Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I thank all who take the time to read my work, but a couple reviews would be nice! Pretty please?*Pout*

A/N: ~~~~~ Denotes flashback sequence.

Chapter 17--Revelation

Black clouds hung low above the vast territory of Mukuro, shrouding the land in an oppressive darkness and bringing with it the threat of an impending storm. Lightning flashed in blinding bursts of white, filling the air with the smell of ozone. Thunder roared, shaking the ground with it's naturalistic fury as a cold, steady breeze swept across an open field where two figures stood on opposite sides of each other, separated by an ocean of grass. The long, thin, green blades ungulated in time with the wind that danced in and about it's fragile structure as if the force of mother nature would at any moment uproot their precarious hold of the black dirt below. But the power of the growing storm paled in comparison to the two people below who stared calmly at each other before the taller of the two spoke.

"Are you ready Hiei?" Mukuro called out, her features serious though her tone was almost playful, her blue eyes transfixed on the compact frame of her pupil.

Hiei smirked, excitement burning within his red orbs and coursing through his veins, paying no heed to the wind that swirled around him, tugging at his spiky hair and his loose fitting black uniform. He relished the challenge of squaring off against Mukuro. Relished pitting his strength and cunning against her own. True he had lost more times than he cared to count. But the point of these exercises was not about winning. The point was to grow stronger, to succeed in learning everything Mukuro had to offer him. Because one day, she would step down and Hiei would take her place as ruler of her domain. And Hiei had no intention of letting her down. Not now, not ever. He owed her his life and his time. For that he would give his all.

The fire demon said nothing in response to Mukuro's question. Instead his actions spoke for him as he brought up his right hand, bending his forearm over his shoulder until his fingers clasped the hilt of his katana. With speed and precision, Hiei unsheathed his weapon and vanished from view.

Mukuro's eyes narrowed slightly, smirking at his silent tactic. Her senses were on full alert but to her surprise she was not aware of his chi until the very last second. In the blink of an eye, the tall woman disappeared, the flash of cold steel slicing through the air where she had been.

Hiei frowned as his blade sunk deeply into the soft ground, the force of his attack causing a small rift to form beneath, splitting the dirt into a foot wide valley that stretched for several yards. It was not the fact that his attack had missed that caused his confusion. Rather the fact that he had almost caught her that troubled him. Why didn't she evade sooner? He wondered. The fire apparition had no time to ponder the reasons as a tremendous blow struck him in the back causing him to loose his hold on his sword as he was lifted off his feet and sent hurtling forward at an ungodly speed. Hiei gritted his teeth as his small body crashed hard onto the ground, the earth literally torn up as he skidded to a stop several hundred feet away. Ignoring the throbbing pain radiating throughout his entire muscular skeletal system, the fire apparition rolled to the side, narrowly missing the crushing kick of Mukuro's booted foot. Hiei reacted instantly, kicking his left leg forward and connecting with the back of the tall woman's calves.

Mukuro's knees buckled from the force of the impact as she fell forward, catching her weight onto her outstretched palms. But before her protégé could deliver another blow, she executed a back flip with such force she landed several feet away. He's gotten better since I tested him last. The female apparition thought with a prideful smile as she watched Hiei rise to his feet.

Rain began to fall, mixing with the dirt of Makai, bathing the two demons in a constant flow of hard, cold water. A flash of lightning raced among the clouds, illuminating the smug features of the Hiei and the strangely calm visage of Mukuro.

"Your speed has improved since the last training session Hiei." Mukuro said as she walked closer to him. "As have your evasive skills."

Hiei backpedaled slightly, adopting a defensive position as he spoke. "Then I guess I should stop being so evasive." He said in a gruff voice.

Mukuro stopped, frowning at his comment. What are you up to Hiei? She wondered. Any time before, the fire apparition would have attacked without pause, not allowing Mukuro the opportunity to build spiritual energy or gain an advantage. Her eyes strayed to the handsome man's face, the look of concentration so intense, so riveting it literally took her breath away. His strength was evident in the rising power of his energy and Mukuro knew she should back away. But her legs wouldn't obey her. She was fascinated by him. Fascinated by his potential and his determination. So much so that she didn't even see the blow coming.

Hiei charged full speed at her, his right fist aglow with a hellish red flame that crackled with an intensity that matched his voice as he shouted, "Fist of the Mortal Flame!" In one move, his fist connected solidly into the stomach of Mukuro, knocking her backwards with such force she all but disappeared from view.

The dark haired man stumbled, the flame around his fist vanishing instantly as he dropped his arm to the side. His features turned panicked and horror stricken as he gaped in disbelief at what had just happened. Never in a million years had he thought he would connect, believing the female apparition would block his attack and counter with one of her own. But why hadn't she stopped his attack? Oh God! What have I done?! He cried mentally as he flew forward towards the sounds of branches snapping in the wake of Mukuro's body crashing into the woods hundreds of yards away. His heart was beating hard against his chest, his thoughts full of fear and anguish. For one of the few times in his life, he was genuinely frightened. Frightened at the thought of hurting her.

He knew this was all part of the training. Bumps and bruises came with the territory, but he had never before hit Mukuro at full force and now the mere thought of the damage he could have inflicted tore at his heart. With one last burst of speed, he reappeared behind the orange haired woman, letting out a loud "oomph" as her body slammed into his. Wrapping his arms protectively around her, he hugged her close to him, gritting his teeth as he took the brunt of the blows from the remaining branches until at last their progress was stopped by a rather large tree trunk. Hiei gasped from the impact, nearly loosing his grip as his vision wavered from the knock to the back of his head. Still, he held on as he slid down the trunk, landing painfully onto his feet before his legs gave way and he sunk onto his back side, Mukuro cradled in his arms.

Hiei fought for air, his breathing labored as his eyes shifted down to the woman resting motionlessly against his heaving chest. "Mukuro?" He managed to say in-between gulps of air.

When the female apparition did not respond, Hiei loosened his hold, bringing his right hand up to gently tilt Mukuro's face towards him.

"Mukuro?" Hiei repeated softly, concern evident in his features and voice as he studied her slack features, his hand betraying his heart as he gently caressed her left cheek. Realizing what he was doing, he quickly retracted his hand. What the hell is wrong with me? He wondered. Here he was cradling his teacher in his arms like a lover when what he needed to do was release her and assess her injuries.

As gently as he could, Hiei released his hold, lowering the female demon onto the ground. Water continued to pour from the heavens, drenching the dark haired man and his sensei with a barrage of icy fluid. Hiei reached up to his water stained face and began to rub the rain off, annoyed by the cold rivulets that never ceased their flow. His keen eyes trailed downward along Mukuro's prone form, stopping at the exposed flesh of her abdomen, the dark clothing still smoldering slightly from the flamed attack. He leaned down for a closer look, noticing a few strange marks upon the scorched skin. Recognition came to him, anger replacing fear. They were scars. Old and deep. Wounds suffered during Mukuro's tormented and tortured childhood. And now she had a new scar. Burnt flesh. And from the one she trusted most. "I'm sorry." He whispered, closing his eyes as he reached out with his right hand and gently covered the wound. His eyelids snapped open a few seconds later as he felt Mukuro's hand cover his own.

"It .. wasn't your fault Hiei." Mukuro's voice cracked, barely audible above the roar of thunder that erupted around them.

