Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Never say: It can't get any worse ❯ Questions and . . . kitties? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Next fic to be updated will be 'That's just how things are'

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

~ Never say: It can't get any worse! ~

By: Amethyst/Defafaeth Mechqua

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø, ¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,&ced il;¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Youko silently peeked his head into the room through the open window around to make sure that no one was present at the moment. He slipped in and surveyed the area carefully memorizing where each possible exit was located. The fox thief crept in cautiously into the dwelling with a critical eye as he took in the meager décor of the chamber; it was large but sparsely decorated with anything worth taking as he might've expected of any other female. In the middle of the room he dropped down so that his legs were bent and the knees were facing upwards while his arms were in front of him (like how Inuyasha sits). He sniffed carefully for any sign of approaching people, granted that his sense of smell wasn't as great as an inu youkai's but it was efficient enough, around the room inhaling the soothing scent that was Atsume.

{This scent is . . . strange.}

[Well it does smell strangely like Herbal Essence.] Suuichi admitted.

{No! This scent. We've smelt it before . . .}

[Don't be stupid. This IS Atsume's room!]

{I don't mean it that way dip shit!} The kitsune growled. {What I mean is that this scent is something I've smelt in the past.}

[Quite frankly Youko I. Don't. Care. Now hurry up and steal whatever you wanted to steal.]

Youko perked up at those words; his ears twitched cutely while his tail swished energetically to and fro as he looked around the dwelling like a kit on his first hunt. {You're right! Now where does the dear girl keep her undergarments?} He pondered.

[. . . . . perverted old man . . . . ] Suuichi dryly accused his counter part of with a sigh..

{OLD!? I'll have you know you pompous ass that I am only eight hundred eighteen years old!}

[Pompous. Me?]

{Damn right you!} Youko snarled angrily. {So ha!}

A sigh. [Youko. You could be one of my really great ancestors twice over at your age.]

{Why you - }

[Oh just hurry up and steal her loin cloth or something!] Suuichi snapped in annoyance.

The silver kitsune was already looking around and rummaging through junk around the room when he spotted it. Both inhabitants of the same body blinked in unison when they're eyes landed upon the object that was a yellow backpack. Strange. Didn't those things not exist yet?

[Curious.] Suuichi murmured to himself as he stroked his non-existent beard.

{Indeed.} Youko replied imitating his counterpart's actions.

[Well. Go look.]

{Look where?} The kitsune asked innocently.

[Inside. The. Bag.] The human said rubbing his temple. He hated Youko.

{Rummage through another person's belongings!} Youko exclaimed in a mock-scandalized voice. Placing a hand over his demonic heart he admonished his other half. {Suuichi, you disappoint me. How could you even fathom doing such a horrendous deed! I for once am shocked by this uncivilized display of behaviour! I honestly think that - }

[Go through it or I get back the body.]

Saluting his constant companion with a cheery grin he approached the yellow bag located in a far corner. {You're coming along very nicely there Suuichi! Why in just a few years you'll even enjoy stealing for no apparent reason! And after we merge to form one being we'll-}

[Gods! Don't you ever just shut up!?]

{Can't! If I do we'd all die!} Youko barked happily crouching down next to the yellow pack with a wide grin. {Without the carbon dioxide I breathe out by constantly talking, plants would die from the lack of that vital gas because they need for photosynthesis to create oxygen, which we need in order to survive.}

[What are you babbling about? You're mouth isn't even open when you speak to me.]

{Opening bags is tougher than it looks so cease the chatter lest I become too drained because of your babbling to perform such a strenuous task.}

A snort then silence.

The kitsune shook his head then unzipped the bag. He blinked. Suuichi blinked. With a careful hand the fox demon lifted out the following items: A bottle of Herbal Essence shampoo, an MP3 player, Ramen, A Gameboy®, a math textbook, a calculator, a fake silver digital wristwatch, a portable stove, a box of matches, and other such wares from the future. The silence was thick as the two in one man stared at the items in utter disbelief. Such wares he had just lifted from the yellow pack only existed during his time, not in Sengoku Jidai. Then how was this possible? How was it that these very same wares were being totted around in this primitive era? By Atsume no less?

{Well . . . now we know why she smells like Herbal Essence.}

[Hardy har har.]

{Seriously though. How'd all this stuff get here to this era?}

For some reason . . . he felt that Atsume - no - Kagome would know.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Yusuke yawned as he walked down the forest trails. He was as bored as hell and he couldn't even find Kuwabara to fight with or nothing. Suddenly a small voice caught his attention.

