Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Youko Emerges ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Thank you Kitsune202 for your review! That made me smile!

Chapter 18-- Youko Emerges

"Where have you been Botan?!" Koenma snapped, the irritation and wariness evident in his tone, the features of his teen aged form dark as he glared across his desk at the blue haired fairy girl. "I want a straight answer!"

Botan glared back at her employer, her features defiant, not frightened by the harshness in his voice. She had no intention of telling Koenma she had been in the arms of Kurama, relishing in the touch of his lips upon hers. It's not his concern. It never has been. She thought angrily as she replied with a question of her own, "What business is it of yours how I spend my time in Reikai, Koenma?"

The spirit lord flinched, startled by her casual address. There she goes again! His mind snarled. Her disrespect is really starting to annoy me. "That's lord Koenma to you Botan." The brown eyed man said in a warning tone that broke no arguement.

Botan gritted her teeth. "Lord Koenma," She growled, her anger rising at his treatment of her. I'm not his child! Why does he continue to treat me like one! "Why should I tell you where I've been? Am I not allowed to go where ever I want within Reikai's borders?"

Koenma narrowed his eyes, not believing her statement at all. "So you're saying you've been in the spirit realm all this time?"

Botan nodded.

"Then why are you dressed in human clothing?"

The deity looked down, frowning at her current state of dress. Crap! I knew I should have changed before I reported to Koenma. She cursed mentally as she brought her eyes back up to the toddler lord. "Since when did we have a dress code for leisure time?" She asked, her calm voice belying the sudden uneasiness and uncertainty she felt.

Koenma leaned back in his office chair, flashing her a triumphant smirk, as if he had just discovered her secret. "I think you were in the human world Botan. In fact I know you were." He replied, opening the center drawer in front of him. Reaching in, the toddler retrieved a remote before sliding the drawer shut. Pointing the remote to his right, Koenma pushed the top button.

Ayame, who had been standing silently to Koenma's left, blanched. He didn't ... The dark haired ferry girl thought, a rush of fear and concern flowing through her heart as she looked helplessly from her employer to the screen on the right side of the room.

The large black monitor flared to life, revealing the grassy campus of Shokubutsugaku.

Botan turned her gaze over to the screen, her defiance slipping, the air escaping from her lungs in a gasp as she witnessed what she thought had been a private moment between her and Kurama. The feel of his lips against hers still burned in her mind and the thought of Koenma spying on them caused her blood temperature to rise. "You've been spying on us all this time?" She said in shock as she turned to look back at her employer.

"Correction." Koenma responded in a gloating tone as he shut off the monitor and placed the remote on the desk top. "I've been spying on Kurama all this time. However, I knew something like this would happen and I must say I'm disappointed in you Botan. I expected you to comply with the rules, my most trusted ferry girl. But alas, you let your emotions override your reason and now I have no choice but to confiscate your communicator and ban you from either speaking or seeing the kitsune again."

Botan blanched. "You can't be serious!" She spoke in a pained tone as her gaze shifted away from Koenma to Ayame who shook her head and mouthed, 'I had no idea.'

"I assure you I'm quite serious." Koenma replied as he looked down at his paperwork, clasping the white sheets into his outstretched hands as he began to read their content. "I want that communicator in five minutes Botan. I trust you can follow through with that order without too much of a struggle." He said in a dismissive tone.

Botan however didn't budge an inch. She just glared at him, hurt and anger swirling within her amethyst pools. "No." She said softly.

Koenma snapped his head upright, his brow furrowed. "No? What do you mean no?" He barked, his tone hard. "That is an order not a request Botan and you will do it or I'll ..."

"Or you'll what?" Botan interjected, her voice as hard and cold as steel. "Ground me, report me, kill me? What are you going to do Koenma?"

Uncertainty mixed with anger flashed across the spirit lord's face as he lowered his paper back on the desk. "Don't presume to judge me heartless Botan. I understand your pain but it means little to the grander scheme of things."

"To the grander scheme of things?" Botan snapped, stalking over to Koenma's desk, murder brimming in her eyes. "Whose scheme Koenma? Yours? The elders? Tell me all mighty one, illuminate this humble servant as to the truth." She growled sarcastically.

"Stop acting like a child Botan!" Koenma barked, slamming his fist hard against the top of his desk, his stamper and ink pad flying up into the air before landing back onto the desk and bouncing off to the side, crashing onto the floor below.

