Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Transcending Memories: A Bond Unsealed ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Author’s Note (March 2015): Well here we are again! Can you believe it? It's certainly hard to, (even for me!) given that it's been foreversince I have been able to work on this story of mine so consistently. As I mentioned in my previous chapter, particularly it's author's note, I am still recovering from a surgical procedure, and though I am still in need of bed rest, I wanted to make a genuine effort to progress with this piece, for the duration of that time. I am not certain HOW much more I will be able to write, but I suppose I won't know unless I try! Though it has been years and years since I began this work, it is still quite special to me, and if I am fully capable of doing so, I wish to pen all of the stories that have been locked within my mind for over a decade now. Please wish me luck everyone, as I'll try not to disappoint any of you that are still with me, after all this time! Thank you again, for all of your patience, understanding, and especially for your amazingsupport!
With this NEW chapter 6, which differs greatly to the original version, (as I had mentioned before) I am now entering entirely new territory within this work, in more ways than one!! Certainly I am beginning this installment with a different setting, along with finally being able to introduce a number of canon Yu-Gi-Oh characters that had appeared in the Millennium World or Ancient Egypt Arc of the storyline. But also, I am attempting to explore concepts that I had only BEGUN to scratch the surface of, even in the original 11 chapters of what I had written previously.


I suppose much of the specifics of what I wish to address will become clearer in the chapter itself, but for those most familiar with the story of Yu-Gi-Oh, I can only say that I had wanted to try to explore more of it's mythos as a whole: the events regarding the Millennium Items, their abilities, the affect they had on their users, and even the part Zorc Necrophades played; which appeared to differ greatly in both the anime and manga. I had felt that much of these darker elements were not elaborated on or fully explained in any incarnation of the tale, though it is possible that it was meant to be purposefully vague, or open to however the viewer/reader themselves wished to see it.... Either way, I suppose I will attempt to tell my own interpretation to what I had read or seen within the story, which will indeed be rooted to the original canon as much as possible, while also tying to my own conceptions that have evolved since I had begun this work; so many years ago! It may be a VERY tall order, one that may even be bigger than I am, but I can only hope that I will be able to see it through... I will try my very best at the very least! And now! Finally! It begins again! :D



Chapter 6


The setting sun burned brightly in the distance, a sight that would have normally captivated and even calmed the young prince who now gazed upon it. This time however, it had the reverse affect…. The sun now stood as a garish, berating symbol; one that clearly indicated the length of time he had been missing, the end of his freedom, and the coming of night that would spread its darkness like a plague across the evening sky….

In a daze, taking one unsteady step after another, Yami at last approached the palace gates, showing signs of tremendous weariness in mind, heart, body, and spirit. Before even making an attempt to proceed, Yami made certain that his hood was still in place. He then found himself smiling wistfully, as he turned his right hand, remembering how Teana had cleansed the back of it with such gentle care... And though he was grateful for that memory, sadly now was not the time nor the place for such sentiments! He had to enter the ground quickly, efficiently, and most importantly, unseen-


Yami's musings were stopped suddenly, as the massive doors slowly resounded before him as they opened! His mind raced, his eyes scanned frantically for a means of escape! However, through clenched teeth, he bitterly resigned himself to his fate; ready to face whichever person or persons who would appear before him. How foolish he had been! If he'd only allowed himself a clear moment to assess the situation- But his pride would not allow him to make such an embarrassing and recognizably futile effort to hide now. And so, with his head held high and his feet firmly planted, Yami prepared himself! Come what may!

Half expecting to see yet another array of soldiers charging towards him, Yami was even more surprised at the appearance of the solitary figure; Priest Mahado, the current wielder of the Millennium Ring!

The gates came to a grinding halt and with the the resonating noise. The slightly older man simply remained in the threshold, regarding Yami with an uncompromising sternness. Even in that twilight hour, without fail, Mahado was, as always, dressed from top to bottom in his immaculate white priestly robes. This was accompanied by his flowing cape of the same color, which gave him even more of a commanding presence. Along with the array of jewelry made of gold, on Mahado's neck, arms, ankles, and head, what was most prominent was of course the Millennium Ring itself, which hung loosely against his chest. It was the second of the sacred treasures that the young priest was chosen to now safeguard and utilize, the one that would quite often reverberate, both softly yet eerily...with only the slightest of movements....

Not wishing to dwell on this peculiar detail, as he vaguely wondered what had even prompted such a notion, Yami soon found himself looking up towards Mahado's intricate head piece instead, one that succeeded in covering every strand of the man's brown hair; hair that he once allowed to flow freely and openly when they were children... It was in stark contrast with the cold stranger before him,who had taken the place of his closest childhood friend... And though Yami was momentarily flustered by his intimidating stance, with his fists clenched tightly at his sides, he soon regained his own posture; as his eyes traveled upward to match the young priest's.


“Mahado.” Yami said at last.


“You've returned, my prince.”


“I have indeed.” Yami replied, with a touch of impatience. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have things in which I must attend to, else-” He then continued, as he began to make his way past the man blocking his path.

