Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Fox's Kiss: Love From Afar ❯ Deathbead ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Fox's Kiss: Love From Afar
Chapter 4: Deathbed

But never will it come to pass
This dream within my mind
I love him so, but oh! Alas!
God would never be that kind
***

I sit at my desk and stare at the clock. Only five more minutes before school ends for the day. My head rolls back to face the blackboard. Well, not really. I am actually staring straight at the back of Kurama's head. His hair falls over his shoulders regally, like silk shining in the sun.

The president of his fan club (you know, the one that sits next to him?) tries to pass a few notes to him, but he pushes them away. I hear a cheerleader inside me yelling with glory. If anything to be happy about, at least I have a better chance of getting together with him than she does. Oh! I feel by face turn a slight pink at these thoughts. (A/N: Go figure...)

Three more minutes.

The teacher drones on about the bombing at Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War 2. Normally I would be switching my attention constantly from the professor's talk to my thoughts about Kurama. But, not today. Today it is all about Kurama.

Two more minutes.

I gasp silently. There is something wrong. It feels like someone put a hook around my gut and pulled...hard. It is the same feeling that I had had yesterday morning. Except, this one was so much stronger. Whatever danger I had thought would happen yesterday, would certainly happen today. I only wonder what it was.

One more minute.

The pain in my stomach makes me wince with pain. I wonder if I should tell Kurama about it? I told him about my feeling yesterday and he was mildly interested. Should I tell him about this one? Would he take it more seriously? Or would he just dismiss it again?

BING! BING! BING! (A/N: Make fun of my bell, and I kill you!)

The classroom emptied very quickly. I was able to get a moment alone with him. Of course, it was (as always) not the kind of moment that I so long for, but it was with him all the same.
I walked up to him when everyone else had cleared. I had mentally decided that I would tell him about this feeling. He, of all people, deserves to know. As I was pulling out my notepad, he grabbed my arm. I looked up at him, waiting for him to tell me something. Strangely enough, all he did was hand me a folded piece of paper and told me not to open it until I was alone. This worries me.

But that was over fifteen minutes ago. Now I stand by a metal bench on the outskirts of a deserted park. I told father, rather, I left a note for him, that I wouldn't be home until late and that dinner was in the refrigerator. Not that I think it will help. He will most likely hit me again when I return.

My hand brushes my cheek where the bruise lies. I wore my hair down today so that I could cover it up. No one asked why the sudden change in style, but, then again, why would they? That would be unnatural. No one cares anymore about me than they did before that day when I found Kurama in the science room. It does not even vaguely surprise me that his Shuiichi-form at school will only talk to me when no one else is around. It's not because he doesn't want everyone knowing, he says, but because he doesn't want everyone getting suspicious. Not that they could. They have no idea about who he really is. But it still hurts.

I place my hand lightly over my breast. The pain has subsided slightly, but it still aches with loneliness. For, even though we now have to work together professionally, I still lust for his soft touch and passionate kiss.

I sit on the bench and brush away these longings. I've gotten very good at that, but they always return. I open my rucksack and submerge my hand into it. Between my First-Aid Kit and my Calculus book, I find the note. I was told to open it alone, and now I definitely am: physically and mentally.

I smooth the crinkled edges on my lap and look over the words. I can tell that my eyes are widening and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. I stare aghast at the words. My hand subconsciously rushes to my mouth and I can feel hot tears burn in my eyes. I go back and read it again:

"Dear Nobara,

I regret to inform you that I, Kurama, shall be leaving Ningenkai to return to the Makai. My decision is final. I know that I only met you yesterday, but I still believe that it is only right to tell you as you asked for my help. I have given Botan and KoEnma a brief summary on the topic of what you wanted from me; they will most certainly help you. My apologies for not being able to give you some steps towards finding your answers, but there are affairs in the Makai that concern me deeply and I really must go. I plan to leave today, so when I give you this note it will be the last time that we shall meet. I might already be gone by the time you read this. Good luck with your search.

