Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Trails of the Heart ❯ What's Left Unanswered ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Trails of the heart by DarkAmethyst II

Anime: Yugioh overall fic rating: pg-13

Disclaimer: I don't own any part of Yugioh so no law suits please.

Author's note: This is my first Yugioh fic or my first attempt at any fic. I really appreciate comments and suggestions on how I can improve or proceed with this story, so please don't hold back. If you want to say something about it, feel free to proceed by e-mailing me at angelontherunus@yahoo.com. Also if you want to criticize, that's ok too as long as you again tell me why you don't like it. Please Note: I have only seen the American Yugioh series so all my characters pretty much have their American personalities and Anzu is Tea.

Summary: Finally after three and a half years and a break up with Yugi

Anzu finally gets up the courage to tell Yami how she really feels about him. As expected he doesn't feel the same way but instead makes this remark about what she really feels for him is not love but just some silly school girl crush. How dare him. How will Anzu react. Find out.

Chapter 1- What's left Unanswered

The rain poured endlessly into the night as it pounded against the triangular rooftop of the Mutou household, falling like marbles which pelted its rather shapeless yet circular liquid form against their windows, doors and outer property. Yugi sat rather unsteadily on his bed as he peered up, with worry, at the clock that had just struck 11:30 p.m., then at his window which dripped with water and finally at his duel monster's deck which he clutched safely in the palm of his hand.

" Where could he be " Yugi asked himself with deep worry.

His stream of thoughts were interrupted by a loud rattling sound followed by a loud "Bang"

The door flew open as the lights went out to reveal a dripping wet figure at

the door

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"

Yugi hollered, jumping out of his bed, grabbing his table lamp, ready to defend himself as his heart started to race. The lightning struck from behind him and the figure stepped forward. Suddenly the lights flickered back on and there in his mist stood a soaking Yami.

"Yugi!" Yami yelled in shock glancing down at the lamp Yugi was about to bash him over the head with.

Yugi gasped in relief<its just Yami>. He lowered the lamp, placing it gently on his desk and quickly rushed to get a towel for Yami from his drawers

"Here you go Yami"

"Thanks, abiou"

Yami sat down in Yugi's desk chair wiping his face and clothes with the

towel he had received.

"Where have you been Yami. I've called like everyone and nobody knew where you were".

"I needed to clear my mind "looking away.

"In the rain"

"Yes! In the rain"

"No..... This is because of Anzu isn't it? Huh." said Yugi with a yeah I can tell face.

Yami stared at him surprisingly "how..."

But was interrupted

"Anzu called me to tell you that she'll be alright and that you don't have to worry about her"

"Oh" he replied oddly.

"I don't know exactly what happened, but what ever happened, Tea seemed a little hurt by it. She wouldn't even talk to me".

Flashback

The phone rang "ring" "ring"

Yugi: Hello! Motou residences

Anzu: Yugi! Is that you? (Sounds of sniffling and wiping)

Yugi: Anzu are you all right? What happened, did someone hurt you?

Anzu: No (deep sigh) I'm fine Yugi. (More sniffling) Don't worry about m (sniff) I'll survive. Is.... Yami with you?

Yugi: No.. But if you want I'll tell him to cal....

Anzu: No! (She shot fiercely) It's ok I... was... hoping he wasn't. Can you

help me tell him that I'll be all right and that he doesn't need to worry.

Yugi: Sure I guess but why?

Anzu: I... kind of ran off after our conversation and I didn't want him to worry.

Yugi" Don't worry Anzu I'll tell him (he answered cheerfully)

Tea: Thanks Yugi, you're the best and you always will be (sniff)

Yugi: (blushing fiercely) So what did you guys talk about. Anzu? Anzu? (The phone line was dead)

End Flashback

For a moment tension filled the air until

"What did you say to her Yami" Yugi blurted out at last

Yami just shifted awkwardly in his seat for a while like he didn't really want to get into the subject.

"It's complicated Yugi"

"What could be so complicated. Just tell me what you guys talked about"

Yami shifted his eyes towards the window, looking out into the distance as he tried to recall the proceedings of the earlier morning.

