Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Never say: It can't get any worse ❯ Such is life. ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

VERY IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ!

I rewrote chapter 2 and 3 and the flashback on chapter 4. Very major changes so if things get weirder and you don't understand what's going on then it would be best if you just read chapters 2 and 3 and Kagome's flashback in chapter four. The plot changed slightly, because it was starting to get cliché.

Note: Souten is a real character. Her first and (sadly) last appearance in Inu Yasha is in episode sixty-eight.

Next note: I'm sorry this took long, but I would like to give credit to Mistress of the Sword for that idea of that flickering thing that Kurama does. U_U I'm sorry I took it off your story!!! *sniffs* Imitation is the best expression of flattery . . . . Or something like that. Oh and for those who absolutely thrive off of YYH/IY crossovers read her story 'Feelings For A Fox' (fanfiction.net AND mediaminer.org) My favorite. I love it. Along with this other one called By Any Other Name byDeviant Nature (fanfiction.net). They're both AMAZERINGLY COOLERIFIC!!!

Thank you to Higurashi Kagome who informed me of that person who sorta copied my story but didn't really. It was all resolved peacefully, and if anyone else finds something that someone else copied off of me then please inform me. Thank you.

*

Sesshomaru contained a sigh that almost escaped his lips. 'No more sake for this Sesshomaru.' He thought to himself.

Angel Rin giggled. ~You know sake doesn't affect you silly!!~

Devil Jaken snorted. =Of course it doesn't. He IS a demon!=

The demon in question uncharacteristically ran a clawed hand through his hair. Stress. That must be it. He was getting SO stressed out about impressing the other lords and ladies that he was starting to hallucinate. He needed something to calm him down, something soothing. Inu Yasha. He inwardly perked up. Yes. Beating the shit out of his worthless half brother was very much relaxing at times!

Usually a youkai could not beat up another youkai during a Lords Meeting, but if they both agree to fight one another on terms they both agree upon, even on a fight to the death terms, then it's okay. The only thing forbidden to do is kill another when it was not agreed upon as a fight to the death match. That and you had to have someone testify about the terms of the fight or at least witness the battle so that the two contenders abided by the original terms. Nothing too hard to do. His brother, after all, was SO easy to manipulate. As for a witness Jaken or Ah Un - whomever he found first - would do.

~Fighting is bad! You shouldn't fight!~ scolded the angelic version of Rin

=Don't listen to that twit! Fighting is GOOD it will aid you in the future!!!= Devil Jaken said evilly.

~WHAT?! Come 'ere and say that to my face!~ Angel Rin flew up in front of Sesshomaru's nose and stuck her tongue out at the demonic devil representation.

=Fine!= The demonic version of Jaken flew up to her and said =You are a stupid goody-good twit who's nose is as big as her butt and smells like . . . . Ah-Un's crap! That and you're - =

Sesshomaru reached out and squished Devil Jaken in his fist sufficiently cutting off the insults he was bantering about. Great! Now he was actually responding to the ocular manifestations of his stressed over abused cranium. Such is the life of a prodigious genius.

*

Kagome took the kids back to the nursery then gladly handed them over to another nanny with a smile and assurance that she'd be back to play with the tykes later. The miko stretched her arms and yawned tiredly. Shippo sat on her shoulder looking around in constant vigil for any danger such as a silver kitsune, a tall light and handsome silver kitsune, a tall virile I-will-seduce-and-molest-your-mother-so-ha-ha-ha! foxy demon by the name of Youko. After that escapade with Youko he decided to dedicate one whole month to protecting his mother from molesters and rapists! The little kit just couldn't be convinced that Youko was just tickling her, he repeatedly told her that the silver fox just made it seem as if he was tickling her but in reality the silver kitsune was just molesting his dear beloved surrogate mother! He couldn't let that happen! He was on a mission! He would not let his new mother succumb to what he called the 'infamous seductive powers' of a silver fox!!!

She sighed but smiled at her little kit's overprotective actions. It was extremely cute to watch. Except he wouldn't allow any male over fifteen years to come near her within a five meter radius and proceeded to growl and snarl if he didn't immediately leave the perimeter. A few minutes ago, when they were in an small inner courtyard, he attacked Inu Yasha for not leaving immediately and he kept screaming at the top of his lungs, 'I WON'T LET YOU MEN CORRUPT MY MOMMA BY SEDUCING AND MOLESTING HER!!! NOW BEGONE!!!' Needless to say that was embarrassing especially when a large gathering of youkai came to see what was happening . . . Particularly when a specific silver kitsune was sitting on the roof was doubled over in laughter at her expense. At that moment she wanted to die - but she didn't, she didn't for her beloved embarrassing kit.

Nah. The real reason she didn't die is because Inu Yasha would've killed her if she did. The miko sighed once more resisting the urge to bury her burning face in her hands.

"Leave. Now!" An irritated voice growled.

Sesshomaru. Kagome walked swiftly toward an intersection of the hallway determined to find out who exactly was annoying enough to irritate the infamous level headed demon lord - then congratulate him/her. As she rounded the corner she was surprised to see that there was no one in the immediate vicinity . . . except for an irate demon lord who was muttering to himself . . .