The dark haired man's softened features hardened. Dammit! I thought she was out cold! He cried mentally. He did not want her to see him like this. Weak and ... emotional. Even though he cared deeply for her, he did not want her to get too close to him. Did not want her to know just how much he loved her. Still he did not pull his hand away even as he spoke in a berating tone. "Why didn't you block that attack Mukuro? You must have seen it coming?"

Mukuro did not answer. Instead she only smiled as she struggled to rise only to wince in pain, her body falling backward.

Hiei's cold facade cracked. He gasped in worry, reaching out with his free hand to stop her fall, pulling her upright slowly until she was resting against his chest once more. "Mukuro?" He murmured, studying her in concern.

The female apparition's eyelids fluttered open, her head resting against his shoulder.

Hiei tried to ignore the way this closeness was affecting him, even as her surprisingly warm breath continued to brush against his exposed neck as she spoke in a slow, pained voice.

"Do you really want to know ... Why I didn't stop your attack?"

Hiei said nothing as he tore his gaze away from her. He continued to hold her, afraid to speak. Afraid he would say something he would regret. He didn't want to tell her how frightened he was. How guilty he felt. "Not really." He said, his tone gruff. "But I'm sure you will tell me anyway."

Mukuro smiled, not believing his tough guy facade for one minute. "It was ... Because I was lost .." She began her voice trailing off as she shifted upwards more, so that now they were almost facing each other.

"What?" Hiei murmured in confusion, his brow furrowed, diverting his eyes to the side away from her. "What do you mean lost?"

"I was lost in your soul Hiei. In your spiritual energy. In ... you."

"I don't understand." Hiei replied, turning back towards her, daring to glance at his teacher, in the one woman who had accepted him with out question. The woman who had saved his soul and had given him a purpose, a goal to strive for. A reason to be. "How can you be lost inside of my soul Mukuro?"

The lean woman reached out with her left hand and brushed her fingers against the dark haired man's right cheek. "Let me show you in a way you might understand." She said tenderly, leaning forward while pulling the fire demon's face gently towards her until their lips touched.

Hiei's eyes widened in surprise, a jolt of electricity racing through his body at the contact between them. He had never experienced anything like this before. True, he had seen such things practiced between couples in both the human and the demon world and knew of the connotations. This was a physical expression of emotion, of love. Feelings Hiei was just beginning to understand. Within seconds of their contact, he reacted, wrapping his arms around Mukuro all the while deepening the kiss as he pulled her closer to him.

A gasp of pain escaped from the female demon's lips as her wound was crushed against the dark haired man's torso.

Immediately, Hiei let her go, pulling away in realization that he had again hurt her. His shocked gaze tilted downward, frowning at the exposed flesh that began to seep. "That looks bad Mukuro." He said, his words reaching the ears of his sensei who shrugged them off.

"I'm ... okay ..." She said, letting her breath out slowly before returning her attention back on the dark haired man's face, preparing to kiss him again.

Hiei's frown remained fixed, his eyes still on the injury. The moment shared between them was lost now to a more pressing need in the fire apparition's mind. The need to get Mukuro out of the rain and back to her compound where he could attend to the burn. "That wound needs tending." He said matter of factly, rising up to his feet, stretching out his hand for Mukuro to take. "Don't you agree?"

A wounded look flared within Mukuro's blue orbs as she looked away from the fire demon's face to his pro offered hand. When she did not reply, Hiei wondered if he had said or done something wrong. "Mukuro?"

The female apparition rose slowly to her feet, ignoring Hiei's hand. "I'm not a weakling Hiei. I can take care of myself without your help." She said coolly, walking away from the confused man who watched her go for a few seconds before catching up to her.

"What the hell did I do to upset you so?" He asked as calmly as he could.

Mukuro's features were impassive, unreadable. "I'm not upset Hiei." She lied softly, quickening her pace. "Let's just go back to the compound."

"I don't believe ... " Hiei didn't get a chance to finish as the female demon stopped, whirling around on him, her voice as cold and hard as the sword still stuck in the ground in front of them.

"I said it's nothing. Drop it okay?"

Hiei grew silent, lagging slightly behind her when it seemed evident his mentor wanted nothing to do with him at the moment. Her behavior was adding to his growing confusion. This game of love they seemed to have begun was full of pitfalls and rules. Things completely foreign to the fire demon's life. I need answers. He thought as he reached out to reclaim his lost weapon, sliding it back into it's sheath before tilting his head back, allowing the rain to wash over him. And who else could answer those questions than his best friend. The one man who might understand what Hiei was going through. I will go see Kurama tomorrow. Perhaps he could tell me what the hell it was I did wrong. He added mentally, lowering his head, his features determined as he marched onward behind Mukuro to the compound and his room.

*******

Kurama leaned back in his black office chair, stretching his arms above his head as he let out a yawn. He had just finished chapter seven of his Botany textbook, the last of his homework, and was in need of a little relaxation. Problem was, Kurama couldn't unwind. His mind was preoccupied. Several things had happened in his first two weeks at Shokubutsugaku, little things that puzzled him. For one thing, his lack of focus during Western Civilization bothered him immensely. Ever since that incident with those two people who had stared at him that first day, Kurama could never get comfortable. He noticed they had moved to the front on the right side, far away from him and Akira, and yet. And yet, the kitsune felt this unspoken need to keep his guard up. And so he did. But the constant mental block was wearing him down, causing him to not pay attention to Professor Seta's lecture.

Another oddity was the fact that no women were chasing him, ogling him or bothering him with love letters. Not that he cared, but it just seemed ... not normal. They almost seemed afraid to look at him. As if doing so would bring them an instant and painful death. Odd indeed.

Still another thing was his lack of sleep. He kept waking up at odd hours of the night, his dreams filled with the same images over and over again. He found himself fighting in a blinding snowstorm, surrounded by something black and evil. They moved in and out of the snow like shadows, intent on tearing him apart. And always that voice would speak to him, telling him to prepare for death, the shadows breaking through his defenses and consuming his energy, the snow turning red. Red with the kitsune's blood, his world fading to black as his life-force was drained from his body.

Best not to dwell on such matters. Kurama thought with a weary sigh as his gaze shifted over to the portrait of Botan and him, his features softening, his heart lightening at the thought of his beloved. Earlier in the evening he had spoke with her, telling her of his troubled dreams.