"Such a funny order coming from a child who presumes to know everything but in reality knows nothing!" Botan retaliated. "You don't know anything about the heart Koenma. You don't understand what I share with Kurama do you?"

"I'll tell you what I know," Koenma replied, jumping up out of his swivel seat, the motion sending the chair sliding backwards. He rested his hands palm down on the wooden surface of his desk, bracing his body as he leaned forward, his steady glare meeting the defiant one of Botan. "You're in love with an inferior being. Someone who taints you with every touch he makes upon your skin!"

The deity stared at him in shock at the description Koenma had just given about the kitsune. A man who had worked hard and faithfully for the spirit lord without complaint or regret. And now he claims Kurama is nothing more than a filthy beast, without compassion or love. Botan's rage rose to the surface, incensed at such a description of her beloved. How dare he speak of Kurama like that! Her mind roared as she clenched her hands into tight fists, her arms shaking with an intensity to match the anger she felt. "YOU ARROGANT BASTARD!" Botan snarled, raising her right fist and in a lightning quick move unleashed all the resentment, pain and hurt with a vicious right hook.

Koenma had no time to react, the impact striking him on the left side of his jaw with such force he toppled sideways, landing in an unconscious heap onto the marbled floor below.

When the spirit lord regained his senses sometime later, he found himself lying within the medical ward of the palace. Koenma tried to sit up but a wave of nauseating dizziness washed over him, causing the spirit lord to collapse backwards. A painful groan erupted from his lips as he closed his eyes and begged for the pain to subside.

"You're awake." A soft feminine voice murmured from close by.

Koenma opened his eyes slowly, turning his head to the right, towards the source of the voice, wincing as he started to speak. "She hit me." He whispered as his watery brown eyes met the mildly sympathetic blue ones of Ayame who walked up to the teen age version of her boss and handed him a cold compress which Koenma reached out for and promptly placed upon his swollen jaw, his features tightening as he tried to get used to the sudden coldness upon his reddened flesh.

"You deserved to be hit for the awful things you said." Ayame replied, her sympathetic eyes hardening as she stared at her boss. "That was uncalled for lord Koenma and you know it."

The spirit lord eyed her angrily, not liking the disrespectful tone of his research assistant, even if he was in love with her. "I was only speaking the truth." He said coolly, removing the cold compress and setting it aside as he rose slowly into an upright position. He swung his legs to the side, holding back the bile that rose in his throat as he steadied himself. "I'm trying to save her from making a fatal mistake. And Kurama is a fatal mistake."

Ayame shook her head, ashamed at the man before her. "You're wrong Koenma. By denying her the right to see Kurama you are killing her."

Koenma frowned, confusion replacing anger upon his handsome face. "What are you talking about Ayame?"

Ayame sighed, shifting her gaze away from her boss, a sad look upon her countenance as she studied a large painting of wild flowers every color of the rainbow that hung along the beige colored wall to her right. Botan forgive me. Ayame thought as she began to speak. "There is something you must know lord Koenma. Something you might not want to hear but it must be said for you to truly understand how detrimental your actions have been."

Koenma's frown deepened. "What is it you're trying to tell me Ayame?"

The dark haired ferry girl turned her gaze over to her boss, her eyes pleading for his patience and understanding. "Kurama and Botan share a soul bond my lord. They are soul mates."

Koenma said nothing at first, his shocked features displaying the disbelief and horror flooding his heart and mind. No. This can't be. He thought in dismay, holding his breath as he tried to calm himself. "That's ..." He paused, unable to voice his words as his lungs fought for air. " That's .. just not ... possible. How can a being as pure as Botan be connected spiritually to someone as tainted as Kurama. Why the very thought is in and of itself absurd!"

"Is it?" Ayame nearly snapped, growing impatient with the man before her. "Is it really my lord? Did you forget all those times Kurama helped save not only the human world but our world as well? Did you forget about the sacrifices he made to help you. What did he gain from it my lord? Why would he do such things?" She paused, frowning when her boss didn't respond. "Well, lord Koenma. Do you know?"

The brown haired man cast his eyes downward, unable to meet Ayame's fiery gaze as she continued.

"Kurama is a good and honorable man. And because he recognized his faults, he set to rectify his mistakes, seeking redemption for the sins of his past. And by my estimates, Kurama has repaid his debts a hundred times over. He has redeemed himself. No longer is he the merciless Youko from the past but a kind and caring man seeking to live his life peacefully and yet you continue to belittle him." The dark haired girl fairly accused. "Why do you continue in this Koenma? Why?"