“I apologize for my rudeness, your highness.” Mahado began, interrupting him behind. “But within the hour, we are to perform a Millennium Trial. You are required to participate in the ritual in your father's stead.”

“Tonight?!” Yami exclaimed, turning sharply to face him again.


“Yes, my prince. It is your duty.”


“Duty... My duty, is it? Duty above all else is it, my old friend? Even at the expense of those who supported you in your endeavors? Who fought for you against all odds...so that you could always remain at his side... A pity to think it was all in vain, from the very beginning...” Yami's voice was low, yet piercing as he looked away.

Though the prince was unaware, Mahado had opened his mouth to speak, but had opted against it; silently closing his eyes instead.

“Even now, in confidence, you refuse to tell me the reason, or why you choose to now only address me as-” Yami began again, feeling the embittered weight of his own words. “I will be ready.” He then sighed. “I will see you when the time comes, Priest Mahado.”

Without turning to regard the young man that stood behind him once more, Yami left in the direction of his private quarters.

Mahado exhaled deeply, as if the priest had held his breath for the entire duration of their heated exchange. Shamefully, he bowed his head.

“You didn't tell him, Mahado. Why is that?” Said another voice, coming from his left.

“Master Simon!” Mahado exclaimed, as he witnessed the short, elderly man appearing from behind a pillar. “I- I can assure you! I can fully account for the prince's absence today! It was I who had asked him to-”


“Hush now. There's no need for that, my young friend.” Simon responded. Though the seasoned adviser of the king's face was partially covered, as was customary along with his own white robes, blue gilded hat, and matching cloak, Mahado was able to perceive the knowing yet sympathetic glance that was still visible from above that mask. “You can save the well meaning, though painfully obvious cover stories for those who are not nearly as familiar with our young prince's antics. What I would like to know is why you neglected to tell his highness that it was you who had fabricated the long list of excuses for his whereabouts since his departure, earlier this afternoon. It could very well have been the first crucial step in mending the rift that has been worsening between the two of you...one that even I find to be quite disheartening to behold.”

Much like in his prior debate, the priest chose to say nothing in response, or in his defense...

“In any case...” Simon breathed, as he attempted to move the conversation along. “It is quite unusual for Prince Yami to be absent for such an extended period of time. Even with his track record, it seemed unlike him, somehow....”

“Yes it did.” Mahado finally answered. “And to you alone I will disclose that that was precisely the reason that I felt compelled to do so. Perhaps the time was needed for the prince to reflect; or rather it could be to the contrary. Maybe he found it essential for him to escape his troubles, if only for this one day. I- I wanted to at least give him that.” He then elaborated.

“So I ask again, why didn't you tell him of such noble efforts on his behalf? I know that you are well aware of the fact that I have been watching you and his highness for as far back as either of you can remember. Through all of your schooling, your various training exercises, the childhood games that you would engage in, along with your companion, Mana.... Our prince's trust, respect, and even fondness for you is without question! It would have meant everything to him to know that you would go to such lengths to protect him!” Simon argued.

“To protect him.. That is indeed my role, and what must now be my sole purpose. It is becoming increasingly evident to those that surround him, perhaps even to the eyes of the entire kingdom, that his highness' time as the forthcoming pharaoh is drawing nearer, with every passing day. It is a truth that haunts me, for I must forever live with the fact that this is largely due to what I-” Mahado paused, in anguish. “I haven't the right to face the prince on equal grounds. I should never have even imagined that I could do so, despite his kindness, his acceptance, or-”


Mahado could then recall a very significant and cherished memory of their youth; words that had remained with him, to that very day.


“Really Mahado, what differences do you see between us?” A much younger prince had once said, as he attended to a venomous snake bite that had afflicted the would be-priest. “The same red blood flows within your veins, as it does in mine. We are alike in every way. And one day, the world will be as I envision it, we will all live freely without the distinction of social classes. I will make a promise you on this day, that I will do all that I can, to create this world.”



As his mind drifted back from that instance, one that he could still envision so vividly, he allowed himself a slight, yet fleeting smile...


“....or even his generous, yet idealistic dreams for a kingdom of equality.” He then concluded. “Though I say it with much regret, with much difficulty, it would appear that that simpler time has come to an end.... All that is left to me is to serve him faithfully, dutifully, in any way imaginable... That is my oath, now and forever.”

“Mahado, you-”


“Come Master Simon, we have a Millennium Trial in which to prepare for.” Mahado concluded as both he and his elder started on the path towards the palace hall. “However, I do have one request, if I may...” Mahado said, stopping abruptly. “Setting aside his recent troubles, I couldn't help but notice that the prince looked even more distressed upon returning than he had prior to his departure. When the opportunity presents itself, I hope that you can uncover the truth of what is now ailing him. Admittedly, I found it to be quite worrisome...unsettling...”

“Hmm...” Simon considered. “I know that the prince is taking the steady decline in his father's health particularly hard, but yes, now that you mention it...”