At first Botan had scolded him for not telling her earlier, but then her concern and love reached out to him, caressing his mind, soothing his tired heart and soul. He needed her comfort and her love. Just to see her smiling face and hear her voice is enough for me. Kurama thought, reaching out to clasp the picture. He pulled it towards him, a tender look gracing his features as he brought up his right index finger and traced the profile of Botan's face. So beautiful. His mind whispered with a loving smile, memories flooding into his consciousness. Of that day over a year ago when he had asked her to accompany him on a picnic.

~~~~~

"This is a beautiful place Kurama." Botan said in a appreciative voice as she studied her surroundings, taking in the tall, full pines and thick, healthy grass that lay beneath their picnic blanket. The sun reflected off a large, blue lake some distance below them. The tranquil sounds of water lapping against the sandy shore calming and welcoming.

Kurama smiled, glad she approved of the spot. "It is indeed." He said softly, his emerald eyes studying Botan with a fondness the deity could not see since her back was still turned to him.

"I'm happy you invited me to come here today." Botan said softly, turning her attention back on the kitsune who lowered his head to hide the look of affection that was most certainly upon his face.

He began to pick up the last of the plates and cups before placing them in the large wicker picnic basket he had brought to hold their food. "Did you enjoy your meal?" He asked, shutting the case and sitting it to the side out of their way.

Botan smiled. "Very much so." She said. "Who knew you could prepare food so well." She added, her eyes twinkling in merriment.

Kurama arched an eyebrow, trying to remain serious even as he knew she was teasing him.

"My dear lady," He began in an affronted tone, pointing to his chest. "I'll have you know when it comes to food preparation, no one is better than I." He said in an all important voice that brought a giggle out of the mouth of the deity.

Botan laughed, shaking her head at his mock egotistical behavior. "Who knew you could be so silly too?"

Kurama's features softened. "I guess I am a bit too reserved all the time." He said with an almost pained smile.

Botan stopped her chuckle, tilting her head to the side as she studied him. "True." She said softly, reaching out to pat his left hand which was holding his weight. "But then, I like this side of you too."

Kurama looked away from Botan, his gaze traveling down to where her hand rested against his, a tender smile gracing his face. When he looked up again, he noticed Botan looking up at the clouds that floated slowly above them. Disappointment washed over him as Botan took her hand away only to widen his eyes in surprise as she clasped his arm and pointed upward.

"Do you see that cloud over there?" She asked.

Kurama reluctantly tore his gaze away from her face to follow her finger. "Yes." He said a few seconds later. "Why do you ask?"

Botan took a second before answering. "Ever since I could remember, I've always loved to watch clouds go by. As a child I would lay upon the ground and stare at them." She began. pausing to draw in a breath. "I would search the clouds, looking for shapes. Almost like it was a game, you know. To see how many different shapes I could find." She added, turning her head to look at him. "So tell me Kurama, what does that cloud look like to you?"

Kurama studied the cloud, a smile tugging at his lips. "Is it supposed to look like something?" He asked, his voice serious though his eyes were twinkling. "All I see is a blob of white."

Botan slapped him playfully on the shoulder. "Don't tease me Kurama." She said with a smile. "Just tell me. What do you see?"

Kurama smiled, letting out a small laugh before doing what was asked of him. "I see a whale. A humpback whale to be precise, a spout of water gushing from his blow hole."

Botan beamed at him. "That's exactly what I saw!" She exclaimed happily, entwining her arm within his as she rested her head upon the surprised kitsune's shoulder.

Kurama tried to calm the pounding of his heart at the deity's closeness, swallowing hard at the lump that formed in his throat as Botan moved closer still, snuggling against him. He noticed that Botan seemed unaffected by the contact so he settled himself and wrapped his arm around her. Relishing the rare opportunity to hold her close to him.

~~~~~

A knock on the door blasted through Kurama's trip down memory lane, jarring him into the present.

I wonder who that could be?

Setting the photo back down on the desk, Kurama rose out of his seat, frowning as he checked his watch. 10:30 p.m. Who could be visiting me at this time of the night? The kitsune crossed the wooden floor of his living room in measured strides, his white socked feet unhampered by the smooth surface as he closed the gap between him and the white metallic door. With a gentle but firm hand, Kurama turned the knob and opened the door.

Curious emerald eyes met a pair of friendly blue ones as the red haired man studied the figure before him.

It appeared to be a young man close to Kurama's age, with dark blond hair and boyish features, his lean frame clothed in blue jeans and a dark green sweater, and just a tad shorter than the kitsune. Sensing nothing out of the ordinary, Kurama greeted the man with a polite smile. "Can I help you?" He asked.

The young man smiled and gave a slight bow of his head in return. "Forgive the intrusion sir, but I just moved into the apartment across from you and I couldn't help but notice that you were a student at Shokubutsugaku."

Kurama stared at the man impassively, though inwardly he found the man's behavior interesting. Why would he give me a bow of his head? He wondered. He has no idea I'm older than he is? "Are you a student as well?" He asked.

The man nodded, as he brought his gaze upright. "Yes sir. My name is Yoh Hajime and I just transferred here from Tokyo University where I majored in architectural design. But I've always wanted a side degree in horticulture so I decided to come here to achieve that goal."

Kurama gave him a patient smile. "And what can I do for you Mr. Hajime?"

Yoh seemed to falter a little as if he had forgotten what he wanted to ask. No matter how many times the adopted son of Torandai prepared his first conversation with the red haired spirit detective, he still couldn't quite grasp how to go about it without being suspicious.

He had studied the ways of the human world for many years. He had even walked for a short time among them when his village had been destroyed by Yakumo, leaving him the sole survivor of his town. His family, his friends. Everything he had ever loved was gone. Until Torandai reached out telepathically to him and called him to return to his true home. And ever since then the young Reigen had served his father well. Bringing him news of Ningenkai events as they unfolded. It was his expertise with the human world that led to his shadowing of Botan and now this new assignment.

With the wealth of Torandai at his disposal, Yoh had hired a hacker to infiltrate the computer records of Shokubutsugaku, altering things, rearranging them in little ways so that he was now a registered student. He had managed to rent out the other available apartment above the floral shop, not believing his luck. He was as close as he could get to Kurama. Just as his father had instructed. Now I just have to get into his circle of friends He thought with an inward sigh. But how do I do that without being obvious? He wondered as he spoke. "I don't want to bother you, I know it's kind of late and all, but I'm out of green tea and I was wondering if you had any I could borrow?"

"Of course." Kurama said with a nod. "Come inside and I'll get some for you." He added, standing to the side to let Yoh inside.

The Reigen did so, walking to his right near the shoe mat where he bent down and removed his white tennis shoes before placing them upon the brown surface. Yoh looked around, admiring the decor as Kurama closed the door and walked past the seemingly occupied young man and into the open kitchen several feet away.

Yoh watched Kurama pivot around the blue tiled island in the center of the kitchen before heading towards the lightly hued cabinet door near his stainless steel refrigerator to search for the tea. His deep blue eyes shifted back to the confines of the somewhat extravagant apartment, noticing the equally deep blue couch situated along the far wall where a coffee table stained in a light maple color that seemed to match the wood floor that spread throughout the room. A small kitchen table of the same color motif as the floor sat near the kitchen itself. Four matching chairs surrounded it while upon the opposite wall a large TV stand the color of maple stood, centered in front of the couch. The silver bordered large screen TV was turned off. The matching DVD player flashing the time in green neon. And to the right of the TV, a maple hued student desk stood.

Yoh found himself drawn to the desk, his eyes focused not on the various books and binders stored upon it but the picture frame resting at an angle on the work area. Walking slowly over to the photo, the blond reached out and lifted the frame, studying the two portraits in curiosity. Hmm ... Yoh thought as he saw the expression of happiness on the kitsune's face. From what I've studied from his file, Kurama was serious and reserved. This must be a side he only shows to Botan.

"It seems you are in luck Mr. Hajime." Kurama's voice called from the kitchen.

Yoh lowered the frame back onto the desk, his gaze shifting over to the approaching kitsune a genuine smile on his face. "Thank you very much." He said, reaching out to gently take the green colored box from Kurama's outstretched hand.

"It was no trouble." The red haired man replied.

Yoh tilted his head to the side, nodding to the photo on the desk. "She's a pretty lady."

Kurama's gaze followed his motion, his impassive features softening. "Indeed she is."

"Sister?" Yoh asked, knowing full well it was not.

Kurama almost laughed, his lips twisting into a smile as he shook his head. "No."

"Your girlfriend then?"

Kurama frowned, looking from the picture to the blond. "Why do you ask?"

