Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ Hands of Fate ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Three

The Hands of Fate

Kagome's painting had been automatically put to a frame, and Teach Misa had put it right into the display hall, where any and all students could pass by and watch. Kagome had walked by this particular hall several times, not really caring that so many students walked by and stop to gape at her new work. Some, of course, would look at it in disdain, muttering about why anyone would want to paint anyways.

Kagome paid them no mind. Her work has been put under museums, so she knew she wasn't bad. Heck, if one had centuries to practice, they could perfect practically anything.

The giggles--loud, shrill, and massively annoying giggles--caught Kagome's attention first. She turned from admiring some of the other painter's works, and looked over at the head of the hall.

A group of girls was walking down the halls, clustered all over one another. They were laughing over something, and were completely unaware of their silent spectator.

Kagome frowned. The aura surrounding them was a bundle of mainly pink, indicating that they're in desiring of something. But that's not what's put the frown into her face.

For a moment, just a split second, she'd thought she'd caught a sense of youki.*

~*~*~*~

"Shuuichi-san!" one of the girls said, blinking her large brown eyes at him. "I'm having a bit of trouble in Mr. Tobuko's class...all that trigonometry is just getting way too confusing..."

Shuuichi Minamino, otherwise known as Kurama, turned to one of the giggling girls. His red hair gleamed in the sunlight and his emerald eyes flashed momentarily. The next second however, they returned to their normal friendliness, with just a hint of aloofness. He breathed to himself, trying to hide his annoyance from the surrounding girls. When was the last time when I actually walked to class by myself? he wondered.

*How about...never? Oh, wait! There was that ONE time, back when you were dating Maya...* Youko, Shuuichi's youkai counterpart, mused.

Maya Katajima, a girl from one of his old schools, had been Shuuichi's only girlfriend in his entire life. Although many girls flaunt themselves to this beautiful teen, he himself had never really met a particular girl that had captured his attention fully.

Maya at the time, had been a particular girl. She had some psychic powers of her own, and had caught Kurama talking to Makai* creatures more than once. However, she still found herself falling for him, so she finally admitted her feelings for him.

*Couldn't tell her no, huh?*

~Quiet.~

*Don't deny it...*

Kurama sighed. It was true. He couldn't tell Maya no, when she admitted her feelings. So, reluctantly, he agreed to having a relationship with her. But it was that same night that she was kidnapped, because of her connection with Kurama. The youkai*, that intended on eating her, and capturing her powers, was soon killed by Kurama and his friend, Hiei. Afterwards, he had to wipe her memory, so she would not remember the demon that she had seen and witnessed firsthand.

Naturally, he'd stayed away from relationships afterwards.

"Shuuichi-san?"

"Hm," Kurama quickly backtracked, trying to find out where the conversation had gone while he'd been daydreaming. "Oh, well, maybe you should go into the tutoring program."

"Tutoring program?" the girl's face clouded. "Well, who are the tutors?"

"Ah, well, I'm not sure." Shuuichi's not stupid. These girls had been hanging around him for the entire term already. And they'd made it blatantly clear that they would go out with him at the first hint. "I don't really know the people in that program."

"Oh."

A flare of amused aura caught his attention and Kurama quickly looked up. However, there was no one there, but for the usual students, scurrying to their classrooms. He narrowed his eyes and glanced around the hall again. He could have sworn he'd caught a whiff of ki*...

"Wow..." Another of the girls around him had turned and was admiring a painting by the display hall. Shuuichi himself had always made a point of viewing the paintings, because he himself had a few works up there himself.

Kurama came forth and viewed the new works posted. Just as he was finished, a stroke of colors caught his attention. His heart stopped, as he caught sight of the masterpiece on the wall.

Every stroke, every brush was painted exactly and precisely. The blending and shading of the colors mixed and tumbled together, creating the form of a beautiful kitsune-youkai* on the verge of changing to her true form. Kurama slowly took in the midnight hair, emerald eyes, and the golden gown.

The face, unmistakably, was familiar to him. This demon's every feature, and posture was formed from his very own memory. Youko's every memory.

*O...Okaa-san(*)! What in the world...?!*

Kurama paid his counterpart no mind. His eyes scanned the signature. In graceful, flowing kanji was the name of this artist.

Kagome Higurashi.

~*~*~*~

"Bye, Kagome-san!"

Kagome turned and waved at the girl she met at her English class. Lots of people had came up to Kagome today and so, she'd already made lots of friends. It's not because she's particulary beautiful or worldly, but because of her own personal aura. She had a charismatic aura and thus, attracting lots of normal humans to herself.

