Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Koenma's Threat ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11--Koenma's Threat

Running.

She was running.

Running in a cold darkness that coiled around her like a snake, choking off her reasoning, heightening the fear and loneliness that flowed within her soul as she charged onward. No sound met her ears, save the pounding of her heart as she sought out the only man who could ease her pain and calm her senses. She had to see him. She had to let him know she would never give up. That she would always love him. But where was he? Where had he gone?

"Kurama!" Botan cried out desperately, her panicked eyes darting frantically about. Hoping, praying for some sign of his presence.

And in answer to her call, the darkness lifted slightly, the dreamscape changing (for this was but a dream), becoming lighter, less foreboding. The deity found herself standing in a softly lit room. A room that seemed oddly familar. Botan's gaze shifted quickly over the sparse furniture, lingering upon the empty bed where a small pile of strangely colored bandages lay. The deity's features scrunched up in concentration as she walked over towards the bed. Why do I feel like I've done this before. She wondered as she reached out to scoop up the bandages only to stop as she caught movement to her right.

Slowly, Botan turned sideways, her eyes widening at the sight that met her eyes. There, no more than a few feet away stood Kurama, half dressed, a tenderness reflected in his eyes that matched the loving smile that graced his perfect lips.

"Kurama!" Botan sang out in joy as she raced over to him, her slender arms wrapping around his bare torso, her head nestling into his shoulder, her face growing hot from the warmth that radiated from his exposed skin. "You're here! Thank God you're here!" She cried as she closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of his arms around her. But her joy was cut short as she suddenly fell forward, crashing face first onto the floor.

Botan quickly jumped to her feet, her features confused as all was cast into darkness once again. "Kurama!" She cried as she wandered aimlessly in the empty space. "Kurama where are you?!"

Just then the voice of Koenma echoed like a thunderous boom around her, causing the deity to cringe in pain, her shaking hands flying up to her ears in a vain attempt to protect her tender hearing from the deafening volume.

"You can never have him Botan! He is a human with a Youko soul! His is forbidden to you! Forbidden!"

Botan lowered her hands from her ears, shouting back defiantly. "I will never stop loving him! He is the one I want! Him and no other!"

Koenma roared back, "It is too late for him anyway Botan! He's dead! And he's never coming back!"

What! Botan's mind screamed, her body suddenly paralyzed. "No." She gasped. "It can't be."

"Believe it Botan! In the end, he just wasn't good enough for you!"

But Botan could not hear Koenma. All she could hear was the sound of her heart breaking, her knees giving out as she collapsed onto the floor and all grew into darkness.

"Kurama!" Botan cried, her eyelids snapping open, driven into consciousness by her nightmare. She tried to bolt upright only to stop as her body met resistance. The deity's gaze shifted over to her left, her pained and confused features softening at the sight that met her eyes. "Kurama?" She murmured softly, smiling as she felt the sleeping kitsune's arm tighten around her back, pulling her closer to him. He was still alive.

Botan let out a sigh of relief as she rested her head back upon the pillow she seemed to be sharing with Kurama. Her right hand stretched out as she gently brushed at his bangs, letting out a soft cry of surprise as he pulled her closer still, their faces now nose to nose. Botan's heart threatened to burst from the closeness of his lips to hers, her eyes widening as the soft caress of his breath carried the whisper of her name.

"Botan ...." He murmured, his features twisting in some imagined pain.

Could it be he's dreaming about me? She wondered in awe as her gaze focused on his lips. So close now. So very close. Her hand reached up once again, betraying her thoughts as she traced the left side of his jaw, hovering above his lips briefly before drawing back away. Her features suddenly grew tight. When had she fallen asleep? And why hadn't Kurama woke her up? Didn't he know that Koenma was probably looking for her at this very moment! Ready to scream at her for hitting him upside the head. And here she was of all places in the red haired man's bed. Granted there was no place she'd rather be and, to her dismay, like all the other times before nothing had happened. But if Koenma were to see the two of them snuggled so close to each other, no doubt the toddler lord would confine her to Reikai permanently. And if he finds me here, Kurama could get in trouble as well. Botan thought, biting her lower lip at her situation. She knew she should return to Reikai, but found herself unable to move as conflicting thoughts entered her consciousness. Should she go back or should she stay with Kurama?

