Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Kuwabara Love Story ❯ Day Tripper ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A Kuwabara love story--Chapter 6

Written by: Jesscheaux

Disclaimer: I did not invent, nor do I own, Yu Yu Hakusho or any of the characters, except for Sayo Azuke, whom I created.

Author's notes: Sayo has joined the members of Team Urameshi! (Most of them anyway.) and Hiei doesn't look very happy about this. Will she get a warm reception, or be booted to Kingdom Come...find out now!

This is also the last of the pre-written chapters guys! Everything from now on will be in 'real-time' Thanks for sticking with me! ^_^
________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________


Sayo smirked, "Hello Kazuma..."

The astounded Kuwabara could only stare at her and he kept opening and closing his mouth, not knowing what to say. Kurama walked up next to Kuwabara with his arms folded and looked on in interest with a slight smile. Hiei scowled.

"Botan..." Hiei trailed off, "What is the meaning of this?"

"Why hello, Hiei, Kuwabara, Kurama! So nice to see you again." Botan grinned at the group.

Hiei rolled his eyes, "What is SHE doing here?"

"Oh! I'm sorry, how rude of me! Everyone, this is Sayo Azuke."

Sayo nodded, "I know Kazuma, Botan."

Kuwabara sweatdropped and finally regained his voice, "Yeah, we kinda met the other day."

"Oh, that's right! Well, this is Hiei," she guestured towards the shorter man with black flame styled hair and a white bandanna; "And this is Kurama." she pointed to the taller man with shining green eyes and flowing red hair.


"Its a pleasure to meet you, Miss Sayo." Kurama said, stepping forward and shaking her hand.

Kuwabara glared at Kurama for a second then realized what he was doing and looked away quickly.


Hiei was not a happy camper at the moment:

"I'm not going to ask again, Botan." he said most impatiently, "What are you doing here?"

"Well well, looks like somebody got out of the wrong side of the tree this morning!" Botan exclaimed with a chuckle.

"Koenma sent me."

"And?"

"Sayo will be training with you."

"WHAT?!" Kuwabara's eyes nearly popped out of his head. Could this be the truth?

"Yes, on Koenma's orders." Botan continued, "He was watching her fight Kuwabara here and heard about her spirit power. Guys, you're looking at the newest member of Team Urameshi!"

"That's right," said Kurama, "We did need five fighters for this tournament."

"Wonderful." Hiei said flatly, "So what kind of skills do you have, Sayo?"

"I'm a samurai." she answered hesitantly.


(Man, what's up with Sayo?) Kuwabara thought confusedly (She looks so afraid...so vulnerable.)

Her right hand shook as she reached for her sword and pulled it out, making a long metallic sliding noise. "This was my great great great great grandfather's sword. He was a samurai decades ago. It has been handed down in my family for generations; I carry it in his memory."

She continued:

"Everything I know about fighting I learned from my grandfather. He learned what he knew from his father and so on. My grandfather died a few years ago and my mother died at my birth. I was raised by my father and grandfather my whole life."


(Well, that explains why she's so tough.) mused Kuwabara.


Sayo looked down and her hair fell in her face, completely covering her eyes. She turned quickly then looked up at the sky.

Kuwabara's heart ached as he sensed the pain she was feeling. He too knew what it was like to lose loved ones. He'd grown up almost alone, his parents having deserted him and Shizuru as soon as she reached the legal baby-sitting age. His past was a dark one also, but now he had something to hold on to. (I know how it feels, Sayo. It's ok..) he said silently.

Sayo's head perked up and she looked both ways, then turned around, "That voice..." she whispered to herself, "It sounded like--" she turned her head to look at the carrot-top. "Kazuma.."

Kuwabara heard her whisper and looked up at her, their eyes met for a few seconds then both of them quickly looked away.


(What was THAT all about!) Kuwabara thought worriedly (She said my name...)

(Such a strange sensation...) Sayo wondered what had just happened there.


Botan's voice brought them both back to reality:

"So Hiei, Koenma wants you to get started training Sayo right away. He wants you to help hone her swordsmanship skills."

