Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ Angel of Time ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 21: Angel of Time:

Naraku sat upon a throne he had built out of inu-demon bones. His hatred for Inuyasha and his brother Sesshoumaru led him to the creation. He looked around the youkai graveyard he had set up his mystical fortress at in Makai, the demon world. His crimson eyes fell upon his minion, Kanna.

Her white hair was fluttering about her small frame as her eyes were closed in concentration. The soul catching mirror in her possession was gripped tightly within her hands. The being that she held within the power of her mirror was the most powerful being that Naraku had dared to use.

The Angel of Time, a creature of ancient origins that dated to the creation of the world, was held captive in the soul stealing mirror. All the power from his jewel shards were being concentrated into strengthening the mirror and even then it was a considerable strain to manipulate the angel. Naraku could only hope that the miko and her companions took his bate soon.

With the angel under his power, he would be able to feel the exact moment any crossed the barrier between worlds and entered this one. He would also know where they were and be able to locate the shards he so desired.

A dark laugh escaped the throat of Naraku, causing Kanna to open her eyes in surprise at the sound. Naraku closed his eyes in amusement. He could feel the manipulation of the times instigated by Koenma, prince of the Spirit World. Did the fool actually believe he could outwit this Naraku?

He could feel the added spiritual powers from the miko of the future and the Kitsune spirit inhabited youth as they apparently were combating against some foe.

He smiled sinisterly. Looked like things were about to get interesting.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha could feel the power from near the Bone Eater's Well and left the stupid baseball game as he rushed to greet Kagome. Finally someone who would agree that baseball was a stupid game!

"Where are you going?" Yusuke asked when Inuyasha threw down the baseball bat and took off away from the village. Miroku stole third base during the distraction, but frowned when he noticed that Inuyasha was absent and therefore the game was over.

Casually, Miroku walked back to home and began to follow in the direction Inuyasha took off towards. He looked over his shoulder at Yusuke and Kouga to answer their bewildered expressions. "He's going to the well, Kagome-sama has finally returned."

A large grin spread across Kouga's face as he took off after Inuyasha's scent, hoping to see his favorite woman.

###########

Kurama led Kagome through the forest of the demon world. He couldn't help but notice her regarding him curiously out of the corner of his eye, nor could he avoid how her gaze constantly fell upon his silvery tail. He flicked his furry appendage at her and gained her attention.

"Yes?" Kagome asked sweetly as the silvery tail wrapped around her waist, drawing her closer to Youko.

"I noticed your fascination with a part of my anatomy, of course, I'm a bit disappointed that you would pay more attention to that than others," Kurama pouted, his silvery white fox ears flicking up and down in the process, making him absolutely irresistible.

Kagome grinned at him, reaching up to massage the base of one of those ears. "I was just curious about you. You are two people in one body, right? And you switch back and forth between your human and Kitsune body? I thought it took some sort of extreme circumstance for you to don this form."

Kurama paused and turned to face Kagome directly. "Not exactly am I a two for one deal. Do you really want to hear this?"

Kagome nodded vehemently. "We're just walking around these woods, might as well hold a discussion to pass the time."

Kurama frowned. "We should not try to pass the time. Our mission is to observe our environment and possibly find the whereabouts of Naraku's location."

"Please Kurama, I really would like to know," Kagome used the moment of distraction as Kurama thought over her request to reach for the base of his tail and give it a quick pull.

Kurama yelped as he jumped away from her and flashed her an annoyed look as he gingerly rubbed his sore appendage. He then wrapped it securely around her waist once more and pinned her arms to her sides in the process. She wasn't going to get away with that again!

"As you can tell, I'm a real fox demon with a tail and the works. I don't have a concealment spell and at one time I was two different entities sharing the same body. It got rather crowded in my mind hearing so many arguments between my two souls; do you understand what I mean?" Nothing but rapt attention from his audience was his answer so he decided to continue.