So many times before, when she had stayed with him, she always left before the coming of dawn. She dared not linger, afraid she would do something foolish, something that she wanted but always denied herself because she could never tell what Kurama's true feelings towards her were. But now. Now that she knew he loved her, was it really so bad to want to stay wrapped safely in his arms? To feel the steady beat of his heart against hers? For that was how close he was holding her now. Did he have any idea how much torture he was putting her through? Holding her against him as if they were lovers when the truth was he believed it better for them to remain just friends?!

Botan clenched her jaw in defiance. I refuse to accept this! He is not forbidden to me. I love him and I will not give up on him. Or on us.

"Botan .. I'm ... Sorry .." Kurama murmured once again, drawing the deity's attention back on him.

The deity's features darkened as she witnessed the kitsune's handsome features twisted in pain once again. What is wrong Kurama? Are you having nightmares too? She wondered. The deity's eyes suddenly narrowed. Is he really asleep or is he pulling my leg? She wondered as she eyed him warily. Kurama was known for his heightened sense of smell, sight and hearing. I wonder if ... A devilish smile sprang upon Botan's beautiful face as she tilted her head ever so slightly to the right, closing her eyes as her lips brushed lightly against his, their first kiss, soft and gentle, a simple test to see if the kitsune was indeed asleep. The deity opened her eyes and pulled back slightly, stifling a giggle as Kurama's features relaxed, smacking his lips before drawing them into a happy smile.

Botan smiled, satisfied he was still asleep. Her smile soon fell as she pondered over the significance of her nightmare. Was it just a subconscious manifestation of her fears of loneliness and death or was there something more to it? Some answer hidden among the darkness that surrounded her.

In the end, he was never good enough for you anyway!

Those words, spoken in her mind by Koenma, angered her. How dare he dictate to me who is worthy of my heart! I will decide who it is I love! I will not marry anyone from Reikai! No matter what punishment he places upon me, I will not forsake Kurama! Her mind snarled as the deity resolved to straighten out Koenma on her own terms and in her own way.

With great care, Botan reached out to her side, clasping her hand gently upon Kurama's forearm, moving it slowly up and away from her. She laid his arm gently upon his side, her hand trailing down to his. She gave his hand a soft caress before letting go and rising off the bed. Her gaze strayed over to the window, where darkness still reigned over the sky. Botan gave a small nod. Good. I still have some time yet. She thought as she turned around to face Kurama. Botan grabbed the comforter that had bunched up under her earlier and laid it tenderly across the kitsune's sleeping form. Leaning down, she pressed her lips gently upon his forehead, caressing the side of his face once more. "Sweet dreams Kurama. I'll see you soon." She whispered in his ear before straightening her frame and exiting the room via the window and her oar.

*****

Kurama awoke sometime later to the gentle rapping sound of someone at his bedroom door, the soft voice of his mother filtering through the wood, drawing him instantly awake. The kitsune's eyelids snapped open, relief and disappointment mingling in his heart as he noticed Botan was no where to be found. The kitsune scooted to the edge of his bed, rising quickly to his feet as he walked over and opened his door.

"Good morning Suuichi!" Shori sang to her son, her blue eyes twinkling happily as she stood before him. "You have a visitor here who would like to see you."

Kurama raised an eyebrow as he reached up with his right hand to rub his tired eyes. "Who is it mother?" He asked, hoping it was Botan. I really need to speak with her. He thought, frowning at what was left unsaid between them.

"A nicely dressed young man with the strangest tattoo on his forehead."

Kurama lowered his hand, his features turning dark. "What kind of tattoo?" He asked a little more sharply than he attended.

Shori seemed unfazed as she replied, "The word Jr."