Koenma struggled to find his voice, his guilt and shame growing by the second. He knew he had spoke too harshly of Kurama. And in doing so had earn the wrath of not only his head ferry girl but apparently the woman standing before him as well. "I was only looking out for everyone's best interests."

"Everyone's? Or just your own?"

Koenma brought his gaze up, his features turning dark. "Just what is it you're implying?"

Ayame studied him with annoyed eyes. "Up until now you've have successfully blocked any relationship that might have occurred between those under your employ and those we serve in the human and demon world." She began, walking towards him. "But Botan is a threat to the status quo. To your pride and the pride of Reikai you keep yammering about. This so called pure blood law that is nowhere to be found in any record or law book I have ever read." She added stopping less than a foot away from him. "And I tell you now my lord. If I come across something that will aid in Botan's case, so help me God I will give it to her without hesitation."

Understanding flashed across the spirit lord's face as he rose to his feet. "You've been helping her all this time haven't you?" He accused.

Ayame straightened her frame, her voice unapologetic as she spoke. "Yes I have."

"Why?!" Koenma cried, raising his arms heaven ward. "Don't you understand what is at stake?!" He wanted to tell her the truth and the reasons behind that law, but his tongue wouldn't comply, his fear grounding him into silence as he stood there, frustration welling in him as he stared at his assistant.

Ayame shook her head, disgusted at the obstante behavior of her employer. "You are the one who doesn't understand my lord. Botan and Kurama are bonded at the soul and no amount of berating, pleading or threatening will change that fact or make it go away." She answered, reaching out to grab Koenma's hand which she held gently, her voice trying to break through the stubbornness of the man she loved. "It is you who are literally killing Botan by segregating her away from Kurama. You are killing them both. And your continued refusal to accept that will lead to their deaths. Is that what you want?"

Koenma sighed, looking down at their entwined hands. "I ... can't help them Ayame." He replied. "I just can't."

The dark haired ferry girl closed her eyes in dismay, retracting her hand out of his grip. "Then the man that I love is nothing more than a coward." She said softly, turning away from him as she slowly made her way across to the open door and out into the hallway before Koenma could call her back. Why Koenma? She thought sadly as she headed for Botan's quarters. Why are you so scared. What secrets have you neglected to tell me? She wondered. She knew it had something to do with that war 3,000 years ago. They say it was the loss of the scroll that caused it but there has to be more to it than that, there just has to be. Ayame stopped in front of a white door, raising her right hand to gently knock upon it's surface. "Botan? Botan can I come in?" She asked softly. When no response came, the dark haired ferry girl frowned, reaching down to open the door. With a gentle nudge, Ayame poked her head around the door. "Botan?" She called out, her concerned blue eyes scanning the room until at last they settled on the slender figure of the deity standing out on the balcony, her head cast downward and her shoulders slumped. A sign of defeat and resignation. The dark haired woman thought with a frown as she entered the room, closing the door softly behind her. She walked slowly to where Botan stood, her voice sympathetic as she called out once more, "Botan?"

The deity made no move to acknowledge her presence.

"Botan?" Ayame repeated.

A few seconds passed before the blue haired ferry girl took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "How is he?" She asked, her voice low and dim as if she were far, far away.

Ayame came to stand upon Botan's left, resting her hands upon the railing as she answered. "He'll live," She replied with a smile. "I only wish it had knocked some sense into him. He's just as stubborn as ever."

"I shouldn't have hit him like that," She said, the regret evident in the tone of her voice. "It's just .. how could he say such things about Kurama. A man who worked so hard for him. Why can't he just accept Kurama for what he is now rather than harping about his past. I don't understand."

Ayame sighed, looking out into the darkening sky. "He's set in his ways Botan. And he's afraid."

"As am I." Botan replied softly, leaning back from the railing as she stuffed her hands into the pockets of the jacket she still wore. "But not for my own life. I fear for Kurama's." She paused, turning to Ayame. "That is why I will abide by Koenma's decision for now." The deity removed her left hand and held it out to Ayame, the communicator clasped within her slender fingers.

The dark haired woman looked away from Botan's face to her outstretched hand. "Don't you want to contact Kurama first? Let him know what is going on?" She asked, holding out her palm.

Botan placed the communicator gently into her friend's hand. "No."

