Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ Who Are You Really? ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Five

Who Are You Really?

The math professor continued on with his rambling, not really noticing that he'd already lost most of his student's attention. A few, high academic achievers, sat up in the front, listening and paying close attention to the equations that their sensai* was instructing them on. But, other than that, no one was paying much attention.

Some students were sending text messages to their friends, using their math books for a cover. Others, girls, were fixing up their make-up and gossiping among themselves. Some were finishing some last minute homework assignment that they'd slided on last night. And others just daydreamed the lesson away.

That would be the category Kagome fell under. She sat in her math room, on this very uncomfortable piece of metal the administration INSISTS is a chair, staring out at the dull sky. Her thoughts were in a turmoil.

Last night, she had had the same dream pertaining to Souta again. Instead, this time, she found him. He stood a few feet away from her, unable to see his sister, but could hear her desperate voice...

~* Flashback *~

"Nee-chan*! Where are you?" Souta called, tears coursing down his cheek. He tried walking, but he couldn't...he was bounded, unable to step away from the swirling maisma*...

"Here Souta, here! Look in front of you!" Kagome tried to run to her brother desperately, a single hand reaching before her. But, no matter how fast she ran, how far she ran, Souta remained those few feet away from her, always just out of her grasp. "Souta, look in front of you!"

Tears, from the fear he felt, continued to pour down. "Doko? Doko, nee-chan, doko?" He was turning in circles, eyes never really seeing her. They passed over her, directly next to her, completely turned away from her, or just saw right through her.

The swirls of maisma grew thicker, lengthening. They wrapped themselves around Souta, slowly crawling up his leg. His eyes widened all the more from the fear, and his voice broke. "Help me, nee-chan! Why won't you help me?"

His broken sobs tore Kagome's heart open. "I'm here, Souta! I'm trying! I'm trying!" But still, she couldn't reach her little brother. She could only watch, as he was slowly consumed by the maisma. "NO! SOUTA!!!"

Before her, the maisma slowly withdrew. But no longer did her brother lay before her. In its place, a shell, a stoned figure of what Souta had been lay stiff. He stopped moving, and the maisma relinquished its claim immediately. Kagome ran to her brother's side, crying brokenly. "Souta, no...Souta..."

A single tear appeared in the stone statue's eyes. It slowly dripped down his hard cheek.

Why nee-chan? Why won't you help me?

~* End Flashback *~

Kagome closed her eyes, shutting her clouded blue-gray eyes away from the rest of the world. She breathed deeply, desperately trying to forget the image from her nightmare. It's not real, she told herself. It's not real. Just some crazy nightmare...that's all...

And yet, even as her mind slowly believed...

...Her heart would not.

~*~*~*~

Kagome walked through the doors leading to Teach Misa's room. She slowly inhaled the scent of the oil paints, the smell of the wet clay, and the aroma of the different medium used for the many types of paints. The room was as cluttered as always, stashing away the different pieces of art that'd soon turn into masterpieces.

She smiled at a couple of the people, and waved to another few others. Settling down onto her seat, she yawned.

"Ogenki desuka*, Kagome-chan?" a guy asked. His black hair was cut short, with two strands of lavender-blue bangs framing his face. Startling blue eyes stared back into her slightly grayed ones with concern. A studded earring glimmered on his left ear. "You look horrible."

"Gee, thanks for the compliment, ­T­­­oya," Kagome drawled slowly, her tone dry and sarcastic. "You have SUCH a way of flattering a girl..."

"Oh, allow me to amend that," Toya grinned. "May I say, Miss Higurashi, that you have the most BEAUTIFUL of complexion I have ever seen? And your eyes, your eyes are the most stunning shade of blue I've ever encountered. Not to mention your mouth, so beautiful, so sensual. You nose, we must not forget your nose. Such a lovely specimen, small, pert, with a hint of aristocracy in them. Oh, and then there are your ears-"

Upon hearing this, Kagome burst out laughing. "My EARS??"

"What can I say?" Toya shrugged mockingly, "I find beautiful ears irresistible!"

"And why do you never say those beautiful words to me, hm?" Ami, Toya's girlfriend, demanded, as she took a seat next to him. "I turn my back on you for ONE second, and I find you flirting with my friends!"