“What's more, around the same time that the prince was away... though it may sound strange to you, I had felt my Millennium Ring reacting, quite violently in fact, as if it were detecting a sudden surge of dark energy. It felt...somewhat similar to the power called upon in our proceedings, or the simulated battles in which we strengthen our magics and summoning capabilities, and yet, what I felt did not seem to occur on palace grounds.”

*I can't bring myself to reveal this to Master Simon,* Mahado thought inwardly, *but what disturbs me most of all, is the familiarity of such energies, I know that I had felt them once before, years ago, when I- Could it be possible? Has the prince also been-*

“But perhaps I am mistaken.” Mahado said aloud, for the sake of putting his own fears to rest, as well those of the elderly man who stood before him. “It is quite possible that the auguries that I received from my Millennium Ring are simply alerting me of the increasing number of ill intentions that have continued to spread across the land. Not that even this fact should be taken lightly, however! The hardened criminals that are brought before us, the ones that are inadvertently harvesting powerful and destructive Ka within their souls, this alone could be the cause of such erratic and foreboding signals. Furthermore, I believe that the Millennium Tauk has also begun to foresee the rise of such beasts, and it is for this reason that we must do everything in our power to extract and seal away these creatures, to ensure not only our own safety, but that of the entire kingdom's!” Mahado reasoned, convincingly.

“Yes.... I suppose you're right...” Simon quietly remarked.

*That has to be it! I would have known sooner, if-* Mahado attempted to rationalize again. “Returning to the topic at hand, I trust that you will do as I ask, Master Simon? You will attempt to question and ease the prince's suffering, if you are able?” “Yes, well... Though I can make no promises that our young prince will confide in me on such sensitive matters either, I will indeed make the effort to do as you say. On that, you have my word.”

“And that will be more than enough. I thank you, my old friend... Now then, it is about time that we took our places. Let us hurry. The trial awaits.” Mahado proclaimed as the two had once again begun to journey forward. In doing so, which had gone unnoticed by the older man, the young priest could not help but look down upon his Millennium Ring again, as it knelled both faintly and ominously, as they continued on their way....




As Yami entered his bed chambers, still aggravated, now, among other things, by his awkward and upsetting exchange with his once close friend, he then struggled to remove his concealing robes, only to feel the weight of what rested from within one of his many pockets. Promptly reaching to uncover whatever this curiosity proved to be, he was soon shocked to unveil the elusive Millennium Puzzle, which he had carelessly, and seemingly uncharacteristically brought with him on this particular excursion.

The dawn of this revelation was both perplexing in nature, as well as unnerving... Just when was it that he….? Reflecting back on the time in which he prepared to take his leave, it occurred to the young prince that he could not even remember placing it upon himself in this manner. Had he done so in previous outings also? Though he did indeed find this lack of clarity alarming in its' way, the fact of the matter was, that he could now reluctantly acknowledge how unsurprising this realization was to him as well….

Only now coming to terms with the truth, Yami could admit, with mounting difficulty, that what had occurred this afternoon was not the first time he had lost himself in the use of such power; to whatever extent that he was capable of acknowledging…. And each time, it had seemed that the Millennium Puzzle and his unusual attachment to the mysterious artifact had been at the heart of the issue. Or, was it simply that the item had stimulated what was already within him, beneath the surface? And if so, as he had ruthlessly warned the three women that he had terrorized that very day, what did this reveal about the nature of his own essence? The physical manifestation of his own Ka?

The Millennium Puzzle…. Since his earliest recollections, Yami’s father had told him countless stories about the seven holy relics, albeit vague in terms of their origins... But one decisive detail that was often mentioned was how they had been created shortly after his birth. As a final, desperate measure, they had been forged for the sole purpose of protecting their kingdom. And though his father, King Akunamukanon had wielded it shortly, during that legendary, thwarted invasion, it had been prophesied by priests and sages alike that it’s true possessor was the king’s only heir, the young Prince Yami. This most certainly appeared to be the case, even in recent times, as Yami was called upon more and more, as Mahado himself had said, to take his ailing father's place in royal affairs; even despite the fact that he had not yet been crowned king.

In the past, however, upon hearing these claims, when Yami was at last old enough to fully comprehend them, that is, he could recall a vague sense of foreboding in having yet another expectation placed upon him! Furthermore, he had once had a number of reservations about these strange powers, similar to his questions regarding the existence of the Millennium items themselves! What methods were used in their creation? From where did this magic draw its source? And if they were instruments of righteousness, peace, and justice as he had always been told, why was the darkness itself called upon in their utilization? Much like his desire to comprehend every feasible aspect in any area of interest, Yami had found these inquires, that would seem to have no legitimate answers to them, to be utterly intolerable, unsettling even; in the days that his training had first commenced anyhow…


Soon after, Yami’s perception had changed considerably when he, at last, tasted the darkness, the power that he could bend freely to his own will. Though he had been guided by those who had first wielded the items upon their conception, it had been abundantly clear, even to the most experienced of priests, that the young prince possessed both natural abilities and a keen intellect; allowing him to harness the shadows in ways never before attempted or even conceived in the previous generation!


