Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ Ashita no Asatte ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Two

Ashita no Asatte

OK, the story officially begins. The time have been warped. The last two chapters had been about what happened to Kagome in the past, and when she'd allowed herself to come back to her family. The actual THEME of my story begins now. Hope everyone will enjoy it!

Kagome jerked out of bed on this night, looking around frantically. She had been sleeping when a sudden blast of ki* overwhelmed her senses. Getting out of bed, she rose only to find a figure standing just beyond the shrine torii*. He tried to enter but it only produced blasts of purple-white thunder smacking against him, preventing his entrance.

Jii-san* should get more credit, Kagome decided, and jumped out of her window. She landed quietly, something else she'd learned from Sesshoumaru, and started running for the gate. Before she could reach her third step, however, she felt a tug at her sleeve. Looking down, she found Souta with Bouyo held tightly in his grasp.

He looked fearfully at the darkened figure by the door and back at his sister. "Nee-chan*," he whispered, clutching Bouyo. "Bouyo woke me and then, I felt all weird, so I looked out the window and saw you looking out yours and starting to jump, so I hurried out. Nee-chan, who is that?"

"Don't worry, baby," Kagome whispered, gathering him into her arms. "I want you go inside and close all the doors and windows--can you do that, Souta?"

"Hai*."

"Wake Momma and Jii-san if you can. Tell them to stay alert and DO NOT STEP OUT THE DOOR."

"Hai."

"Then go." She slapped his back and watched her baby brother go running back into the shrine, carrying their fat cat in his hands. The moment he closed all the doors and windows, Kagome closed her eyes. When she reopened them, they'd turned into a brilliant white. It shone like a beacon in the night and leveled at the house.

Kagome raised a hand, and a ball of purple-pink energy gathered, concentrating to float on top. She held the ball until it was bursting to be freed, and launched it onto the house. It touched the roof of the shrine and a colored shield appeared, spreading until it had the entire shrine and home covered.

Then, Kagome turned to the figure. It had stopped trying to break into the shrine, seeing that Kagome was going to come to him. He stood by the door, waiting.

Kagome came over, her eyes turning all the more narrow as she walked. "Yes?" she asked, wondering at this man. He didn't feel like a youkai*, just with a strong sense of maisma* surrounding his entire person. He seemed to be enshrouded in darkness and shadows, as he stepped forward.

This man had brown hair that had turned a bit gray on the edges. Tall and lankey, his skin was pale blue, and his eyes a blood-red. No whites showed from his eyes and his was snarling at her with rage. Kagome backed off. She couldn't blast this guy--he's human!

Kagome glared at him, fighting down her repulsion. Demons must have got to him and changed his form! He started running forward, a mad dash. Kagome raised a hand and a ball of green light emerged. "Sorry, sir," she whispered. "But better hurt a little than possessed!"

The ball hit him squarely on the head and covered his entire person. He cried out, shrieking his rage, as the ball began seeping into his body, into his blood. It began attacking anything in his bloodstream that's not human and holding an ounce of youki* or maisma.

Kagome blinked, as something like a black vapor poured out of his body. She hurried forward, and caught the man before he slumped over onto the ground. Slowly, gradually, his skin returned to a flushed pink and his features softened.

~*~*~*~

"I'm glad that the guy was better," Souta was saying as they walked to school. "I mean, can you imagine trying to beat Mega-Transfusion IV with him laying right there on the couch, dead? Weird..."

"Souta..." Kagome turned to her little brother. "You said that you felt something weird yesterday. What did you feel?"

Souta looked over at his big sister, his sweet innocent face screwed up from thinking so hard. "Uhm...I dunno...kinda like ants crawling all over you. Millions of them. And then, it's like...something big and bad's coming, so you've got to push all those ants away..."

Kagome frowned. They reached Souta's school and she waved to him goodbye. The ten-year-old smiled happily and dashed off. She continued on toward her own school. She no longer attended her old school, but a new one called Meiou High. Supposedly, even from her lack of presence to school last term, this prestigious school wished for her entrance for her "astonishing grades."

Kagome walked through the streets, carrying a small, red pack on her back. She wore a reddish-pinkish blazer with white collars and a small blue bow tying up the blazer. A white skirt with reddish-pinkish stripes by the edges reached up to around the middle of her thighs.

"This uniform," Kagome mumbled, "is at least a lot better than that old green sailor outfit."

She reached the front gate of the High school, and stared. It was much smaller than her old school and was made of pure limestone. Large windows stared out the school, ensuring lots of sunshine. The front yard was packed with students, ready to greet the day. She noticed that the students all have cliches, and that they're mostly standing in a particular way as well.

Ah, yes, the old High School days...

A short gate, reaching only up to her waist, circled around the yard, more for decoration than for protection. Flower patches covered the front, sprinkling small dots of pink, red, yellow, blue, and green. Meiou High is really beautiful.

Kagome passed through the groups of students, noticing how she's already receiving stares of "the new girl."