Toya grinned cheesily at his girlfriend. "Never say you are jealous, my dear Ami?" Ami, predictably, whacked him on his head and huffed.

Kagome grinned at the pair of them. In the few days that she'd been attending Meiou High, it was Toya and Ami that has became close friends. The two of them reminded her of Miroku and Sango, and she wouldn't be surprised if they actually descended from the two!

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

Kagome and Toya both looked up, and found a tall redhead with stunning green eyes staring back at them. Kagome raised a single eyebrow, realizing who this teen was. "Hey, it's Minamino! What up man?" Toya slapped the seat. "Take it, there's no set seat in Teach Misa's class."

"Arigatô*." The teen sat down onto the free seat, and settled down.

Kagome eyed him, seeing him closely for the very first time. His hair, a beautiful shade of red, was put in a style that Kagome had never thought possible. It was fashioned in a way that it would remind the onlooker of a kitsune's* tail. His eyes, a beautiful clear green, was friendly with just a hint of aloof mixed in along with them. His body, a tall, muscular frame that was, stunningly enough, lean at the same time, gave him that of a playboy's look.

But it was none of those attributes that's attracted Kagome's attention, gorgeous though they were. When she first caught sight of him, she thought she caught sight of a flash of silver. But, when she looked more closely, she saw nothing but the red and gold that he wore. Kagome had just dismissed it as a trick of the eye, when it again flashed.

Turning slightly, looking, but not looking DIRECTLY at him, she thought she saw the form of a kitsune youkai* huddled up in a ball in the center of this guy's heart! Blinking, wondering how a youkai managed to stay in this human boy's heart, Kagome sighed.

She sensed no youki* from him, but that could be all fake. However, since his manner and expression gave her no threat, she decided to keep quiet about this. After all, she could hardly start having a fight with a youkai in the middle of the classroom. Not only would the students and Teach Misa think they've gone insane, but they'd ruin the beautiful works of art!

"...meet Shuuichi Minamino," Toya was saying. "Though I'm pretty sure you've heard of him by now."

"Sure," Kagome said, smiling at him. Wary though she was of this youkai (human?) boy, she supposed she shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. Maybe he just wanted an education. "The entire female population of Meiou High is currently going gaa over you, did you know?"

"Why, Kagome, I'm hurt," Toya said, making a perfect imitation of a pouting child. "And here I thought you might have had the hots for me." Ami whacked him again, and glared over at her boyfriend mockingly before turning to Shuuichi.

"So, Shuuichi-san, are we allowed to speak to you? Or would your famed Fan Club mug us after school with clubs and chains?" Ami teased, smiling at him. "Because if they are, then Kagome and I would rather we talk to you some other time."

Shuuichi grinned. "I assure you they will not be coming with chains and clubs." He turned to Kagome. "You're new, aren't you?"

"Hai*," Kagome smiled.

"Would you be the same Kagome Higurashi who painted that beautiful painting up in the display hall?"

Toya heard this and groaned. "I knew it."

Shuuichi and Kagome both turned to him, curiosity in their gazes. "I KNEW that Kagome's painting was going to get more attention than mine!" Toya snapped his fingers. "I should've painted angels or something."

Hearing this, Kagome was once again dissolved into laughter. Ami rolled her eyes. "You have NO idea how many guys have asked the same question," her friend continued for Kagome. "I just walked through the hall with Kag a couple of times, you know, and there must've been a dozen guys asking the SAME question as a pick-up line!"

Hearing this, Shuuichi blushed. "No, no. I mean nothing like that! I really am curious!"

The couple would have continued embarrassing poor Kagome and Shuuichi, had Teach Misa not suddenly walk into the room. Her cheeks were flushed red, and her eyes flashed brightly. "Hello class! Sorry I'm late! I've got some good news and some bad news! Which would you like to hear first?"

There was a pause, before someone shouted out, "The good!"

"OK," she clapped her hands together, as though in high anticipation of something. "Well, the ceramic clay has arrived..." The class started to cheer but, "Unfortunately, the other art teacher, Sensai Konochi, has decided that it might be too toxic for use. So he confiscated them, and said he'll have to send it to the administration for check up."

Silence. Then...

"WHAAT?!?!?!?!?!"

A dozen hands rose into the air. "Didn't YOU order them-?"