And as Yami had continued to integrate himself further and further into the honing of these powers, the recurrent immersion in the dark realm, the ease in which he commanded the spirit beasts, he too had begun to believe that the stories were, in fact, true. Perhaps these items were a part of his destiny, a destiny that many now believed was bound directly to the darkness…

He... He was now uncertain of what to make of these facts, these conflicting, polarizing emotions, what he was or was not capable of comprehending, or... or what other harsh realities, what other secrets were left for him to expose; in regards to both the items and his own inner nature... And as he continued to wrestle with the painstaking severity of such notions, his mind flashed briefly to that of a young woman, one that, upon reflection, seemed like a bright light piercing through the darkness; one who's very presence had the power to soothe his troubled mind... Why...? Why was it that she-


At the sound of footsteps passing from outside his quarters, Yami realized that he would have to move quickly if he were to arrive at the expected time of the proceeding. Completely shedding the remainder of his peasant's attire, he then began to clothe himself in more suitable garb: a white sleeveless tunic, a linen skirt of both white and gold, a colorful belt of red and green, which additionally supported a colorful loin cloth of orange, red, blue and green. This was topped with a neck piece containing similar hues, golden bracelets on his lower and upper arms, as well as anklets and intricate matching earrings. He, of course, adorned himself with the specially made crown for the prince of Egypt, which now rested prominently upon his forehead. And lastly, as he stared briefly and unemotionally at the relic within his hands, he proceeded to place the simple rope in which it hung, over his head and around his neck. He was ready.

Despite the uncertainties, any fears that remained, Mahado had been correct in his assertion! It was his duty to pass the final judgment on the offender who would be brought forth before the court; and he would do so in his father's absence. Yami could only offer a simple prayer to the Egyptian gods that he could carry out his task with all the wisdom, and the masterful control, that was expected of him. He would act in the manner that his father would expect of him, which fueled his new found determination, not to be overcome again... With a final breath, Yami prepared himself, as he slowly and confidently took his leave.


Now approaching the throne room, located in the most central region of the palace's expansive structure, Yami soon found himself reminiscing about this particular wing, in which his father had often utilized, in years past. He gazed fondly upon the sleek and towering chair of solid, ornate gold, where his father would be seated proudly, majestically, and how he himself would stand diligently, while listening intently at his side. Somehow, even despite the colorfully carved embellishments, the decorated pillars and the telling scriptures; ones which portrayed centuries of noble and prosperous history, the graceful room now seemed disturbingly hollow and cold...quite unlike when the great Pharaoh Akunamukanon had reigned in this very place, both wisely and virtuously.

Upon his arrival, Yami could not help but be taken aback by the number of unexpected faces that had now turned to greet him! Surely they were not the individuals that he had originally anticipated to be present, with the exception of Mahado, the elder Priest Akunadin, and the regular appearance of Simon Muran.

“Isis, Karim, Shada...” Yami began, as he received them with a respectful, yet inquisitive air. “And Seto.” Yami said at length, turning to meet the intense gaze of the ambitious priest in training, who was, as usual, sporting his striking blue gilded tunic, which was layered over top his white robes, in addition to his large, complementing hat. “You're all looking quite well.”

“My prince!” The three said in unison, as they each bowed slightly. Only Seto remained upright, though he allowed himself a slight nod in acknowledgment for the young royal. Because of his rigid stance, it was then that Yami had noticed that the priest held a firm gripe upon the Millennium Rod, which had been partially hidden behind his crossed arms.


“As always, it is good to see you as well, Akunadin.” Yami remarked, as he welcomed the experienced wielder of the Millennium Eye.

“Your highness....” Akunadin said, in his expected calm and quiet voice. Dressed plainly in a hooded white robe, which had, in part, shrouded the priest's bearded face within the shadows, his attire, as well as his hushed tone, indicated that he was still as mysterious as ever...

“And Mahado!” Yami proclaimed soon after.

“Sire?” Mahado replied, with a touch of nervousness.

“You have my gratitude for alerting me of the events of this evening. I thank you for your diligence, which is nothing short of impeccable.” Yami had said both truthfully, yet stoically.

“It is my honor...your highness...”

“I see that you all possess the Millennium items; the ones that are ordinarily entrusted to your superiors....?” Yami probed further, facing the original three that he had addressed previously.

The priestess in practice, Isis, who was dressed in a white form fitting gown, was now clearly adorned with the mystical Millennium Tauk, which rested just above her collar bone and directly over the golden and sapphire trim, that accented her dress. Much like her namesake, the goddess Isis herself, the priestess certainly looked courtly and divine, with her finely crafted and framing head piece, that was made to resemble a gallant bird. This adornment also supported a wrap above her head, that reached downward, past her golden waist band, and even the delicate matching bracelets that rested on her wrists.

It was the pupil, Karim, who was now carefully balancing the Millennium Scales; making use of both his hands in an attempt to steady it. Unlike the others, the raven haired man gave the impression that he was more of a warrior than a man of the cloth, as seen by his toned, muscular torso, which was only covered by his own ornaments, similar to that of the others, and a shawl that ran diagonally across his chest, forming a trailing cloak behind him.

