Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Too Much To Ask ❯ Second Duel ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
 
Too Much To Ask
 
-
 
Chapter 4: Second Duel
 
-
 
Eshe's Point Of View
 
-
 
Two locator cards…four more to go, I thought, feeling my lips curl into a small smile. Once I obtain them, I will be guaranteed a spot in the Battle City Finals. That just has to get Seto's attention.
 
After defeating Hiroshi, I continued my stroll down the busy street. It reminded me of New York City, where I'd done a few performances. There were people everywhere; cars were bumper-to-bumper, and horns were blaring. Huge buildings towered over the citizens of Battle City. I scanned the streets carefully, searching for my next opponent.
 
I immediately spotted a weak looking boy with greenish hair and round glasses. He had knobby elbows and knees. He was kneeling on the floor, looking rather depressed. I strode up to him confidently, offering a hand in greeting.
 
“Hello, my name is Eshe Tutankhka. Would you like to duel me for a locater card?” I asked him.
 
I am Weevil Underwood,” he stated, his voice shrill. “I am the Champion of the Duel Monsters Regional…you're going to regret ever challenging me…”
 
Weevil Underwood? I realized, my eyes widening. Shoot…I didn't even recognize him…
 
“I'll duel you on one condition,” he continued. “We're not putting up our rarest cards…I already lost my precious Insect Queen to that bug, Wheeler…” Weevil's muttering about Wheeler carried on, followed by a string of colorful words.
 
“All right,” I agreed. “Let's duel.”
 
The dueling system commenced, shooting out the hologram projectors on either side of the playing field. The two of us drew five cards; my hand contained Magician of Faith, Maha Vailo, Graceful Charity, Luminous Spark, and Spirit of the Harp.
 
“You can go first,” Weevil told me. “You'll need all the help you can get.”
 
I snorted, positioning my Spirit of the Harp face down on the duel disk. “I place one card face down in defense mode,” I announced. “Your turn.”
 
“I put a monster in defense mode,” he sneered. His ugly face twisted into a wide smirk. “And I'll place one card face down.”
 
He must be planning something, I thought. But what could it be…?
 
I drew a card, which was Neo, the Magic Swordsman. “I play Neo, the Magic Swordsman, in attack mode!” I shouted.
 
To heck with it, I may as well attack.
 
“Attack, my mighty warrior!” Just as the swordsman lunged towards his target, he was blocked by a trio of females. They appeared to be praying.
 
“I activate Waboku! Your attack inflicts no damage,” Weevil proclaimed.
 
His voice is already getting on my nerves!
 
Weevil's insect-based deck proved to be quite difficult to compete with. His insect warriors were full of surprises and special effects. His additional trap and magic cards aided him well; even the spellcasters in my deck that I once viewed as indestructible had been defeated.
 
My only hope was my Chaos Command Magician.
 
I had managed to summon him onto the field. My second Luminous Spark was also in play, giving him an attack power of 2900.
 
I've got the match in the bag, right? There's only a few cards that have an attack power higher than 2900.
 
And unfortunately, Weevil happened to have one of those cards on his side of the field. His Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth hovered protectively in front of that green-haired dung beetle, even as it was trapped behind my Swords of Revealing Light.
 
I had one turn to draw an Axe of Despair.
 
But I knew I wouldn't draw it. I had already used both of my Axes of Despair. And my Magician of Faith had been destroyed earlier, so I could not even use her effect to bring back my Axe of Despair.
 
I knew there was no way that I could win, but I refused to surrender. I'd do anything for another opportunity to speak to Seto. To help him through whatever he's going through.
 
On my final turn, I drew my Black Pendant card. I attached it to my Chaos Command Magician, raising his attack power to 3400.
 
I only needed one hundred additional attack points to destroy Weevil's Great Moth, even if my magician was obliterated in the process.
 
I was going to lose.
 
“Attack, my precious Moth!” Weevil screeched. Its wings fluttered, waving its poisonous dust in the direction of my magician. The Chaos Command Magician remained steadfast for several seconds, using every ounce of his willpower to fight off the attack. Finally, with a resonating cry, my magician was annihilated.
 
The holograms faded away, and I fell to my knees, tears pouring down my cheeks.
 
“Cough'em up,” Weevil ordered. “Gimme your locator card.”
 
I chucked the stupid plastic card at him, still sobbing.
 
How am I going to get to the Battle City Finals now? I only have one locator card…it's virtually impossible for a mediocre duelist like me to obtain six of them…
 
I sighed. It was going to be a long day.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
 
I know Joey kicked Weevil out of the Battle City Tournament, but for the purposes of this fic, let's pretend Weevil still had one locator card left.
 
Please Review!