"For the past few months, I had noticed that both my personalities agreed with one another a great deal of time. This is a major feat within itself for the ideals of Youko Kurama and Shuuichi Minamino were vastly different. However, before I even realized it, there were no longer two separate personalities, but just one incredibly dynamic one. I am no longer Youko Kurama living inside the vessel of Shuiichi Minamino. I am both at the same time. I'm not even sure if I have a true appearance now." Kurama finished as he started to walk again with Kagome still in tow courtesy of his tail.

Kagome leaned her head against his shoulder as they walked, finding comfort in his presence that eased her troubled mind as the confusing aura of the demon world's environment was constantly bombarding her senses. "I don't really care which body you have the form of I love you either way." Kurama grinned down at her and his tail gave a gentle, affectionate squeeze.

"It's good to hear that. I'll just be sure to leave out my more promiscuous past as Youko. There are things that Kitsunes do that I'm sure you'd rather not know about." Kurama continued, golden eyes scanning the woods about them. His nose could detect no smells and that had him concerned. Silence of life in a wooded area generally spelled trouble with a capital T.

After removing her arm from being trapped under the silvery tail, Kagome playfully punched him in the upper arm. She answered, "Just as long as you don't let Shippo do anything I would disapprove of, then I'll be much happier not knowing about some of your earlier escapades."

"I wouldn't dream of teaching our little fox-cub such things." Kurama reassured her as he stopped dead in his tracks and peered at the stream that was flowing through the woods they were traveling.

"Do you sense something?" Kagome asked as she stretched out her miko awareness to find anything suspicious. It was rather difficult when the entire realm emitted demon auras.

The plant life in the area began to sway towards Kurama as his kitsune energy was being stretched to detect the origins of the slight scent his well honed nose had picked up. "I believe I have found my friend," Kurama answered as a woman creature swam towards them.

She stopped near the shore of the stream, her long green hair billowing about her in the waves. "Kuronue requested that I greet you and inquire as to your purposes."

"I wish to ask him for information regarding a foreigner." Kurama answered; his voice colder than normal.

Beside him, Kagome's fingers flexed in anticipation, a blue light crackling at her fingertips. Ever since Kikyo's death she had felt the power coursing through her veins more keenly. Kurama gave her a brief glance, concern flickering through his golden eyes before redirecting his attention the green haired mermaid demoness.

"Kuronue thought this might be your request. What do you offer in exchange for the knowledge?" The green haired demoness asked.

Kurama's eyes narrowed at her disdainfully. "I am his former thieving partner. I had saved his skin countless times I believe out of friendship he should tell me what he knows."

"If that is all you have to offer, friendship, then we are not interested in sharing such information. One who travels in the company of such people," she looked at Kagome with obvious displeasure, "can not be considered friend to those such as us. Besides, last time you were working with Kuronue you abandoned him and he nearly died." The woman was slowly swimming away.

"Fool! I was dying I couldn't be expected to help him as I was dying." Kurama was furious and he had commanded the plants thriving in the shallow depths near the stream's banks to hold her fast into place. Thus ensnared the mermaid glared up at him.

Kagome had grown angry during the heated exchange and Kurama's mounting anger did little to ease her own temper. She hardly noticed as the vegetation fixing the mermaid demoness into place began to glow with a bright blue light.

It was only after the trapped female began to scream as her flesh began to smoke that Kagome noticed. Immediately the blue glow of the vegetation dulled and then diminished. The plant life released the scorched the female.

"Be gone. Tell Kuronue that I shall remember this when I return to this place with my mate." Kurama vowed as he grabbed hold of Kagome's elbow and pulled her away from the stream.

Kagome's head was bowed in shame. She had almost killed someone out of frustration. "I didn't intend on purifying her."

Kurama gave a great sigh that blew his silvery bangs away from his eyes. "Worry not, Kagome. You were merely responding to my own aggravation. It's actually a good thing. This means that you and I are on the same par emotionally." He offered a soothing smile that eased Kagome's troubled heart.

"So what do we do now that we couldn't find any information from your friend?" Kagome inquired.

