Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Torandai, Elder of Reikai ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Chapter 16-- Torandai, Elder of Reikai

Darkness.

It filled his mind, penetrating through his defenses, rendering him weak and vulnerable.

Images haunted him. His mother yelling at him, berating him, her words cruel and her eyes as cold as the air around him. The image shifted, becoming the bodies of his friends and Kurama felt so helpless. And hopeless. His grief intensifying at the sound of Botan's voice crying out to him, pleading for his help.

And then something snapped. Some inner strength he had not known to possess filled him and he changed into something bigger, more powerful. And he did it for her. All for her. Just to see her, to touch her, to know she was for real and not some lie perpetrated by his hopeful heart. And then she was there, in front of him, her delicate fingers caressing his face, her words reflecting the love from her precious heart. Love reserved for him alone. But all too soon it was over, darkness taking him away from his beloved, her beautiful face replaced by an emptiness that consumed him.

Consciousness returned slowly to Kurama as he struggled to awaken from the dark haze that swirled within his mind. At last his eyelids fluttered open, his features confused and his eyes disorientated as he looked about, wondering where he was. The kitsune brought his right hand up to rub his eyes only to drop his hand when he noticed the cool air kiss his exposed skin. Peering down, Kurama lifted the brown comforter wrapped around him, raising an eyebrow at his current state of undress, wearing nothing more than the black knit boxers he had chosen to put on that day. What had happened to his clothes?

Remembrance struck him, his left hand snapping to the right side of his torso, probing for signs of injury from the rocks he had been slammed into earlier. When his fingers traced nothing but unblemished skin, Kurama let out a sigh and dropped his hands to the side as his memory returned. The cave, the assaults upon his mind and ... Botan. The kitsune frowned, his heart growing heavy. Had she really been waiting for him at the other side of the cave? Or was it simply wishful thinking from his overactive imagination? He began to suspect his dreams of Botan coming to his rescue to be nothing more than that. An idle fantasy from his fevered brain. But, if she hadn't been there, who had healed him so quickly?

"The ferry girl was here Kurama." Hiei's unmistakable gruff voice intruded into his thoughts, breaking his reverie. "And it was she who healed you."

The kitsune pulled himself up into a sitting position, his emerald eyes meeting the impassive ones of his best friend. He looked around slowly, his features falling at the lack of Botan's chi. Even so, her scent still lingered faintly within the room, a lovely feminine smell of lavender that brought a smile to Kurama's face. "So she did?" He said lightly, looking back to Hiei. "How long did she stay?"

Hiei sighed in irritation as he answered. "How the hell should I know Kurama? I was too busy watching the moron around my sister to notice."

Kurama frowned. "Didn't she say good bye to anyone?" He asked, concern flashing across his features as he studied the fire demon.

Hiei shook his head. "I think she wanted to slip away before anyone took notice."

But why? Kurama wondered, It's not like her to just up and leave without saying anything. Then again, Botan wasn't supposed to be in Ningenkai in the first place. She had taken a big risk, just to come to his aid. The kitsune couldn't help but smile at how close they had become. And yet, his heart was troubled and disappointed. Kurama had wanted to talk to her in person, to caress her beautiful face, to pull her into his arms and ...

"Hey Kurama!" Kuwabara's boisterous voice echoed within the small room, his large frame silhouetted by the moon light that flooded the open door.

The red haired man's wistful look was replaced by curiosity as the tall man entered and slid the door closed behind him, a bundle of clothing cradled in his arms.

"I've brought some stuff for ya." Kuwabara said with a smile as he walked over to the still sitting kitsune.

Kurama accepted the offering from the big man's outstretched arms, raising an eyebrow at the pair of gray socks, a gray sweatshirt and black sweats he now held in his hands.

Kuwabara noticed the almost indignant look the kitsune gave and frowned. "Uh, I know it's not your style Kurama but it's all Genkai had that would fit you."

Kurama's look of mild disdain was replaced by gratitude. "It is okay Kuwabara. It will do." He answered, sitting the clothing to his left onto the cold wood floor as he flipped the comforter off, ignoring the cool air that slammed into him as he slipped on the socks then the sweats in a fluid motion before grabbing the sweatshirt and rising to his feet .

Kuwabara smiled, noticing Kurama's torso was free of injury as he watched the kitsune slide the sweatshirt over his head. "We were all worried about you for a while there Kurama. It's a good thing Botan showed up and healed your wounds like she did. Of course I suppose Yukina could have done the same thing, but she was .. kind of occupied at the time." He said, a silly look flashing upon his face.

Hiei snorted. Occupied entertaining your worthless ass! His mind snarled, bristling at the recent incident he had witnessed. The ice apparition and the orange haired man holding hands and talking quietly under a pine tree along the shore of a lake near the temple. The fire demon's teeth had been clenched so tight when he had found them that he nearly broke his jaw. It took all of his will power not to reach out and grab Kuwabara by the collar and drag him roughly away from his sister. The words he had overheard still grated him and the fire demon could hold his tongue no longer as he spoke. "Yeah, if you call holding hands and whispering sweet nothings being occupied."

Kuwabara's smile instantly vanished as he whirled towards the fire apparition with a look of pure aggravation. "Shut up shorty!" He snarled. "What the hell were you doing spying on us anyway?! You're acting like you're Yukina's father or something!"