Flashback

It was one of those late foggy afternoons when the sky turned a kind of darkish grey and the wind's breeze could send shivers down your back. Anzu starred up at the dark grey as she waited anxiously in the shelter (not where homeless go shelter but the beautiful Canopy shelters with the marble benches and poles) built in the middle of the park. It was really getting cold out as she stood their trembling with nothing on but her knee high brown boots and her short brown mini skirt which flared out, topped with her light pink turtleneck with a small brown vest over it. Anzu shut her eyes tight as she felt another breeze blow down her back. Just as it did, someone gently placed a long yet mildly heavy coat over her shivering shoulders. She opened her eyes slowly to get a glimpse of her savor in this harsh enviorment and it was no other than Yami wearing a duplicate of Yugi's school uniform.

"Yami! You came" Anzu replied as her face brightened from the sight of him.

"Why wouldn't I, you asked to see me didn't you"? Yami glanced at her as his big violet eyes met her blue ones.

"Yeah but I didn't think that you um I mean I knew but I ugh (suddenly feeling really pathetic) Never mind I'm just glad your here".

"Ok" he replied oddly

"Yami (her tone grew serious) the reason I wanted to see you was because I need to tell you something. Something that I really need to tell you before I make my final decision ".

"What is it Anzu"

She pulled away from him

"It's over Yami"! Anzu said sadly

"What do you mean its over"(sounding confused)

Anzu turned to face him face to face.

"I mean it's over between Yugi and me"

"What? When? How"?

"I tired Yami. I really did. (A layer of tears forming over her eyes) But I just can't lie to myself anymore and I can't lie to Yugi or you either. Yugi deserves so much better, Yugi deserves someone who can truly love him and only him. I can't give him that and I hate myself for it. I'm sooooooo sorry Yami".

"Why are you telling me this"

" Yami (grabbing his hand) I can't love Yugi because I.... I...

End Flashback

Meanwhile in another part of town the thunder roared as the rain continued to fall upon the small city of Domino. Within one of the many other houses within Domino a sad Anzu sat by her Window sill in her dark unlighted room, watching the rain drops shatter against her clouded window. Each droplet shattering like the dream she had once had for Yami. Her forehead rested easily against the cold window as she hugged her pillow close towards her. From her red puffy eyes it was apparent that she had been crying for hours and her wet soaking clothes proved she too had been roaming around in the rain.

"How could I have been such a fool" Anzu asked herself as she began to sob once more, choking endlessly from her try soar throat. The tears flowing once more through her dry shrunken eyes.

Flashback

"I still love you"

Anzu looked up at him, scanning his huge violet eyes for a reaction or some clue on how he felt about this. Slowly she felt his hands move up her shoulder as worry grew in his eyes. Yami took in a deep breath, letting out a small sigh as he gathered himself from the shock. After a long silence he looked at her soothingly as he rubbed her shoulders gently with his thumbs.

"Anzu, (sighs) I think that you're a terrific friend. You've always been there for Yugi and me when we needed you but I...I don't.... I mean I can't...its just meant....

Yami was stumbling over his words but Anzu saw it in his eyes, (I'm so sorry look) as fear started to grow in hers and she started backing away from him. The tears foaming in her soft blue eyes, rolling swiftly down her rosie cheeks falling like tiny crystal droplets that shattered to the ground on contact.

Thunder roared from the dark grey sky as the rain began to pour down over the park.

"I was right all along. How could I have been so naive? I knew and they knew but I refused to believe and now..." she covered her mouth as small sobbing sounds started emanating from her.

"Anzu" he called out, reaching out a hand to wipe away the tears from her face.

"No! Don't touch me" she hollered as anger grew in her voice and hate comprised in her eyes. She slapped his hand away from her and turned to run but Yami grabbed onto her arm as she did.

"Don't do this Anzu, there are plenty of guys out here who would die to have a chance to be bedazzled by your presence. Although you are feeling hurt right now I now that in time you'll heal. Please don't let this silly crush ruin everything that we do have. Don't you get it yet it's not love, it really isn't.".