From,
Kurama"

I couldn't believe it. It couldn't be true. It couldn't! He cannot leave before I tell him my feelings! The note fell from my lap and onto the concrete. My heart felt heavy and my gut felt worse than it did earlier. I drop my rucksack beside the note and bury my head in my hands.

Why was my life so miserable? I often wonder if it had anything to do with my mother. She told me a lot of stories when I was little. My favorite was one about an Egyptian group of women. There was this seer who shared the same name as my mother. Nobara Shigo. She named me after her, obviously. Well, sort of. I have a middle name, but I tell it to no one. I'm always afraid people will laugh at me.

It's Kei. Nobara Kei Shigo. That is my full name.

*NOBARA*

I raise my head and look about. My cheeks are stained with tears, and my eyes are red. But, I swear that I heard someone call my name. Am I cracking up? (A/N: That is kind of ironic that I just typed that; I'm listening to Basket Case by Green Day!) I wait a few more seconds to see if I hear the voice again, but nothing comes to me. I gather up my things and slowly walk away from the bench, still sobbing. I left the note in the small puddle underneath the bench.

*NOBARA*

I stop, turn and cock my head at a weird angle. There it was again! I know I heard it. And it sounds so familiar. It almost sounds like...

No. It couldn't be. Mother?

*NOBARA*

That is it! I drop my bag and run toward the voice. It is coming from the forest on the other side of the playground. This strange new idea that my mother might actually be calling my name pushes the whole thought of Kurama from my head. I love him, I truly do, but my mother is dead.

Why on earth do I hear her voice?

Suddenly I halt. I am on the woodchips by the swing set. The feeling in my gut just ripped. And I don't mean it stopped; it feels like the flesh on my belly has been torn open and my insides have been spilled out onto the ground. I hunch over and clutch my stomach. In a way it hurts so much, but in another it seems like a warning. Just like it's a warm tingling trying to bring me to my senses. I fall to my knees and put my head on the ground.

*NOBARA*

I lift my head and there she is. My eyes widen and the pain in my stomach instantly vanishes. I stand and stare and the smoky image of the young woman (about 27) that is my mother. She looks exactly the same as she did the day that she died. Her brown hair is down and hangs long over her shoulders. A faded pink, ankle-length dress flows around her body and she looks just like an angel...of course, the fact that she has pale white wings sticking out of her back help that fact.

"Mo...Mother?" I stutter. Then I gasp. I could talk! I put my hand to my mouth and insert my index finger. My tongue...is there!

My mother smiled at me and then turned. When I reach out a hand to stop her, she turns and beckons me to follow. So I do.

She is fast, though. I am nearly running just to keep up. Of course, as we near the forest, I see why speed is necessary.

An eerie light comes out from the middle of the forest and goes straight up to the sky. I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but I certainly do now!

"What...what is it?" I ask. I have to sound out the words carefully. I haven't been able to talk in seven years (A/N: She was nine when her tongue was "removed" by her father.) and I find it a little difficult to remember how.

My mother faces me and puts a hand on my cheek. It is icy cold and it doesn't feel real. She leans over and kisses my forehead. I can feel the tears start to fall again. Suddenly, she rises into the air and starts to fade into nowhere.

"Mother!" I call. "Don't leave me! I..." I pause, looking for the right words. "I need you."

She points a slim finger toward the center of the forest where the light is coming from. Then...she disappears.

I understand. She wants me to go there, to that light. And so I will go.

///////////////////////////////////////// IN THE WOODS.... /////////////////////////////////////////

Yuusuke, Kuwabara, Kurama and Hiei stand in a circle around the two demons that were glowing bright blue. Their energy is very high; dangerously high. None of them knew where they got the energy, and they didn't care. What they did care about was defeating it.

Kurama shifted his weight to his right foot. Why did these demons need to fight now? They were ruining everything! The four of them had been waiting in the woods for Nobara Shigo, the girl who somehow knew all about them.

The first part of their plan had worked out beautifully. Kurama had given her the note saying that he was going to be leaving for the Makai that day. Hiei reported about ten minutes earlier that she had taken the bait and was crying her heart out. Kurama was a little worried about this. He had only known her for a little more than a day and he was already starting to worry for and about her. He almost liked her.