"He was not my friend. We were business partners. I am confident that he will soon seek us out after the little message he'll receive from his green haired vixen." Kurama replied.

"You know this really isn't your fight. The recovery and destruction of the Shikon no Tama is my responsibility," Kagome quickly spoke, her conscious weighing heavily upon her frail shoulders.

Kurama stopped his walked and grabbed hold of both Kagome's shoulders, forcing her to meet his eyes. "Why are you trying to face such an evil by yourself? You are not alone. We are linked. And our friends would never abandon either of us." He leaned down to rub noses with her affectionately before abruptly releasing her from his strong hands to continue walking.

"You're right. After Naraku has dared to attack the present I guess it's everybody's problem." Kagome agreed.

Kurama sniffed his nose delicately. The forest was still too quiet for comfort but he could now detect the familiar scent of his old kitsune business partner. He stood in front of Kagome, blocking her from the view of their visitor.

"Teranti tells me you wished to speak with me," Kuronue greeted, his violet eyes not reflecting any trace of emotion as the wind brushed back his raven hair that fell past his knees. His tail was swishing behind him agitatedly, a sign that betrayed his casual front.

"She only needed a little persuasion," Kurama agreed.

Kuronue's violet eyes narrowed slightly as he looked past him to Kagome. "Can you blame her? After all with the company you keep it is difficult to determine where your loyalties lie. Your lack of judgement is what led to your own demise."

"Leave her out of this. I get killed once and you seem to think it's enough to condemn my ability to make decisions." Kurama ground out watching as his old associate fidgeted from the threatening undertones of his voice.

"Very well, is your intention to steal the Shikon no Tama? That is one of the sources of the great entity's powers. If that is the case I may be convinced to join you."

"I have no interest in that jewel other than to return it to it's rightful owner." Kurama answered, his voice resolute.

"Then my words alone will have to suffice. You may have noticed that there is little demon life in these woods." Kuronue began. Upon Kurama's nod, he continued, "it would seem that there is a creature of great strength that has been absorbing the lesser demons. The only ones that seem to stand a fighting chance are those of considerable power."

"Where is the source? Where are the lesser demons being drawn?" Kurama demanded.

Kuronue gestured to a nearby mountain pass. "If you travel in that direction the one you seek shall be found." He narrowed his eyes at Kurama. "Our association ceases as of now. I wish to not be involved in this business of yours."

"Agreed. I appreciate the information and will not blame you for being a coward. You never were much good unless there was treasure involved." Kurama replied as he took Kagome's arm and set off towards the mountains, leaving an annoyed Kitsune behind him clenching his fists at the insults but doing nothing about it as he made his way back to the safety of his stream.

"Shouldn't we wait for the others?" Kagome asked when Kurama had lifted her into his arms bridal style to travel at an accelerated speed. Kurama pulled to an abrupt halt.

"Koenma will no doubt track our spirits and open a portal for our allies to travel through that will lead to our destination." Kurama answered as he sat Kagome upon her feet. He pulled a rose from his hair and elongated it into a large whip.

"But, he didn't track down your spirit when you were imprisoned at the Carnival." Kagome argued, holding her hands together as a ball of blue spiritual energy began to grow between her palms.

"No, but at that time, my energy was depleted and masked. With you here beside me even if I were to become weaker you're spirit energy would rejuvenate me." Kurama answered as he pulled back his whip to release a powerful blast at nearby bush, causing a large insect demon to fall to the ground.

Kagome threw her blue ball of miko energy at the withering figure upon the ground, turning to ashes before she even realized her actions. Her mouth dropped open in a mixture of awe and shame at what she had done.

Kurama, as if reading her thoughts, laid his hand upon her shoulder gently. "It was instinct of yours to apply your power to complete my own attack. Do not worry about that demon. It was a lesser youkai, no real ability to think. Those sort feast upon the flesh of humans."

Kagome swallowed the explanation Kurama gave her with a thin lipped smile. "I still should have thought before I reacted."