Then there was Shada, who was actually the apprentice to Simon Muran himself, for years ago, he had been the original possessor of the Millennium Key! Shada's robes were almost identical, albeit simpler in design to those of his peers, but what was most distinguishable, more so than the golden hoop earrings or any of the other jewelry upon his arms, waist or ankles, were the tattooed markings, which had begun on his forehead and extended upward along his smooth shaven skull.

Though Yami was reasonably acquainted with these three, as they would often engage in many of his lessons and training exercises, it did seem quite perplexing why they were present this evening, in lieu of their predecessors. With Seto, Yami had rationalized, it was most likely due to his own insistence to hone his skills with the Millennium Rod, which was becoming increasingly common both in his priestly affairs, as well as his own personal practices, such as the seemingly intoxicating duels that he would readily instigate; particularly with the young prince himself!

“This trial is the next crucial step in each of their apprenticeships, Prince Yami.” Simon explained at last. “As you know, these gifted souls have been carefully selected, both by their instructors, as well as the very items that they hold, to be part of your own royal court, when-” Simon paused. “...when the time comes... They will assist you, not only in passing judgment on the accused, but rather to ensure that the delicate balance of the divine order of Ma’at is upheld. Together, with the aid of the holy relics, each of you will see all that lies within the prisoner, and determine once and for all, if his conduct truly is an affront the gods.”

“I see.” Yami nodded, appreciatively. “Then I will rely on you all, with your individual strengths and unique abilities, to help guide me in conducting a fair and merciful trial. Come.” Yami proclaimed, taking his place upon the king's throne.

In turn, the appointed priests and those who had not yet acquired the title, took their positions as well: Shada, Seto, and Isis stood on the left of the seated young prince, in a linear, angled fashion, while Mahado, Karim, and Akunadin stood on his right, parallel to the others. Simon Muran had also moved closer, to stand by the prince, much like he himself had in his youth; though to the very right of the arm of the throne, as opposed to the left where Yami had once stood.

“Let us commence, by bringing forth the prisoner!” Yami announced, which prompted a near by solider to loudly repeat the prince's words, to be heard across the hall, in an awaiting corridor. As such, a battle-scarred, ragged looking young man, one who was perhaps roughly in his mid-20s, as near as Yami could discern, was brought slowly and laboriously before him. Despite the man's rather lanky mid section, he possessed deceivingly strong arms and legs; ones that seemed almost disproportionate in comparison to his head and torso.

The man appearance's was noticeably unkept, as his clothing looked tattered and soiled; seemingly in the color of a filthy brown and green! And though his hair was matted, and his eyes murderous, Yami had initially glimpsed his jagged, almost talon-like finger nails, seen only for the briefest of moments, in the midst of the difficult struggle to coerce his approach. Despite the fact that his limbs were bound, it took a number of armed guards to even attempt to contain him through his threats, his rantings, as well as his violent, almost primal thrashings!

“My prince.” The head of the royal guard began. “The man that we have brought here this evening, simply put, is not a man at all. He is nothing short of a monster, a vicious killer of both men and women; a man who has even taken the lives of innocent children.”

“Innocent... Innocent?!” The prisoner had begun to laugh, with a fierce and unstable edge. “You're joking, right?! You have to be! You can say what you want, but don't even bother pretending! There are no innocents in this world!” The man bellowed.


“Silence criminal!” Another guard warned, raising his staff to his throat.

“I'm just telling you the truth! The only truth! You people can go on and on about whatever helps you sleep better, but everyone, everywhere has the makings of what you call a monster! Even you, great prince of Egypt!” The man bowed mockingly.

Yami could feel himself swallow, feeling slightly agitated by the man's scrutinizing words. But he ignored his discomfort, in an attempt to focus on the task at hand.

“I thank you for the account of the man's crimes.” Yami remarked, acknowledging the head guard again. “And I trust that this man has been tried first by the council of elders?”

“He has, my prince. We have had a long history with this particular prisoner. In times past, he was even shown mercy. In accordance with his earlier, lesser offenses, he was initially fined and later sentenced to hard labor. Upon escaping his post, which would eventually lead to such savagery, he was even disciplined in a physical manner; with the hope that he would show even a shred of remorse for his actions!”

“It kinda tickled.” The man sneered. “And you're forgetting the best parts! One time, I even used a an old dirty flint knife, and used it cut straight into-”

“If you do not hold your tongue, we will gag you!” The guard who held the staff exclaimed, as the man continued to snicker in amusement.

“The head of the royal guard speaks the truth, my prince.” Mahado continued, unfazed by the prisoner's sadistic tirades. “Isis's Millennium Tauk, as well as my Millennium Ring proved instrumental in locating and ultimately capturing this man. In fact, Isis had originally been granted premonitions of the mayhem in which he would be responsible, but regrettably, it was not in time for us to prevent this future from coming to pass....”