Ayame didn't understand. "Why not?"

Botan turned away from her friend, tilting her head back to stare into the starlit sky. "I can't face him Ayame. If .. If I look at Kurama, talk to him, my resolve will weaken. I will go to him Ayame. And never return. And that will end in our deaths. I can't allow that." She paused, fighting back the tears that were brimming in her eyes. "The pain I feel now will bear testament to the love I feel for him. And it will only grow even as I begin to fade away."

Ayame shook her head. "Botan this is non sense!" She said forcefully, reaching out to clasp her friend's arm, hoping she was truly listening. "Don't tell me you're giving up already?! Kurama is your soul mate and you are his! You say you're afraid of his death, but if you remain away too long from him you will die as well. If you want to keep him alive, fight for him Botan! Don't give in to this ridiculous command!"

Botan looked over at her friend, a small smile gracing her lips. "I have not giving up hope Ayame. And I haven't giving up on finding the answers I seek. I will continue my search tomorrow."

Ayame smiled, happy to see the deity had not lost her resolve completely. "And I will help you." She replied, giving Botan a reassuring squeeze before releasing her hold on the deity's arm.

"I'm counting on it Ayame." Botan replied, returning her gaze to the sky.

Ayame nodded. "You are my friend Botan how can I not help you." She said, backing away. "I'll leave you alone then."

Botan gave a small nod of acknowledgment, her back turned to the dark haired ferry girl as she spoke, "Good night Ayame."

"Good night." Ayame replied, turning around. She exited the room quietly, opening and then closing the door gently behind her.

Botan stood silently for some time in the cool night air, lost in a sea of despair that at last took her and she broke down, unable to hold back the waves of pain that swelled within her heart. I'm sorry Kurama. I am so ... sorry. She cried mentally as she fell to the floor, her body racked by sobs, the thought of never seeing Kurama again more than she could bear.

******

"Botan?" Kurama murmured as he sat on his couch in the living room of his apartment, a portable phone in his right hand. His emerald gaze focused out towards the window in his room, the sky already painted in an evening hue. His handsome features were twisted in immediate concern, the voice on the phone lost to him as he focused his attention far away. Botan what is wrong? He wondered. He had sensed no physical threat looming over his beloved. And yet he knew Botan was suffering. The pain of grief tugging at his heart, at his very soul. She was emotionally traumatized and he could only guess what was wrong. Koenma! His mind snarled. He must have done something!

"Hey Minamino, did you just call me Botan?" Akira's deep voice spoke through the receiver, drawing the kitsune's attention briefly back upon his conversation with the center of the basketball team.

"I'll see you at practice tomorrow Akira." Kurama said abruptly, shutting off the phone and setting it absently on the coffee table as he rose and marched over to his desk, pulling open the side drawer and retrieving the communicator device. He flipped the top open and dialed the appropriate numbers, pacing as he waited for a response. One minute passed. Then two. Come on Botan, answer! Kurama cried mentally. At last the screen came to life but it was not who or what he expected. For instead of the beloved image of his deity's face, Kurama merely saw NO LONGER IN SERVICE flash in bright red letters across the monitor.

The kitsune blanched, realizing the situation immediately. Koenma knows. He thought in dismay as he shut the communicator and dropped onto the couch, his posture dejected as he now shared in Botan's grief. And now I will never see her again. He added as he fell onto his back, his emerald eyes staring up at the ceiling, his thoughts as dark and fiery as the pain and anger swirling with in his heart and mind. And there he lay as the night wore on, sharing in Botan's grief sending her all the love he felt until at last the darkness lifted and the pain was no more. He had comforted her as best he could. Giving her the strength of his soul, letting her know he was aware of her pain. Letting her know she was not alone. And never would be. Free of the oppressive blanket of loneliness and despair, Kurama's eyelids grew heavy until at last exhaustion took him and his world fell into the darkness of sleep.

*******

Far away, in the bustling metropolis of Tokyo, night still laid claim to the sky, the darkness illuminated by the endless array of lights and activities going on within the city's borders and among the party seeking masses, two individuals walked in purposeful strides along the wide sidewalks. They paid no heed to the noise or cold weather that surrounded them, their thoughts dwelling on more important matters.

"Why the hell didn't we call a cab when we got off the train Ren? I hate walking." Ailia growled, a mist of vapor escaping from her mouth as she talked.