Kurama held back his laughter as he began to fold the comforter and then the futon, lifting them quickly into his arms before walking over to the far wall. He placed the two items neatly down, his lips twitching as he turned and noticed the intense discomfort Hiei was suddenly exhibiting. You don't know how close you are Kuwabara. The fox spirit thought as he walked back over to the two men, deciding to intervene in the situation before it got out of hand. "Kuwabara?" He said softly but with enough authority that the tall man took notice, turning back to the kitsune, his anger replaced by a questioning look. "Is there something else you wanted to tell me?"

Kuwabara's face lit up as he snapped his fingers. "Oh yeah, thanks Kurama. Genkai wants to speak with you in the main building of the temple as soon as possible. She said she has something to tell you."

The fox spirit nodded. "I am ready now." He replied, walking past the tall man before sliding the door open and emerging outside. Turning right, Kurama began to walk briskly but silently along the wrap around porch, his features neutral, though his mind was curious what it was that Genkai had to tell him. No doubt it has something to do with what happened in the cave. He thought as he rounded the corner. Kurama came to a stop at the front door of the temple, reaching out to slide it open with a gentle pull, revealing a sitting Genkai and Yusuke who looked at him in welcome.

"Come in Kurama. Have a seat." She said softly, bidding him forward with a wave of her hand.

The kitsune released his hold and stepped forward, noting Kuwabara and Hiei's entrance after him as he took his place in front of the wizened psychic who closed her eyes and crossed her arms.

"Tell me what happened to you Kurama inside the cave." She began. "What did you see?"

Kurama raised an eyebrow. Well she certainly doesn't waste any time does she. He thought with a smirk as he began, retelling her everything that had occurred. When he had finished, Genkai opened her eyes and studied the man before her with understanding and even a trace of sympathy.

"You suffered greatly and yet you conquered your fears and your doubts and gained a knowledge that will last you until your dying breath." She began, her features turning thoughtful as she looked away from him. "And something else happened to you Kurama, a power you hadn't anticipated was unleashed in that cave." She added, looking back to him. "You know of what I speak?"

Kurama pondered that question for a few seconds before nodding. "You're referring to my transformation are you not?"

Genkai nodded. "Do you know how powerful that transformation was?"

Kurama shook his head. "I'm afraid that was the last thing on my mind at the time." He said, his thoughts going back to the last thing his eyes had seen. The perfect creature that had captured his heart and soul. A ferry girl who loved him despite his past. His deity. His love. His Botan.

Genkai let out a polite cough, noticing the far away look in the red haired man's emerald orbs.

Kurama's mind re entered the present, his gaze coming back to the old woman who gave him a smile before continuing.

"That transformation, even as brief as it was, surpassed the S Class of power."

Kurama blinked in surprise as he stared at Genkai. "Are you certain?"

Genkai nodded. "Absolutely."

"But how is that possible?" Yusuke asked, clearly confused. "I thought S Class was as high as a person could get in spiritual energy."

"Not necessarily Yusuke." Genkai replied, closing her eyes in contemplation. "Limits can always be broken, records surpassed. It's just that the S Class is so rare in and of itself that no one has been able to go above it."

"Yeah but how did he do it?" Yusuke asked.

"Kurama is an unique individual." Genkai began, opening her eyes to gaze upon the silent kitsune. "A human with a Youko soul. While it is true that his demon form is stronger both physically and spiritually, the potential to harness his human spiritual energy has always been present but untapped. Until now."

Understanding flashed across the handsome features of Kurama. Of course. He thought. Although his human form was the one he used most often, when ever he fought it was with his demon energy not his human energy. But why haven't I used it before? Kurama wondered. Because I never thought to do it. He answered himself, his attention drawn back into the conversation, turning his head to the side as he heard Yusuke growl in irritation.

"Will you quit with all this mumbo jumbo and get to the point grandma!"

Genkai's gaze shifted over to Yusuke, her features annoyed. "Clam it moron!" She snapped, her features returning to normal as she looked back to Kurama. "Tell me something Kurama. What were you thinking of at the precise moment of your transformation?"

Kurama appeared thoughtful as he searched his memories. It didn't take long for him to respond. "I was thinking of Botan. How I wanted to see her. And how I didn't want to watch her die."

A wiry smile flirted upon the psychic's lips. "In other words, it was your love for Botan, coupled with your anger at the thought of losing her that caused your transformation." She said knowingly.

Kurama smiled back and nodded. "Yes." He said simply before asking, "What did this form look like Genkai? I admit I am curious. I felt Youko's form emerge but not completely."

"Like the combination of your human and demon energy, so to was your form. Larger than your normal frame, but without your fox like traits. A hybrid so to speak."

"Ah."

"So Kurama?" Kuwabara began softly, "Do you think you could do that again? The power I felt was awesome, I'd like to see the form that went with it."

Kurama frowned. Could he achieve that form again? It had taken him so long to figure out how to transform into his demon self, how long would it take for him to successfully complete this new hybrid form? "I don't know Kuwabara. Maybe never."

Kuwabara seemed disappointed but said nothing, growing silent and contemplative.

"In any case it doesn't matter." Hiei interjected, drawing everyone's attention to where he stood leaning against the far wall. "All that matters is Kurama passed the test and is capable of defending himself from telepathic attacks."

Genkai nodded. "I suppose we could look at it that way." She said, rising to her feet, wincing slightly at the stiffness in her back. "Now I don't want to seem rude, but it's getting late and I'm tired so if you don't mind I think it best you all head back to your homes." She added, walking past them, opening the door and letting herself out.