“I can only beg your forgiveness, my prince.” Isis declared, as her stricken eyes shifted downward. “Though I am able to see such forewarning visions, neither I, nor my mentor could fully interpret the disjointed fragments of what the Millennium Tauk had chosen to show us, even after several days of meditation. If... If only we had, those poor citizens, those children...might still be-”


In an attempt to comfort Isis, Mahado had gently placed a hand on her shoulder, which prompted the young woman to give him a fleeting, deliberate look; one that showcased profound gratitude...and affection... Even in the midst of such grim circumstances, the subtleties between the two did not go unnoticed by the young prince...

“There is nothing to forgive, Isis.” Yami reassured her. “It has long since been foretold, that your Millennium Tauk, despite its usefulness to predict what is to come, can not always be relied on to avoid misfortune. It was this man's own choice to follow that dark path. Perhaps...it was simply meant to be...” He then sighed, as he shifted uncomfortably at this admission. “Furthermore, as you yourselves have said, it was your continued efforts, Mahado, Isis, which in the end, resulted in his arrest. For that, you should be most proud.”

“We are humbled by your praise, my prince, and I am in agreement.” Mahado replied as he exchanged glances with Isis again. “Only with the combined efforts of Isis and I, her warning that the prisoner was, once more, preparing to strike, was I then able to call upon the power of my Millennium Ring to sense his imminent desire to kill; long before it had even occurred! And in conclusion, with the additional cooperation of the royal guard, we were, in fact, able to apprehend him, so that he could now be brought to justice!”


“As such, we are forever in your debt, Priest Mahado, Priestess Isis.” The guard continued. “However, for the safety of the people, we dare not send this man into exile! For no matter where he goes, he leaves only a path of death and destruction! And it is for this reason that we request your final judgment, your highness; in whatever way you see fit.”


“I understand.” Yami replied. “It would appear that we have no choice. I believe that it is exactly as you have described. This man is a monster, or rather one has taken refuge in his soul. We will know the truth soon enough... Karim, if you would first question the prisoner with your Millennium Scales.”

“Of course, your highness.” Karim said, as he cautiously approached the man, who was still grinning manically. And yet, before the the would-be priest could even begin his interrogation, in the manner in which his mentor had instructed him, the side of the scale which served as the very weight of the criminal's sins, had immediately tipped downward; well before it was weighed against the white feather of Ma'at! “It...it would seem that my services are unneeded, my prince.... There isn't the slightest doubt that this man is guilty of every one of his aforementioned transgressions. The question remains, was it entirely his own doing? Or is something more sinister at work?” Karim concluded as he stepped aside.

“Ha! Well that was pointless!” The man said, attempting to goad the young pupil. “I don't know what you were doing there, but even I can tell that you weren't really much help! It's kind of pathetic, actually.”

“I will ask the prisoner once again, to be wary of his words; for they may be used against him upon deciding his fate!” Yami advised, with a potent glare. “And you mustn't concern yourself, Karim.” He then said, with a shift in tone. “I truly appreciate your council. Thank you... Shada! If you would please proceed.”


“Yes, my prince! I will now use my Millennium Key to look deeply into this man's heart; so that I may begin to see what lurks within him!” Shada proclaimed, as he prepared himself. Momentarily lost in concentration, he then pointed the Ankh shaped relic directly towards the prisoner's chest. As the young priest closed his eyes, as if relying on another sense entirely, the Millennium Key had begun to radiate with a faint golden glow. And in that instant, releasing a sharp intake of breath for what he had discovered, his eyes had suddenly snapped wide open once again! “It is as I expected!” Shada concluded. “There is, in fact, a dark shadow residing there. I could see the silhouette of an evil Ka, one that is being sustained, strengthened by the extent of his wickedness!”


“Then we must exorcise the beast immediately!” Yami decreed. “Akunadin! Please come forth!”

“As you command, your highness! With my Millennium Eye, I will extract and reveal the true form of the beast!” Akunadin asserted, as the item upon his face had also begun to glow. Soon, the man was enveloped a similarly colored light, which was followed by abrupt and uncontrollable convulsing! It appeared as if he was spewing a dark spiraling mist, which was now taking a definitive shape above them all!


The formed creature was more than twice the size of even the tallest of men, resembling a disturbing, nightmarish hybrid of both man and insect! Similar to it's host, it's body was narrow, though it possessed enormous arms, and hind legs, tipped with razor sharp claws, longer than even the deadliest of swords. It's body was primarily a greenish brown, with two large horns on the side of it's head, and eyes that glowed a crimson, blood-thirsty red! As it let out a ferocious resounding roar, a number of pointy fangs were made evident, as it readied itself to launch an attack!

“Such a monstrosity!” Yami cried, as he rose to his feet. “It appears as if it could swallow any man with even the slightest of efforts! Seto! Now is the time to-”

“You needn't say another word, highness!” Seto exclaimed, as he moved quickly to face the beast. “With the great power of my Millennium Rod, I will banish this demonic Ka, to be sealed in stone for all eternity!”

Having been prepared for such an outcome, the guards who had initially brought the prisoner before the court, had raised and stood watch over a towering, rectangular stone tablet, one that appeared both blank and smooth, as it seemingly awaited for what came next!