Kurama let out a sigh. Great, just great. He grumbled mentally even as his face grew impassive. "Thank you mother." He said as he walked past her down the hall, descending slowly upon the stairs, his bare feet a soft footfall on the wood floor as he turned towards the living room where Koenma sat regally in the brown leather chair near the fireplace along the far side of the room, his clothes neatly pressed and his manner authoritative. As if he was holding court. Kurama thought in mild irritation as he headed across the white carpeting, stopping a few feet from the spirit lord.

"Good morning Koenma." Kurama greeted civilly as he eyed the slender man before him, his wary emerald orbs clashing with the angry brown ones of the prince as he rose from his seat.

"I need to speak to you ... Suuichi," He said coolly, looking past the kitsune to where his mother stood near the head of the stairs, watching the two men curiously. "Someplace private." He added.

Kurama sensed his mother's worried eyes focused upon him and rather than cause a scene, the red haired man relented, giving Koenma a nod before waving him forward. "Follow me." He said evenly, stopping briefly to slip on a pair of blue and white tennis shoes that sat beside the entryway before leading the lord of Reikai out the front door.

No words were exchanged between the two men as they traveled along the walled enclosure, rounding a corner that led into a rather impressive garden filled with hardy bushes and plants, designed with great care and skill. As if they had walked into the garden of Eden.

Koenma couldn't help but be impressed. "This is some back yard." He murmured as he eyed the environment, his ears picking up the sounds of rushing water. Curious, he turned his head to the side to find a small waterfall tucked away among the brush, falling into a pond where white and yellow flower lilies floated gracefully among the surface.

But Kurama was in no mood for idle chitchat. "Why are you here Lord Koenma? Is something wrong in Reikai?"

Koenma's features grew grim as he turned back to face the red haired man. "I came here looking for Botan." He stated softly, pausing as he saw the kitsune's reaction.

Kurama's eyes widened slightly, fear pulsing through his veins as he tried desperately to control the rising panic filling his heart and soul. "She's not in Reikai?" He asked in a pained whisper, instinct telling him to rush off and find her while reason told him to remain calm.

Koenma studied the young man's face closely, his features dark as he spoke in an accusing tone. "Since she was with you last night, I thought you might know where she is."

Kurama's features darkened. How did Koenma know that? Did he have spies watching his house? The kitsune did not like the way the spirit lord was looking at him, as if he were some pervert praying upon an innocent woman when nothing had happened between them. Youko began to take over and it was all the kitsune could do to keep from yelling at the Reikai lord. "You've been watching me all this time haven't you?" He growled, his tone low and threatening as his gaze hardened and green flickered golden.

Koenma stood his ground, denying nothing as he addressed the taller man sharply, his tone full of disapproval. "I couldn't trust you to keep your word Kurama." He began, straightening his frame as he glared at the red haired man. " Botan is like family to me. For over 500 years I have watched over her, hoping that she would rise above the circumstances that surrounded her family. Hoping to spare her the pain of sorrow. " He paused, collecting his thoughts while Kurama stared at him in confusion.

"What are you talking about Koenma?" The kitsune asked, his gaze softening but his eyes still aflame with gold. "What about Botan's family?"

But Koenma did not elaborate as he turned away from him and closed his eyes. "After that incident with Yakumo, I noticed the spark go out of Botan. She seemed depressed, withdrawn. And I couldn't help her. Everyone tried to lift her spirits but she wouldn't so much as smile. She couldn't perform her duties. All she did was lay in her room, crying. I have never felt so helpless in all my life." He whispered, his voice trailing off briefly before he regained his composure. "And then all of the sudden, Botan was happy once more. Vibrant and alive. And at first I was happy. " He added, his mournful tone morphing into bitterness as he turned around to face the kitsune once more. "Until I found out she spent most of her time with you. Seeking comfort in your arms when she knew it was forbidden to love a human."

Kurama's shook his head in disbelief. "I thought we went over this before Koenma. Botan and I did nothing wrong. And I did not improperly towards her at any time."

"But she did!" The Reikai lord growled angrily, momentarily forgetting his fear as he closed the gap between them, his face twisted in rage as he glared up at Kurama. "Last night when we found her gone, I knew of only one place she could be. And that was with you. So I sent Ayame to your house. And what did she see but your arm wrapped around Botan and her kissing you!"