Yusuke and Kuwabara followed suit, leaving Hiei and Kurama alone.

The kitsune rose to his feet, noticing a rather distant look on the fire demon's face. "Lost in thought Hiei?" He asked gamely.

"That is none of your damn business Kurama." Hiei snapped irritably, his eyes focused on the open doorway Kuwabara had last passed.

Kurama smiled, following the direction of his gaze. "Still worried about your sister are you?"

The silence that lingered spoke volumes.

"Don't worry Hiei." Kurama said as he turned and began to walk towards the entryway where he bent down to slide a pair of white tennis shoes onto his bare feet. "Kuwabara is a good man. And he loves her. What more could a brother ask for his sister?"

"Hn." Was all the fire demon said before disappearing from view.

Kurama sighed and shook his head. I don't think he will ever accept Kuwabara as a worthy mate for his sister. He thought sadly as he walked into the moonlight. Tilting his head back, the kitsune studied the starlit sky, a tender smile gracing his lips as he thought of Botan, of the life they could have and the dreams they could share. His mind continue to wander, even as he left the temple and headed home for the last night with his family, safe in the knowledge that Botan loved him and he her.

*********

Nighttime had laid claim to the sky of Reikai, a full moon the only illumination for the young man who weaved his way through the woods, his black clothing masking his lean body as he tore relentlessly but silently onward, weary from his travels into the human world and anxious to inform the head elder of his discovery. At last, after a long journey, the traveler's booted feet touched upon a clearing, overjoyed as he gazed upon a elaborate palace as white as the snow capped mountains that rested behind it in the distance.

With quickened steps, the man made his way along the stone pathway that inclined to a series of carved steps, leaping gracefully past the steps to land upon a small flat space before repeating the motion eight more times until at last he landed before the entryway that led inside the massive building.

No guards were posted. None were needed. The beings inhabiting this palace had the ability to annihilate any who sought to harm them. Or so the young man had been told as he pushed open the small metallic door encased within one of the massive metallic gate doors that required spiritual energy to open. There were times though that the young man wondered if this sense of security the elders had was merely a facade. A false belief they were untouchable. But what do I know. The man thought as he began to walk through the open courtyard towards the palace itself. I am merely an infant when compared to such great men.

Upon entering the massive interior of the great palace, the man reached up and pulled off the black hood adorning his head, raking his fingers through the strands of dark blond hair to settle the tufts that were sticking up at odd angles from the removal of his head gear. He brushed at his bangs which hung just above his eyebrows, annoyed at how long his hair had become. He tilted his boyish face back, his dark blue eyes narrowing at how dimmed the chandeliers above him were.

Must it always be so dark in here? He wondered as he returned his gaze forward, tucking the head gear under his arm as he marched forward down the wide marbled corridor, turning his gaze every now and again on the large red tapestries that adorned both sides of the walls. No matter how many times he had wandered down this hallway, he was still in awe of the displays of Reikai events transpired onto the thick fabric. Tales of great deeds and worthy heroes. All part of the great war with the other realms.

At last he reached an intersection, turning right down another corridor lined with doors on each side. But the man's gaze remained fixed on a rather large set of doors at the end of the hallway, his boots making no sound even as he quickened his pace, stopping at last before the lightly hued oak doors. Gently but firmly, the young man pushed the doors open revealing a open library as large as the temple he had seen and observed earlier.

The massive room boasted a magnificent collection of books upon enormous oak shelves that stretched from ceiling to floor and were situated along the entire perimeter of the room save for the entryway and the two huge brick fireplaces within the far center wall. The floor was adorned with massive oriental rugs as richly hued in dark red as the furniture that decorated the room. The man closed the door softly behind him, walking past the large oval oak table that rested in the center, heading towards the lone figure resting within the confines of a rather large chair, his white panted legs stretched out upon an ottoman. The man's gaze was cast downward, absorbed in his reading, his silver tinted hair pulled back into a ponytail which swished slightly as he turned to watch his visitor approach, his hands snapping closed the blue book within his grasp, his emerald eyes meeting the reverent blue ones of the young man who quickly fell to one knee and bowed his head respectfully.

"Elder Torandai I bring you news from Ningenkai."

Torandai gave a sigh of mild exasperation as he studied the man before him. Although he was well over 16,000 years old and his aura gave off a wisdom and power that was ancient, by human standards he would appear to be only in his early forties. Despite his long life and the responsibilities his job entailed, he detested his subordinates bowing down before him, as if he were to be revered. He found such exercises silly and pointless. Even though he had adopted the young man two years ago, Torandai had yet to cure him of such silly practices. "Yoh," He began. "How many times do I have to tell you, you don't have to kneel before me. I'm just a man, not God. Not even close. So rise my boy and tell me what you've found out."

Yoh rose to his feet, but the reverent look remained on his face as he spoke. "But elder you were the one who saved me after my village was destroyed by Yakumo's attack three years ago. You took me when no one else would. How can I not bow down to you after all the generosity you've shown me?"

Torandai frowned, not wanting to dwell on that accursed man's name. "You are my adopted son Yoh, not some groveling employee. Even my employees don't bow so why the hell would my son?"

Yoh lowered his head, hurt by the elder's words. "I'm just trying to be respectful father."

The silver haired man sighed, relaxing his features. "I'm not angry Yoh, I just want you to stop acting like an underling." He began, turning away from the blond to stare into the roaring fire to his right. "Could you do that for me?"