"Perfect..." Hiei grumbled looking from one human to the other, "Two weak brats to train. This is my lucky day."

"Now Hiei," Kurama interupted, "If Koenma thinks she has potential I say we do it. He did choose her as member number five of our team."

"Koenma....that insolent imbecile, I don't see how he gets off bossing us all around." Hiei growled and his Jagan eye began to glow purple under the bandanna; surprisingly, Sayo wasn't alarmed.

"Hiei....don't lose your temper, remember Koenma didn't send you to prison or have you executed, the least we can do is train Sayo to fight in the tournament." Kurama interjected.

Hiei calmed immediately and folded his arms tightly across his chest, then nodded curtly. "So be it."

"Wonderful!" Botan exclaimed and then hopped back on her oar, "I have to be off now, enjoy your training, and I'll see you at the tournament!"

"Goodbye..." Sayo said and waved, suddenly becoming more afraid as Botan disappeared into the endless blue. She didn't really know these men, and Hiei didn't seem to like her at all. Kurama looked like a nice enough guy, and Kuwabara...something was just strange about how he was acting. Sayo sighed and sent out a silent prayer to God that she could make it through these two months.


"Now." Hiei spoke up, "Both of you, draw your swords, you will have a sparring match."

"HUH?!" Kuwabara was immediately on the defensive, "NO WAY! I am not fighting her, Hiei, she's a GIRL!"

"Oh really, so you just noticed that." was the sarcastic retort, "You are my student and I said that you're going to fight her, understood?"

"Hiei?" Sayo spoke up.

He looked at her and motioned for her to speak.

"If Kazuma doesn't want to fight me, that's fine."

"That is unacceptable, Sayo. As your trainer, I demand that you fight with him. Who knows, it may not be a fair fight, seems to me you have more power than this weakling here."

"Are you serious, Shorty?! There's no way that she's more powerful than me!" Kuwabara defended himself.

Hiei smirked, his plan was working perfectly. "Then prove it."

"Fine! SPIRIT SWORD!!!!!" he yelled and then charged at Sayo.


* * *

(I am seriously going to kill you one of these days, Grandma!) Yusuke Urameshi threatened his teacher silently, only to have her voice interrupt his thoughts.

(Now listen here, punk!) GenKai interjected, (I don't want to hear any more of that crazy talk, kill me now and you'll never reach your full potential.)

(Keep out of my mind, hag!) Yusuke thought back angrily.

(Maybe once you've proved yourself I will.) she 'said' and snorted at her student.

"Come on, Yusuke, you'll never beat Toguro like this!" GenKai started up again and began punching Yusuke rapidly.

He groaned in pain and a bit of blood trailed down his chin from his mouth, but the his sensei kept pummeling him relentlessly.

He had gone back to GenKai for more training, knowing well that he had a long way to go. Deep down, he really cared about GenKai and was very thankful for all she had taught him and done for him. Maybe he would admit that to her one day, but not today.

"Bring...it...on!" he yelled as he pushed her back with a small wave of energy.

GenKai quirked an eyebrow, impressed with her student. (He's coming along quite nicely.) she said to herself and smiled.


A few hours later:

Yusuke and GenKai were taking a small break and sipping fresh green tea. They had been discussing the Dark Tournament.

"So I heard you needed another fighter for your team." GenKai mentioned.

"Yeah, stupid rules, they say we need five people. Oh well, guess I'll just have to look for another fighter." Yusuke said with a shrug.

"I'll do it." GenKai said flatly.

"What?! Are you crazy?"

"I said, I'll do it."

Yusuke sighed, "It's your funeral. Welcome to the Team, Grandma."

GenKai looked down, (Oh Yusuke, if only you knew...)

"Hey, why the long face?" he asked worriedly.

"It's nothing. Let's get back to training."

"Hm." Yusuke agreed with a nod, and away they went.



* * *


Kuwabara held his spirit sword directly out, still charging towards Sayo who was un-alarmed. She stood completely still, watching the boy come closer and smirked. The soft emotions of a few minutes ago were gone and the Sayo that Kuwabara had met returned in all her arrogance. Kuwabara face-faulted and at the last second dissipated his spirit sword. He was now standing unsteadily, inches in front of Sayo.

