeserving he was and how he had no right to come after her with such sleazy intensions. “Dude, you're an awesome duelist and an ok friend, but when it comes to dating, you're a shallow bastard.” And, with that final remark, her savior stalked off in a huff. Of course, who better to come to her rescue than Tristan Taylor himself?
 
Funny thing was, before hearing Tristan say all those wonderful things about her, she had been harboring feelings for Mokuba Kaiba of all people. Apparently she had thought he was adorable and had the usual fourteen-year-old crush. She somehow found him intriguing, despite his being four years younger than she. Serenity had nearly acted upon these feelings, and would have, if not for Duke's treachery and Tristan heroics. After the amazing speech she'd witnessed her feelings towards the diminutive boy vanished in a puff of smoke. She came to terms with the fact that it had been nothing more than a minor crush, similar to her first one, on a boy in her school by the name of Sota Higurashi, which had lasted approximately four months. ((An: I do not own Inuyasha)) Her tenderness now focused on Tristan.
 
“Yes, Téa. I gave what you said a lot of thought.” Serenity had been instructed to take action, talk to Tristan. Téa argued that they both liked one another, so there shouldn't be a problem. Besides, Joey would be much happier to hear of his little sister having relations with his closest, most trusted friend rather than some complete stranger.
 
“So? Are you gonna tell me or do I have to give you the third degree?” Téa joked light heartedly, her melodious laugh floating lightly through the crisp, autumn air. Serenity took a deep breath.
 
“I'm going to take your advice. I'm telling Tristan the next chance I get.” The emerald-eyed girl squealed with excitement.
 
“That's great, Ren!” The other girl exclaimed, using one of her many nicknames, which also included `Seren'', ``Renity', and `Copper Locks'. The last one was obviously derived from her hair color.
 
“I know! Gosh, I'm so excited… and totally ready to get this done. I'm really ready to do it today. Should I call him?”
 
“No, definitely not. This is something very sensitive, and should be done face to face. I'll even give you some insider info. We're all meeting at the game shop at three. We'll be there all day.”
 
“Really? Thanks a million Téa! I'll head over right away.”
 
“Okay then,” Téa chuckled, “I'll see you soon.”
 
“Bye T'!” Serenity called upon one of the girls many nicknames, which also included `Tay' and `Stix'. `Stix' was actually joke nickname Serenity had picked up while some gang members were hitting on her friend. Upon further explanation, they discovered that the boys had been describing her shapely dancers' legs, not to mention the fact that she was as skinny as a stick. The guys once joked that if she turned sideways she'd disappear, except for her womanly assets. Unfortunatly for them, she overheard. They had gone through a world of hurt.
 
“See ya later, Serenity.” The girls hung up simultaneously.
 
Téa took a deep breath of fresh air. Well, she was in the middle of doing so when her phone rang once more. She answered.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Téa?”
 
“Marik!?!?!?” `Why am I constantly running into him? Hell, forget that, why is he calling me? This is just too confusing!'
 
“Hey. `Sup?” ((An: Forgive me, but at this moment Marik must be trés suave and trés ooc.::IMPORTANT:: It was important for Marik to be obsessive, as you will soon see. Things work better that way.))
 
“Um… I don't mean to sound rude,” `Yes, actually, I do!' “But, why are you calling me? And, why are you even in Domino City?”
 
“I'm living with my sister again, as you've probably guessed. She decided we needed a change of scenery so we moved here. I'm calling you because you're the only person I know here.” `That I like.' He added silently.
 
“No I'm not. You also know Yugi, Bakura, Tristan, Kaiba… need I go on?” `Ok girl, just ignore the way your stomach flopped when you said `Kaiba'. Just pretend it didn't happen. C'mon, I'm begging you!'
 
“Fine, you're the only likable person I know.”
 
“`Likable'? Tolerable I could semi-expect, but `Likable'? You've definitely changed since we last met.” `Why is he so different?'
 
“Oh, believe me, I haven't changed that much.” `I wanted you back then too. This is no new development. Which is partially why that CEO can't have you…'
 
“Um… ok, whatever. So, why are you calling anyone at all?”
 
“Can't a guy request a tour guide without getting the third degree?”
 
“Tour guide? I didn't realize you needed someone to show you around Domino. I guess I can help…”
 
“Great. Can we hang out later, then?”
 
“Um… no. Not today, sorry. I'm hanging out with the guys. Tomorrow?”
 