Yoh brought his head up and nodded. "I will try father." He replied.

"Pray take a seat and tell me what you've discovered my son." Torandai said softly, motioning Yoh to sit in the seat across from him.

Yoh did so, sitting attentively within the cushioned confines, resting his hands and his head gear upon his lap as he began to speak. "It appears that Elder Kagone's suspicions were correct." He began, pausing when he noticed the look of surprise flash upon the older man's countenance.

"Is that so?" Torandai said softly, trying not to smirk at the mention of his fellow elder's name. Although he respected Kagone he did not care much for the man. The open disdain he held for Ningenkai and Makai irritated him. And the arrogance of the man had caused Torandai on more than one occasion to berate the junior elder for his callousness. Kagone had been the one to recommend the descendent of Raizen's elimination, claiming him a threat to Reikai. At first Torandai had agreed, not knowing the facts behind Yusuke's ascension to the powerful S Class of spiritual energy. When at last Torandai came to know the truth he had rescinded the order and thus earned the extreme dislike of Kagone who thought Koenma should have been removed. "In what way?" He asked.

"The ferry girl called Botan has indeed fallen in love with someone from outside the spirit realm and I must say I was surprised to find out it was one of Koenma's spirit detectives. The human/demon Kurama."

Torandai cocked an eyebrow. He hadn't expected that. But then again, he should have known something like this would happen, understood the temptation that lingered for those who had daily relations with Ningenkai and Makai. Segregated from the rest of the population, what choice did those ferrymen and women have but to seek love and comfort in the arms of someone from Makai or Ningenkai. Still, if what Yoh said was true, if the ferry girl had indeed become involved with the spirit detective then her fate would have to be decided by the elders, by him. And knowing the truth behind the red haired man only made the case more damnable. The funny thing was Torandai didn't want to interfere.

"And how do you know it is Kurama she loves?" He asked, wishing he didn't have to deal with such things. Somehow it didn't seem his place. Still he had to know so he sat quietly as Yoh related his findings, what he had seen and heard, the strange behavior of the deity in Reikai. How she had cried out the spirit detective's name and rushed to be at his side in Ningenkai. The pain and grief exhibited by Botan, the concern of Kurama's friends and the incredible power the kitsune had exhibited before collapsing into Botan's arms. When he had finished, the elder seemed pale as a ghost, the blue book clutched tightly in his hands, snapping his gaze over to Yoh who addressed him.

"Elder .. I mean father are you all right?"

Torandai seemed to have lost his voice as he stared upon the countenance of his adopted child. If what the boy said is true, then the only way Botan could have sensed Kurama's distress from an entirely different realm would be due to a spiritual bond. A soul mate bond. A bond that even the elders could not break. I can't do this. I can't deny such a bond. The elder thought with trepidation. But I can't let this relationship continue. The law forbids it. He added mentally, swallowing and wincing at how dry his throat had become. No doubt if Kagone knew the uncertainty and hesitation the head elder felt, he would merely scoff and proclaim Torandai's emotions as a sign of weakness.

And that's how Torandai felt. Weak and uncertain. Ever since Kagone had come to him, demanding an investigation into the ferry girl's activities, the elder had been troubled. Too many things from the past were coming back to haunt him. Things the elders had done that Torandai wasn't proud of. But I was just protecting Reikai. I was saving our people. He argued mentally, shaking his head as Yoh repeated his question. Torandai's lips twisted into a grimace as he spoke. "Not really Yoh." He replied, not elaborating any further as he continued. "Listen carefully to what I'm about to say. " He paused, watching as the young man studied his adopted father with focused eyes. "When Kagone asks what you have discovered, you will tell him nothing of importance. Tell him that the ferry girls were simply doing some research on ancient laws, nothing more than that."

Yoh frowned. "But that would be a lie father. I can't lie."

"It is for the safety of Reikai I ask this of you." Torandai countered. "There is still much we don't know about the spirit detective. Things I would like you to find out."

"You want me to spy on Kurama, become his friend?"

Torandai nodded. "Watch him closely Yoh, do whatever it takes to get close to him, but do not let your true identity be discovered, understand?" He ordered, turning his gaze back to the fireplace.

Yoh seemed puzzled but nodded. "You don't want me to watch Botan then?" He asked, a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Torandai couldn't help but smile. He could understand Yoh's preferring to watch the ferry girl. After all she was quite beautiful and near his son's age. His smile fell, his features growing thoughtful as he shook his head. "No Yoh. For the moment she is to be left alone. But I need to know why the ferry girl chose him. What makes him special in her eyes. Can I count on you Yoh?"

The blond nodded. "Of course." He replied, rising from his seat. "But why is this so important father? Why is it so vital for you to know about Kurama and Botan's relationship?"

Torandai did not speak right away, his eyes riveted on the undulating flames that glowed a brilliant shade of yellow. He didn't have the heart to tell Yoh the truth, the real reason why he was so interested. Just why and how Botan chose to violate Reikai's strictest law, a law a select few knew about. "Simple curiosity my boy. Call it the whim of a foolish old man."

Yoh studied the elder, his features clearly disbelieving the older man's reply, still he relented his questions and let the matter rest. For the moment. "Then I will bid you good night father." He said respectfully, giving the elder a slight bow before walking away.

"Good night Yoh." Torandai said, his eyes still focused on the fire as his adopted son took his leave and left the older man alone to his thoughts.

