Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Transcending Memories: A Bond Unsealed ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Though it may seem evident to some, I have taken the character of Teana from the Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories video game and I have decided to recreate her as my own. In addition, I will call Anzu “Tea,” her dubbed name, in this story; taking into consideration that the two names are so similar to each other. I will also continue to switch from Yami's perspective to Teana's throughout this fan fiction, but I will separate these two points of view with a row of characters to hopefully avoid any and all confusion.

Also, I will admit that I am uncertain of the exact “rules” concerning Yami's so-called “World of Memory.” It is my assumption that major incidents are occurring as they once did and should, yet I still find it highly unlikely that every word that Yami has said, or even what has been said to him, are identical to those spoken the first time he experienced these events; especially taking into account that he is unable to remember how any of this happened previously at all! That much was proven in the real manga when Yami called Simon “Grandpa;” which Simon obviously found confusing! This was also true when Simon tried to interpret Yami's strange behavior when he first returned to the “past.” So I've decided to follow through with this concept; that the characters can interact and play off Yami's behavior, regardless of whatever happened before.
 
Chapter 2


“Yami… No….” Teana breathed, still powerless to move forward.

Her panic growing, she soon found herself unable to even think….! All that coursed through her mind was the sound of a loud pounding deep inside of her; paralleled by the labored wheezing that escaped her lips. The room was so quiet….and he was so still…. He had been hurt! She could see the evidence of piercing wounds across his body. And the blood….there was so much of it, a pool forming beneath him. She could then feel herself growing dizzy, her stomach churning; the nauseating sickness within her intensifying by the second! But before her legs could give out, before she could allow herself to collapse right then and there upon the floor, she suddenly felt as if she had been snapped awake; her senses returning. “YAMI!” She exclaimed as she rushed in his direction.

She knelt before him, uncertain of what to do! She felt….torn, torn between her paralyzing dread and the visibly ridiculous notion that told her to somehow tend to his excessive injuries. And yet, seeing the red strains growing larger against his white tunic made her more fearful than ever! She could barely stand to look! Her hands shaking, they shifted slightly from side to side as if she were afraid to touch him. What if she caused him more pain? Or if she did touch him would he still be- “Yami, are you there? Yami answer me, please!” Dismissing her terror, momentarily, she had quickly clutched his hand as she had begun calling to him. *Thank goodness…. It's still warm….* She thought, bringing it towards her cheek. There was a part of her that wanted to let out a sigh of relief at that realization. However….that did not necessarily mean that he was- “Alive….” She whispered, concluding what her mind had begun. “You've got to be alive! Can you hear me?! Yami please…..please speak to me!”

Still there was no response. He hadn't uttered a syllable, moved a muscle. Only the silence endured; a lifeless, disquieting calm that seemingly lasted for an eternity. It was as if she was caught in some dreadful, maddening stand still rather; a nightmare that made her blood boil hotly, her breathing alone disrupting the inactivity.

“Yami…” She said at length, gently trying to stir him again. Allowing her fingers to intertwine with his, Teana could now feel the lump expanding within the base of her throat. Feeling as if her mind, her very soul was crumbling piece by piece, she soon realized that she could no longer suppress her tears, tears that were beginning to fall steadily from her eyes. “Why…. Why….. Why won't you answer me? Yami… You just can't- No… I need you… I need you here…with me… You have to be all right! You know that I can't- That you're all I- I… I can't do this by myself….. I'm not strong enough to- Please, stay with me… Yami, I'm begging you….. Please!”

Even now, there was no reaction…..nothing…. Teana's heart too had begun to grow heavy….cold; completely engulfed by the sense of her loss. It was as if someone had doused some inner light, her remaining glimmer of hope; the harshness of this dawning reality becoming visible even in the dimming of her eyes, as her perception faded. Feeling as if she had also taken a fatal blow, she then proceeded to yield to that disheartening despair, to the beckoning darkness….. She didn't know what else she could do for Yami…. Worse yet, she hadn't done anything for him at all! She had been unable to help him! Not once in her life had she felt so utterly useless!

Her entire body, every limb, each fiber of her being was beginning to numb. She now wanted to give in to it… to those feelings…to the now welcoming abyss of emptiness….. She was just so….tired…..depleted mentally, physically and emotionally… Slowly, she laid her head down against Yami's heart, not caring anymore…. It didn't matter to her whether she lived or died….. She thought of nothing else but joining him…to be at rest…. And yet, even through it all….she couldn't stop herself from crying…..
 
 
*******************************************************
 
 
*What is that….that sound?* Yami asked himself internally.

