Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Through ❯ The Past and Stranger ( Chapter 47 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 48: The Past and Stranger
 
“Kurama?”
Kurama snapped out of his daze and looked towards Ryou. Ryou was sitting up on the bed, well, trying to, anyways. Ryou was looking at Kurama in wonder. What was he holding? It looked funny and glossy. Kurama walked up to Ryou and gently laid him back down with a smile.
“W-what's that, Kurama?”
“Shh. Just something to help you get well again. Now…I'm going to have to ask you to drink it, okay?”
Ryou bit his lip and looked down at his blankets. He wasn't very sure if he wanted to. He had no idea what it was or what was in it. He would have to trust Kurama. Ryou tightly squeezed his blankets with fisted hand and looked up to Kurama. He would do it, Kurama had not led him astray this far, and he wouldn't do it now.
“O-okay, Kurama,” said a disheartened Ryou.
“That's good. It's only to help you, Ryou. Now let me help you sit up so you can take it,”
Kurama carefully place a hand under Ryou's back and lifted him up. Then he put an arm around him to hold him up.
“Now…can you open up for me?”
Ryou gave a slight nod and opened up his mouth a bit. Kurama took the top off the vile and poured a bit into Ryou's mouth, then some more and some more, `till there was no more. After Ryou had drunken it all Kurama put the empty vile down on the nightstand and lowered Ryou back into bed slowly. Once Ryou was laying down he grabbed his stomach and groaned. The medicine was getting to him and it made him feel ever more unwell. Kurama soon noticed this.
“Karasu did say it might be a bit harsh on him,” thought Kurama with a bit of guilt.
“There, there, Ryou. It won't hurt that much longer,” said Kurama out loud while starting to rub Ryou stomach tenderly for him.
This soon lured Ryou into sleep. Once he was asleep Kurama got up from the bed and looked at Ryou. He tucked him in warmly and said goodnight before leaving the room. He had to go think to himself for a while.
Once Kurama was out of the room and the lights were turned off and the door was closed, the window oddly started to shake. This woke Ryou up. Ryou looked around in the darkness and tried to sit up. Then he saw the window start to edge open. Ryou let out a small gasp and quickly laid back down and pulled the blankets up to his nose and closed his tightly.
“It's just the wind, it's just the wind, it's just the wind,” Ryou mentally scolded himself.
Soon the window stopped inching open; then it slid open all the way, letting a bitter gust into the room. Ryou gulped and slowly opened his eyes. He had just enough time to see a tall shady figure come through the window before he tightly closed his eyes again. He wished that Kurama were here, he wanted it to go away.
Ryou heard footsteps going from the window to his bed. Then, to his horror, he felt someone sit down on the bed next to him. He felt someone play with his hair and start brushing it out of his face. Ryou tried to contain and a tremble, but could not. He let out a quiet cry and tried to get deeper under his blankets.
“Oh? So you are awake? How lovely, why don't you open your eyes for me?”
Ryou shook his head and stifled a sob. He wanted Kurama, or at least his Yami. Where was his Yami?! He was supposed to be here, and where was Kurama? Then horror stuck Ryou, maybe Kurama left? And now he was alone with this person?! Alone. No, no, that can't be!
“Oh come now. It won't hurt,” said the man while softly brushing Ryou's cheek with his hand.
“I-I don't want to…p-please go away,”
“Now, that's not very nice, Ryou,”
Suddenly Ryou's eyes snapped open. How did he know his name? Who was this man? Ryou looked up to the man sitting on his bed with tearful eyes. The man had about shoulder length hair and Ryou could tell that he was grinning. But he could see no more of him because it was too dark.
“H-how do you k-know my name? W-who are you?”
“I've known your name since you came to this dimension, and for `who' I am, you'll have to wait and see,”
After he said that silence filled the room. Ryou didn't like it. Shadows in the room started to move it seemed and the air got thicker. Ryou looked up to him again, almost pleading for him to say something, and he did.
“Your eyes…they're just like what I had imagined. Dazzling and gorgeous in every way, just like you Ryou,”
“What is it you want?” Said Ryou, trying to gain his courage.
“Oh, what I want? You'll find that out in good time as well,”
“But I-I-,”
“Shush. It's bedtime. You're sick and I want you well, just as much as Youko does,”
“Wait…Y-Youko? W-who's that?”
