Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ Requiem ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Requiem
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories/ Flashbacks
 
 
 
The past has always been one to come back with a vengeance. It patiently wallows in the shadows waiting for the perfect time to strike. It watches and eagerly sways to the beat of life. It patiently waits, watching and timing. The past doesn't always come back to haunt in the darkest hour. It sometimes rises up and strikes in the moment of light, trying to bring you down. Dark and hazy it sits still waiting to strike. When the past comes back, it comes backs with a thirst for vengeance. Looking up to the sky, the woman could tell the past was gaining on her.
 
She looked away from the sky and continued to walk to life's beat or what had now become her requiem. Glancing into the shadows, she saw the alley with it darkened trashcans. Looking away, she began to walk faster; her small heels set an even click clap sound. She could feel the past upon her like a thirsty man coming upon a small oasis in the desert. Kicking off her heels she clutched her small knack sap to her side and began to run.
 
She ran for what seemed like hours. Her breathing became shallow and her own heavy gasps for air became echoes in her ears. Her only salvation was ahead of her, the Torii. That was the gateway to her shrine, to the well house. She reached the step and jumped onto to it. She breathed a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from her forehead. She heard a crash and felt the energy rise as the barrier stopped an intruder. She looked over and saw the one thing she never wanted to see again.
 
It stood there, knowing the barrier wouldn't weaken. Its gaze never broke with hers as it sat down. Taking a step back, she fell to her rear and sat there in shock. The thing never let its golden gaze break with hers. Her blue-gray eyes gazed deeply into the cold, unemotional gold. The sliver fur glistened in the moonlight, leaving an eerie glow surround the creature. It five tails were the true signs that this was not a normal animal. Its five tails gently twitched in waiting.
 
She studied the creature more closely and took note of the necklace that it bore. The Tanzanite teardrop glowed as she felt her soul pulling towards it. Standing up she ran up a few more steps. Looking back, she saw the fox stand to its full height. Its shoulder blades would come to her lower thigh. She smiled in sorrow and slight fear as the necklace glowed a little more brightly. The necklace contained a small part of her. It was a promise that she didn't want to keep.
 
Reaching her hand out in a sad trance, she unconsciously called to the fox. Her eyes hardened and she pulled her hand back as if burned. Her eyes took on a sharp and the pupils returned to her normal fox eyes. The blue became more prominent as the pupils narrowed.
 
Blood. The claw marks ran deep in the material. Reaching up to the branch, she pulled the fur of the fire rat down. She could smell his blood…and the others scent.
 
Her upper lip curled back as she felt it. The ki around her began to change and she shook her head. Looking one last time at the silver fox she saw a bit of excitement within the golden depths. She gave the fox the finger and watched as its gaze darkened. Turning around she walked up the shrine steps. When she reached the top of the stairs, she walked over to the Goshinboku and rested her forehead against its bark. With a deep sigh, she let a tear fall from her right eye.
 
`I can't keep running and hiding,' she thought. She heard a light chuckle and looked up in the branches. Red eyes gazed down at her with a hint of amusement.
 
“Running is for cowards,” the owner stated with a hint of amusement.
 
“I don't want your taunting,” she spat at him as he hers went back to normal.
 
“I only worry for your health mother,” the red eyes said. She sat at the base of the tree and banged her head against the bark once. Closing her eyes, she listened to a slight rustle and light landing. Opening her eyes again, she let her head roll to the side where her son stood. His black cloak effectively hid his body. He sat next to her and leaned his head on her shoulder. She reached up and ran a hand through his gravity defying black spikes.
 
“What am I to do Hiei?” She whispered.
 
“I would kill him…but I owe him a life for a life,” Hiei whispered.
 
“You always repay people what you owe them,” she whispered as she wrapped her arm around his shoulder. She slightly shivered from the cold breeze. He raised the temperature to a comfortable level.
 
“Death breaks the promise,” Hiei whispered.
 
“Betrayal,” she whispered.
 
“And lies,” Hiei agreed.
 
“He lied and betrayed me,” she whispered.
 
“He died,” Hiei tried to offer.
 
“I promised that death would not break my promise,” she regretfully said.
 
“His betrayal speaks for him,” Hiei growled.
 
“He claims he was framed,” she whispered.
 
“Claims are nothing to the truths,” Hiei stated as he returned to his normal demeanor.
 
“If I was the same as before, I would believe him…but I am no longer a naïve little girl,” she firmly said as here soul pulled again. She looked over to her left; he was down there in the mist and shadows.
 
“I will stand by your choices. I will not fight against you Kagome,” Hiei assured. Kagome smiled, he only used her name when he was seriously promising something to her. It was there code.
 
“I will be free of him…my heart is tired of pain and betrayal,” she whispered as she continued to gaze to her left. Hiei stood and helped her to her feet before she embraced. She was the only one that could embrace him.
 
“He will not know I know you,” Hiei said.
 
“Good,” Kagome whispered before he disappeared into the darkness.
 
Turning her gaze to the moon, she noted that it was almost full. Pushing herself up she walked into her shrine.
 
 
 
Author's Note:
 
This was just something that popped into my head. Every now and then, I get into my dark moods where I dwell on things.
 
This was something I felt like writing, I don't know if it's that good or if it should be continued. Please review.