He had nearly been consumed by the dark shadows that had been seeking to claim him when he heard something, someone calling him back again! *It's barely audible…. But I can hear someone….crying. But why? What's happening?* He thought, striving to regain the use of his senses. Yes.... He felt…that someone was there with him! But who?

Resuming the battle for his existing life force, his attempt to reemerge from the very jaws of death, Yami could now feel the pain rushing back to him first, a small hiss escaping his lips, unheard by the stranger present. He also felt the light pressure of what he believed to be a head against his chest, the weight of a figure above him. Or so he could deduce without the aid of vision; his eyes refusing to reopen due to his overwhelming weariness. As he breathed, he was then greeted by the scent of a faint but powerful fragrance, the scent of an exotic flower, a perfume of some sort; one that seemed recognizable to him….somehow. *This scent… This hair.... I know them….but from where? Just what is going on? I don't understand any of this!* Yami pondered, now summoning forth the remainder of his inner strength!

Inhaling again, it caught the attention of the one lying with him, prompting her own astonished intake of breath. Her… There was a woman there.... His eyelids at last beginning to flutter, he then struggled to focus upon the figure before him.

“Yami!” He heard her say, emotion present within her voice. Yes, even her voice sounded familiar, so very familiar…. With his eyes fully open, his vision clearing, Yami now saw the woman's shoulder length brunette hair….her light blue eyes….and then….her flustered yet delicate face….*TEA?!* Yami cried from within, his eyes widening. *Why is she here?!* He asked himself, confusion overtaking his mind. *What does this mean?!*
 
 
*****************************************************************
 
 
 
“Oh Yami…. I knew that you wouldn't- That you couldn't be- You did it…. You came back to me….” Teana choked, tears streaming down her face.

His hand still within hers, she brought it to her lips, kissing it gently. With a slight smile, she then placed it near her heart with a grateful sigh. “For a moment I thought- No… I was sure that I had lost you forever, that I would never see you alive again!” She cried. “But you did come back….. You came back…..”

Lowering the hand she held, Teana lovingly began to caress his face, repositioning his blond bangs from his field of vision; only to be puzzled by his foreign, unreadable expression. “Yami…. What is it? What's wrong?!” She asked apprehensively. Although his eyes now gazed into her own, the only emotion that she was able to comprehend from them was a strange, disturbing bewilderment…. “Don't…don't you recognize me? Yami, it's me, Teana!” She pleaded.

“Teana….” Yami whispered in response.
 
 
**********************************************************
 
 
 
*Teana….?* Yami thought again.

He felt his mind beginning to race, struggling to process this new development, while in turn, fiercely attempting to smash the barriers that protected any portion of his memory; whatever fragments that could possibly be accessible to him! This girl, this Teana….. Looking into her face, he only thought of Tea! The resemblance was uncanny…..with the exception of deeper skin tones, much like his own. And yet….as Yami continued to study her, he now noticed a few other subtle differences as well. She was of course dressed in the attire of that day of age, a short white linen dress, supporting the notion that she wasn't simply an illusion or the product of some bizarre dream! She also wore an array of colorful accessories of various shapes and designs: a beaded necklace, bracelets, anklets, a jeweled belt hanging loosely around her waist, and a pair of crimson hoop earrings. In addition, she had placed singular beads throughout her hair as well. This was topped with a vibrant headband, and a single braid on the left side of her face; features that further distinguished her from the future Tea. However, perhaps the key variation between them was her more….mature appearance. Much like Yami himself appeared to be older than Yugi, for instance, similarly this Teana seemed to be a few years Tea's senior.

Still, regardless of these observations, this girl's existence here presented Yami with more questions than it did answers. Like Seto Kaiba, was Tea also originally a resident of the past, reborn in the present? For what purpose had he met her in this manner? Especially now, of all times, when he could still feel himself being pulled from this world! Yami ceased his musings when he witnessed the sadness in Teana's eyes, a sorrowful expression that stirred him from within….. He felt a strange sense of guilt that had begun to overtake him as he realized that he was the cause of her pain….. Though he had not meant to reveal himself, it was clear that she had sensed something from his behavior towards her! Her gaze fixed sharply onto his own; as if she were searching for something; something that had once been there perhaps? Those sad eyes! What was it about them? The memory was just beyond his grasp! Tea…. Teana…… Tea…. Teana…... Those names continued to circulate endlessly in the depths of his mind until together, the past and present collided into one! And then, suddenly, there was a vision….one that was faded, distant, yet one in which he could still connect with….