"-what does he MEAN toxic-?"

"-who died and made HIM king-?"

"-wasn't it YOU to organized for the shipment-?"

"-bet he just doesn't want you to win-"

"-WHO died and made HIM KING-?"

"-didn't the administration ALREADY approved-?"

"-realized that you're gonna get MUCH more popular than him-"

"-ALREADY more popular than him-"

"WHO DIED AND MADE HIM KING?"

Teach Misa watched this chaos before waving her hands for quiet. "Calm down, everyone! Calm!" Gradually, the class quieted down. "I know you were all very excited in using that clay for our newest project. But, it would seem, we would have to put that off for some time. I will inform everyone as SOON as the examination is complete. For the time being, why don't everyone just go on with the wet clay?"

Disappointment washed through everyone, but they agreed with their teacher. After all, it wasn't HER fault that their clay had been taken. Kagome went to the back of the room, where her small figurine stood along with the rest of the clay figures. She brought it back to the table, and began working on it immediately.

She had the basic outline of the figure--that of a female's. No distinguishable features were lit on this woman yet, and the coloring was dull. But, under the careful fingers of Kagome's, the woman's shape slowly turned from a piece of clay, to that of a figure playing a flute.

Her hair, donned in Chinese's fashion, was braided intricately, and piled up onto her head. two balls of hair was held on the side of her hair, held together by a clip of flower and leaves. Two long strands of braided hair, reaching as far as her waist, slipped from the front of the bun and brushed against the underside of her breasts. Four shorter strands of hair (two on each side) floated as far as to the nape of her neck.

A sensuous mouth was soon added to the body of this figure. her eyes were closed, every lash visible. She had dangling earrings, shaped like teardrops on her ears. Her small, delicate fingers clutched the flute as she played to the wind, lost. Kagome attached a thin wire into the flute, to support the thin beam, before adding a small tassel to its ends. It, too, blew to the east, as though a silent breeze ruffled it with its gentle caress.

Her gown, that of a simple kimono, swirled around her feet. Small bangle bracelets adorn her wrists, and they too, were made to complete perfection. And then, Kagome slowly applied clay to the figure's back. Slowly, slowly, the wings of butterflies protruded from the back of the figure, spread wide. It rose up, over her head, as though it was just on the verge of flying or landing.

Judging from her position, you'd have to say she's getting ready for flight, for she seemed to be sitting. On what, no one but Kagome knew. As the lesson bore on, it soon became apparent what this little fairy sat on. A tree, older and more gnarly than you can imagine, laid below and behind her. Kagome added the extra clay that laid on the table before her, onto the base of the tree, twisting it, putting the designs of thousand year old trees into this figure. Adding in small branches at the very top, leaves slowly became recognizable. A few flowers on the verge of budding appeared under her gentle hands, while others turned their fully bloomed faces towards the unseen sun.

Using her messy fingers to smooth out the final bit of stray clay on the top of the Sakura tree, Kagome sighed her satisfaction. She smiled, and looked up, only to find her friends staring at her piece in open wonder. Toya's work, three quarters finished, started the works of a surfer riding a gigantic wave. The surfer had spiked up hair, a look of pure concentration, with a perfect posture. The board was balanced on the very top of the clay. It was only the wave itself that needs finishing.

Ami had decided to sculpt the picture of three children playing in a snowstorm. Two of them were patting a half-finished snowmen, while the third held out a bundle of snow to the oldest of the three.

Shuuichi Minamino also had ceased to sculpt. Unlike the other two, he wasn't staring at her piece, but at her. His piece, a sculpture of a woman tending to her garden of roses and violets, laid before him, forgotten.

"Um, guys?"

"You should go pro, Kagome-chan," Ami whispered, staring at Kagome's one foot piece before the embarrassed girl. "Really. This is so amazing..."

Kagome blushed, and waved the suggestion aside. After all, Ami didn't know that, technically, she'd already gone pro.

~*~*~*~

The bell rang, signaling the end of Art class. Kagome, who had just finished glazing her figure, gently placed onto the rack in the back of the room. She watched some of the other works, her eyes twinkling happily.

Over the passage of time, the girl has learned to love art both for its uniqueness and for the way they made her feel. Art, to her, is not just how beautifully and skillfully a piece is portrayed. It is also the feeling, the energy, the artist imputed into the piece, when they were creating their masterpiece.