Yoh gave an apologetic smile. "I just wish I had someone who carried a flame of love for me as brightly and fiercely as that woman so obviously does for you."

Kurama looked back at the photo. "You can tell that from this picture?" He asked, the surprise evident in his tone.

"It's in her eyes Mr. ..." Yoh paused, waiting for Kurama to give him his human name. And although he already knew what it was, the kitsune didn't.

"Minamino. Suuichi Minamino." Kurama replied looking back to the young man before him.

Yoh nodded. "As I said, you can see it in her eyes Mr. Minamino. Eyes are the mirror to the soul and what I see there makes me happy and a little envious of you." He paused, another thought coming to him. On that would surely go over well with the kitsune. "And I can see by your response that this woman is so much more than a simple girlfriend to you."

Kurama smiled, impressed by the intuitive abilities of this man. "She is much more than that to me Mr. Hajime. More than you will ever know. " He added, his voice trailing off, lost in thought for a few seconds before the blond spoke.

"I would be honored if you called me by my first name." Yoh said with a polite smile. "That is if I may do the same of you.?"

The red haired man nodded. "That is fine." He conceded.

Yoh held up the tea box and smiled. "Well then Suuichi, I guess I should leave you to your studies or whatever else it was you were doing before I interrupted you." He said, turning to head towards the door.

Kurama watched the young man open the door, pondering whether or not to ask him a question. At last the kitsune decided and spoke. "Do you play basketball Yoh?"

The Reigen stopped, turning to the red haired man, a surprised look upon his face. Could this be it? The in I've been looking for? He wondered as he tried hard not to look to excited. "A little." He admitted neutrally. "Why do you ask?"

"Basketball tryouts for the university start tomorrow at three o'clock in the Tsunaki arena on the west side of campus." Kurama answered. " If you're interested why don't you stop down. I'm sure Akira would be pleased to have a new recruit for his crusade to save Shokubutsugaku's sports program."

"Sounds like fun." Yoh said as he slid on his shoes. "Will you be trying out too?"

Kurama nodded.

Yoh rose up and smiled. "Then I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He said, walking over to open the door. "Good night Suuichi."

"Good night Yoh." Kurama replied, watching the blond shut the door before returning his attention to the photo upon his desk. "And good night to you Botan my love." Kurama added with a tender smile as he placed the photo back on the storage shelf of his desk and proceeded to turn in for the night.

*******

Botan couldn't believe her luck.

The deity smiled to herself, pleased at the turn of events that had transpired in Reikai the past few weeks, as she fairly skipped along one of the paved walkways of Shokubutsugaku in search of Kurama. He had told her last night that he was trying out for the basketball team and secretly Botan was thrilled. She loved to watch Kurama play. The graceful, fluid moves of his toned body attracted her attention in ways not even the kitsune had realized. She had attended many of his games during high school and relished the chance to watch him play once more. But little did Kurama know that Botan had decided to come in person, on his first day of tryouts, to observe him. And to her even greater delight, Koenma had no clue she was currently in Ningenkai, disobeying his order, all thanks to Ayame.

Although the deity had made little progress in finding the missing pages of the law book, Ayame had pointed out to Botan the vast amount of information available to them. Information that would aid in the ferry girl's quest to see Kurama more often on Ningenkai. And so the two women had searched the library of Koenma and had turned up a treasure of information about chi signatures and their manipulation. By masking her chi, she could not only slip past Koenma unnoticed but surprise Kurama as well.

I can't wait to see to see him. Botan thought with a joyful smile, her amethyst eyes roaming about the landscape as they studied the scenery before her. Her cerulean hair was pulled back into a ponytail which swept side to side as she continued walking. Her slender hands were tucked inside the pockets of the black sports jacket Kurama had given her to wear the day he had escorted her back to Reikai, the same day they had first confessed their feelings for each other. The love shown in his eyes when he had looked at her, his emotions close to the surface in all their glory for her alone to see. A wistful sigh escaped from Botan's lips as she quickened her pace, growing anxious to see him, to hug him close to her, to kiss those beautiful lips that spoke of an unending and devoted love for her and her alone.

Warmed by such thoughts, Botan's smile widened only to fall a few seconds later. Oh great! She thought with a groan, stopping in her tracks as she realized something she should have found out earlier. Where the hell is the gym around here? She wondered, her head twisting side from side as she sought out someone to ask. Botan frowned, her troubled eyes noticing the empty pathways, the landscape barren of people. Where is everybody? She asked mentally as she began to walk forward once more, hoping her luck would continue and she could see Kurama soon.

******

Kurama pulled into the student parking lot of the university, his fiery mane relaxing around his handsome face and resting against the collar of his navy pea coat as he slowed his bike to a stop in an open spot near a long sidewalk that merged into a pathway that led to the center of campus. The kitsune shut off the engine, removing the key from the ignition as he slid off the bike, his white tennis shoed feet hitting the pavement silently. Using the same key, Kurama unlocked the seat to his bike and flipped it open, reaching in to pull out a small black duffel bag. He slung the nylon strap across his right shoulder, pressing the seat back down before turning to his left and walking forward onto the pathway. His jeaned legs made purposeful strides as he headed into the heart of campus. He was about halfway down the path when he sensed a familar presence behind him.

"You're slacking in your mental defenses Kurama."

The kitsune slowed his movement, coming to a stop, a smile gracing his lips as he turned slowly around. "Good afternoon to you to Hiei." He said in a light tone, his emerald eyes meeting the aloof ones of his best friend.

The fire demon studied Kurama, a mask of indifference upon his face. But the voice behind that mask was tinged in concern. "You should always be on guard Kurama, or do you like the thought of being telepathically assaulted?"

Kurama frowned, sensing the fire apparition's anxiety and mental distress. Something was bothering him. "What's wrong Hiei? You seemed troubled."

Hiei's features darkened, his voice growing cold. "I'm perfectly fine Kurama."

Kurama did not believe him. "Then why are you here? Did you get into an arguement with Mukuro?"

At the mention of the female apparition's name, his mask cracked a little and Kurama could see the pain reflected in his friend's eyes. "Hiei?" He said in concern, hoping his friend would tell him what was going on. "Is Mukuro all right?"

The fire demon's features twisted in surprise and guilt, the memories of last night still haunting him. "Yes." He said softly. "She's alive and well."

"Then what is it?"

Hiei looked away from his friend, struggling to explain himself without sounding stupid and emotional. God he hated this. Hated admitting his weakness. That he loved Mukuro but didn't know how to tell her. He needed to know what he did wrong so he could end the wall of silence that had sprung up between them. "Mukuro and I ... We .." He paused, wracking his brain for the right words. Finally with a sigh he said, "She kissed me."

Kurama raised his eyebrows. Although he suspected the two fire demons had feelings for each other he never expected either of them to act on it and he certainly didn't expect Hiei to talk about such things, even with him. "Really?" He said in an amused tone. "Did you enjoy it?"

Hiei glared at Kurama, his features hardening. "What the hell does that matter?" He growled.

Kurama suppressed the urge to laugh at his friend. "Let me rephrase that. Did you kiss her back?"

Hiei frowned in confusion. "Why is that important?"

The fox spirit let out a sigh. "Oh I don't know, maybe because it would show that you were returning the feeling she was so obviously expressing to you."

"Which would be?"

Kurama looked at his friend as if he had announced Kuwabara was a genius. "That she's in love with you." He said in mild exasperation.

