Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Transcending Memories: A Bond Unsealed ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note (May 2003): Well, what can I say about this story? Firstly, let me warn anyone who isn't a fan of romance between Yami and Tea/Anzu beforehand….. This story was inspired by the brief moments of interaction between them in the anime and manga (which I will make reference to when appropriate) as well as a vivid dream that I had one evening. Generally speaking, I have always believed that those two would make an interesting couple, but I wanted to add a twist to it, in order it make it more believable for the reader. The events may even come full circle by story's end, but I suppose only time will tell……

I am also taking reference from the Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories video game for the Playstation as I write this and though I am following story elements from the manga as well, specifically those from the Ancient Egypt arc, I simply opted to pick up where chapter 299 left off and then made my own interpretations afterwards. Even though I made reference to what I believe could happen, I chose to remain vague since explaining the details of those events is not my primary focus; for the time being anyhow…. I'm certain that a number of story developments that I have written here will be proven wrong, as future installments of this manga arc are released, but for this sake of this fan fiction, I am currently only including information up to that point. Also, I won't pretend to know what Yami Yugi's real name is, so throughout the course of this story, I will simply name him “Yami,” to avoid confusion.
Chapter 1


*So…. This is how it ends….* Yami thought to himself.

He felt the energy from his body gradually draining away as he lay unmoving and severely wounded on the palace floor. Allowing his eyes to travel in all directions instead, he gazed at the once richly and intricately gilded contents of the eastern wing, which had served as his throne room and his own personal training arena. Only days before, he had both witnessed as well as participated in dueling in that very place; but now there were only ruins, the mass destruction caused by his final confrontation with the thief Bakura. “Bakura….” Yami mouthed slowly.

His mind was beginning to grow hazy…. In his weakened state, everything that had happened seemed so muddled to him. The events had occurred so quickly…. But now, they were nothing but a blur; random flashes that were beginning to lose their clarity. He could recall….his pursuit of the treacherous bandit on horseback…. He could see visions of Osiris and Diabound in the sky; the slaughter of innocents, the panic and hysteria on the streets…. He could recall the fate of his loyal priests…having managed to lure Bakura back to the palace, away from his remaining subjects, and then, their final destined battle…. A fierce and devastating collision that had seemed endless, until finally Yami, who had already taken the full force of Bakura's assaults, had used his very life force to destroy Bakura utterly, and to make sure that the Millennium items, and whatever power they possessed, would be sealed away….along with him…. Lowering his eyes from the ceiling, Yami felt overcome with despair. He pondered his decision, though all along it had felt like the power to choose had been taken out of his hands from the very start.

*I should have known it would turn out this way….* He concluded to himself. *I have seen the future, both Bakura's and mine. If only I had known then, the first time…. But it's too late... I understand it now. The events are playing out exactly as they did all those years ago. This… All of this is nothing more than an illusion, recorded data no less; a world created by my subconscious.*

Despite these rationalizations, Yami still feared where his path would take him from this point on, as he looked towards the gleaming pyramidically shaped item that seemingly waited for his remaining strength to die out. What would become of him? Where would he go? Would he simply perish here, his soul inhabiting the Millennium Puzzle, only to wait for several thousand years until Yugi awakened him again? Would this be some sort of cruel eternal wheel that he would have to undergo time after time? No, surely that would be beyond cruel…..beyond pain, beyond suffering….. Such a fate would be worse then hell itself!

Or, would reliving his death simply take him back to Yugi and his friends as if he had never left them? Would he then receive the answers that he had come for? He now knew the circumstances of the last days that he had lived; fragments of his life with his father, King Akunamukanon, the truth about Priest Seto and his faithful magicians Mahaado and Mana, and most importantly the full extent of Bakura's hatred…..a hatred so great that it would follow them both far beyond death, time, and space! But, as for his existence before that….it was still so unclear to him! What if he never regained his full memory? What if he was doomed to wander the earth, never attaining the peace and closure that he longed to find? What if-

Yami moaned in agony; interrupting his train of thought. Even if this world was not real, the same could not be said for the physical pain that he was experiencing now. His entire body throbbed fiercely. He could almost pinpoint every gash, every injury that had been inflicted upon him; wounds that were worsened further still when he had used his own powers at the battle's end. Barely able to lift a hand, he then saw that his palm and the tips of his fingers were completely covered with blood; though as he continued to stare, this vision too began to grow dim. It would not be long now…. It was only a matter of time before-

*I have already died once.* He reassured himself. Closing his eyes, he placed his opposite hand gently upon the Millennium Puzzle. *I suppose none of this matters now….*
 
 
*************************************************************
 
 
 
In the streets of the village beyond, Teana had finally managed to push through the crowd that had been screaming in terror at the sight of the enormous beasts battling in the sky. Before she had been overwhelmed by that fleeing mob, she had seen him…..the man with ghostly white hair on horseback who had been wearing an object emitting a familiar, unearthly glow around his neck….. Laughing maniacally, he had quickly sped past her, for he was being pursued by….the pharaoh….