Take a child, for example. Their very first piece of work is forever cherished into the hearts of the parents, not because their skill surpassed Monet of Picasso. It was because of the love, and the hope, that the child has put into their work, that had reached through to touch their parents' hearts.

Even if it was a crude finger painting, or a piece clay portraying a disfigured bowl or pony, the gesture in it was the same. Every stroke, every brush, was another downpour of emotion, trying to convey to their parents of their love and their hope of seeing their smile.

It was because of these feelings, that great pieces of art is formed. If you would look at all the great artists in the world, like Picasso and DaVincce, you will see their paintings alone is not all that skillful. Simple paintings of "abstract" art has caused lots of wondering and speculation in the modern world today. And yet, if you'll look at it, isn't the pieces just another work? A piece that, less accomplished artist, could achieve? So, why is it that THEY are so special?

Because every moment they spent on their work strives for perfection, hoping that the viewer would get the same feeling they had had in creating this piece. The simple pleasure of stroking their works, or the sadness and grief that ate at their heart... These are the reasons why Kagome loved art.

"Art is a large part of your life, isn't it?"

Kagome turned her attention to the tall figure of Shuuichi Minamino. He watched her with those intense emerald eyes of his, never blinking nor wavering. He seemed to be content, just watching her. "Hai, that's true."

"What made you start on it?" Shuuichi asked, stepping forward.

"Hm," Kagome smiled at him, her face a mask of nothing but friendliness. "Well, if I get into that, we'll be standing here all afternoon and well into the night. And, even if you don't, I've got to get to class."

"Another time, then."

"Hai, maybe another time..." Kagome slung her backpack over her shoulder, and smiled at him. "Nice meeting you, Shuuichi-san."

Shuuichi Minamino watched her leave the room, her ebony locks swaying gently behind her. "Who are you, Kagome Higurashi? Who are you really?"

VOCABULARY

Sensai: Teacher

Nee-chan: Sister

Maisma: Evil energy

Doko: Where

Ogenki desuka: Are you alright?

Arigatô: Thank you

Kitsune Fox

Youkai: Demon

Youki: Demonic energy

Hai: Yes

Author's Corner

Yuki: *sigh* Yes, finally, Kagome and Kurama met...It took some patience on my part. I wanted to start the story, originally, with Kagome and Kurama already met, but...I don't know...

Hachi: This was the better way, Yuki. You began midway for FM, so it's only natural to start differently. After all, if all your stories have the same theme, you should just join that show, Pokémon.

Yuki: *whack* I like Pokémon!!

Hachi: *snickers* That show has no theme. It's always: Ash and company goes out on another day, meets new people/pokemons, team rocket comes, says another of their motto, makes up another whacked/retarded plan to capture Pikachu and whatever else pokemon they could get their greedy little hands on, Pikachu/Pokemons get taken for a fraction of a minute, something comes along, Ash calls for Pikachu to "THUNDERBOLT THEM!!!" and team rocket blasts off-Happily Ever After!!

Yuki: For someone who don't like Pokémon, you sure know a lot about it...

Hachi: IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuki: Well, alright, the theme could use a bit help, but the little pokemon are real kawaii, don't you think?? *blinks happily* RIIGHT Hachi??

Hachi: *freezes* No! I disagree! They're horrible! They're disgusting!!!! They're...!

[Yuki holds up two whole chocolate bars.]

Yuki: Yes, Hachi?

[Poof!]

Yuki: Aw...

[Hachi turns from his previous form to that of a small Eevee.]

Yuki: You're so kawaii...*cuddle*

Hachi: Eevee!!! Eev! Eev eevee!!!

Yuki: What was that Hachi? *munches on one bar* Aw, you really are cute...*cuddle*

Hachi: EEVEE!!!!! EEV!!!!! EEV EEVEE!!!!!!!!!

Yuki: Mm... *munch*

[Poof!]

Yuki: *stare* AIIYAAA!!!!!!!!!

Hachi: *human mouth, with eevee body* MY CHOCOLATE, Yuki, my CHOCOLATE!!!!

