Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Blue Eyed Beauty ❯ Scent ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Scent
 
`I told you!' Youko cheered. `Do you hear that? Well, do you, Red? That's the sound of sweet, sweet victory.'
 
Kurama, though silently amused with Youko's sudden happiness, was more concerned with the sudden rise in energy that Hiei released. It spoke of anger and frustration, and Kurama was worried that he might have created a rift between his friend and his mate.
 
`What are you whining about now?!' Youko huffed. `This is wonderful!'
 
Yes. Truly and utterly wonderful.
 
`Don't mock me, Re—!' Youko stopped, as the last door down the hall opened. Then, he grinned madly, and shouted, `Ha! What did I tell you? What did I tell you? Hiei, that little fire-controlling bastard, dominate! I don't think so!'
 
And, indeed, there Hiei's small mate stood once more. Alone.
 
Kagome frowned a little more, glancing back into the room. “Hiei, you can't keep me locked up,” she said softly. “I know that… bad things have happened, but you can't—Hiei, look at me.”
 
Hiei released another dose of energy, and the door shut.
 
Frowning deeply, Kurama realized that he had created a rift between Hiei and his mate. Enough so that the hybrid pushed her out, most likely, and would probably refuse to speak with her until she apologized in the way he wanted her to. Or, at least, surrendered to the rules that his instinct demanded she live by.
 
Youko snorted, saying, `That's never gonna happen.'
 
Love, though, could make people do the strangest things.
 
`Ha! That little bastard wouldn't know what love was if it bit him in the ass!'
 
Neither, Kurama knew, would Youko.
 
`W-what?!' Youko cried, outraged. `I know perfectly well what love is, you snot-nosed brat!'
 
Kurama ignored the rest of Youko's rant, as Kagome finally slid away from the doorway she stood in with a sigh. She moved in his direction slowly, yet with her head held high, as if she expected her mate to come bounding out of the room he occupied with an apology of his own. And, clearly, she did not know Hiei well enough to know that that would never happen.
 
His nose twitched quite suddenly, as she neared, and Kurama took a step backward when an odd scent drifted up and caressed his senses.
 
Youko huffed, as he said, `I'm almost surprised. I didn't think the pipsqueak was smart enough to use that method.'
 
Instinct moved him. Kurama found it difficult to remain near the woman, while she asked if she could use the television. He nodded, of course, but once she had finally seated herself and grabbed the remote, he moved swiftly into the kitchen in an attempt to remove himself from the infuriating scent that refused to leave him alone.
 
What had changed? Had her strange power finally decided it had had enough of him now that her mate was angry with her? Had—?
 
`Don't act so dumb, Red,' Youko growled. `Hiei wrapped her in his cloak. It's covered in his scent, whether she knows it or not, and your sense of smell has picked up the pheromone he left behind to protect her. Its nothing more than that.'
 
Kurama smiled a bit. Was it him, or did Youko sound a bit jealous?
 
`I am not jealous!'