Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Fox's Kiss: Love From Afar ❯ Dreaming of You ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3: Dreaming of You

If only there would come a day
When I could feel his gentle touch
We'd be together where the roses lay
My heart aches for him so much
***

Hiei, Yuusuke, Kuwabara, Botan and KoEnma are sitting in a small conference room in the Spirit World where no one can bother them. Botan appears a bit fidgety and Kuwabara glances around at everyone with a confused look in his eyes.

"Um, guys?" he says, breaking the awkward silence. "I know that there has got to be something really serious going on or else I wouldn't have been invited to come here, so would you mind sharing what's been going on?"

"The baka Ningen is right for once," Hiei remarks. "Not that I enjoy agreeing with him, but, honestly. What is this all about?"

"Who you calling a baka, you shrimp?!" the tall human yells, standing violently up out of his chair.

"Enough," KoEnma demands, "perhaps if you two would stop fighting we could figure out why we are all here."

Yuusuke's head shot up and he rubbed his eyes. (A/N: He was sleeping...) "What do you mean?" he inquirers. "You were the one to call this meeting...weren't you, KoEnma?"

"Actually no," the teenage-form of the Spirit World leader sighs. "In fact, all I was asked to do about it was to obtain a place where no one would be able to bother us."

Botan looks around the table cautiously and asks, "Well, if it wasn't you, sir, who called this meeting, and none of you have any idea what is going on, and I didn't call this, then the only other person who could have called it would be..."

"...would be me."

Botan gets cut off and all heads turn to a door that has just been opened by Kurama. He locks the door and moves to the front of the room. Under one arm he holds a school yearbook and, under the other, a small file-folder filled with loose papers. He sets them both down on the table and takes the remaining seat.

"Thank you all for coming," he says. "I know it was on short notice, but it is a very important subject. You see, we have a problem. A very big problem."

He pauses here and opens the yearbook to a marked page. He turns it around for them all to see a page covered with student's heads, one of which is circled.

"Who is that?" Yuusuke asks. "A former flame? An admirer? An ex? A girlfriend? A toy?"

"Nobara Shigo," reads Botan aloud, ignoring Yuusuke's remark. "A peculiar name. Unless I stand corrected, it means 'rose after death.' "

"Strange indeed," KoEnma nods.

"Different," Yuusuke says.

"She's kind of cute," comments Kuwabara.

"Hn," glares Hiei. "What is so special about this Ningen?"

"Do you remember our argument earlier today, Hiei?" Kurama asks. "About...well, you know." (A/N: NO! Do NOT think about THAT kind of argument! I don't need people reviewing this asking where and when and why Kurama and Hiei had an argument on where their relationship is going. Geez, that last sentenced sounded like they had one in this story...O_o)

"Hn."

"Well, as soon as you left, I caught this girl outside the door of the science room." He points to the girl's picture again and proceeds to fill in the rest of the room with the events from when he found the girl to the present.

"Weird," mutter Kuwabara and Yuusuke together.

Hiei glares at the table and Botan fidgets some more.

"Hold up," KoEnma says. "Rose after death...Nobara Shigo...that name sounds familiar."

"It should," Kurama agrees. He opens the file and pulls out several papers full of hand written symbols. "Despite what Hiei might think, not all human were stupid. These documents are from a lost Egyptian culture that few, if any, humans have ever heard of. They were a group of Egyptian women who did not believe in the male race. They kept their believes alive by kidnapping young female children from their families and those who wandered the streets. They were much like the Amazons of Greece, except this group did not believe in violence."

Yuusuke snorted. "I knew the female race was corrupt."

SMACK! A large lump forms on Yuusuke's head and Botan settles back into her chair, oar in hand. "Please continue Kurama."

"Uh," Kurama eyes Yuusuke twitching on the ground, "thank you, Botan. As I was saying, based on these facts, it is apparent that this group did not last too long. However, they did last long enough to gain one girl whom turned out to be a seer."

"What's a seer?" Kuwabara asks.

"Dimwit," mutters Hiei, a la Genkai.

"A seer," KoEnma cuts in, "is someone who predicts the future. Like Nostradamus who predicted World War 2..."

"...or that creepy old guy from Firestarter: Rekindled," moans Yuusuke. He rubs his head and clambers back up onto his seat.

"Oh!" Kuwabara exclaims. "That guy was weird. Do you remember the part when he tries to leave Charlie McGee or whatever her name was at the..."

"Thank you for your Stephen Kind expertise," Hiei says sarcastically, "but I suggest that we keep listening to Kurama's story."

"Again, thank you," Kurama nods. "Now, this seer brought about the aspect of reincarnation to the group. She said that when they all died they would be reborn into a different form, whether it was two years or a thousand years later. No matter what form, the new appearance or personality of the new creature would attain some similar characteristics to the original being. This was the first recorded idea about reincarnation."

Kuwabara scratches his head and furrows his eyebrows. "I still don't get it."

Hiei rolls his eyes. "Stupid. Think about it!"

"Rose after death," Botan murmurs.

"So basically what you're saying," Yuusuke says, "is that this girl is going to die and become a rose? So what?"

"I don't know if that is what is to come," Kurama says, shaking his head. "But I can tell you that this seer's name was, indeed, none other than Nobara Shigo."

All eyes in the room widen and nothing is heard but silence.

"She said that, despite all of the beliefs against men with women, there would come a day when one of them would break their bonds and fall in love with a deceiving man. She does not say what happens with the two specifically, except that it all works out in some way. This seer," Kurama continues, standing up and walking around the room," also predicted that there would come a time when a silver fox in disguise would seek the truth. For what, I do not know, but it is written that it would never be perceived. She said that she had a dream, a vision, rather, of a silver silhouetted figure of a body...splattered in blood."
It is at exactly this moment that I shot awake in my bed, cold sweat running down my face. The small clock on the wall reads 3:49 AM and I can hear my father's snores from downstairs.

I put my hands to my face only to pull them away again.

In my hand lies a blood red rose.