What they HAD HOPED would happen, was that she would go someplace where she might meet someone who had told her about them. (A/N: None of them believed that Nobara just knew about them.) They would approach them and get the answers that they wanted.

But it was all fouled when these two demons showed up. They would have sent Hiei to follow Nobara, but they were so strong that it would take all of them to beat the two. They had been fighting for seven minutes. (The demons had showed up right after Hiei had reported back to Yuusuke, Kuwabara and Kurama.)

It was indeed a tough battle. Yuusuke had a limp leg and he struggled to stand. Kuwabara (who is only human) tired quickly and he got hit with an energy blast in the ribs. Hiei had gotten some of his power drained from him by one of the monsters and Kurama was cut across the stomach. (A/N: Is it just me, or does it seem that that is the first place that Kurama is cut EVERY fight?)

"And so the Reiki Tankai are to be defeated," said the taller of the two opponents. "How long we have waited for this day!"

The second demon nodded. "Too true, brother. But what a disappointment! I was expecting more from the most feared team in the demon world."

They smiled and then lunged at Yuusuke and Hiei.

//////////////////// 3/4 OF THE WAY INTO THE FOREST /////////////////////////////

I run through the woods with all of my speed. I am almost there; I know it! I have to see what this light is and whom the energy that I am feeling is coming from. I must know these things and so much more.

And yet, that feeling in my gut has returned. Not to strong, but it is there. It's almost as if it is toying with me. Like it is waiting for something.

But what does it mean?

//////////////////////////// BACK TO THE FIGHT /////////////////////////////////////

Yuusuke and Hiei try to dodge the blows, but they don't get out quickly enough. A club that the second monster carries crushes Yuusuke's bad leg and Hiei is hit in the back of the head with an energy blast. Kuwabara takes the moment in which the two villains laugh with glee to get out his Spirit Sword.

"Spirit Sword!" he yells. He strikes one of the demons in the back, but with no effect. It bounces off of the monsters back and he turns. The beast whips around his arm and nails the Ningen in the gut. Kuwabara flies back and hits a tree. (A/N: OW!)

"Oh that's it!" says Yuusuke. He raises his hand and gets ready to fire his Spirit Gun on the demon that hit his friend, not seeing the second demon sneak up behind him. But Kurama does.

"Rose Whip!" he hollers, throwing himself towards the sneaking creature.

"Hah!" yells the demon. He grabs the whip with his hand and pulls hard. Kurama flies forward (unable to catch his balance) and lands on his back.

"Ah!" he cries. (A/N: Well, not tearing cries, but you know what I mean.) As he struggles to rise, and eventually does. He sees Kuwabara almost unable to move (yet still able to see) blinking against the tree he was thrown against. Hiei and Yuusuke are trying to attack the demons, but with little success. /They're too powerful,/ Kurama thought to himself. /I don't know how we're going to beat them.../

His thoughts are cut off when one of the demons fires a fatal energy ball (A/N: Kind of like Goku's Kamehameha! Or however you want to spell that...) straight at him!

///////////////////// BACK TO WHATEVER NOBARA IS DOING ///////////////////////

I see the entrance to the clearing, and the origin of the light. It is coming from two demons that are attacking...someone, I can't see whom.

But, as I near the clearing, I can. Hiei and Yuusuke are recklessly fighting them and Kuwabara is down by a tree, barely able to keep his head up. Then I see him. He's struggling to stand up and I can see the blood that is staining his clothes.


I can also see the ball of light that is heading straight for him.

So I run...

//////////////////////////// SAME PLACE, DIFFERENT P.O.V. /////////////////////////////

As Kurama watches his end draw nearer, he sees movement flicker out of the corner of his eye. He turns his head toward it and spies none other than Nobara Shigo rushing into the clearing.

He understands what is happening.

"Nobara," he yells, "no!"

But he is too late. His jaw drops and he catches his breath as he sees a head with a brown braid in front of his face. He gasps as a girl in a sweater and knee-length skirt falls into his arms.

He screams a frightfully loud, "NO!" as her chest falters to rise.