"MAMA! MAMA!" A childish voice cried out frantically.

Rolling his eyes, the human walked through the thick leafy foliage toward the frenzied shouting. After a few minutes of getting slapped in the face by very strong and mean tree branches he emerged into the outer garden of the Western Palace to see a small fluff ball of orange zipping around at amazing speeds that would rival even Hiei's.

The orange thing stopped in the middle of the clearing and shouted out in a half mad voice. "MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!!" It fell down on its stomach and burst into tears. "You said you wouldn't leave me! Mama! Mama! Mama! You promised! MAAAAAAMAAAAAA!" It wailed in despair.

Yusuke rolled his eyes once more then approached the small kit with mild impatience, when he was more than a feet from the trembling form he recognized it not a she (that was his first impression when it burst into tears) but a he. He wasn't as irritated as most would think he would've been toward a crying child - but this case was different. The little guy was crying over his mother and he, Yusuke Urameshi, understood how that felt.

~ Flashback ~

"Mama! Mama!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Looking around frantically about the crowded carnival I ran. I didn't really notice as tears streamed down my face and I was all but running blind. "MAMA!" I bellowed once more.

Suddenly I bumped into something - hard. Rubbing my head with my small five-year-old hands I looked up to see a tall dark stranger hovering above me with passive bright eyes that glowed faintly against the black backdrop of the night sky. His hair was tied back into a low ponytail, his skin ethereal white with his muscular figure hidden by the black business suit he wore. I couldn't help but gape at the gigantic man who watched me with faint interest. "Lost?" He asked in faint amusement.

I kept my mouth shut.

"Come now. No need to be so closed mouthed." He chided lightly.

I shook my head and stood up glaring at him with a defiant look. "I'se nots supposeds to talks to stangews." I said frowning.

He nodded in understanding. "I see. That is smart, but I am no stranger. You and I know each other - though you do not remember."

"Huh?"

"In the future you shall meet me in the past."

"Huh?"

"Never mind lad." He said. Turning he beckoned me to follow him. "Come I shall lead you back to your dear mother."

I stood still as he walked a few paces then stopped. I couldn't trust him, but maybe he did know where mama was. He stood still as if waiting patiently for me to follow. I swallowed thickly then ran to catch up to him, when I reached his side he continued walking through the crowd without a problem. I didn't have a problem neither thanks to my rather small stature I could weave in and out of people's legs without a problem. Suddenly the pair of legs I had been following disappeared. I frantically raced ahead looking around then bumped into another pair of legs.

"Yusuke!" A feminine voice shouted desperately.

"Mama!?" I cried looking up. I bumped into mama!

Looking down mama was actually crying as she gazed down at me in surprise. "Yusuke!" She murmured as she swooped down and hugged me precariously in her arms. "Oh baby. I was so scared I lost you." She sniffed.

"Mama." I whimpered clinging onto my mother fiercely. "Don'ted you leaves mes agains!"

"Oh don't worry baby. I won't. I won't.

~ End Flashback ~

"Hey, kid." Yusuke called. When the little guy didn't respond he started prodding him with his foot. "Yo kid!"

"Wha!?" He sniffed. If there was anything more pathetic than pathetic then Yusuke, himself was looking at it.

"You need help looking fer your ma?" The older man asked nonchalantly.

Nodding the small child looked up sniffing, "Are you gonna help!?" He asked hopefully.

"Keh. Why do you think I offered? Now stop crying - you don't want your mom to see you acting all week."

Nodding the young kitsune wiped at his nose then stood up tall. "So what do we do!?"

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

"H . . he . . . help."

"AH! Kuwabara!" Kagome yelled out. She ran toward the man, who was suspended upside down in the air by a thick rope inside a dark pit. When she reached the pit she looked down at the man and cringed at the sight - cats. The pit was swarming with lots of stick thin cats that were clinging onto the orange haired man who was covered head to toe in fish products. It was pretty obvious to the raven-haired girl the cats had been eating the fishy items off the bound man.

"G . . ge . . get . . . the . . the . . the the them . . . off . . . off . . . m . . . mmme . . ." The suspended man whimpered.