For the longest time, Torandai sat quietly, lost in the flames that burned before him, troubled at the feelings within his heart. Feelings of dread and remembrance. There had been a time, long ago, when Torandai himself had lost his heart to an outsider, a human woman he had rescued one day while visiting Ningenkai and had grown to love. The elder closed his eyes at the memory, her beautiful face framed in lush strands of ebony hair, her blue eyes friendly and warm and so trusting. So very trusting. "Ania." Torandai whispered.

Even now, 4,000 years later, her features were as clear and bright as the lakes of Reikai. He remembered her touch, her love. Everything. Even ... her death. She was mortal and bound to her eternal fate. Bound to die. Whether from old age or from the ravages of war, she would pass onto the next realm. To a place Torandai could not bring himself to follow. And there was nothing he could do to stop it. No way to end the grief he felt at her passing. When Ania died, part of Torandai had died with her. He had felt bereft. Lost in a sea of torment and dismay that only grew when he discovered something. A relationship that out weighed his own, between two important people from the realms of Reikai and Makai. A relationship that changed the balance between the three realms, plunging Reikai into a bloody war that saw two thirds of it's population annihilated by the more powerful demon soldiers and it was only through the elders and Enma's efforts that Reikai was sealed for the most part away from the two realms.

For many years, Torandai had thought the decisions of the elders to eliminate those involved in the relationship had been the right thing to do. But now, now with these old memories haunting him, the elder began to believe that perhaps they had been too hasty, too judgmental. And now I am paying the price for my deeds. Torandai thought as his eyelids fluttered open. Staring down at the simple blue book in his hand, his emerald orbs suddenly reflected a weariness and sadness he hadn't felt in a long time. He didn't want to do this. Didn't want to be the one to punish one of his own for what was in her heart.

He would trust in his feelings, trust that perhaps this time, lives would not be wasted. In memory of Ania he would do all he could to find out about this relationship between a ferry girl and a human with a Youko soul before he did anything. But he would have to tread carefully. No doubt Kagone would be leery of Yoh's findings. He would talk to Yoh tomorrow and inform him to be on the look out for Kagone's spies. Weary from all these thoughts, Torandai rose with a sigh, carrying the book with him, before placing it back within the book shelf, the words Common Laws of Reikai glowing faintly in gold letters as the elder backed away and walked slowly out of the room.

*********

Botan pushed open the French doors of her balcony, as silent as a mouse, the moonlight casting the darkened room with a dim glow. Still, even with this light, the deity's eyes struggled to adjust to the blackness that surrounded her as she walked softly inside. She turned back around, closing the doors quietly before pivoting around to make her way towards the opposite side of the room where her lamp rested beside her bed only to stop midway as the unmistakable click of a lamp switch reverberated around the room, the interior instantly flooded with white light and exposing the ferry girl's position.

Like a deer caught in the headlights, Botan's eyes were widened in surprise and fear. Frozen to her spot, she dare not look at the figure who stood outside her peripheral vision, her heart leaping into her throat at the thought that she had been discovered by Koenma. That he would punish her for leaving the sanctity of Reikai to be with Kurama. Botan's mind whirled with a mirage of excuses and reasons only to snap her head to the side when she heard a soft feminine chuckle nearby.

The fear drained away, replaced by relief at the sight that met her eyes. "Oh, it's you Ayame." She said with a sigh. "I thought for a moment Koenma had discovered where I had gone and was waiting to punish me for my transgression."

Ayame gave an apologetic smile. "Sorry to frighten you but I had to sit here and watch for your return."

Botan looked at her in puzzlement. "Why?" She asked.

"Well," Ayame began as she took a seat upon the wicker chair to the right of the bed, closing her eyes a satisfied smirk gracing her features. "I told Koenma that since you were feeling under the weather you had retired early to your quarters and did not wish to be disturbed."

"And what did he say?"

Ayame's smirk widened. "He didn't believe me at first. I literally had to run past him to block his entrance to your room. He tried to get past me but when I explained to him the exact nature of your illness his features paled and he literally took off running back the way he came."

Botan smiled, walking over to her closet to pick out her pajamas. "And what exactly did you say to him?" She asked, wondering what would cause the toddler lord to go scurrying away when what he wanted was to make sure Botan was where she was supposed to be.

"Simply that you were suffering from PMS and wished to be left alone."

A giggle erupted from Botan's throat as she pulled out a long silk nightgown the color of snow. Turning around, the deity held the gown in her hand, folding it over her right arm as she gazed upon her friend with amused eyes. "Oh my, I wish I had been here to witness that!" She said, another giggle erupting from her throat as she imagined her employer's face draining from color as he tore down the corridor to the safety of his office.

Ayame giggled as well. "Let me tell you it was something to see!" She said, the sounds of their laughter filtering out into the hallway, reaching the sensitive ears of the blue oni, George, who was walking past, his muscular arms filled with paperwork the toddler lord wanted shredded.

With a shake of his head, George continued onward, not wanting to know what the ferry girls were laughing about. What is it with females and giggling? He wondered with a sigh as he headed off in the direction of the paper destruction office, leaving the corridor empty once more.

"So Botan," Ayame began after their laughter died down. "Tell me about what happened earlier, Is Kurama okay?"