"I know that she loves me Kurama!" Hiei snapped. "That's not why I'm here!"

"Then why are you here?" Kurama asked, highly amused at his best friend's discomfort.

Hiei gnashed his teeth. "Because when I kissed her back I hurt her." He growled, his fists clenched so tight, blood began to fall to the ground from the force of his fingers digging into the palms of his hand.

Kurama features softened. "What do you mean?"

Hiei relaxed his grip, but his anger remained as he explained what had transpired the night before.

When he had finished, Kurama gave him a knowing smile. "I see." He said, his features remaining serious for a few seconds before he let out a laugh.

Hiei's eyes narrowed and his voice grew dangerous. "I fail to see anything funny about this Kurama. This is a serious matter."

"I'm sorry Hiei." Kurama said between his chuckle. "It's just that I can't believe you didn't realize the mistake on your own. After all, you were always harping at me to admit my feelings and go after Botan."

Hiei crossed his arms, his features annoyed. "I fail to see the comparison."

"Oh?" Kurama said, his laughter dying down. "How so?"

"Simple." Hiei replied. "You know what you're doing, I do not."

The kitsune tilted his head, his features growing thoughtful, knowing the fire demon did not like admitting his weaknesses. And dealing with a woman's heart is something Hiei's never experienced before. "It must hurt to admit that Hiei." He said with a somber voice.

The fire demon snorted in response to the kitsune's statement. "Whatever." He said, uncrossing his arms. "Well, since you've had your fun laughing at me perhaps you could illuminate me on the errors of my ways."

"From what you've told me, she wasn't feeling much pain at all."

"How can you say that Kurama?" Hiei said in a disbelieving voice. "She cried out in pain when I pulled her closer to me."

"Yes, but where were your eyes Hiei? On the wound or on Mukuro's face?"

Hiei frowned. "On the wound of course."

"And there lies your problem my friend." Kurama replied. "Had you taken the time to focus away from her wound and back upon her face you would have seen she didn't care about anything except expressing how she felt about you."

"So I wasn't supposed to care about her injury?" Hiei asked, his voice brimming with anger. "I was supposed to just let her wound seep with blood while we reveled in each other's touch? Are you saying it was wrong of me to stop and take care of her?"

Kurama shook his head. "No. I think you did the right thing Hiei. But you should also have acknowledged her feelings toward you. And yet you didn't and so she thinks you only reacted instinctively to her kiss. That you didn't really want to kiss her back."

"Well that's stupid!" Hiei retorted angrily, not understanding women at all. "Why the hell would she think I didn't want her or love her?"

"Because you didn't tell her Hiei." Kurama countered, a sympathetic smile upon his lips. "So why don't you take your own advice for once and tell her how you really feel?"

Hiei calmed down, his usual gruffness returning. "Hn. Perhaps you're right after all kitsune." He said, his features turning impassive once more as he changed the subject. "So what silly ningen activity are you engaging in today?" He asked, eyeing the black duffel bag.

"Well, I was on my way to basketball tryouts before you interrupted my walk." Kurama said turning his attention to the left towards the dome building some distance away.

Hiei smirked. "That game where you run around in shorts trying to toss a little ball through a hoop without hurting anyone? What kind of sport is that?"

"The kind we ningens play." Kurama said with an amused smile. "Not every sport involves bloodshed Hiei."

"Why not? More exciting if you ask me."

Kurama shook his head. "Yes, I suppose you're right in a way." He replied. "But be that as it may, I prefer a bloodless sport myself." He said before adding, "Would you like to watch the tryouts?"

Hiei shrugged his shoulders, his voice indifferent. "I suppose. I don't have anything else to do right now so why not."

Kurama smiled, pivoting to the side so that he now faced a new pathway that led to Tsunaki arena. "Then follow me." He said as he started forward, the fire demon in tow.

Several minutes later they entered the massive gray domed building, their eyes unhampered by the dim light that surrounded them. The kitsune stopped a few feet from the open entrance to the bleachers, his features twisting into curiosity as his enhanced hearing picked up the distinctive sounds of men yelling battle cries followed by the sound of wood being repeatedly struck.

Hiei sensed the kitsune's confusion. "What is it Kurama?"

But the fox spirit didn't answer as he walked forward and through the entrance, Hiei close behind.

Kurama's eyes adjusted quickly to the blinding light of the gym, taking in the scene before him as he stood upon the top floor of the arena. The basketball court was covered in thick blue mats upon which some two dozen men of various sizes were dressed in either black protective gear or white gi's. Those in white were segregated to the far side of the room, swinging what appeared to be wooden swords in practiced arcs. Some obviously more graceful than others. Those in black were practicing sword battles with each other and were the source of the racket that had disturbed the kitsune's hearing.

Kurama turned his head to the left then the right, frowning at the rather large crowd that had gathered in n the bleachers. Mostly women, all of them had their eyes focused on the mock battles taking place on the matted surface. Confusion entered the kitsune's mind, something he was not very comfortable experiencing. Why is the Kendo team practicing here? I thought their arena was on the eastern side of campus. Kurama wondered as he brought up his hand and checked his watch, noticing that he was precisely a half an hour early. Akira said to meet him at 2:30, so where is he? The kitsune studied the crowd, searching for some sign of Akira or Yoh.

The sounds of oohs and aahs erupted as one fighter flew several feet backwards onto the mat after a particularly forceful attack from his opponent who paused and backed away, allowing the fallen man to rise and continue once again..

"Now this is a sport I could watch." Hiei said with an appreciative smile.

"Of course. Being a swordsman yourself how could you not?" Kurama said with a wiry smile as he started down the steps. "I need to find out what's going on. Why don't you find a seat and enjoy the show."

Hiei nodded, looking around for a place to sit while the kitsune made his way to the court below both unaware that a pair of amethyst eyes were watching his progress.

*****

Botan sighed, a loving smile upon her lips as her eyes followed the path of her beloved as he made his way forward. She repressed the urge to jump out of her seat and go to him. It had been two weeks since she had last felt the touch of his lips upon hers. Even if he didn't know about it, that didn't make it any less memorable in the deity's mind. She'd take anything she could get and right now she'd have to settle for watching him from afar.

She had been confused at first when she had entered the arena, knowing full well that the events transpiring down on the court were not basketball but rather Kendo. But when she had overheard a conversation between a group of men who walked past her down the aisle talking about the tryouts, the deity decided to wait and see. And sure enough Kurama had shown up, duffel bag in tow, ready to play.

So the ferry girl relaxed and waited for the tryouts to begin, her eyes shifting over to the mock battles taking place below, hoping they would end soon.

*****

Kurama reached the court in a matter of seconds, his gaze snapping to the left as Akira's deep voice reached his sensitive ears.

"Hey Minamino!" The tall lanky blond called out to him. "Get your butt over here! We need to talk!"

Kurama's eyes caught sight of Akira, and several other potential players, seated on the home team's bench, the blonde's handsome features twisted in displeasure as his brown eyes shifted away from Kurama to the fighters on the court.

The kitsune walked quickly over to the tall man, his features neutral though his voice was curious as he spoke. "What's going on Akira?" He began, sliding his duffel bag off then his coat, revealing a black turtleneck which clung to his toned chest. He leaned to the side, sitting his bag and coat behind the bench before taking a seat beside the annoyed man.

Akira snorted. "It seems the Kendo team has received permission to practice here while their arena is renovated." He growled, his brown eyes still focused squarely on the combatants.