She held out her hand and flicked her index finger onto his chest. Kuwabara instantly fell backwards onto the ground, making little clouds of dust rise around his floored frame.

Sayo made an annoyed sound and turned her back to her fellow human.

Hiei held his forehead in his right hand. "Looks like we have alot of work to do." the fire demon mused.

Kurama chuckled amusedly, (This is going to be so much fun.) He thought to himself. (Who would've thought, Hiei training humans.)


"Get up, weakling." Hiei commanded the fallen Kuwabara, "How do you expect to beat demons if you can't even put a scratch on that mere human girl."

"Unngh..." Kuwabara groaned as he stood up and brushed himself off, "It's my code, I came so close too, but I JUST COULDN'T BRING MYSELF TO DO IT!!!"

"Oi..." Hiei muttered and turning away from the group, "Take a break, we'll continue this later. And you, imbecile, you WILL fight with Sayo. I'll make sure of it..." you could hear the poison dripping from Hiei's voice. Anyone could tell that he wasn't the most patient person in the world, but this was nearly beyond his limits! Humans, how they did annoy him. With a quick rustle, Hiei disappeared.

"He says 'human' like it's a bad thing." Sayo mused as she turned to face Kuwabara once more, "But I do agree with him, you need to get rid of this 'Don't beat up girls' code. It's really hindering you. Where would I be if I refused to beat up guys?"


"You'd be better off. A normal girl for instance." Kuwabara retorted.

The hair prickled on the back of Sayo's neck and you could see her visibly tense, "What was that?! How DARE you, you insolent idiot!" she yelled at Kuwabara running at him and pinning him against the nearest tree. "Not everyone is the same," she hissed, "You like to stereotype people, especially girls, thinking that whatever is in your pea-brained mind is the norm. Well, Kazuma Kuwabara, you need to get rid of that attitude, because it's really starting to tick me off! Chauvinist!" she finished yelling and released her iron grip on the boy who was trembling slightly.

(Whoa.) the stunned Kuwabara dared not answer her. When she got mad, she got REALLY mad! (It makes me wonder if that soft side I saw of her was really there at all. Guess I'll never know.) he shrugged and then stuck his tongue out at Sayo as she was walking away and couldn't see his face.

"Fine Sayo!" he shouted in her direction a moment later, kind've angry that he let himself be treated that way by a girl, "I'll show you! I WILL beat you up one of these days!"

"I'd like to see you try, wimp." Sayo turned her head and spat, resisting the urge to flip Kuwabara off, he could be such a jerk sometimes! (But what do I really know about him besides what I've seen. He's just a big goofball....and a jerk.) she thought with a silent 'harumph' and went to sit under a tree alone.

Hiei had been watching them from the highest branches of a nearby tree, also using his Jagan eye. After Kuwabara's lame attempt at fighting Sayo, he wanted to see how they would act when not in a fighting situation. (She does have attitude.) Hiei thought, (The right kind too. Koenma really did pick a good one.) he admitted to himself.

Kurama watched Sayo and Kuwabara's exchange with much interest. (I think this'll be more fun than I originally thought.)

Kuwabara in the meanwhile stormed off in the opposite direction that Sayo had taken and dug in his back-pack to get out the instant ramen he had brought with him. He fumed as he slurped the hot noodles off of chopsticks, (Stupid Sayo...) he thought angrily and growled between bites.

Sayo was on the other side of the clearing on the side of the tree that didn't face it. She was thinking about her grandfather and sent out her second silent prayer of the day to God, that He would give her strength to survive these two months.

And that idiot Kuwabara.
________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________
Whoo hoo!!! Sayo is training with the boys now! Too bad Kuwabara has that code (Which I do like *grins*), but that makes it all the more interesting!

It looks like Team Urameshi has two new members now! Which one will compete in the Dark Tournament? Looks like either Koenma doesn't know something or Yusuke didn't get the memo! Only time will tell. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, stay tuned for more.

Be kind, Review ^.^