Botan's features grew pained, her gaze distant as she spoke. "For the moment." She replied, lowering herself down onto the edge of her bed. "I was so scared Ayame. So scared that I .. " She paused, biting her lower lip as she thought back to that terrifying moment when she had felt him dying. "That I would have to escort him to Reikai. God, I've never been so frightened in my life." She added, relaying the events to the dark haired woman who sat silently and patiently.

Ayame studied her friend, sorrow building within her heart. This separation is wreaking havoc within her soul. The dark haired ferry girl thought as she rose up and placed a reassuring hand on the deity's shoulder. "But he is okay now, is he not?"

Botan gave a nod, her gaze still cast downward, her bruised heart rendering her lips silent. She had spent such little time with him. Such precious little time. Still, she had seen him again. Had caressed his face and felt the love within his heart even if it were but a passing moment, she knew to treasure it. Even if it broke her heart further.

"Botan?" Ayame spoke in a concerned tone, removing her hand from the deity's shoulder to wave it in front of her face. "Are you there? Botan?"

The blue haired ferry girl blinked slowly, coming out of her muse to tilt her head up. With a sad smile Botan spoke. "I'm sorry Ayame. I must be tired. Healing Kurama used up most of my spiritual energy and now I can barely keep my eyes open."

Ayame nodded, retreating backwards slowly towards the door as she spoke. "Then I'll just leave you to get some rest." She said with a kind smile, reaching out to turn the knob of the bedroom door.

"Ayame?" Botan said softly, causing the dark haired woman to stop halfway through the opened doorway.

"Yes Botan?"

"Thanks for covering for me." Botan said with a grateful smile.

Ayame returned the smile. "That's what friends are for Botan." She replied. "Good night." She added before closing the door.

"Good night."

Botan watched her friend go then rose slowly off her bed, her motions automatic as she headed into her small bathroom to change into her nightgown. A few moments later, the deity returned to her bed, turning off the light before pulling the covers back. Botan settled into bed, wrapping the comforter around her tightly, her eyelids growing heavy as sleep claimed her body. But in her mind, Kurama still roamed and Botan followed. A willing participant in a world that no one, not even the elders could claim.

******

Kurama walked out of the Business and Law Building of Shokubutsugaku University, a single piece of paper in his right hand as he ambled quickly but gracefully down the concrete steps, his black dress shoes hitting the pavement walkway silently as he turned right and began to stride purposefully towards the massive building some distance ahead.

The kitsune's emerald eyes remained focused on the white slip of paper clutched in his hand, the edges fluttering about from the cool breeze that swirled around him. Absently, he adjusted the forest green backpack slung upon his left shoulder when he felt the book laden bag begin to slip down the smooth sleeve of his pull over black wind breaker. Another gust of wind blew, sneaking past the stiff collar of the jacket and caressing the exposed flesh of his neck but Kurama paid no mind, his thoughts focused on the assignment given by his Business Law professor prior to their adjournment.

Hmm. Kurama murmured mentally, smiling at what his eyes read, his enhanced senses allowing him to continue his reading as he artfully dodged more than one passerby, who would stop and stare at him in slight awe and disbelief at his maneuvers before shaking their heads and continuing on. Have the first five chapters read by next meeting and be prepared for a test on the contents. Not too hard. He thought with a nod as he folded the paper twice before sliding it into the side pocket of his jacket, his eyes traveling back upright, focusing on the building some distance still ahead. The Arts and Humanities building where his last class of the day, Western Civilization, was located.

Kurama brought his left hand up, checking the time. When he noticed he still had twenty minutes before the start of class, the kitsune slowed his pace, enjoying the unobstructed rays of the sun. Even though a chill hung in the air, he noticed several students had congregated upon the lush green lawns of the university, laughing and talking. Some sat alone under one of the many enormous maple trees left standing after the construction of the private university, absorbed in books or simply partaking in nature's splendor. Normal behavior for college students. So why don't I feel like joining them? Kurama wondered as he continued onward, his thoughts drifting to the reasons why. Because his heart was heavy with sadness. Because what he wanted most was far away, in a different realm. He wanted to be with Botan. He wanted ...

"Hey Minamino!"

Kurama stopped his progress, turning his head to the side, his features brightening slightly as his eyes recognized the figure approaching him. "Hello Yukikawa, it's good to see you again." The red haired man said with a smile as his emerald orbs met with the dark brown ones of a tall, lean man with hair the color of the sun.

The man grinned at Kurama as he stopped a few feet to his left, his hands stuck in the pockets of his red wind breaker, his boyish features full of an energy that matched the tone of his voice as he spoke. "Long time no see Minamino!" He began, shifting his blue jeaned legs back and forth as he talk, genuinely happy to see his friend on campus. "You look about the same as when I saw you at our graduation ceremony. So what have you been up to? Still involved in sports I hope?" He asked, studying Kurama with a questioning glance.

Kurama shook his head. "I am afraid not Akira." He replied. " Although my advisor attempted to convince me to sign up for the university Kendo team, claiming they needed all the help they could get. I told him I never was any good with a sword."

Akira snorted, not believing a word of it. "Something tells me you're lying through your teeth Minamino. " He said with a shake of his head. "But your advisor was right. Basketball, soccer, baseball. You name it, this university needs all the good players it can get." The tall man's features brightened as a thought came to his mind. "You know you should try out for the basketball team Suuichi. You were one of our best players at Meiou. Your talents would help us out a lot."