Kurama's eyebrows shot up, amused by Koenma's reaction. "Kissing me?" He murmured, tilting his head back. "I don't remember that." He said softly, wishing for all the world he had.

Koenma dropped his head and snorted. "Don't play dumb with me Kurama." He snapped. "Even if you say you don't remember, I don't believe you. I can't trust either of you to behave yourselves so you leave me no choice but to make Botan cut off all ties with you."

A dark rage began to burn inside Kurama's heart causing the red haired man to grit his teeth, biting back the hate before things got out of hand and Youko took over completely. I will not allow my emotions to control me. If I were to act irrationally, it would be all the ammunition Koenma needed to prove to Botan I am no good for her. She would never forgive me if something bad happened to him. Still, the kitsune glared at the smaller man, his features twisted in anger as he spoke. "I hardly think it's your place to tell Botan who she can be around and who she can't."

"I am her boss Kurama." The Reikai prince said with a smirk. "I'd say I'm the only one who can tell her what to do."

"You may be her boss, but Botan is a living being with free will. You can't make her do anything." He said coldly. "And this conversation is over." He added turning away from the dark haired man. He began to walk back towards his house only to stop when Koenma addressed him.

"You know they say hell is full of thieves and murderers. I think you'd fit right in."

The kitsune's face drained of color. "What?" He whispered in disbelief as he turned back around to face Koenma. "What was that?"

Koenma's frame stiffened, his features unapologetic. "You heard me." He replied, the judger of souls knowing full well the stained past of the kitsune.

"Are you threatening me with damnation if I don't stay away from Botan?" His voice was barely audible, not wanting to believe what he had just heard. That all the atonement he had achieved would be tossed to the side like meaningless trash simply because Koenma's head ferry girl was in love with him. And he with her.

Koenma walked past Kurama. "If it will keep you away from her, then yes." He replied harshly. "You claim to remain just friends, but how long can you keep to your promise Kurama?" He asked. "I've seen the way you two look at each other. It is only a matter of time before you act upon your feelings. And I can not allow that to happen, no matter how much Botan will suffer, in the end she is better off alone."

"And do you actually believe that Koenma?" Kurama asked coldly, his eyes growing narrow, deadly. "Do you actually think Botan would be better off without someone to love her?"

Koenma did not back away, did not relent in his belief. "If that someone is you than yes, absolutely."

Kurama let out a growl of disgust, not wanting to hear anymore as he whirled back towards the house.

"Where are you going Kurama." Koenma shouted, miffed at the kitsune's insolent attitude. "I'm not finished talking with you yet."

"I no longer have the time nor inclination to talk to you Koenma." He replied in an even tone, that belied the shock, rage and horror that threatened to overwhelm him. "Do with me what you will, I care not. All I care about is finding Botan." He added darkly before turning the corner and disappearing from Koenma's view.

Koenma let out a heavy sigh, his features growing weary as he studied the lush green grass below his feet, clenching his eyes at the sudden throbbing of his temples. Dammit! Being the bad guy is giving me a headache! He swore inwardly as he reached up to rub the site of pain, dropping his hand and tilting his head up and back as he heard a soft feminine voice speak to him from above.

"What that really necessary my lord?"

Koenma gave a small sigh as his brown eyes met the concerned blue ones of his research assistant, Ayame, who hovered upon a wooden oar some feet above him, her long black hair flowing freely as a gentle breeze danced around her, teasing the long sleeves of her dark kimono. The Reikai prince watched with a soft smile as Ayame shifted to the left before landing silently beside him.

Koenma took a deep breath, releasing it slowly before answering, "I didn't know what else to do Ayame." He said with a frown. "After what you told me last night, I fear for Botan's safety. If the others were to know, it could throw the three realms into chaos just as it did 3,000 years ago." He added with a shake of his head. "She must be made to understand that what she wants is wrong. That her love for Kurama is wrong."

"But my lord," Ayame interjected. "The heart cannot be ordered around. If Botan truly loves Kurama what does it matter to you?"