"Cold are we Ailia?" Ren asked, increasing his pace so that the dark haired woman was forced to jog just to keep up with him.

"Will you cut that out!" She snarled, jamming her hands into the pockets of her leather trench coat. "If you want to go so damn fast, why don't we hail a taxi and head straight to the loft rather than this round about way!"

The dark haired man sighed as he slowed his pace. "I told you before Ailia, I like to walk." He stated, coming to a stop at a busy intersection, turning his head left then right as he watched the traffic zoom along. "Besides, the fresh air is good for you."

Ailia grumbled under her breath but said nothing, glaring at her leader with irritated blue eyes, annoyed at his refusal to let her read his mind. He's up to something. She thought, watching as the dark haired man's dress shoed feet hit the asphalt in a silent march, making his way across the marked walkway to the center median where yet another walkway awaited. She hurried across, making it to the island just before the traffic picked up again. Ailia frowned as she suddenly noticed something. "This isn't the way to the loft Ren." She said, turning sideways to face him.

Ren smiled enigmatically. "Really? How perceptive of you my dear." He said in a patronizing tone that made the woman beside him frown.

"What are you up to?"

The man's smile fell, his features darkening as he spoke. "I'm still aggravated at that little contest of strength against Kurama earlier and I need a little relief from this pent up anger." He replied tightly as he started across once again, Ailia close behind.

"If you hadn't of challenged him, you wouldn't be feeling so inadequate." Ailia said with a smirk. "I believe you mentioned at our last meeting that we were not to approach the targets in any threatening way."

"And you think that telepathic message you planted in every female student's mind was non threatening?" Ren countered, increasing his pace, his eyes scrutinizing the landscape as he searched for the appropriate spot. " I wonder how the kitsune would feel if he knew just how obsessive you are over him."

"And how do you know I did that?"

Ren smiled. "Well it's quite obvious how the women seem to avoid their eyes when ever Kurama draws near. Although you can tell they want to look at him. Want to know what it would be like to be with him."

Ailia clenched her jaw, annoyed at his observant nature. "What I do is my own business Ren. And I have behaved in accordance to your wishes. I have not approached him."

"A wise choice my dear. Get too close and your scent would override the little alterations you've made with your features and our cover would be blown."

Ailia scowled at him. How in the hell did he know I've been close to Kurama before?! She screamed mentally, her mind recalling the altercation with the kitsune at the several weeks ago. She bit her tongue from asking just how much he truly knew, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of being right. So she remained silent, watching Ren slow down and turn to his right down a narrow alleyway, her features darkening as the lean man began to tap on the bricks of the multistoried building on their left. Unable to hold back any longer she asked, "Just what in the hell are you doing?"

"Just be patient with me Ailia, I know you will enjoy this as much as I." He replied as he stopped part way down, tapping three times in rapid succession on a pair of bricks just above his head, smiling with satisfaction as a series of bricks began to move seamlessly sideways revealing a steel door with no handle. In the handle's place, a card slot sat, glowing a faint red.

Ailia raised an eyebrow, looking from the door back to Ren. "What kind of place is this we are attempting to enter?"

"The kind of place run for and by demons of course." Ren replied, withdrawing a black plastic card from the inside pocket of his trench coat before sliding it into the slot and withdrawing it again.

Red became green, an audible clicking noise erupting from the side. The dark haired man smiled, pushing the now unlocked door open revealing a flight of stairs surrounded by red arrows all pointing downward. Shouts of pain, rage and triumphant howling floated upwards in a steady stream, leading Ailia to wonder just what the hell awaited her down below.

Ren noticed her apprehension and laughed before leaping down the stairs two at a time.

Ailia stared at him for a few seconds before looking back over her shoulder.

"Are you coming or not Ailia?" Ren's voice mingled with the bizarre sounds, drawing the woman's attention back to him.

Ailia straightened her spine and clenched her jaw as she started down the stairs, eyeing her darkened surroundings warily, the cries drowning out the sound of the door clicking shut behind her. Within seconds, her booted feet hit the concrete floor, her blue eyes widening in surprise at the scene before her.

A large fighting arena the size of a hockey rink was flooded with a bright light, the only source of illumination in the otherwise darkened area. A massive crowd of spectators both human and otherwise sat in the bleachers that surrounded the arena, their eyes aflame with either anger or elation as they watched two opponents tear away at each other, screaming and hollering all the while. Ailia watched in fascination as the taller demon, for that was what he was, the energy emitted by his lean body unmistakably Youkai, strike the smaller, pale demon square in the face. Blood exploded from the smaller man's lips, nose and head, splattering across the floor of the arena as he went rocketing backwards, slamming into and through the wall a split second later.