With a mighty thrust of his arm, Seto, and the magics that he had called forth, had managed to produce even more blinding illumination! This time, the monster itself was contained by its encircling power, as it was now frozen in place!


“By order of the crown prince of Egypt and the holy priests! Begone evil spirit! Enter the holy stone!`” Seto commanded, as he then pointed towards the slab. In mere moments, the creatures body had vanished, and a noise comparable to that of burning or sizzling could be heard; as a likeness of the beast had suddenly materialized upon the enormous stone.


With the conclusion of the physically and mentally taxing exorcism, the priests had begun to calm themselves, lowering their defensive stances, each releasing a tremendous sigh of relief; all except the confident Seto, that is!

“You have done well, Seto.” Akunadin said softly. “I- I am proud of you....”


“It was nothing, Priest Akunadin. Truly. Such a phenomenon , is becoming quite common in this day in age, is it not? I dare say, I would even consider that to be a low level beast, in comparison to many of the other Ka that have been extracted from men such as he!” Seto remarked, staring with unmistakable loathing, at the criminal who was now slumped silently upon his knees. “Guards! The new table is to be taken to the Shrine of Wedju, west of the palace! You are now charged to secure it well, among the others! Go! And report to me immediately when it is done!” Seto demanded.

Though Yami had not shown any visible indications of his own fatigue, even prior to the commencement of the Millennium Trial, in truth, he too was relieved that the proceeding was now coming to an end... And yet, as Seto himself had said, it was now rather routine indeed, an almost automatic practice, to engage in such activities. Not only was it a requirement to remove these evil spirits, from the hearts and souls of men, but it was their duty to utilize these confined creatures for trained combat; summoning them forth from the Shrine of Wedju, in which Seto had also described.

Much like it was physically, mentally, and even spiritually demanding for the user of a Millennium item to invoke it's magic, even to the smallest degree, the manipulation of one and most certainly more than one Ka, took discipline and tempered control... Rather, it was considered a separate endeavor in itself learning to strengthen such skills for battle, in contrast to simply passing judgment, albeit for a defensive stance; as decreed by King Akunamukanon himself long ago. And though Yami did not want to entertain such conflicting thoughts again, in that particular moment, even in spite of his weariness, as he stared into the almost challenging gaze upon Seto's face, a part of the young prince burned for release! He wished to expel the ever mounting frustrations, the torment that he felt, in a heated, formidable Shadow Game; one that only Seto could provide him, utilizing only the darkest of magics and the very mightiest of monsters!

“The trial has yet to be concluded, my prince.” Mahado reminded as he and the others turned towards the prisoner, who had remained unmoving, nearly lifeless, in his kneeling stance.

“He is correct, your highness.” Shada agreed. “Though the evil has been sealed away, there is still the matter of sentencing this man for the many atrocities in which he has now been proven guilty!”

“Yes... His evil endeavors...” Yami considered.

“There is only one choice! We should publicly execute him, as a warning to all who would dare defy the order of the gods!” Seto exclaimed with an almost sadistic enthusiasm.

“No. I don't think that that will be necessary...” Yami replied as he slowly approached the man.

“My prince! No! Stay back! This man is still dangerous! A heartless killer!” The head of the guard cried.

“Perhaps. Perhaps you are right. But this is a matter that I must attend to personally. In light of what we discovered today, I must look into this man's eyes myself to see if even a remnant of his humanity remains.” Yami explained. *And I must do this, for my own sake as well.* He then thought, as he continued to move forward, gesturing for the guards and even the six priests to stand aside. Finally, Yami stood only a few feet away from the prisoner, who, even then, had yet to move a muscle.

“I must know...” Yami began, as he looked down upon him. “Now that the evil has been banished, have you been freed from your evil inclinations? Such foul, unforgivable sins... Was it all due to the beast that had consumed you? Is it possible that the demonic Ka forced you to behave as you did, as it slowly invaded your heart and soul? Can...can you even remember committing these crimes? Or did it feel as if you could only watch helplessly, as the darkness called out to you, tempting you?”

“Your highness....? What are you-” Mahado asked, growing ever fearful of the young prince's unsettling inquiries.

“Was it instead a thirst for power over others? A twisted sense or even a need for control?” Yami questioned further still, as if he had not heard the young priest's remarks. “You must tell me! If you do.... If you can prove to me that you truly do feel regret and deep shame for what you have done, then the court is prepared to offer you leniency.”

“What?! You can't be serious! Are you insane?!” Seto hollered, appearing visibly dumbfounded by Yami's offer.

“Seto!” Akunadin gasped in alarm. “I beseech you... Please, watch what you say to his highness... Though...if you would allow me to speak Prince Yami, I also believe that it is a mistake to make deals with the likes of such utterly irredeemable criminals...”

“Truly. If I may be so bold, my prince, I must agree with both Seto and Akunadin as well.” Karim interjected. “Despite the existence of this man's evil Ka, such a vicious creature would only reflect the nature that the host had chosen for himself; from the very moment that he had willingly given in to his dark emotions and desires. In other words, it is only a manifestation, a mirror of what was already there to begin with. It is a possibility that the beast had some influence over the man, but only in the sense that the creature and the man both wished to spread rage and sorrow for their own ends. The man, for his own psychotic pleasure, and the creature, for the sake of growing even larger and more powerful with every sin committed. You know, you know this to be true, your highness... It is one of the most basic of principles; one that we have all been taught.”