Kurama frowned. "And who gave them permission?"

"The dean of Shokubutsugaku, Mr. Ryo Tagahari." Akira replied coolly. "It seems Mr. Tagahari received a pledge by an anonymous donor to update the Kendo arena so that national tournaments could be held there, thus increasing the image and prestige of the school." He added, the disdain so obvious in his voice that Kurama couldn't help but ask what was truly bothering the taller man.

"I thought you wanted the sports image improved for Shokubutsugaku?"

"But I didn't want it to be bought!" Akira nearly shouted, his fists tightening in anger as he snapped his head viciously to the side. "You see that fighter over there, the one that keeps knocking all his opponents down with a single thrust to the chest?"

Kurama turned, his eyes picking up immediately on the man in question, noticing that his attacks seemed to gather the most noise from the female student body. The kitsune's eyes narrowed as he suddenly felt a slight shift in spiritual energy. Not a particularly powerful one but one nonetheless, coming from the fighter Akira had pointed out. He watched warily as the man's speed increased, his blow so quick his opponent could not see nor defend against it. The weaker man fell to the mat, rising slowly and rubbing his chest in pain as he walked to the side and another took his place. "Who is he?" Kurama asked turning back to Akira.

"Remember that guy that was staring at you that first day in Western Civ class?"

Kurama nodded. "I remember."

"That's him." Akira said in open disdain. "Ren Kurayami."

Kurama looked back over to the armored figure, his features growing dark. So that's gray eyes name. The kitsune thought as he studied the lean man more closely. "I take it you don't like him?"

Akira's face twisted in disgust. "About as much as I like reading poetry and braiding my little sister's hair."

Kurama gave a wiry smile, amused at the image that formed in his head. "That bad?" He replied turning once again to face his friend.

"I don't know what it is about him, but he just sets me off." Akira admitted, crossing his arms as he closed his eyes and lowered his head. "And that girlfriend of his creeps me out." He added. "She's always with him, watching over him like a hawk, glaring at anyone who dares look at her."

Kurama frowned. "Is it the same woman with the violet eyes and black glasses?" He asked, his gaze floating behind him as he sought out her presence. Sure enough, he spotted her sitting in the first row, in front of where gray eyes was practicing. Her lean frame was clothed entirely in black, her gaze riveted on Ren. Her features exhibited a state of euphoria with every blow the man made on his opponent. She was enjoying the pain inflicted by Ren on his dueling partners. That bothered Kurama. He did not like to be so quick to judge, but ever since he had laid eyes on that woman, he felt ill at ease. He didn't like her. Not one bit. Creepy indeed. He thought with a shiver, remembering the obsessive look in her gaze when he saw her the first time. His focus shifted quickly back to Akira. "Did you happen to catch her name?"

Akira frowned, opening his eyes once again to stare questioningly at the red haired man. "Ailia Botuhero." He answered. "Why do you ask?"

Kurama shrugged, not wanting to elaborate the uneasiness he felt. "Just wondering." He said nonchalantly as he switched gears. "So when is their practice over?"

"It was supposed to have ended twenty minutes ago but they are still at it! And it's all Kurayami's fault!" Akira snapped, uncrossing his arms to chuck his left thumb to the side. "The guys and I have been sitting here waiting patiently for our turn and still the Kendo squad practices, ignoring the fact that their time is up!"

"And it's Kurayami's fault because ... ?"

"Because I went to ask him if they would kindly take care of their mats and get the hell out of the arena so we could hold our tryouts."

"And what did he say?" Kurama asked.

"He told me that he would leave when he damn well felt like it and not before!" Akira snarled, his eyes burning with hate. "The way that arrogant bastard acts you'd think he owned the whole damn school!"

Kurama was about to say something when he notice someone heading towards them from the opposite side of the arena. A small smile formed on his lips as the lean figure of Yoh walked forward, his blue eyes taking in the surroundings much the same way as the kitsune had earlier. But when his gaze fell upon Kurama his features brightened and he headed straight over to where the kitsune sat.

"Good afternoon Suuichi!" Yoh said cheerfully, lowering his small blue bag onto the ground as he took a spot to the right of Kurama. "I'm not too late for tryouts am I?"

"Who's this guy Minamino?"

Kurama turned to Akira and began the introductions. "Akira Yukikawa meet Yoh Hajime. A potential member of the basketball team."

Yoh held out his hand. "It is an honor to meet you." He said with a friendly smile.

Akira paused for a second, then took the man's outstretched hand and shook it. "Likewise."

Kurama was about to say something when a sudden movement caught his eye. What the ... He thought, his eyes widening as he noticed what it was. With only a second to react and without warning, the kitsune pushed Yoh backwards with a sweep of his arm, forcing him out of harms way. Kurama gritted his teeth as the object made impact, his muscles tightening, his defenses enacted, negating any damage that would have occurred. For the force behind that throw spoke of a powerful energy few humans possessed.

The object bounced off, crashing onto the floor with a muffled thud as it went spinning across the mat, revealing what appeared to be a bamboo sword.

Yoh got back on his feet, his features full of concern and surprise as he sat back down next to Kurama. "Are you all right Suuichi?" He asked.

Kurama nodded, his emerald eyes shifting away from the sword to the one who had thrown it. His features tightened as he watched Ren approach, his helmet removed, a smirk upon his face as he went over to retrieve his sword. "Sorry about that." He said, his tone anything but. "Must have slipped out of my hand."

"Liar!" Akira accused, rising to his feet. "You did that on purpose!"

Ren gave Akira a condescending smile. "Now why would I do that Yukikawa?" He asked, his innocent features amused at how upset the tall blond was. "I don't even know who this guy is."

"Another lie!" Akira snarled. "You know exactly who Suuichi Minamino is. I've heard you talk about him yourself."

Ren's smile fell but his features remained amused as he turned to face Kurama.

Emerald clashed with gray, the two men sizing each other up, both glaring disdainfully at one another.

"So the great Suuichi Minamino has decided to grace our presence has he?" Ren said nastily, pointing his bamboo sword above the fox spirit's head. "And with such an audience as this, I think it only fair he show them what a great man he is."

Akira frowned. "What are you talking about?"

Ren turned to Yukikawa, lowering his sword. "Why simply that I challenge him to a contest of skill. His strength against mine." He replied, looking back to Kurama. "Unless of course he realizes the truth."

"The truth?" Akira murmured.

"That I am greater than Suuichi could ever hope to be." He said with a cocky smile. "So how about it Minamino? Care to be embarrassed in front of all these people?"

"He's not scared of you!" Akira snarled, his fists shaking with controlled rage. "And neither am I!"

Ren looked back to the blond, his features full of irritation. "What are you? Minamino's mouth piece? I'm not asking you am I? I'm asking Minamino. So sit down and shut up."

"Why you ..." Akira murmured, starting forward only to stop as Kurama rested his hand upon the taller man's shoulder. "Suuichi?" He asked, turning his gaze over to the kitsune.

"It is all right Akira." Kurama said softly, moving ahead of him. "I can handle this."

Akira relaxed. "Very well." He grumbled, sitting back down.

Kurama's features were hardened, his eyes dangerous as he addressed the dark haired man before him. "I don't want to fight you." He began, pausing as Ren interjected.

"I'd figure you'd say something like that."

"However," Kurama continued, not affected by Ren's interruption. "I don't like your attitude. I don't like the way you've spoken and behaved towards my friends. If you apologize, I'll forget this whole thing happened."