And, of course, lots of demons.

She purposefully walked to the back alleyway, knowing that the demon would follow. When she reached the dead end, she stopped and turned.

"Waiting for me, little miko*?"

He came into the alleyway, sauntering and grinning. He had a human look about him with his spiked up black hair and purple eyes. He's short, in demon terms, but rather tall for a human. He stared down at her and smirked.

"Hand over the Jewel, miko. I know you have it."

"I WOULD give it to you, darling," Kagome sighed, rolling her eyes, "if you hadn't been so cheeky, arrogant, and downright annoying."

"Why...you insolent wench!"

He would have rushed to her, to Kagome, if the tendril of transulcent blue ki didn't wrap around his legs, and snaked their way up to his waist. Kagome walked calmly up to him, her eyes bored. "Listen, I've sensed your ki. You are no match for me. Why don't you bother someone who you know you cannot beat?"

The demon blinked at her. Kagome noted with wonder at the fact that they suddenly turned mahogany. "I...ACK!! Where am I?!"

What the...?

"Youkai, are you going to answer my question?"

"Miko! Damn! How did I encounter a MIKO?!" he growled, and started struggling like mad. "This is insane! Where the hell am I?"

Kagome frowned. Just what in the name of the seven hell is going on here?

"Damn it! Don't hurt me, miko! I've never actually hurt a ningen*, unless it was absolutely necessary! I've got a family back in the Makai and they depend on me!"

The girl's eyes narrowed in suspicion. Why would a demon like that be in the Nigenkai* in the first place? She closed her eyes and probed his mind. Images of a snow-white bird youkai smiling gently, as a younger youkai danced around the mother, chasing the surrounding makai butterflies. Just as she was about to allow him free of her confines, something else in his mind caught her attention.

"You've got one hour," Kagome finally said, slipping from his mind. She allowed her miko purifying ki to seep up his body, and into his body by any means of opening. "Return to Makai and never step back into the Nigenkai. If you so much as step a toe out of the border, you'll find that the miko essence within your blood would break free and explode, thus, destroying you."

The youkai's mouth dropped open. "I...hai*!"

Kagome shrugged. "Just start back already. You're on the clock."

She watched the demon go off, searching for the portal again. Her eyes softened, as she watched his earnest form leave. "Careful, tori-youkai*..." Kagome breathed.

Her mind wandered back to the black, shadowy substance inside the youkai's mind. The looming figure in shadows returned, smiling maloviently. It raised a claw, crackling with energy...

"...You cannot afford to be captured again..."

~*~*~*~

The swirls of shadows loomed over Kagome, much as the hatred of the Shikon had covered her all those centuries ago. The thick smell of maisma* lingered on the air, reminding her of the hanyou* she'd defeated all those years ago. Not a spark of light lit anywhere and, slowly, mists of pure black began to form around her leg...

"Nee-chan*!!!"

Kagome's head whipped around, hearing Souta's desperate plea for help. It was far off, ringing loudly...ominously...

"Nee-chan! Help!!!"

"Souta?! Souta, where are you?!"

"Nee-chan!! The ants! The ants! They're crawling all over!! Nee-chan!!! Help!!! NEE-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!"

~*~*~*~

"SOUTA!!!!!!"

Her heart was thumping loudly against her chest, pumping blood and adrenaline throughout her entire system. Sweat poured down her forehead, as she bolted out of bed. Her hair was pasted onto her head, drenched in the sweat. Her blankets and pajama stuck to her, covering themselves to her every curve.

Breathing, panting, Kagome slowly looked around her room. Her desk was as she'd left it, cluttered with the many textbooks and papers. Her vanity table was next to it, holding all her "female accessories" and "necessities." A nightstand was by her bed, with her alarm clock ringing loudly throughout room. Her closet door was opened, showing her closet filled with the variety of clothing she possessed. The window was opened and the curtains flapped happily against the gentle breeze, allowing the morning sun through.

Everything was the same.

The rest of her family was already awake. Kagome could hear her mother already talking to a new customer on the kitchen phone, while Jii-san* hobbled across the hall, muttering about tightening the security. Souta was running around the place, excited about going to the park.

"Darn! I promised Kudosai I'd bring the ball!!!"

Everything was the same.