Ailia studied the victor who raised his arms in triumph, the blood of his victim flowing down his flesh as he let out a primeval roar that made the skin on the woman's arms bubble in both revulsion and excitement, her sadistic nature coming to the surface. She loved to see pain. She loved to watch the life slowly drain away from people's eyes, the confusion and fear so enticing, she craved it like a drug. I think I'm going to enjoy this. She thought, an evil smile creeping along her lush lips as she turned to Ren. "This is a fight club isn't it?"

Ren nodded, happy to have her approval. "Yes. And tonight I'm going to participate." He replied just as an announcer jumped on stage and declared the lone contestant the winner.

"Kurak the Destroyer has done it again folks!" The wiry announcer shouted into the microphone held in his left hand, his black eyes sweeping across the masses as he continued. "Ten matches in a row. All ending in death. What a show he's put on for us tonight don't you agree?!"

The crowd roared in approval.

The blond demon announcer smiled, sweeping his hand in a wide arc as he began to pivot around. "Shall he take another challenge?! Is anyone willing to face such a brute force?!"

"I WILL!"

The announcer stopped, trying to search out the source of the voice. "Who said that?! Step forward and identify yourself!"

The demon crowd standing around the ring parted like the red sea, revealing a smirking Ren and an excited Ailia.

The dark haired man waltzed up to the edge of the ring with a confident swagger as he spoke. "Kasahiro Minamuto is my name, but you can call me death if you like." He said arrogantly as he removed his trench coat and handed it gently over to Ailia.

Ailia looked at Ren with widened eyes, surprised at the name he had claimed as his own before focusing her gaze on the ring, the smell of sweat and blood too overpowering to ignore.

The announcer features were twisted in curiosity as he watched the human jump onto the reddened surface of the ring, with a practiced grace and power that told him this was no ordinary man.

Ren smirked at the blonde's reaction, quickly rolling the sleeves up on his black dress shirt as he strode forward. His gaze shifted over to the bloodied Youkai, his smirk widening at the undisguised hatred filling the demon's eyes.

"What do you find so amusing human?" The demon growled between his teeth, his breath escaping in almost beastly bursts.

Ren closed his eyes and crossed his arms. "Quite simply that I look forward to killing you."

Kurak snorted as he turned his nose up in disdain, pointing his index finger at the smaller being before him. "The only one dying today will be you puny human."

Ren opened his eyes. "Then why don't you come and get me." He challenged uncrossing his arms, holding the wide open, his features mocking. "Or are you afraid?"

Kurak lowered his arm, amusement crossing his rugged features. "Afraid? Of a human?! Don't make me laugh!"

"Fine. Then I'll come to you." Ren replied, disappearing instantly from view.

Kurak's dark orbs scanned the arena in confusion. Where is that little ...

A sudden force struck the demon in the back, sending him rocketing forward. Kurak bowled through the crowd at the edge of the arena, bodies flying in his wake as he crashed face first into the bleachers. Blood exploded from his face and body but Kurak didn't seem too affected as he rose quickly to his feet, crimson fluid flying off in a wide arc as he whirled around. With an angry snarl he leaped high into the air, landing with a loud thud onto the arena once more. His enraged eyes met the amused ones of Ren who stood still, his features still mocking.

"Still think I'm a simple human Kurak? Why don't you show me your true form before I get bored and decided to kill you right now?"

Kurak growled, reaching up to wipe away the blood from his eyes before lowering his hand once again. "You want to see my true form human? Then I will show you!" He snarled, straightening his frame. Lifting his arms to the sides he crooked his forearms, his hands closing into fists as a strange red energy flared around him. Muscles began to expand, bones snapped and refigured themselves, his jaw lengthening, turning into a muzzle as dark blue fur erupted from his once light hued skin. Any semblance to a human was gone. In it's place stood a monster. And a pissed off one at that. "Prepare to die human!" Kurak gnashed through his deadly jaws as he charged forward so quickly, Ren had no chance to react. The blue furred demon swiped his clawed hand viciously forward, striking the dark haired man in the chest, through the thin material of his dress shirt. Claws scraped across his flesh, four deep crimson lines appeared instantly, blood spurting out and onto Kurak's arm.