“I am thoroughly aware, yes...” Yami conceded, as he briefly looked away. “However, I wish to hear it from the prisoner himself!” He insisted, stubbornly. “I await your answer...”

“ I...don't know... I don't know anything anymore...” The man said in small, barely audible tone; as his eyes still faced the ground.


“All I ask, is that you speak the truth.” Yami proclaimed sternly, yet with a touch of pity; even hope...

“The truth.... The truth is-” The man began again.

Suddenly as his head jerked upward to face the young prince at last, he flashed him a large menacing grin, as he broke free of his bonds! Like a true predator, he managed to quickly maneuver himself, in an unnatural position, to lunge forward in an attack! Caught completely unaware by the man's speed and agility, neither Yami or even the many that surrounded him, were able to block the prisoner's assault! The prince had been forcefully pinned down upon his back, until the man had secured a firm, choking grip upon his throat!

“The truth is that you're nothing but a fool! Didn't you hear me the first time? We're guilty! All of us!” The prisoner chuckled.

As Yami struggled to free himself, his senses had seemed to dull, and almost as if the events were occurring in slow motion, he vaguely acknowledged the sight of Mahado, Karim, and even Seto, mouthing frantically while they worked together with the equally fearful guards in their attempts to pry the criminal off of him! And as Yami had begun to gasp for air, he was at last able to look deep into the man's eyes, as he had wished; eyes that were deranged and horrific, nearly identical to the beast's that had dwelled within him!

“If I go down, I'm taking you with me, little prince! In case you didn't know, that's just a little something that I like to do to all my prey...” The man continued to mock.

“You scoundrel!! Release his highness at once!!” The head of the guard cried, as he had finally managed to drive his spear into the prisoner's leg. The man recoiled in agony, as he released his hold on Yami, but not before racking his fingernails deep within the skin just above his right shoulder!

As he rose to his feet, Yami still could not hear the assortment of vocals, the assumed inquiries regarding his well being or perhaps the curses and accusations, made both by the priests and the guards alike! But as Yami placed his hand upon his wound, the four thick scratches that were now bleeding heavily, he could only focus on the man before him, as he starred venomously...

“I was careless...” Yami breathed in a strangely calm and quiet tone.

The man was now abundantly, almost ridiculously tied and bound, as nearly an entire army of palace guards readied themselves, surrounding him; each poised to strike him down with their spears at a moment's notice! And yet, somehow he was indifferent, even amused by the intense look that Yami continued to give him...

“So you got rid of my little pet... So what?! Do you think that matters to me? And hey, I even got more than I bargained for... I almost had you, didn't I, little prince? That was good, right? How I made you get too close? How you were stupidly taken in by my sad and whimpering little voice? Oh, the humanity!” The man exclaimed with beaming pride and delight!

The distant protests appeared to escalate, but in spite of them, Yami could now only feel himself seething with a fiery, unbridled passion, as he slowly confronted the man once more.

“Your highness! No! I beg you! This time I simply must insist that you stay back! Please! For your own safety!” The nearest guard implored.

“You needn't worry... I will be perfectly safe...” Yami replied in his same even voice. He was finally able to hear at least one of the desperate, apprehensive pleas that attempted to rouse him from his almost hypnotic state; one that he had chosen to disregard...in lieu of more pressing matters...

Yami was now only inches apart from the man, as he simply tilted his head and stared, with a now vacant, emotionless expression....

“What, do you want a hug? Heh, you know, you're really something, aren't you? Maybe we're not so different after all, little prince. I don't know about all that crap that you were spouting before, but I can see it... You do have a little monster in you, don't you? Trust me! It's a lot more fun that way!”

Without a word, or without even making a single effort to back away from his uncomfortable closeness with the prisoner, Yami had then closed his eyes.

“Are you going to cry now, little prince? Really? Come on now! Be a man! Hit me! Let's see if you can throw a good punch or two! Just do it! Show me what you got!” The man taunted, confident that the prince wouldn't lay even a finger on him.

Suddenly, Yami had reached forward, digging his own fingernails deeply into the man's scalp, as he roughly seized him by the root of his hair! With a gradual motion, he forced his head backward, to the very extent of its dexterity...

“As you wish....mortal...” He then whispered, as he slowly revealed his now flickering red eyes!

This time, it was the criminal's turn to be stunned into silence, as his own eyes widened in sheer, unadulterated terror! Looking deep into that penetrating, unearthly gaze, the man became a timid animal, recognizing that he was now the prey of a vastly superior beast; a beast unlike any he'd seen before! His mouth gaped open in an attempt to cry out, but he could only muster an inaudible scream at this dawning realization; at this shocking, inconceivable sight! It had been the very last sight that he had seen, before everything around him had begun to distort and transform; as both he and the young prince were completely overcome by the enshrouding darkness...!