Kagome covered her mouth, her eyes wide as she gazed stunned. "Oh my kami." She whispered. Swallowing hard in determination, the girl strode quickly over to the tree from which the man was dangling under. Kuwabara was bound with a coil of rope wound along his arms, which also wound around his legs and feet. The rope was thrown over a thick branch and tied around the trunk of a tree. She reached out but son withdrew her hand as sparks of black fire suddenly flared around the coil of rope that made Kuwabara scream in pain as the ebony flame consumed him then just as quickly the fire vanished as if it was never there.

"SORRY!" Kagome cried spinning toward the orange haired man who was sweat soaked. She noticed that the starving cats had fallen off but the fish parts were still intact stranger still was the fact that fresh new fish body parts popped up where there were none before. "A spell." She muttered holding her hand. She wasn't in the least bit harmed. The fallen cats climbed back up and started attacking Kazuma with even more vigour.

"Oh dear. Now what?!"

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Hiei suddenly swerved to the right towards the forest. Where he had hung Kuwabaka from a tree then mentally and psychologically - not so much as physically - tortured the ass. But something was really off. Shrugging he turned back toward the fight going between Sesshomaru's best general, Saki, and the Eastern Chinese Lord's general, Sui-Hung-Go. The match was boring do to the fact that Saki was obviously winning - which was surprising since he was blind. A group of spectators had also gathered to watch the event unfold with tightly reigned interest. Of course he had the best view - from the roof.

Then all of the sudden an intense heat surrounded his right arm then just as suddenly it was gone. Hiei scowled. Someone was attempting to set his victim free.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Souten glared up at Inuyasha from his tree resentfully. "How come, of all the people in the whole of the Meeting, do I have to be stuck with you!?" She grumbled for the umpteenth time.

Inuyasha snorted, "It ain't my fault that your brothers were too bloody weak to defend themselves."

The little girl growled heatedly, "They were NOT weak! You cheated!"

"Cheated!?" Inuyasha jumped down from his perch and crouched down so that he was eye level with the young girl, "Listen kid your good-for-nothing brothers had shikon shards in their foreheads to help them. They were two full-fledged demons with shikon shards against one hanyou, an untrained good-for-nothing miko and an equally good-for-nothing kitsune. How they lost still amazes me to this day."

"SHUT UP! Shippo is WAY better than you!!!"

Inuyasha blinked. This wasn't the response he had intended to get out of her. He repeated what he had said previously in his head then grinned slyly. "You like Shippo." He stated astutely.

She flushed a bight red then turned away. "I do not." She squeaked in protest but even it sounded weak in her ears.

Crossing his arms in smug satisfaction the halfling leaned back against the trunk of his tree. "Suuuure."

"Oh all right! I do!" She confessed turning back to face him. "Pleeeeeaaaaaase don't tell!" She begged falling to her knees.

Inuyasha merely smirked. "And what do I get out of it?"

"My undying loyalty so long as I live?"

"I already have that from Kagome."

"Half of my lands?"

"Seeing as I'm being forced to be your guardian until you come of age because I slayed your brothers. Don't need it."

"It's slew not slayed. That's not even a word!" Souten exclaimed.

Inuyasha scowled glaring coldly at the girl. "Do you really want me to tell Shippo?"

"NO!"

"So? What will you give me?"

"My castle?"

"No."

"My father's prized sword?"

"No." 'I already have one.' Inuyasha thought sourly.

"A sack of gold?"

"No."

"Priceless artifacts from the continent?"

"No."

"Shikon shard?"

"N - what?" He exclaimed in surprise. Jumping up he looked at her with close scrutiny. "You have a shikon shard?!"

Souten nodded demurely. "Yeah I found them on the ground."

"Them? More than one?" He questioned in disbelief.

She nodded. "Five actually."

The hanyou looked at her with narrowed eyes. "Then how come Kagome hasn't sensed them yet?"

"Oh. Koryu has 'em in his front pouch. His dragon skin dulls the feeling the shikon shards sends out because of his skin."

Inuyasha nodded. He stroked his non-existent beard with a small grin, peering down at the girl he asked in thoughtful tone, "I won't tell Shippo if you give me the shards AND you let me skin your dragon."

"It's a deal!"

They shook hands.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸&ced il;,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

I bet you can't guess who that man in Yusuke's flashback was. And you only get ONE guess.

I'm sorry. @_@ The story just jumps from bit to bit, I know! It doesn't flow! >_< Pah. It can't be helped. You're also probably wondering about Inuyasha. I know he isn't usually that astute when it comes to a person's feelings but if Sesshomaru is OOC in this fic then so will Inuyasha. @_@

=^~_~^=