In a school as small as this, it's not surprising that everyone student would know every other student and be able to recognize a strange face at moments. It's like a small village--you're in my business, I'm in yours.

The office of the school was small, efficient, and gave a intimidating thrill. Three secretaries sat on their own personal desks, clicking away on their computers, and staring intently on the screen. One of them turned when Kagome walked into the room. She had brown hair that was tied roughly into a low ponytail, and large rimmed glasses rested loosely on her nose. A disheveled look was about her, and the dark circles under her eyes proved that she had not slept for days.

"Yes?" Her voice came out in a small rasp, belonging to someone far superior to her age.

"I'm a new student--Kagome Higurashi?"

"Ah, yes, Higurashi." She turned to her desk and started ruffling through papers, hands tired and creaky. "Well, here it is." She handed a paper to her. "Your new schedule."

"Thank you." Kagome's eyes darted to the other women, each seemed oblivious to the conversation. They still typed away, each of their eyes hidden behind the reflection in their glasses. "Thank you very much."

~*~*~*~

It's hardly a surprise that Kagome arrived late to her first class. The teacher had already started by the time she walked into the room.

"Gomen nasai*, sensai*," Kagome bowed slightly. "I'm new and don't know my way around the school."

"Of course, of course. Kagome Higurashi?" The teacher was a short, pudgy man with graying hair. He's got small eyes, even by the Japanese's standards, and a large mouth. Sweat poured down his forehead as he scanned the room. "Oh, dear," he was muttering to himself. "The administration have overcrowded me again..."

"Excuse me, sensai," someone called out, "There's a empty seat here!"

His eyes flicked over to the voice. "Oh, why yes. Miss Higurashi, just take a seat next to Azusa-san. Azusa, please raise your hand..."

She walked through the crowd of desks and chairs, finally reaching the seat next to this boy. He had brown hair that just brushed his shoulders, and long, fluttering bangs that hid his eyes from view. A pouty lip that would have looked sensational in a female, looked strong on his. His blue-green eyes twinkled, as she settled down onto her seat.

"Hello, Higurashi-san. I'm Azusa Aihara."

She turned, a slow turn of her head, and smiled slightly. "Hello." She didn't deign to return his greeting, seeing as he already knew her name. Instead, she turned her entire focus onto the teacher. What he's saying, she'd already learned through the years. But, since she's not supposed to be anything older than sixteen, she's not supposed to know any of these knowledge first hand.

And besides, if she worked hard now and leave a good impression, he might cut her some slack later on in the term.

So, she concentrated on taking the notes that he's rumbling off onto, not taking notice of the boy next to her.

~*~*~*~

It seemed like forever before Kagome's fourth class came. Over the years, she'd gotten better in math, but it was still a close shave. She could have sworn that the teacher had something against her! And then, to make matters worse, she'd jumped up in the middle of her third period, Japanese History, and swore that the sensai had several of her history dates mixed up!

Sitting now, in the large art room, Kagome viewed the sculptures and painting hanging and being in display. Some models were beautiful, perfectly sculpted down to the very last detail. Others were not so refined, just roughly done, and marked only the beginning of the creation.

But, then, Kagome's learned never to judge a piece before it's finished. The class had already started buzzing excitedly, when the sensai came into the room. She had long, black hair, and brown eyes. Skin a white ivory and lips a pouty red. She wore a loose tee, with white slacks. Nothing special about her outfit, and yet, her beauty rang into the room.

Her black hair had been tied into a tight ponytail, so that they would not bother her when she's in the thick of her art. She smiled good naturally at her class. "Well, a new term, and a new year. I see several familiar faces and am very happy that you've returned to my Art course. I see several new faces and well, lets just say, you all better be prepared to get dirty!"

Several people cheered and some laughed. Kagome smiled. She liked this woman. "Alright," the teacher began, "My name is Sensai Misagawa, but most of you just call me Teach Misa, nowadays. We're not going to start anything big on our first day, so just get out the oil paints and begin. You don't need to paint anything specific. This is just so I can see at what level each of you are in."

Everyone shuffled, as they each walked over to the cabinet, holding all the art supplies. Teach Misa watched them with a happy smile on her face. Her eyes practically glowed and you can tell that this is her heaven; in the midst of all these students and art.

Kagome settled back down onto the large art table before her. Three other students shared this table with her, each already beginning their painting. She looked over at the paint and wondered what she should paint.

A picture of a demon during transformation drew to her mind and she smiled.

~*~*~*~

Kagome had been just refining the final touches of her demon's face when a shadow descended over her. Looking up, Kagome found Teach Misa watching her painting in rapt attention. In it portrayed a demon turning from her human form back into her beast self.

This one demon portrayed a girl with long, long black and silver hair, shimmering like the stars at night. It swayed to the breeze, twining around her as she danced her tranfsormation dance. She raised a single hand that had began turning into that of a kitsune's* paw, and the other cradled her chest. She wore a golden gown that was slightly translucent, allowing the viewer a slight peek at her attractive figure.