Ren stumbled backward, clasping his chest in pain but an amused smile was still plastered upon his face. Excellent. He thought happily, Now I can put what I've studied and practiced to the test. "Very good Kurak. You've exceeded my expectations." He said with a cough as he dropped to his knees and lowered his head.

Kurak stopped his attack, backing away slightly, reveling it what he mistook as a sign of resignation and defeat. "You see now how foolish you were to challenge me human!" He roared charging forward once more.

Ren made no move to stop him.

Kurak raised his fist ready to strike him down. "DIE !!!!!!!"

The dark haired man's head suddenly snapped upright, his eyes no longer the cool shade of gray but rather a dark, swirling sea of anger as he removed his right hand from his chest and clasped the demon's fist. In one swift move, Ren crushed Kurak's hand then let go. With a flick of his wrist Ren unleashed a psychic attack, knocking the furred demon viciously backwards. Kurak landed into the crowd once again as Ren rose slowly to his feet, the blood smeared across his exposed flesh pulling back into his wounds, the skin closing until it was perfect once more.

"That's pretty impressive Kurak." He said with an amused smile as he watched the ten foot demon free himself from the stands and leap onto the edge of the ring, clutching his ruined hand. "You actually managed to wound me with your new found energy. However, allow me show you what true power is." A blinding blue light erupted like a flame around Ren, the entire crowd to grasp in fear and disbelief, all except Ailia who watched in fascination, excitement coursing through her veins as she watched Ren power up with a new form of spiritual energy.

"That's ... not possible!" Kurak shouted, recognizing the type of spiritual energy he had only sensed once before, during the dark tournament finals two years ago. "His power .. He's from Reikai!"

Ren smirked as the blinding light dissipated, a pale blue aura now surrounding him as he strode forward. "I'm flattered you recognize my true energy."

Kurak began to back away in fear. "But .. the energy before was human! How can you be from Reikai if you're human!"

"Fool. I'm a combination of all three realms." He replied, raising his right arm. In a quick motion he swung his arm to the side then down.

Kurak cried out in alarm as he felt his body lift then slam into the ground against his will with such force a crater exploded below him. New blood mixed with old as it flowed freely from the various cuts and gashes inflicted on his furred flesh.

Ren smiled, raising his arm once again.

Kurak's body lifted off the ground, levitating in the air a few feet before Ren who brought his palm back. The demon's body complied, righting itself.

"What .. What are you doing to me?" Kurak asked weakly, his eyes full of fear and pain as Ren stepped forward and placed a hand on the blue furred Youkai's forehead. Instantly, a red energy emerged from the demon traveling up Ren's arm and merging with the blue aura that surrounded him.

"What only those of Reikai blood can do." He replied, letting out a cry as he absorbed the full energy of Kurak.

The demon's fur and muzzle retracted back, his body growing smaller as he returned to his original form.

Ren released his hold.

Kurak fell back onto the ground, a lifeless husk of his former self.

Red and blue merged turning black, the power so great it shook the whole building. The lights flickered on and off for several seconds until at last the ground stopped shaking and all was back to normal.

Ailia blinked several times, not believing what she was sensing as she watched Ren approach slowly towards her before collapsing forward onto the ring with a bone crunching thud. An image erupted within her mind, an image long buried but never truly forgotten.

The image of a man with short dark hair, his body bloodied and battered, his clothing tattered, his once gentle face now stained red. Unmoving. A corpse.

Ailia flinched as she felt someone bump into her, the image vanishing as quickly as it had come. Where the hell did that come from! Her mind snarled, shaking her head to rid herself of such cumbersome emotions. She focused her attention back on Ren, a rare feeling of concern tingeing at her cold heart as she rushed to his side. "Ren." She whispered, reaching out to touch his forehead, brushing away the sweat soaked strands of hair plastered against his pale flesh. "What did you do?"

The dark haired man opened his eyes slowly, grimacing as he spoke in a strained voice. "It ... works ... Ailia." Was all he managed to get out before unconsciousness claimed him and he grew still once more.