Ren snorted. "That's big of you Minamino, but you see, I don't like pretty boys who think they're smarter and better than everyone else. I don't like your attitude. I don't like you." He replied, sneering as he pointed his sword at the red head threateningly. "And I'm not leaving this arena until I duel you."

Kurama eyed the sword then the wielder with regret and anger. "Then I will make you leave." He said, sliding off his shoes before stepping onto the mat, his eyes never leaving Ren's.

"By all means Minamino." Ren countered, waving over another Kendo student."Get him some armor." He ordered the student, who nodded and quickly set off to retrieve the appropriate gear.

A murmur rose among the crowd, the voices of the spectators rising in enthusiasm as they discussed what was going on.

Hiei glared at two women seated close by, squealing as they spoke eagerly about Kurama and the dark haired man.

"Oh ... This should be good! The two best looking men on campus fighting a Kendo match! I can hardly stand it!" A mousy looking woman with dark brown hair and green eyes piped, her gaze twinkling in anticipation.

"I don't know, we're not supposed to be thinking about Suuichi like that remember." A tall, pretty blond with wire frame glasses offered.

Hiei's ears twitched in interest at that last comment, wondering why in the hell they weren't supposed to be ogling Kurama. His eyes returned to court but his curiosity remained as he waited for the fight to begin.

Another pair of eyes watched on the right side of the bleachers, her features twisted in concern. Botan too, had felt the rush of spiritual energy but could not see what happened down below. All she knew now was that Kurama was somehow involved and was talking with the handsome dark haired man who had walked over to the bench.

What is going on? The deity wondered, reminding herself not to let her emotions get the best of her. If she did Kurama would know she was here and her surprise would be ruined. So Botan calmed herself and waited to see what happened next.

Meanwhile, down on the court, Kurama waited patiently, his head twisting to the right as he suddenly heard Hiei's voice in his head.

What the hell are you doing Kurama? I thought you were here to play basketball?

The kitsune smiled. So did I but it seems I've run into a little problem that needs my attention. Someone with spiritual energy has challenged me to a duel and I have accepted.

Hn. Hiei's voice replied. The man with the dark hair who threw that sword I presume.

The very one.

He doesn't care much for you does he? Hiei sent.

The feelings mutual I assure you. Kurama sent back.

Be careful. Hiei warned. He may have more power than you realize.

Kurama nodded, focusing back on the student who came back with the armor which he quickly slipped into, his helmet cradled against his side as he followed Ren to the center of the mats. He watched as the dark haired man walked over to the bags of equipment laid out near the edge of the mats, dropping his bamboo sword before bending down to retrieve two long wooden ones. He returned in front of Kurama tossing one of the swords to him while clasping the other.

"Normally we use the lighter Shinai for Kendo matches but I think using these heavy Bokken will make for a more exciting match." Ren said with a smile as he swung the maple hued weapon back and forth.

Kurama's battle face was in play, his features revealing nothing, although inside he felt a little leery. Why does he want to do this? He wondered, testing the feel of the wooden sword as he swung it in a graceful arc. And why did I agree to fight? He added mentally as he lowered the Bokken, sliding the helmet in his hand over his head, his emerald eyes peering through the protective metal grate that formed the front of the head gear.

Ren mimicked his actions. "Are you ready?"

Kurama nodded.

"Then it begins." Ren said softly, charging forward with a burst of speed that surprised the kitsune who lifted his sword up and to the side, blocking a blow aimed at his head.

Kurama quickly countered, pushing up and to the left, forcing Ren's sword to the side.

Ren did not relent however. With a quick flick of his wrist, he changed the angle, heading back inward with a side swiping slash aimed for the kitsune's ribs.

Kurama jumped back and away, dodging the attack. He was quickly learning Ren's fighting style and was already thinking of ways to counter it. He is fast to be sure, but he is also very intent on proving his strength against mine. He thought as he repelled another attack aimed for his right side. But why does he want to fight me? What have I ever done to him?

"What's the matter Minamino? Afraid to fight back?" Ren taunted as he attacked the kitsune in a quick series of slashes all blocked by Kurama.

This time Kurama retaliated, taking the force of Ren's downward sweep with a side block, pushing back with a strength that could only be gained by use of spiritual energy. In a lightning fast move, the kitsune moved inside, striking Ren's chest with a side slash that sent the slightly leaner man reeling backwards for several feet, cracking the chest guard with such force it fell into pieces on the matted surface below.

Ren recovered quickly, his spiritual energy rising, his anger fueling his strength, his hatred for the kitsune becoming evident in his voice as he growled, "My turn." And with that he returned the favor, evading Kurama's offensive strike as he jumped up and brought the Bokken down upon the kitsune's helmet.

Kurama fell to a knee, the force of the impact rattling his brain for a few seconds. Gritting his teeth, the kitsune rolled to the side, avoiding being struck again by Ren's sword. He rose quickly to his feet, the helmet splitting down the middle and falling to the side.

The crowd let out a collective gasp as a large rivulet of blood flowed down the kitsune's forehead, tracing the right side of his jaw and neck before pooling into the fabric of his turtleneck.

And it was in this moment Kurama recognized a familar chi, her concern and fear washing over him, letting him know of her presence.

Botan? Kurama thought in surprise, wondering how it had taken him so long to sense her. But where was she? How did she get here? His anxious and hopeful emerald eyes searched the crowd, his heart excited at the thought of visiting his beloved in person rather than the impersonal communicator. His battle with Ren was forgotten. He no longer cared about beating him. He just wanted to see Botan again.

Ren stood still for a few seconds, his features darkening as he heard Ailia's voice inside his mind.

Botan is here Ren. That's why he hasn't attacked you.

Who cares. Ren countered, tightening his grip on the sword, his angry eyes still focused on Kurama. I want to knock Kurama into the ground. I want to humiliate him in front of all these people.

Then now would be the perfect opportunity wouldn't it. Ailia replied. Strike him now when he's not paying attention.

Ren thought about it as he watched Kurama walk towards him.

"You win." Kurama said softly, not looking in his direction as he addressed him.

The dark haired man lowered his sword, but his anger had not abated. "It was a draw Minamino. We will battle again."

"But not today." Kurama countered, walking past him, his features softening and his eyes growing tender as he watched the deity approach down the steps.

He made his way toward her, his expression of love so blatant, even those without spiritual awareness could sense it.

Akira and Yoh watched the kitsune with curious eyes.

"So Minamino's girl is here huh? I didn't think I'd get to see her so soon." The tall blond commented.

Yoh frowned as he turned to address the taller man. "Why not?" He asked.

"Suuichi mentioned her to me briefly the first day we met on campus. Something about how her parents didn't approve of the match. I don't know why they'd disagree. He's the nicest and smartest guy I've ever known." Akira answered.

Yoh turned back to Kurama and Botan who began to talk, his features neutral but his heart was troubled. Why wouldn't Koenma approve? He wondered, suspecting that was the person Kurama actually meant when he talked to Akira. And why does my father want to know so much about them? Yoh didn't understand. He liked Kurama. He liked Botan. They were a perfect match, so why did it seem no one wanted them together? The blond Reigen shook his head. I will ask the elder tomorrow when I visit him, perhaps he could ease my troubled mind. He thought as he watched Botan nod and turn to walk back up the steps while Kurama returned to the bench.