Her face were still that of a human's, though bright green eyes twinkled at the night sky. Behind her held no background. Her entire person--the swirls of her hair and the silk of her skirts--occupied the entire lower portion of the painting. The night sky slowly appeared over her hand, as though it was merging with her soul.

"My...Kami*..."

The class seemed to realize that their teacher was raptured by this painting. Almost half of the class scooted out of their chairs to glance at what had caught their teacher's attention so. Each of them stopped and stared, as Kagome still held the painting, a paintbrush still hovering over it.

"Where did you learn to paint like that?" Teach Misa asked, turning her bright brown eyes rivetted on the painting. "How did you paint this masterpiece in such quick time?"

Kagome smiled slightly. This picture was that of a kitsune queen she'd met one time, after the three realms had been separated. Kagome had been wandering Makai* when she stumbled on this kitsune queen. The queen had been injured, trying to save her only son.

After Kagome saved her, she'd returned back to health. As a way of saying thank you, the kitsune queen transformed before her, allowing her the privilege of seeing the famed queen perform her transformation dance. When the dance had been complete, Kagome had been shocked to find two small anklets circling her ankles.

~* Flashback *~

"Keep it," the beautiful nine-tailed kitsune had said. She was magnificent as a kitsune, with her nine tails twining behind her with her thoughts. Her emerald green eyes remained the same as her human form and a small pearl of red and green were held over her forehead by a small golden chain. "Only a few chosen can match the speed of which I possess. With the transformation dance I've performed, I've transferred a portion of myself into those two anklets. Should you ever find the need, you'll find that they can be of use."

~* End Flashback *~

Ashita, she'd been called, named for the fact that she'd been born with the ability to tell what tomorrow brings. "You might say it's a dream," Kagome smiled at Teach Misa. "An apparition, you can say. And I've been practicing painting since--before I was born!"

The sentence was worded in a way that the listener would take it for a joke, but in actuality, there was no lies to what she said. Ashita had first came to Kagome in a dream, a way of warning the closest around her to please come to her aid. And she is beautiful enough, unearthly enough, to be an apparition.

As for the end, Kagome had to do SOMETHING over her long lifespan, and so she took up painting. At first, it was hard, harder than you can imagine. All she could paint was her friends, the day they were together with her. Eventually, she'd realized that death is not really the end. So she began painting others, more intricate paintings.

Several of her works is now in the Mishima Museum in Tokyo. She'd signed them under the name of Asaki Matashika. And since she'd taken up painting LONG before her future self were born, there was no lie to what she said--jokingly.

"This is some dream," Teach Misa said, holding out her hands. "Would you mind terribly if I post this up for display?"

"Not at all." Kagome turned back to her painting, and signed on the right corner of the canvas. She held the painting out to Teach Misa. "Please, call this painting `Ashita no Asatte*'."

Vocabulary

Ki: energy

Torii: the large, stone gates that all shrines have

Jii-san: Grandfather

Nee-chan: Older sister

Hai: yes

Youkai: demon

Maisma: evil energy, formed from youki

Youki: demonic energy

Gomen nasai: sorry

Sensai: teacher/professor

Kitsune: Fox

Kami: God or anything that is extroadinarily beautiful or unearthly

Makai: Demon Realm

Ashita no Asatte: "Ashita" is the name of the kitsune queen. Her name means "tomorrow." However, when Kagome named this painting, she was using "Ashita" as the queen's name, not its definition. "Asatte" means the day after tomorrow, so the actual translation of "Ashita no Asatte" means Ashita of the day after tomorrow. However, what is actually implied from the name is of Ashita's ability to see the future.

Author's Corner

Yuki: Hope everyone liked this fic! Sorry if the chapter wasn't all that good or long. I can't function on an empty stomach anymore!!!

Hachi: *munching on a chocolate bar* Mmm! Good!

Yuki: HEY!!!!! *cries* That was my LAST BAR!!!

Hachi: *munch* So? You owe me for this new story anyways!

Yuki: OWE you? MIGHT I remind you that we had an AGREEMENT? YOU supply the ideas, and I'll--

Hachi: Supply the food! *munch*

Yuki: That wasn't the agreement!!!! *snatch at empty air* No, my chocolate bar...

Hachi: *turns serious* Really, Yuki, you should start on the new chapter already. I'd like everyone to know, that I'M not the one holding all the posting up. I'VE been supplying the ideas regularly--

Yuki: Because you're eating MY chocolate!!

Hachi: *ahem* Anyways, I'VE been supplying the ideas regularly, but all YUKI has been doing is lazing away...so, complain to her, not to me.

Yuki: It's not ME!!! *grr* I want my CHOCOLATE!!! I'm HUNGRY!!!

~* Fanfiction Responses *~

Tsuki Yume: Naw, I don't mind. Glad you're enjoying the story so far!

Wayfarer-redemption: Thanks for reviewing! Glad you liked it!

Wake-Robin: Thanks! ^^

Ptbear: I'm trying to come as quick as possible...happy you like the story so far!

BabyTil14: Happy you like and thanks for reviewing!

Lots of greets,

Yukisora and Hachigatsu