Koenma gave a bitter laugh. "You know not the history of your own people Ayame." He said as he looked back up to the sky. "But then again how could you, since parts of that history have been altered or destroyed."

Ayame frowned. "Lord Koenma what are you talking about? What history?"

The Reikai prince dropped his head. "There are laws Ayame. Laws to protect Reikai from the two other realms. These laws are absolute. One of these laws dictates no one of Reikai blood can marry outside their realm. To disobey this law would result in death. And the death of those they loved."

Ayame looked at him in surprise and shock. "I don't remember reading that in any of the texts at the palace."

"Nor would you Ayame." Koenma replied. "It is an unwritten law. And one I haven't had to worry about since ..." His voice trailed off, a nameless sadness creeping upon his features as he closed his eyes.

"Lord Koenma?" Ayame said gently, eyeing him in concern. "What is it? Are you ill?" She asked, reaching out her slender arm to rest her hand upon his shoulder.

Koenma shook his head. I must protect Reikai. He thought determinedly, even though he hated having to resort to threats against one of his best detectives. Above all else I must do this. The risks are too great for all of us. "It is nothing Ayame." He said finally, turning back towards her. "I think it's time we head back to Reikai, don't you?"

Ayame stared at him in disbelief. "What about Botan? Aren't you worried about her?" She asked. "She still hasn't come back home. What if she's hurt or ..."

"Botan will be fine Ayame," Koenma interrupted, not allowing her to finish. "Whatever else I may say about Kurama, if anyone could find her it would be him."

"Even after what you said to him, what makes you think he won't just run off with her?"

"Because Kurama is an honorable man. And even though he's the younger of the two, the kitsune is definitely the more mature one."

Ayame gave a small smile. "You speak as if you admire him."

Koenma rolled his eyes. "Speaking the truth is not admiration Ayame." He replied, loathe to admit he did indeed admire the red haired man. "Let's get going shall we." He added, clapping his hands. "If I don't get back soon, George will think I've been kidnapped again and God knows what he'll do to damage my reputation even further."

Ayame shook her head, raising her right hand to the side, an oar materializing instantly. The dark haired ferry girl hopped gracefully on while Koenma struggled to get on behind her.

"Stupid oar! Hold still!" The prince ordered his transportation as he finally managed to wrestle himself on behind Ayame.

Ayame steered the oar upwards into the air, the pair rising higher and higher into the sky until they passed the barrier into Reikai.

******

"Suuichi dear are you all right?" Shori asked, standing at the edge of the stairs, her concerned blue eyes studying her son as he entered the house.

Kurama kept his head hung low as he removed his shoes. He was far from all right. The woman he loved was missing. The man he had worked for and at one time admired, had threatened to send him to hell for his love of Botan. Even though he had remained a gentleman towards her, the Reikai prince had no trust in him. Did not believe he would keep his promise. And to his total amazement, had even sunk so low as to punish him for what was in his heart. What does he expect me to do? Just give up and forget what my heart won't let me? The truth is I can't forget how I feel. I can't forget that I have always and will always love Botan! Anger screamed within his chest, crying for release. But Kurama held it at bay. He did not want his mother to see him like this. So full of hate and anger. My eyes are still gold. I know they are. How can they not after what he said to me.

"Suuichi?"

Kurama let out a sigh. "It is nothing mother. I'm fine." He said softly walking past her and up the stairs stopping halfway when Shori addressed him.

"What did that young man want with you Kurama?"

Kurama closed his eyes, his heart hurting at the worried tone of her voice. I must ease her fears. I must gain control of these emotions! "Just a friend from school mother." He lied softly, turning around to look at her with passive emerald eyes. "We're going to the same university and he just wanted to compare classes with me. That's all."

Shori frowned, but didn't press the issue. "Are you hungry Suuichi? I could make you breakfast."