" Silly crush. How can you just call what I fell a silly crush. What gives you the right to have a say on how I feel. What gives you the right hurt me so much and not care.( starts having trouble breathing) I need to get out of here. Please Yami just let me go (tugging at his grip) I can't do this. I feel that I'm suffocating right now, I just can't... I can't"

Anzu looked like she was loosing it as she started panting back and forth, breathing heavily.

Yami tightened his grip " Just tell me that you'll be alright".

Anzu stopped her panting and in doing so turned towards him calmly

"I'll be alright Yami. You can't protect your friends from everything. There are some challenges they need to overcome themselves, but I promise I won't do anything irrational" she let out a weak smile.

Yami didn't want to let go but she seemed calm enough so slowly he released her from his grip. She took her opportunity and ran out in to the heavy rain. He just stood there for a while as the rain continued to drizzle upon the shelter, watching Anzu disappear in to the distance.

End Flashback

Anzu regained her focus as she began to shift from her position on the windowsill,

"I can't just sit here and mope over someone who doesn't feel anything for me."

She told herself, turning her attention to the ripped envelope to which was lain carelessly next to her desk. She carefully pulled the letter from the envelope and opened it, starring blankly at it for a moment.

"I al-most forgot about this"

Flashback

"Mr. Basin. You wanted to see me," asked Anzu, peering her head into his office.

Mr. Basin looked up from his desk "Ah Ms. Mazaki come in"

Slowly she entered his office, closing the door behind her as she sat down.

"Now Anzu. As your school councilor I have spent three and somewhat years with you looking for the perfect University to harness your unique dance talents in New York, correct"

"Yes. That's correct"

"Well now that graduation is growing nearer I'm please to inform you that you've been accepted to one of New York's most prestigious dance Academies.NY Academy for the Arts.

"Oh my God. This. Is. So. Cool" Anzu exclaimed as she practically jumped out of her seat.

"Wait until I tell Yugi and the others"

"Yes, that would be marvelous Ms. Anzu. However, being the prestigious school of the arts it is. It is required that you attend the one-week trial session during spring break to be fully excepted as a permanent student during the fall"

"But I can't Mr. Basin. This is the last spring break my friends and me will get to spend together before we go off to college. We were all planning to go watch Yami's big game.".

"Friends are important, but your future is at stake here. If you don't attend this session you don't have to bother getting into this dance school or any other in New York".

"Then I guess that's that" Anzu replied, getting up to leave

"Anzu. You don't know how big of a mistake your making"

She didn't reply

"This is more than just about your friends isn't it. It's about a guy".

Suddenly Anzu just froze right in her tracks.

"I'm right aren't I Anzu"

"I...I...I..."

"Look"! He finally said, getting up from his desk, stalking up to her then finally handing her a sealed envelope.

"Within this envelope contains the date and place you are suppose to be there and the plane tickets that will get you there"

"Mr. Bas..."

"Whether or not you go (he interrupted) is up to you. Though I'd hate to see such a talented young lady throw her own future away all for some guy"

"But I can't"

"Just think about it. You have nothing to lose." Mr. Basin said as he placed the envelope into the palm of her hand

Anzu looked at the envelope in deep thought.

End Flashback

"I guess Mr. Basin was right. What do I have to lose especially now. Besides he's right I never should of even thought about throwing my future away for some part of a person" she told herself as she discarded her pillow to the side along and got to her feet rather quickly, wiping the tears off her face with her fingertips.

Anzu pulled out a suitcase from beneath her bed and flipped it open as it landed roughly on her bed. Next she started pulling her clothes off the hangers, dumping whatever she felt was necessary into her suitcase. The clock struck 11:40 when she finished up and bolted the notches on her suitcase. She slipped out off her wet clothes into some nice dry comfortable ones followed by her brown mid length overcoat and zipped up before finally pulling out the plane tickets within the envelope.

"Shoot". The flight leaves earlier than I thought" she cursed nervously, grabbing her suitcase eagerly as she started rushing out the door when the phone began to ring unexpectedly.

"Now What. (Grabbing the phone) Hello"!

To be continued.................................................................. .