Kurama smiled. During his senior year, and at the insistence of his mother to relax and have a little fun, the kitsune had tried out for the varsity basketball team and had earned the starting position at power forward, helping to lead the team to the high school finals. And during that time, Kurama had developed a casual friendship with the other players, Akira included. I should have known he would ask me to do that. He thought as his features turned contemplative. "When do try outs begin?"

"In a couple weeks." The taller man replied. "Although so far many students haven't been very interested in participating" He added with a frown. "But what can I expect from people intent on studying rather than improving the sports image of the university?"

"Indeed." The kitsune said dryly.

If Akira noticed the slight mock Kurama had thrown at him, he made no sign. Instead he switched gears, asking, "So Suuichi, where are you headed?"

Kurama gave a polite smile as he turned and began to walk. "To a Western Civilization class. You?"

The taller man's grin widened. "Me too. With Professor Seta right?"

Kurama nodded.

"Awesome!" Yukikawa replied, about to say something else when his eyes spied the approach of a pretty brown haired woman coming towards them. Akira straightened his frame and gave her a dashing smile which the girl ignored, her chestnut eyes riveted instead on Kurama, literally doing a double take as she passed.

Akira's smile fell, his gaze returning to Kurama. The blond shook his head in puzzlement at how unaffected the kitsune seemed to the looks women kept giving him. Just like in high school. The man thought as he asked, "How can you do that Suuichi?"

The red head frowned. "Do what?" He asked as he picked up the pace towards the Humanities building.

Akira walked to his left , matching the kitsune stride for stride down the pathway. "Be unaffected by those looks women give you? I know you like women so how is it you can just ignore their attention? I don't get it."

Kurama wanted to roll his eyes but he didn't. "Do you really want to know Akira?"

The blond nodded.

"It is because my heart already belongs to someone."

Akira raised an eyebrow. "Really? Who?"

"I believe you've met her before." Kurama replied.

"Hmm ... " Akira murmured, racking his brain to think of the women he had seen with Kurama in the course of the kitsune's three years at Meiou High. "Oh wait, ..." He said quickly, his eyes brightening. "Is it that beautiful blue haired girl I saw you with at graduation? The one cheering louder for you than anyone in the auditorium when your name was called?"

Kurama looked over at Akira, his opinion of the blond rising, impressed at his memory. "Yes. The very one." He said.

Akira gave the kitsune a sly grin. "Man Suuichi, you sure know how to pick 'em." He said, nudging his elbow into the left arm of Kurama as they stopped in front of the steps that led to the entrance of the Humanities building. "She is a hottie."

A dark look came over the red head's features as he glared at the taller man out of the corner of his eye.

Akira raised his hands in a 'I give up gesture', backing away slightly as he noticed flecks of gold within the emerald orbs of his friend. "Easy Minamino, I meant no offense. I'm sure you didn't fall in love with her based on looks alone."

Kurama relaxed his features. "It's alright Akira." He said softly. "And your right, I did not fall in love with her solely on the basis of her appearance. Although truth be told she is rather pleasing to the eyes." He added with a smile, signaling all was forgiven.

Akira let out his breath. "So when do I get to meet her properly?" He asked, walking up the steps, Kurama right behind.

A pained look came over the kitsune's features, one that did not go unnoticed by the blond. "Whoa, what's with the sad look Suuichi? She didn't dump you did she?"

Kurama shook his head. "No." He said softly as he reached out towards the handle of the glass door before them, pulling gently to allow them entrance inside.

A knowing look came over Yukikawa's face. "Ah. I get it. Her parents don't approve of you do they?"

The red head looked over at him in surprise and mild amusement. "Something like that."

"Bummer man." Akira said with a shake of his head, frowning as he spoke. "But how can they not like you? You're smart, well to do and polite? What's not to like eh?" He asked light heartedly.

"Indeed." Kurama replied with a smile, his eyes checking the numbers outside the rooms as he searched along the hallway for their class. After about a minute they found it on the first floor, Akira letting out a soft whistle at the sheer size of the room as they entered.

"Wow. This is the biggest class I've been to yet." The tall blond said as his brown eyes scanned the room.

Three columns of seating lay before them. One to the left, one in the center and one to the right. Within each column, ten rows of long wooden tables the color of dust were stretched from one aisle way to the beginning of the next one and all situated at a slight incline, much like a movie theater. At the bottom of the room, a large black teacher's desk sat, a oak podium off to it's right. Behind that, an enormous green chalkboard stretched along the entirety of the back wall, numerous scribblings gracing it's face from whatever class had been here prior.

Bright lighting made everyone visible, the room nearly two thirds full with students preparing for the appearance of Professor Seta and ,to Kurama's relief, were paying no attention to the newest arrivals.

"This must be a popular class." Akira murmured through the side of his mouth as he searched for empty seats to commandeer. Spying what looked like a promising spot he pointed and said, "What about over here Minamino?"

Kurama cast his gaze over to where the taller man was chucking his left thumb to the side and nodded. "That will do." He replied, following the blond across the black aisle where several seats remained unoccupied along the top left row. Taking a seat, Kurama let out a small sigh, sliding the book bag off his arm and setting it softly upon the table before reaching up to pull his wind breaker off his torso, revealing a light blue oxford shirt pressed and clean, the top button left undone. He folded the jacket once than laid it over his seat, turning his attention back on his bag which he unzipped and reached inside, pulling out a neon blue notebook and a pen before re zipping and setting the bag on the ground. Kurama sat slightly relaxed, his black dress panted legs a small distance apart from each other as he leaned a little back in his seat and waited.