Kurama gave her a tender smile. "No thank you mother." He replied, turning around. "I don't have time. I have some errands to do today and I need to leave as soon as possible." He added, his thoughts lost on Botan and where she could possibly be. I have to find her. Before Koenma does. He growled mentally, his heart growing dark once again as the words of the Reikai prince stomped around in his mind. He wanted to kill Koenma for threatening him. For speaking of Botan as if she were piece of property without thoughts and feelings that could be controlled and molded. The arrogance of the Reikai prince irritated him to no end. And it didn't help that Botan was nowhere to be found. With a sigh, Kurama opened the door to his bedroom and shut it softly behind him. The kitsune grabbed the sides of his shirt, pulling the turtleneck up and over his head, his body stiffing suddenly as he felt a familar chi behind him.

"Hey you." Botan's cheery voice called out, bringing a soft smile to the red haired man's lips as he turned slowly around.

"Hey yourself." He replied, not moving from his spot as he studied her. She seems all right. He thought in relief, noticing the change of clothes And.. The scent of lavender hung in the air. She had bathed recently. But... Kurama thought with a frown. If Botan didn't go back to Reikai, then where did she go to clean up? He wondered as he watched Botan advance towards him, a shy smile on her face as she stopped a few feet before him, her eyes shifting away from his face to his bare torso.

"I'm sorry I left last night. I didn't want to." She said, her voice all but a whisper as she walked up and wrapped her arms around him. "But I had some unfinished business to attend to." She added, closing her eyes as she felt the heat radiate from his shoulder, a physical test to make sure she was awake, that this wasn't a dream.

Kurama said nothing at first, trying to calm the pounding of his heart that threatened to leap out of his chest as he reached up and wrapped his arms around her. "Where did you go Botan?" He asked in a concerned voice. "I was worried something bad had happened to you."

Botan laughed, pulling slightly away from him, looking up at him with twinkling purple eyes. "What would make you think that silly?"

Kurama opened his mouth about to say something only to close it once more, his features withdrawn. If I tell her what Koenma said, it would only upset her. He thought with an inward sigh. And knowing him, Koenma will make good on his threat. Still, Kurama could not bring himself to break away from her. Not with her so close in his arms, even if it was for the last time.

"Kurama?" Botan whispered, her features falling as she noticed the sadness in his eyes. "Tell me what's troubling you so?"

The kitsune shook his head, casting his gaze downward. "It's nothing important Botan." He answered, breaking reluctantly away from her. He headed quickly into his bathroom, tossing his turtleneck into the hamper before returning to Botan's side, a tender smile on his face as he noticed how happy the deity seemed to be. "You seem quite cheerful today Botan," He said softly, a twinkle in his eyes as he watched her sit down on the edge of his bed.

"When I'm with you Kurama, I feel like I can do anything." She said with a demure smile.

Kurama, despite his tight control on his emotions, couldn't help but blush at the way she was looking at him right now. Is she serious. Do I really bring that much joy to her life? He wondered, his brow furrowing as Botan let out a small laugh.

"I've never seen you blush before Kurama." She said lightly, her smile widening as Kurama turned away in embarrassment.

The kitsune closed his eyes, calming himself at the way her steady gaze made him feel. "Botan, there's something we need to finish discussing." He said evenly as he turned back around to face her once more.

Botan watched with curious eyes as Kurama walked over to the black chair at his desk and pulled it quickly towards him before lowering himself gracefully upon it's cushion.

Kurama drew in a deep breath, letting it out slowly before he spoke. "Last night you told me that no matter what happened between us, you would wait for me. That you would always love me." He began, resting his forearms upon his legs as he leaned forward. The kitsune's swallowed the lump in his throat as his serious emerald orbs met the yearning ones of Botan and held.

Botan nodded, leaning closer to him. "I remember." She whispered, her eyes never leaving his, her heart pounding like a jackhammer at Kurama's poignant gaze.

"The truth is Botan ... " He started then stopped, unsure how to express himself.

Stupid boy just tell her already! Youko's voice shouted at him causing Kurama to drop his head.

That's what I'm trying to do okay! Leave me alone!

Hn. Youko grumbled. I don't know why I should. You'll just screw it up like all the other times before.

"Leave me alone." Kurama repeated only this time it was out loud, the words reaching Botan's ears who looked at him in surprise and hurt.

"Did you just tell me to leave you alone?" She asked in a pained voice.