“Sure. Tomorrow works.” `Damn them! Those creeps she calls her friends are almost as undeserving as Kaiba is… almost.'
 
“Cool… hey, um… can I ask you one more thing?”
 
“What?”
 
“What was with the odd behavior earlier? You were cool and collected one minute, then you just stalked away. What was up?”
 
“… Jetlag, made me moody.” `Plus, I noticed that slimy creep with his eyes all over you.'
 
“Um, ok then.” `I don't buy it!' “Guess I'll see you tomorrow… when do you start school?”
 
“Monday.”
 
“Uh, sweet. I'll see you around then. Bye!”
 
“Goodbye.” Téa quickly hung-up before he could change his mind about saying good-bye and keep talking.
 
`That… was unexpected. Something isn't right with Marik. Maybe I can coax it out of him tomorrow. Oh well. I'd be-' she was cut off by the sound of her cell-phone. `Not another call! If it's Marik again I may scream.'
 
“Hello?” She sighed out in annoyance.
 
“Gardner?” `Shit, Kaiba!'
 
“Kaiba? Why are you calling me?” `Uh-oh, stomach flop!'
 
“I just got a call from Isis.”
 
“… So?”
 
“She said to watch out for you.”
 
“Really? How come?” `Why wasn't I informed?'
 
“I was hoping you could tell me” `Hide the worry from your voice… Hide the worry from your voice…'
 
“Awwww… don't tell me that the great Seto Kaiba cares about what happens to poor, little ol' me, now?” There was a long silence. “Um… wow, Kaiba. I'm… I mean… thanks.” `Oh. My. God. Hecares! Yes!'
 
“Yeah… well… whatever. I only care because it may have something to do with the Egyptian God cards. Don't get used to it.” `That's right, Seto. Just keep telling yourself that and it'll come true. She'll never see you sweat. Great… I'm talking to myself now. This day just keeps getting better and better.'
 
“Still, thanks. It's been a while since it really felt like someone cared. I mean, I know my friends do, but they only count for so much… anyway, I'm sure you have more important matters to attend to, so I'll stop boring you with my useless inner thoughts. Good bye, Kaiba.” As she hung up, he listened to the click and her ears picked up a faint beeping noise. `God, now I'm telling him my deepest feelings. He must think I'm an idiot.'
 
She shook her head and began to walk home. Began being the key word, because her cell phone soon rang for a fourth time. `You havegot to be kidding me!!!! Note to self: destroy all cellular phones.'
 
“Hello?” This time, Téa answered it with more than slight annoyance.
 
“Téa?” A timid voice echoed from the other end of the line.
 
“Oh, hi Yugi. Why are you calling me? We're seeing eachother…” Her eyes widened as she glanced down at her watch, “twenty minutes ago!?!? Oh Yugi, I am so sorry! I didn't mean for it to get so late, I mean, first I'm talking to Serenity, then Marik calls, and then, by some freak of nature, Kaiba calls too! I am so sorry! And, ugh, I'm still pretty much at the same point I started at!”
 
“Woah, hold on a second dere!” Joey's voice now came through. “Marik n' ol' moneybags called ya? How come?”
 
“Ugh it's a long story. I'll tell you guys when I get there.”
 
“'Kay. By da way, lots mo' people have been showin' up.”
 
“Really? Like who?”
 
“Well, Mai, Devlin, Ryou… get dis, moneybags came wit Mokuba! N'… HOLY SHIT, YA WEREN'T LYIN'!”
 
“Joey!?!? What happened?!?!”
 
“I tought yous was makin' it up, Téa, but ya're right. Marik is here!”
 
“Well, as you now know, I wasn't `makin' it up'. Anyone else?”
 
“Yeah, my sis', but she says she's got somethin' she needs ta do, but can't `till ya get `ere. Hey, Isis just walked in too. She's da one dat sent everyone `ere. Do you know why?”
 
“No, Joey, I don't. Tell Serenity I'll be there as soon as possible. See ya in a few, bye!” Téa hung-up, and was fully prepared to sprint towards the game shop when she noticed a shadow looming over her.
 
An earsplitting scream echoed through Domino City. If only the streets hadn't been empty, perhaps someone may have heard it…
 
End of Chapter
 
 
R_S: Ooh… and evil cliffy! Leave lots of reviews! I must admit, I'm very proud of myself. I wrote 7