“Yami….” She whispered to herself as an intense fear had begun to engulf her.

Suddenly there was a pain in her chest, a sharp jolt that had seized her. She could sense it…. Her heart was telling her something. She knew that something had happened…something terrible…. *No!* She screamed internally. She wouldn't, couldn't allow herself to think that way. “I have to see him! I have to get to him!” She then decided.

Unseen by the other villagers, or the guards that were attempting to maintain order among them, she ran towards the palace as fast as her legs could carry her. In the back of her mind she became aware of the fact that no one was blocking her path! But then, she also knew that if Yami had indeed returned to the palace, to deal with that monster Bakura, she reasoned that he would have ordered everyone to evacuate the area, fearing for their safety. *That's just like him…..* She thought fondly, allowing herself a slight smile as she continued onward.

Finally arriving at her destination, she then stopped, pausing to catch her breath before looking up ahead. For a moment she could see nothing; nothing but smoke and dust accompanied by a thunderous rumbling, sounding in all directions! But, as it began to clear, she found herself completely taken aback, utterly stunned by the horrible sight before her eyes! “Oh no…. The palace!” She cried, cupping her hands to her mouth. The beautiful palace that she had seen so many times in the distance was now partially destroyed. Visible even in that dark, moonless night were rubble and debris; shattered representations of the once mighty rulers that had preceded Yami's reign, as well as crumbling obelisks and balconies; some of which were still crashing to the ground as she watched. And amongst the devastation were the bodies of the guards that had served on duty that very evening; guards that had dared to stand in Bakura's way during his earlier escape…..

Pressing her hand against her chest, her heart went out to those that had fallen in battle as she prayed that Osiris would take pity on them, granting them each a new existence in the after life; a reward for their courage and bravery perhaps…. And yet, seeing the vicious slaughter of these men only increased the terror within her. She then noticed that her breathing had become heavy and that her body had begun to shake uncontrollably. She was so afraid….afraid of what she would discover….inside…. But she quickly regained hold of herself, with all her might; repressing those thoughts. She simply had to find Yami….for that was all that mattered!

And so, Teana began her search, running from room, to room, to room in the enormous establishment which spanned to not one, but several buildings! However, even against these odds she allowed her instincts, the bond that she shared with Yami to guide her way…. Though panic and fear continued to plague her, she also remembered how she had once longed to freely explore the palace; to laughingly wander like a child in play, with Yami at her side…. Her heart began to ache at that thought, as she struggled to hold back the abundance of tears that were just waiting to be shed! In truth that was all she had ever wanted from life, to be with him, to live there happily, together…. Only days, hours before, she had finally begun to believe that her dream might even be possible…. But now….

Suddenly, as she had continued her run through a long and narrow corridor, she had felt a strange…indescribable sensation within her! She had never felt anything like it! It was almost as if….something had actually passed through her! Though the idea seemed ludicrous, she stopped momentarily to glance behind, but there was nothing and no one but an eerie silence, penetrated only by the flickering of torches that faintly lit her surroundings. Though she had been mystified by what had occurred, she dismissed it and continued searching, her mind calling for Yami the entire way.

Finally, she reached what she believed to be the throne room in the eastern wing of the palace, as she then halted before the entranceway. Still struggling to remain calm, she lightly touched the door, as if she was trying to sense something from within. Yes… This was the right place. She could feel it…. Somehow, she just knew that Yami was there! But….was she prepared to see him? Knowing that maybe….he…. She had to go inside! She had to know that he was all right! For what felt like an eternity, Teana slowly pushed the massive door open, it's loud creaking seemingly rivaling the sound of her racing heart beat! Within seconds her eyes frantically scanned the entire area until they at last fixed upon a figure lying on the ground….. As if something had struck her, she leaned against the threshold, attempting to maintain her balance. Unable to cross it, she could only stand there, momentarily, gasping in horror….