Kurama brought his attention quickly back upon her face, shaking his head emphatically. "I wasn't talking to you ... Botan ... I was just ... " He stammered, dropping his head and letting out a sigh, his eyes widening in surprise as he felt Botan reach out to him, resting her hand on his.

"What is it Kurama? What are you trying to say?" She whispered softly, drawing the kitsune's gaze back upon her face, her heart falling as she saw his saddened countenance.

Kurama closed his eyes, willing his pain away. This will be the last day for the two of us, don't spoil it Kurama by worrying her with your depressing attitude. He chided himself as his lips twisted into a smile. A smile for her sake even as he was dying on the inside. "I guess what I'm saying is I think you and I need to get out of this place for a little fresh air." He answered at last, opening his eyes once more. "What do you say?" He asked, looking over to the deity who smiled in return.

"Sounds like fun." She replied, her mood lightening once again. "What do you have in mind?"

"The Chrysanthemum festival has begun in Sakaoshimi near Nikko National Park." He said softly. "We could spend the day there." He added, pausing as his features grew uncertain. "But .. Only if you want to .. I mean we could do something else if you want .." He stammered, frowning in frustration at his loss of speech. What is wrong with me? He wondered. Why do I feel so nervous?

Love can make you nervous. Yoke's voice cut into his thoughts and this time Kurama couldn't argue.

I guess you're right. He thought with a smile as he waited for Botan to answer.

The deity matched his smile and nodded. "I think that's a great idea Kurama." She replied lifting her hand from his as she rose to her feet. "When do we leave?"

Kurama rose to his feet as well. "Give me five minutes to clean up and we'll be on our way."

Botan nodded, watching with a contented sigh as the kitsune turned, walked over to his closet for a fresh set of clothes then quickly marched into his bathroom, closing the door gently behind him. The deity walked over to the window, her gaze lifting up to stare at the clear blue sky. Her thoughts shifted to Koenma and what he would say when he found the note she had left for him in her room. He will be angry with me but I don't care. She thought, her tightened features brightening as her mind shifted over to thoughts of Kurama. She had wanted to tell him what she had done, but at the last second she relented, certain he would disapprove of her decision. But it could not be helped. I did it for us Kurama. I did this for us. She thought with conviction, turning back around at the sound of the bathroom door opening.

Kurama reappeared dressed in a black silk shirt that matched the black dress socks adorning his feet. The kitsune adjusted the black belt wrapped around his tailored light beige slacks before walking over to her. "Are you ready to go?" He asked.

Botan nodded. "I'll meet you outside." She said with a smile, reaching out to open the window.

Kurama watched her float out the window via her oar before turning and exiting his room.

He gave his mom a quick explanation where he would be before sliding on his black dress loafers and grabbing his brown leather bomber jacket off the coat rack. He gave Shori a quick kiss on the cheek. "Good bye mother, I'll see you this evening."

"Have fun Suuichi. Pick up a couple mums for me."

Kurama smiled. "As you wish." He said before turning and walking out the door.

A few seconds later, Kurama reached his bike, smiling at the excited look in Botan's eyes as he handed her his jacket. "Ready to go?" He asked.

Botan nodded, sliding the jacket on. "Ready when you are." She replied watching as Kurama hopped onto the leather seat, scooting upwards so Botan would have room.

The deity sat down behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist as she rested her head against his back, sighing in contentment. I could do this all day. She thought, closing her eyes as Kurama kick started his motorcycle, revving it a few times before moving carefully out the drive and into the street, heading straight for the highway. Both unaware they were being followed.

So you've decided to spend the day with the ferry girl Kurama. Ailia thought as she maintained a safe distance between the Silver motorcycle and her own black one. And during a flower festival no less, how appropriate for a master of plants. She added mentally as she read his thoughts, her features turning wolfish as she probed his mind further. This could prove to be an interesting day indeed. The dark haired woman thought as she merged carefully onto the highway, an evil gleam in her blue eyes as she weaved in and out of traffic, excited at what she had planned for the kitsune. Soon Kurama, everything you have ever loved will be taken from you. And you will have no one to blame but yourself.