Akira and the kitsune engaged in small talk for a few moments, the blond noticing a couple of people staring at them from the top aisle to their right. Frowning, he turned to Kurama and asked, "Hey Minamino do you know those guys?"

Kurama leaned back further, his emerald eyes meeting with a pair of rather disquieting gray ones that refused to look away. The kitsune frowned, sensing nothing abnormal about the dark haired, lean man staring at him from a short distance away. But the hostility reflected upon his handsome features was unsettling. Why does he look at me as if he hates me? I don't even know him. He wondered as his gaze soon caught sight of another pair of eyes. Eyes that told a different story. Belonging to a female with long black hair pulled back into a pony tail and piercing violet eyes framed within a set of black wire glasses. Eyes that lingered upon his face before trailing down and back up again, as if she were stripping him in her mind. Kurama's frown deepened and he couldn't help but shiver slightly, a feeling of violation filling his soul at the barely restrained lust within her steady gaze.

Gray eyes noticed this and leaned forward, whispering something so soft, Kurama could not pick it up. The woman however did, her eyes snapping away from his to glare angrily up at the man who leaned back into his chair and crossed his arms. The two stared silently at each other before the woman relented her gaze and returned her attention to the chalkboard below.

Odd. The kitsune thought as he too turned his gaze back on the front of the classroom. Odd indeed. He added mentally as he watched a thin, wiry man in a pair of black dress pants and a white button down shirt amble cheerfully down the steps, a black book bag in his right hand, his boyish features literally glowing with a youthful enthusiasm to match the students that surrounded him as he strode purposefully up to the teacher's desk, dropping his bag onto the top before whirling around and introducing himself.

"Good afternoon class." He began in a booming voice that belied his small stature. "My name is Hido Seta and I will be your Western Civilization teacher for the next fifteen weeks. And, as I'm sure most of you are beginning to find out about some of your classes, this class meets twice a week rather than the usual once a week that most universities offer." He paused, making sure everyone was paying attention to him before continuing. "As to why , well let's just say that the administration has been re figuring parts of the courses offered here at Shokubutsugaku to coincide with the government's 'Rainbow Plan' in order to cater to the diversifying needs of today's students. As this is a history class, it is hoped you will gain value on the perspectives of others and come to appreciate how different cultures became what they are today." He said, clasping his hands together, his brown eyes twinkling with excitement as he spoke. "Well enough with the small talk, let's get down to business shall we."

And with that, Professor Seta began to outline his goals for the semester.

An hour and a half later, Kurama gathered his things and placed them back into his book bag, rising up as he reached over to grab his jacket. Sliding it deftly on, he slung the back pack over his right shoulder and waited for Akira to slid his jacket on before starting back down the aisle. Kurama's emerald orbs sought out the two that had been staring at him earlier only to raise an eyebrow when he found them gone.

Akira noticed the strange look upon the kitsune's face and frowned. "What is it Suuichi? Something bothering you?"

"Those two that were staring earlier. They're gone."

"So?"

Kurama was about to say something else when he felt a sudden pinprick of pressure inside his mind. A familar sensation, a mental violation which the kitsune quickly squashed, surrounding his mind with an impenetrable fortress of walls, barricading his thoughts within, safe from harm. The feeling vanished once again and Kurama let out a sigh. But his eyes remained narrowed and his gait was defensive as he spoke. "It's nothing Akira. Let's get out of here shall we?"

The blond nodded, slinging his black back pack over his left shoulder before leading the way out of the room and into the hallway.

The two men exited the building, saying their good-byes and going their separate ways, Kurama to the small parking lot across campus while Akira headed back to the dorms. Both unaware they were being watched from above.

"So Ailia," Ren began as his hardened gray eyes followed the retreating form of Kurama, "What do you think of the kitsune's friend?"

"Just another stupid boy, like all the others around here." Ailia spat in disgust, ripping her glasses off her face as she folded them and shoved them roughly into the pocket of her black leather jacket.

Ren shifted his gaze over to the raven haired woman and smiled. "Testy today are we? May I ask why?"

But Ailia did not answer his question. She was too angry to comment and too wary of what her leader would say. Damn that fox! She snarled mentally. How in the hell did he learn mental defenses so damn quickly! She was frustrated at her inability to reach inside his mind, to probe his thoughts. And this situation worried her, her lust for him consuming her reason, overriding the needs of the mission. Of their ultimate goal. But Ailia didn't care. She wanted him. She wanted Kurama.

"Don't even contemplate it." Ren said sharply, reading her mind through the facial gestures the dark haired woman was exhibiting. "You know quite well what I told you Ailia. Kurama is not to be harassed. Not until the time is right." he said, his tone softening slightly as he added, "Besides, there are plenty of young men around here to have your way with. Men that would be more than willing to share their bed with you if you ask."

I don't want them, I want him. She thought but did not say. Instead she relented, giving him a smirk. "I am aware of that Ren." She said, turning back towards him. "And I'm aware that you don't plan on leaving Kurama alone either. So tell me," She paused walking up to him, crossing her arms as she studied him. "What do you have in store for him?"

Ren smiled, the wind playing with his bangs as it swirled about, tugging at the hood of his dark black jacket and his black dress slacks which fluttered slightly as the wind continued to blow. "You will see Ailia. You will see." He said in a deep voice, his gray eyes full of malice as he turned and walked back the way he had come, Ailia close behind.