Inhaling deeply, and letting the breath out in a whoosh, Kagome dropped back onto her bed. She wiped her forehead slightly, staring at the white, smooth ceiling of her room. Her eyes closed and she listened to the loud, continuous ringing of her alarm clock.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Nee-chan! Help! Nee-chan!!!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Nee-chan! The ants! They're crawling all over! Nee-chan!!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Nee-chan! Nee-chan!!!! NEE-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a cry of frustration, Kagome bolted from her bed a second time and smacked her alarm clock. Unable to hold the immense pressure of her hand, it crashed underneath her and remained silent. The second hand ticked three times, each tick bringing it closer to the twelve, as Kagome stared.

It stopped.

Kagome continued to stare, remembering her nightmare.

11:59 AM, it blinked sadly.

Kagome continued to watch the second hand. It didn't move. Sighing, she got out of bed and started for the bathroom. Stress, she thought as she turned on the showers. Stress of starting my life all over again. That's all it is.

The hot water tumbled out of the showers, raining all over the girl. Turning her head towards the warmth, she closed her eyes and allowed the pure drops hit against her bare skin. Gradually, her body returned to their usual rosy pink from the heat, and her cheeks flushed from their previous pale white. The steam of the bathroom slowly rose from the tub and circulated around the bathroom, bringing warmth in its wake.

Back inside her room, the second hand suddenly quivered again. It struggled to move closer and closer...and ticked.

Suddenly, the clock's time had changed. No longer, does the hands of Fate remain before its time, waiting for the opportune time to play everything.

12:00...

...Time for things to finally begin.

VOCABULARY

YOUKI: demonic energy

MAKAI: demon realm

YOUKAI: demon

KI: energy

KITSUNE-YOUKAI: fox demon

OKAA-SAN: Mother

MIKO: priestess

NINGEN: human

NIGENKAI: human realm

HAI: yes

TORI-YOUKAI: bird demon

MAISMA: dark energy that's neither raw energy, pure energy, nor demonic energy

HANYOU: half demon

NEE-CHAN: sister

JII-SAN: grandfather

Author's Corner

Yuki: OK, that's that. *claps hands*

Hachi: *currently finishing off the last of Yuki's gumdrops* Oh, goody. Now, for the next chapter...

Yuki: WAIT!!!!!! *glares at his hands* WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY GUMDROPS?!?!?!

Hachi: *stares at his hands* What does it look like? *looks up at Yuki* I'm eating them.

Yuki: *snatches gumdrops* They're MINE!!! I was going to EAT them the minute I finish this chapter!

Hachi: Oh. *shrugs* Well, they've just went to a better cause...

Yuki: ARRGH!!!!!!!!! You owe me chocolate AND gumdrops you candy monster!!!!!!

[Hachi promptly changes to the form of a "candy monster." Big ugly scales of green with purple ooze and faces Yuki, who has turned completely white...]

Yuki: ahhHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!! YOU'RE SLIMING EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~* Fanfiction *~

DumbAssPunk: Haha!!! That's such a sweet bribe... Glad to see that you're enjoying this fic and thanks for reviewing!!! ^^)

Wayfarer-Redemption: I hope so too! Thanks for reviewing! Happy to meet your expectations!!!!

Wake-Robin: Thanks! It took some time to come up with her name. But, then, I guess it fits... ^_^

Gopher2806: Thanks! I'm happy you liked it!

SavedFromBoredom: I came, I came! Happy you liked!

~* Mediaminer *~

Hanyou_Miko_Higurashi: Thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you're enjoying this fic so far! Thanks for telling me about Midoriko. I'm not going to change the past chapters, however. I'll just fix them later on. I thank you for your offer, and I'll call you up to it when I need! ^^

Shadow_Demoness: Thanks for reviewing!

Kagome360: *blush* Thanks for reviewing...I don't deserve all those tens... Anyways, happy to see you're enjoying this fic so far!

Shadownekko: Happy to know that you liked! Thanks for reviewing!

Angel of the Twilght: Thanks! I actually paint and draw myself. Ashita was a creation and is one of my paintings. I'd have it posted up online, except I have it on a canvase of...something like a 16" by 24" so I can't have it scanned... If anyone would like to take this idea and paint it, I don't mind. Just state where you got the idea from.

I noticed that people in mm.org don't like to review a lot. Why is that? It shows all these visits that I got, but most of you never review! PLEASE read and REVIEW my works! It'll help because I'd like to know what sort of feedback I'm getting!

~* End *~

I thank all those who reviewed for this story so far! I'm happy and flattered that y'all are enjoying this new fic of mine!!!!!!

Lots of greets,

Yukisora and Hachigatsu