“You know who he is,” said the man with a chuckle.
“No…no I don't. P-please…please tell me,”
“Kurama. Youko is Kurama. The person you're staying with is Youko Kurama. Haven't you ever heard of the legendary thief who could slaughter demons and people alike without a second thought? Come now, don't tell me he's never told you,”
“What?! Y-you're lying! K-Kurama would never do anything like that!” Yelled Ryou.
The man chuckled and got up from the bed. He started walked towards the window and climbed halfway out to leave, but before he did, he looked at Ryou again. Ryou was now sitting up on the bed completely with tears streaming down his face.
“Ask him for yourself, Ryou. Just ask him. And a good night to you, my Ryou”
With that said, the man left through the window. Ryou sat there just staring blankly at nothing. But he didn't stare long; Kurama barged into the room and looked at Ryou. Kurama ran up to the bed and looked at Ryou. Ryou didn't even notice him, he was still in deep thought of what he had just heard.
“Ryou?” Asked Kurama with concern while shaking Ryou's shoulder.
Ryou looked up to him with wide eyes. “Youko?”
Kurama was completely taken off guard at this. He was expecting Ryou to have had a nightmare, where did he hear this? Who could have told him that?! He wasn't supposed to know yet!
“W-what did you call me, Ryou?”
“Youko…Youko Kurama?”
“Ryou…where did you hear that? Who told you that?”
“I-it's true? No…it can't be,” Ryou cried while hugging his knees close to him and crying into them.
Suddenly Kurama was taken by guilt. He knew that he should have told Ryou by now. He had been putting it off and hoping it would just go away, but the past doesn't work like that. Kurama sat down on the bed and put an arm around Ryou and pulled him closer to him. Ryou cried into Kurama shirt. Kurama every now and then would give him a few words of reassurement to make him settle down a bit, and he soon stopped. Now he had to tell Ryou, whether he wanted to or not.
“Ryou…I need to tell you something, but I'm not sure how you'll take it,” said Kurama.
“Okay…” said Ryou in a low voice while wiping away a few of his tears.
“Listen…it's true. I'm Youko. And I know that you are not familiar with that name, but you were at one time. And I won't lie, I was quite cruel when I was Youko, but I've changed, Ryou. I'm different now. Please understand. I'm sorry I waited so long to tell you, but I just didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want to have to hurt you. I…I care for you, Ryou,” said Kurama.
“I…I care for you too, Kurama. And I don't care if you were like that before, I just care about now,” Said Ryou while looking up into Kurama eyes.
“Thank you, Ryou. That really means a lot to me. And I need to tell you one more thing. I'm not sure how you will understand it. Ryou, At one time you were a kitsune as well,”
“Kitsune?”
“A kitsune is a fox-demon. Remember I told you that that is what I am? Yes, you were one as well,”
“What? But…but how? I just came here. I've never been here in my life,”
“Not in this lifetime, anyways,” chuckled Kurama.
“But how do you know that I'm the person you're talking about? You don't even know me that well,”
“Because Ryou. I could never forget you, how you acted, and your smile. I couldn't forget anything. And besides, you almost still look that same,” said Kurama with a smile.
“Oh…I see. But I-I don't understand…but I'll try to,” said Ryou with a thoughtful look.
“It will all make sense soon enough…but for now, you have to go to bed. You're still very sick and in need of rest,” said Kurama while laying Ryou back down.
Kurama tucked Ryou in warmly and sat next to him until he fell asleep. This was a rather large step he had just made; there was no going back now. Kurama got up, but then stopped. The window was opened. He had closed that window and he didn't remember opening it. And Ryou was far too weak to even get out of bed. And how had Ryou even heard the name Youko? Someone must have told him…but whom? Kurama walked over to the window and looked out before closing in securely and locking it shut. He decided he was going to sleep in that room. He wasn't going to take a chance of something or someone getting in. There was no telling what would happen next. And he needed to tell the guys about this, perhaps it could help with the new threat?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the reviews! ^_^ And sorry about the chapters being numbered wrong! I've never really fixed it before, I might though, haha. Oh yeah, and try to guess who the stranger who visited Ryou is. I'll give you a clue: He has a…er…pet shadow!
(I wrote this chapter while listening to “Don't Cry” by Guns n' Roses. Good band, haha.)