"Sorry Akira." Kurama addressed his friend as he began to take off the Kendo armor. "But Botan's here and I need to speak with her." He added as he quickly set the armor onto the bench and slid on his shoes.

Akira waved his apology away. "It's alright Suuichi. I know it's been a while since you seen her and you want to spend a little quality time. So go ahead. I'll take care of the armor for you."

Kurama smiled. "Thanks Akira." He said with a nod as he leaned over to the bench and retrieved his belongings. "See you later Yoh."

"Bye Suuichi."

And with that the kitsune flew up the stairs, pausing briefly as Hiei's voice entered his mind.

I'm heading back to Makai. The fire apparition said matter of factly before his tone changed, becoming lighter and teasing. You might want to clean up your face before you kiss the ferry girl Kurama.

The kitsune smiled, ignoring his best friend's teasing. Say hello to Mukuro for me. The red head countered before continuing up and out of the open area, his lean frame swallowed by the dimness once more.

******

Once Kurama had tended to his injury, he met up with Botan outside the arena doors. The deity and the kitsune began to walked down the pathway that led away from Tsunaki arena, their hands entwined and their features content. Both happy to be near each other again, the strength of their bond tightening, lifting their spirits and easing the pain of their separation.

"So.." Kurama started.

"So.." Botan said at the same time.

Both of them paused, looking at each other apologetically even as they smiled.

"I'm sorry Botan." Kurama said, his gaze fixated upon the beautiful face of the deity. "You go first."

Botan nodded. "I was just going to say how impressed I was that you walked away from the fight with that man." She started. "Who is he by the way?"

A tinge of jealously ripped through Kurama's heart but he quickly stifled it, scoffing mentally at the notion Botan would be attracted to someone like Ren. "A student by the name of Ren Kurayami. For some reason or another he dislikes me. And I can't for the life of me figure out why."

"Hmm ..." Botan murmured, her features turning thoughtful. "He has a large amount of spiritual energy. Much more than the average human."

"True." Kurama conceded. "But still it is not too uncommon. Look at Yusuke."

I'd rather look at you. Botan thought. Instead she nodded and said, "You don't think he's related to what happened in Makai do you?"

Kurama shook his head. "The spiritual energy I felt was strong but definitely human. The energy in Makai was not." He paused, looking over to Botan. "Speaking of which how did you manage to mask your chi?"

Botan smiled impishly, unlocking her hand from his. "You'll just have to catch me to find out!" She said with a laugh, tearing off down the path, leaving a startled Kurama behind.

The kitsune watched her go for a few seconds before a devilish smile of his own appeared upon his lips. Dropping his bag he raced forward, matching her speed, grinning at the cry of surprise and merriment that erupted from the deity's lips as she looked over her shoulder to find Kurama only a few feet behind. She picked up the pace, veering off the pathway, tearing along the now grassy surface towards the trunk of a large maple tree, giggling the whole time.

Kurama humored her as he watched his love tear around the back of the tree just as he turned the corner of it, knowing he could of caught her before she had made ten steps forward. She was having fun, releasing her joy by play and Kurama obliged. For he too, was enjoying this, the thrill of the chase almost as fun as the thought of catching her. "Come here you." He said, playfully lurching forward to grab at her.

Botan's giggled louder as she dodged his attempt to catch her, tearing around to the front of the tree once more.

Kurama started after her anew, laughing with her as she veered off onto the grass towards the woods, the kitsune right behind.

Botan's giggling turned to surprised laughter as Kurama finally ended the chase, coming up beside her then in front of her, his strong arms wrapping around her waist. "Looks like I win." He sang, lifting her slightly off the ground, and twirling her around much to Botan's delight.

"Okay. You win." Botan conceded, enjoying the way he held her close. In a bold move she leaned forward, brushing her nose gently against his own.

Kurama looked at her tenderly, repeating the motion before lowering her back to the ground. "Now tell me. How did you manage to conceal your energy Botan?"

Botan gave him a coy smile, reaching out to take his hand before pulling him towards her. "After I take a break." She said softly, eyeing the tree they had raced around a short time ago. "Over there perhaps."

Kurama followed her gaze, nodding to her request.

Once there, the kitsune lowered himself on the ground, resting his back against the smooth gray bark as Botan lowered herself sideways into his lap, nestling her face against his left shoulder, absorbed in the closeness, taking in the smell of him as she nuzzled against him.

God she loved the way he smelled. So clean and wonderful. Like the flowers he wielded in battle. Like roses.

Kurama's heart beat against his chest, trying hard not to give in to his impulse to kiss Botan. He didn't want to move too fast. Besides, he enjoyed the nuzzling and he wanted his question answered. "Um .. Botan."

"Hmm?" The deity murmured, still lost in the feeling of being so close to the one she loved.

"Are you going to tell me now?"

Botan opened her eyes and pulled her head upright. "I did make that promise didn't I?" She said softly then proceeded to tell him what she had learned.

When she was done, Kurama was strangely silent.

Botan frowned, troubled by his silence. "You're not mad at me are you?" She asked.

Kurama seemed to come out of his thoughts, looking over to her with softened eyes. "No love. I'm not mad, just concerned."

Botan rested her head back upon his shoulder. "Why?"

Kurama closed his eyes, turning to rest his forehead against Botan's. "I don't like not knowing when you're going to be in Ningenkai. The very thought of not sensing you frightens me."

Botan could feel the rush of pain swirling within the kitsune's heart. Wanting to calm him, she reached up slowly, caressing the right side of Kurama's jaw, her gesture comforting. "I promise to contact you the next time I come for a visit."

Kurama smiled, sensing the truth of her words through their bond, the love she felt for him as great as his for her. "Please do. I want to take you somewhere special next time. A real date."

Botan smiled. "Everything I need or want is here." She said lovingly, lowering her hand to rest it against his chest.

Kurama matched her smile, before tilting his head to the side. "I love you." He whispered, brushing his lips tenderly against hers.

Botan's heart thudded with a power to rival a war drum as she basked in the affection of his lips upon hers. This went on for several seconds until a buzzing noise went off inside the pocket of her coat. The deity pulled away reluctantly, reaching into her pocket and flipping the communicator open.

The face of Ayame popped up, her features riddled with anxiety. "Botan you need to get back here. Koenma's looking for you and I'm having a hard time convincing him your off on a trip in Reikai."

Botan let out a sigh of disappointment as she nodded. "I'll be there in a few minutes." She said, snapping the communicator closed before stuffing it into the pocket of the jacket.

"I'm sorry." Botan said, her features full of pain as she rose slowly to her feet.

Kurama followed, a sad smile upon his face as he reached out and tucked a stray strand of hair behind the deity's left ear, brushing her cheek with the back of his fingers. "It's okay Botan." He replied, lowering his hand before wrapping his arms around her. "Visit me soon." He whispered as he pulled her into him, holding her close.

"I will." She whispered back, pulling reluctantly away, her lips brushing against his cheek.

The red head let her go slowly and with great pain, watching in sadness as her hand slipped away from his, already lamenting the loss of her touch. He waved good bye at her, unable to voice the grief in his heart as he watched her materialize her oar and fly away, away from him. With a sigh of resignation, the kitsune turned around and slowly walked back over to the bag he dropped on the pathway. Once retrieved, Kurama turned and headed over to his bike, his heart heavy even as he knew he would see her again. I promise Botan, the next time you visit, I'll take you on a real date and we will have some fun. He vowed silently as he reached his transportation and made his way home.