Yuki: *throws remaining chocolate bars to the whacked muse* Mou!!! What a bonker!!! I wonder if it's safe to continue living with that thing??? *sigh* So, yes, on with the responses!!!

~* Fanfiction *~

Wake-Robin: ^^ Danx, but no thanks. It must hurt to have it pricked...>_< I'm glad to hear you FINALLY watching YYH. (Didn't I tell you at the beginning of the year to watch it??) But, yea, the series ROCK!!! And I'm glad to hear that you liked my bro-sis moment!!! ^^

Inudemoness247: Sorry! I didn't intend it to be a cliff!!! Really!!! I thought it was a pretty mild place to stop, so that you all won't destroy me for the wait. ^^() Heh, I knew I'd be busy, that's why. Sorry for the long wait, and I'm REALLY happy to hear that you're still into this story!!!! ^_^

SavedFromBoredom: Well, here's the "meeting" chapter I promised lots of people!!! They even talked!!! And this chapter was LONG!!! ^^- I'm proud of myself...

Kijotenshi: Glad to hear you like and approve of this fic!! ^_^ And thanks a bunch for reviewing my story!!

Pixi vixen: Thanks for reviewing and glad you like this!!! I came as quick as possible!!! Really!

IndecisiveFreak: haha, lol. Yea, I've seen one of those pictures in my mind before. And God knows there are enough Fan Clubs for Shuuichi out there in this world. lol. ^^)

Koshimaru: You have nothing to fear Koshi. I don't tend to give up on stories that much and if I do, this one is DEFINITELY not one of them. Here's the update, so no hunting, aiight??

AbsentAngel: Hm...well, if you mean Kag and Shuuichi, then I'd have to say Kagome. But if you mean counting the years of Youko's age, I'd say Youko.

SnowPixie: Thanks a lot!!! Glad you liked!!! ^_~

Writerlover101: Here's the update!! Thanks a lot for reviewing, and I'm happy you like this story!!! ^^-

Tsuki Yume: O.o Bruises?? No, no!!! I don't like a weak heroine. And, yea, I really liked that Fan Club idea!!! ^_^

Gopher2806: Thanks for the encouragement!! ^^- I'll never tire of it...And, heh, I didn't want the guys getting too good of an idea of Kagome before she even meets them. Besides, it would have really messed up this chapter, seeing as I didn't really want him to have any remembrance of Kag...

**I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! A BIG ARIGATÃ" FOR THE REVIEWS!!!!!!!

~* Mediaminer *~

tbiris: *singy-song voice* I'm not telling!! Just read and find out!!!

AnimeFreakNikore: O.o Watch me my head swell...I'm SO happy to hear that you like my story!!! Really, it's amazingly sweet...And thanks so much for telling me so. ^^-

Angelkitty77: I came! I came!! ^^() Thanks for reviewing!!!

JB: I don't mind-annoy me all you like!! ^^() Er, on second thought, plz keep that strictly on mm.org. Really, I'm glad you like my story enough to annoy me!! And thanks for the reviews!!

Lady_Love2000_us: Thanks! For both the review and the compliments!!! Happy to see you like this!! ^_^

Anonymous0: Really? Thanks for telling me, but I'm going to stick with the two u's anyway. I just like it better this way, and that's the way most of my other fellows and site hosts have them so...^_^ Thanks for the info all the same!!!!

XXJBxXInuyashaXxJBXx: ^^ lol. Hachi's still nuts over that...*sigh*...it might interfere with the ideas, with him always in the middle FFX-2...*sigh* IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!>.<

Reiya Moon: ^_^ Here, a real quick update!!! (Kinda)

**Thanks for the reviews!!! PLEASE CONTINUE TO GIVE ME FEEDBACK!!!!!!!

~* End *~

Oh, if there are any grammar mistakes with the chapter, it's not my editor's fault. I usually print out the chapters for her to edit, but we haven't been seeing one another lately, so she really CAN'T edit... ^^()

As for myself, I was a lazy bum and was too lazy to edit this chapter too...if anything wrong, blame Microsoft Word's Spelling and Grammar Check!!!!!

And in addition, the next chapter will come out within one or two weeks from this update (if not sooner). In the meantime, click on the button on the bottom, and give this struggling author some feedback!!!

Happy Reading!

Lots of greets,

Yukisora and Hachigatsu