"Leave this instant or I shall torture you both."

Silence

"I told you the two of you to leave. Now do it!"

"Uh. . . . Sesshomaru?"

The demon lord looked at the direction of the voice covering his surprise and panic with his well rehearsed emotionless façade. He waited silently staring openly at the feminine human while mentally kicking himself for muttering out loud. Damn illusionary manifestations of his cranium!

Kagome fidgeted under the taiyoukai's unwavering stare and swallowed hard. "Uh . . . who were you talking to?"

"Invisible air youkai. Apparently your sudden arrival scared them off."

~Sesshomaru-sama! Lying is bad! Especially since you can't lie to her.~

"Oh. . . . I thought . . . " Kagome trailed off uncertainly. To her the taiyoukai felt . . . pinkish . . . it means he was lying . . .

=Master! Don't listen to that winged monster!=

"We thought you were talking to yourself!" Shippo quipped. Sesshomaru was the only demon he would even think to trust with his surrogate mother.

'Shut up. The both of you. This Sesshomaru can lie to whomever and whenever I want to.'

Sesshomaru merely stared at the two getting a slight satisfaction out of the girl's sheepish fidgeting. When the girl said nothing more he abruptly brushed pass her and walked into the cross-section of the corridor, taking a left.

~It would be impossible to lie to her.~

'I just did.'

Angel Rin sighed. She fluttered down till she landed on the demon lord's right shoulder then sat down. ~I'm not saying you can't lie to her. I'm just saying it will be hard for her to believe your lie.~

'What do you mean?'

~ . . . . . . . ~

'Answer me.'

~ . . . . . . . ~

'I'll squish you.'

~No you won't.~

'And why not?'

~I'm Rin's exact look alike. Except I'm small and cuter! You wouldn't be able to squish me despite the fact that I'm just an optical illusion produced by your over burdened mind. Right?~

' . . . . . . . '

~Just as I thought.~

*

Youko yawned in boredom as his surveyed the area from his perch up on a high roof. Bloody damn bored was the only way to describe this particular kitsune at the moment. The only real highlight of the day was the Rin and Shippo incident, children say the darnest things. Now he wanted a kid - no kids. His own transportable, personal and entertaining circus of little rascals to amuse him during leisurely times . . . . . sextuplets would do fine at first . . . then maybe two sets of twins then he could tone the number of kids down a bit . . . that'd be a nice thought. Not to mention his mother would be only glad to have lots of grandchildren to embarrass him in front of by reminiscing and telling past stories, that AND it would prove to her that he wasn't a cold fish . . . . . long story. Don't ask.

[We can worry about children later Youko. Focus on the mission!]

{Mhhrrr . . . But it's so BORING! Can't we just steal one itsy bitsy piece of valuable something? I swear just one! Anyone thing! I swear on my honour, name, and race that if you let me take one item of value from some moronic demon I'll focus on the mission!!}

Suuichi sighed. [Fine. ONE thing. But not from any important demon.]

{Wha!? Where's the fun in that?!}

[Absolutely nowhere. I don't want to take the chance of us getting caught - }

[Are you questioning my extortion skills?!} Youko snapped irritably. {I may be several centuries old but let me tell you something boy my skills are the sharpest and I happen to be the best of the best when it comes to stealing stuff! Even among other silver kitsunes I am considered the master of stealth a practical legend amongst my people. Furthermore - }

[All right. All right. I get the point, you're the best and there's no way in the seven hells that anyone could ever come close to your caliber because you are an almighty god when it comes to stealing.]

{I can't believe it! You actually agreed to what I was saying for once!}

[Yeah. Yeah. Well. . . . . You are an expert and as much as I'd hate to admit it you are part of me as much as your thieving skills are part of you.}

{Ya see? The first step is to admit that you have a problem.}

[. . . . What?]

{ Nothing . . . }

[Come on! Let's do some snooping!]

{Later. We have a whole month to do this.}

[But don't you want to get home sooner?]

{I want to stay for a while. I don't get to be out as much as you do you know and it smells better - }

/Get up sluggard!/

Youko jumped up and twirled around to face a disgruntled Hiei. {What?! I was just . . . resting my eyes . . . }

/Really? I suppose that would explain why both your eyes were wide open and glazed?/

{Conversation with Kurama.}

/Lying down?/

{Leg sores.}

/Getting old?/

{I slept on my leg!}

/You don't need to sleep in your demon form and since when did you ever sleep without a one leg dangling from a tree branch and the other propped up?/

{Loss of blood in the propped up leg.}

/You said leg sores!/

{I was mistaken.}

/My ass./

{I don't want it.}

Hiei glared at his comrade, he really really hated it when Youko started screwing around. He much preferred Suuichi's calm, cool and calculated personality more than the blasted fox whose thoughts mainly centered around sex, stealing, sex, food, sex and did I mention sex? Ergh foxes! It was too bad that one day Youko and Suuichi were going to merge into one personality one day instead of splitting in two.

/It's sad that one day you and the fox are going to merge./

[A pity really.]