Kurama shook his head as he removed his hand. "You haven't the luxury of thinking before you act in this world. That is the reason I died. You must rely upon your instincts and those of your friends." He winked at her. "That's why I have so few friends." His face drew a serious expression, "you were only supporting the actions of your mate, so do not trouble yourself."

"You're right. We've got bigger fish to fry." Kagome agreed.

"Exactly, but I believe I will trust your instincts now. We shall wait for our friends to arrive before we proceed to locate Naraku. It's better to go in with our little army. I don't mind a little over-kill as opposed to beating him by the skin of our teeth." Kurama decided as he tossed Kagome over his shoulder and jumped high into a tree with a great vantage point.

He moved Kagome to sit in his lap as he leaned against the trunk and peered towards the mountains and their awaiting enemy. His arms encircled Kagome's small frame as he rested his head against the smooth bark of the tree. He squeezed her tighter to him as millions of thoughts raced through his mind.

"Do you know what to wish for to destroy the jewel? What kind of unselfish wish could be made?" Kurama inquired.

Kagome relaxed against his well-muscled chest, her head cradled between his neck and shoulder before answering. "That decision is up to Inuyasha. I have no desire to wish on the jewel."

"Perhaps the fact that you have no hidden motives should be the reason why you should be the one to make the wish," Kurama argued.

Kagome shook her head vehemently before turning her head slightly and reaching up to cup Kurama's cheek within her palm, forcing him to meet her eyes. "I promised Inuyasha that the choice is his. I trust him, so won't you trust him too?"

Kurama offered a brief smile as he nodded his head, before staring back towards the mountain. He liked Inuyasha, but he still felt it was a poor idea to allow the troubled half-demon to make such an important decision. No doubt his emotions would sway his decisions and could result in him making a rash choice. However, he would trust Kagome's judgement. He had only been wrong once before and that had resulted in death as Youko Kurama and his rebirth as a human with a Kitsune spirit.

##############

Kouga skidded to a halt as a path of dust formed in a tornado at his feet. He looked at the odd individuals that he had smelt earlier. Inuyasha was looking annoyed. "What's going on dog-face?"

Inuyasha turned to glare at the wolf. "It would seem that Kagome and flower-boy decided to find Naraku without us."

"What?" Kouga shouted in outrage. "That's suicide! Kagome should know better than to face him without both of us."

"You don't think I know that?" Inuyasha shouted back. Neither he nor the wolf noticed the other powerful demon presence that soon joined them.

"Pathetic." Sesshoumaru declared as his red ki cloud lowered him to the earth.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Inuyasha bit out, hand automatically reaching for Tetsusaiga.

Unconsciously, Sesshoumaru reached up his right hand to hold to his upper left arm, so newly reformed. "The wind witch left a message that I should be here."

"That Kagura murdering psycho?" Kouga asked, hate obvious in his words as they dripped with an unseen poison.

"She is not the only one of us to have gone on murdering rampages. At least she never at the flesh of humans." Sesshoumaru replied, his dislike for the wolf prince tarnishing his words. Visions of a dead Rin flashing through his mind's eye.

"I never ate the flesh, just my wolves did. Besides, since I met Kagome I haven't allowed any to do such a thing." Kouga shot back as he crossed his arms in defense.

"We haven't time for this. We need to leave immediately. Lead us to the other members of your group Inuyasha then we shall meet with the Fox and the miko." Hiei ordered, voicing the thoughts that should have been running through Botan's mind, but she was too distracted with other thoughts.

Koenma had stayed back in his little office naturally, leaving all the dirty work of human relations to fall between a pissed off fire-ice demon and a suddenly tongue tied Botan . She was looking between the older dog demon and wolf demon with nothing but hearts popping out of her eyes.

Hiei broke past her mental barriers to speak into her head. `I suggest you stop fantasizing about those two. The wolf has eyes only for Kagome and the dog wouldn't look twice at you.'

Botan's shoulders slumped at those comments, but then thoughts of a Koenma and his flattering words came racing back to her mind. Hiei abruptly left the confines of her mind as unwanted images began to burn into his.

################

TBC