/One day in the future I'll be stuck with a hormone driven maniac. I suppose you'll want to screw every female in sight - including the evil ones?/

{Hey! I'm not THAT desperate!}

[Says the one with sex primarily on mind.]

{What? Can I help it if foxes - silver foxes - are just naturally good in bed and are sensual creatures that many demons (and humans) envy for their very many unique skills?} The kitsune stated with heavy emphasis on 'many unique'.

/ . . . . . / Hiei raised an eyebrow then disappeared.

{ . . . .I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that . . . ]

*

Miroku walked down the halls looking for a specific girl by the name of Sango. He was on the top floor the only floor he hadn't looked around in for his raven-haired beauty. As he rounded a corner he heard the tinkling sound of his beloved's voice, with a grin he followed the sound to a room with an open shoji screen and entered quietly. Then he stopped frozen in his tracks when he saw her with . . . . . him. The monk quickly ducked behind a wooden pillar, of what appeared to be a training room, and eavesdropped shamelessly. (Well he does have no shame considering the fact he gropes women).

Sango sighed. "So that's why I'm stuck with Inu Yasha and co. How about you? What's it like being a lord?" She was sitting down crossed legged on the tatami mat facing a short man dressed in black.

" . . . . . "

"Not big on talking?"

" . . . . . "

The taijiya's eye twitched then she snapped, "You could at least answer that one question."

"Not hard."

"What?"

Hiei sighed inwardly. "You asked me what it was like governing a territory in Makai. I responded, 'Not hard.'"

"Oh." Was Sango's only reply.

"Why are you here?"

Sango rolled her eyes, "Because Inu Yasha dragged me and my companions here."

The jaganshi resisted the urge to throttle the woman as he calmly said, "I meant in this room." /A monk is eavesdropping./

"I'm hiding." The girl said with a sigh.

Hiei raised an elegant eyebrow. /Hhhmm . . . educated guess. She's hiding from a monk./

"From a monk by the name of Miroku."

/This is getting interesting. Finally something to entertain me. I better keep her talking . . . /

Meanwhile that monk's eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. Why was she hiding from him? He leaned in a bit closer to hear better.

"You see . . . I've been sorta avoiding him for a while now . . . "

/Hhhhmmm . . . from what I'm reading off of his head . . . the monk is a pervert . . . ./

"I kissed him a while back . . . . . but he's just a friend and a total pervert I don't even know why I did!" Her hands were fisted in her long green skirt.

/He's in love with the taijiya and here he is eavesdropping while she rants on about him. This is better than a human soap opera the fox's mother likes so much./

"I just don't know what to do with him. I . . . I guess I like him and all . . . but . . ."

/You're afraid he'll cheat on you because of his demoralized ways./

"But I'm afraid he'll betray me because of his demoralized ways - I know he's that type of person . . . . I'd just . . . .I'd just . . . . . I just know I can't be with him . . . . . I can't be with him . . . We're so different. . ."

/Ouch. If one were quiet enough one could almost listen as the monk's heart splinters into a thousand pieces. Aw. He's gone!/

Miroku snuck out without a sound and hurried down the halls without looking back. He needed to think. He needed some time. He needed quiet. He needed to meditate. The monk swallowed thickly before descending down the winding stairs of the palace.

"I guess I'm just scared of rejection. I know he doesn't love me . . . . . he could charm a worm out of the ground and up an oni's nose without a problem. He wouldn't want a scraggly girl like me. Even if do. . . I love him . . ."

/This is seriously cliché. The girl or guy always confesses her/his love for the other just after the other leaves the room after eavesdropping./

Sango sighed, she stood up looking at the black haired man with a smile, "Thanks for listening and not insulting me or anything." She said. The girl walked out of the room and slid the shoji screen shut before walking down the hall and away.

/ . . . . . Great now I feel guilty . . . . . damn conscience . . . . . /

*

Kagome sighed in relief when she looked around the forest and saw no fuzzy orange ball in sight. She felt a bit guilty about ditching her young kit but she had no choice the little guy was just driving her mad! The miko had sent the small child to fetch a glass of water from the kitchen for her after telling him that she was literally dying of thirst. She sighed once more as she walked down the forest path shrouded under the shade of leaves. She had just previously passed a meadow a ways down and she was just walking around aimlessly at the moment enjoying the peace and quiet of her surrounding area.

"Help."

The miko stopped in her tracks and looked to her right eyebrows furrowed as she listened hard. Did she just hear a plea for help?

"H . . . Help."

Kagome ran off into the woods, the voice was rough and hoarse almost too quiet to hear but she heard it and she was going to help whoever that was! She brushed aside branches slapping her face and ignored the rough thorned bushes that snagged at her clothing and scratched her skin. "HELLO! IS ANYONE THERE?!"

"H . . . H . . . Hel . . . p"

"Hang on! Keep talking!" The girl cried out, she made a sharp left. She didn't know why she was going in that particular direction but she could almost swear that she could feel the person's aura. "Hello! Hello!" She cried out again. This time she didn't get a response.

Suddenly she was in a clearing, she screeched to a halt and gasped at the scene unfolding before her eyes.