Ailia frowned. What the hell are you talking about Ren? She wondered twisting her head to the side as she felt the crowd around her cower in fear. So they sensed it too. She thought with a a smirk as she returned her gaze upon her leader. Of course! She cried mentally as she dragged the unconscious man off of the ring. Wrapping her right arm around his waist and his left arm around the back of her neck, she began to walk towards the steps. She knew exactly what he meant. We are now one step closer to achieving our revenge. She thought triumphantly, her smile widening as the crowd around her parted far away, too afraid to challenge her. Smart demons. She added silently as she made her way out of the building into the open air of the alleyway. A sudden wind rushed around the pair, lifting the litter that covered the ground. The debris swirled around them like the vortex of a tornado and in a blink of an eye the pair were gone and only the settling debris remained.

Sometime later, Ailia found herself sitting silently beside a king size bed, her blue eyes focused on the prone form of Ren, his lean body covered up to his neck in a large black comforter. His breathing was even and his features peaceful. And although to all appearances it seemed Ailia was diligently watching over her leader, in reality she was trapped in the past. In her past. Haunted by visions triggered after the collapse of Ren.

She found herself running. Running through smoke, coughing as it invaded her lungs, choking her as she struggled to call out, "Sojo! Sojo where are you?!"

After several minutes of searching, the smoke suddenly cleared, revealing a scene of such annihilation and horror, Ailia could do little but gasp. Everything was gone. Her village was gone. Her people were dead. Bodies strung about like trash. Her blue eyes filled with tears as they at last fell upon a dark haired man. With baby steps, she crept forward, her heart not wanting to admit to what she was seeing. Who did this? Why? She cried mentally as she collapsed onto her knees beside the dead man. She reached out, her hands shaking so badly she had trouble just touching the shoulder of the body. With a push, the man was turned over.

"Oh my God." She murmured, her hand snapping up to her mouth to hold down the bile that rose in her throat. "No! No! No!!!!!" She screamed, shaking her head violently back and forth.

A small boy was cradled against the man's chest, as lifeless as the one who held him.

She fell forward, tears streaming down her pale cheeks as she wept for the ones she had lost. The ones closest to her who would never again be able to talk. Never again would she hear the words she longed to hear from their pale lips. Never again would they say ...

"Ailia?"

The dark haired woman jumped, startled by the sudden contact of a hand upon her shoulder. She blinked several times, coming out of a daze as she shifted her eyes right, looking up to find a concerned Kigorei looking down at her.

"You've been crying." The blond spoke gently, removing his hand as he studied the woman with confused eyes. "What is wrong?"

Ailia reached up and quickly dried her tears, angered at being seen in such a vulnerable position. "It is none of your concern Kigorei. So mind your own damn business." She said coldly as she rose out of her seat and strode out of the room.

Kigorei frowned, turning his gaze briefly over to his leader before pivoting and following Ailia out of the room. He watched in mild curiosity as the dark haired woman stalked over to the kitchen and ripped open the refrigerator, pulling out a bottle of Mer lot and slamming the door shut. She pulled out the cork and poured some wine into the crystal goblet on the counter. She snaked the glass and brought it up to her lips before tossing it back and swallowing the contents in one gulp and pouring another. The blond man made a move forward, about to question the woman further when the sudden sound of Ren's voice stopped him.

"Don't worry about Ailia, Kigorei. She's just fine."

All eyes turned to the half dressed dark haired man who smirked at them as he walked forward, his bare feet making no sound upon the wood floor as he entered the kitchen. He stopped beside the refrigerator, reaching up to open the cupboard door on his right. He withdrew a goblet, closing the door before walking over to Ailia and holding out his glass.

The blue eyed woman stared briefly at him before pouring some wine into his glass and then refilling her own.

Ren sipped the contents briefly before lowering the goblet, a triumphant smile on his lips.

Tahomen was the first to break the silence. "Are you feeling well brother?" He asked, lowering the green book clutched within his large hands as he sat on the couch in front of the TV. "You seem ... different somehow."

"Indeed I am brother. I have changed." Ren said with a smile as his gray eyes focused on the book within Tahomen's hands. "I see you're reading grandfather's journal again."

Tahomen nodded, looking down at the green cover. "I thought it prudent to brush up on the various areas of Reikai."

Ren's smile widened, an almost manic gleam in his eyes. "And we will get there very soon my brother. Sooner than I anticipated."

Tahomen's eyes widened. Of course, he thought. The energy I'm sensing. It's changed. "You have perfected it then?" He asked, his voice raised in hope.

Ren did not answer right away as he looked down at the goblet in his hands, swishing the contents idly. "There are some kinks that need to be ironed out but rest assured when I do, I will need you to learn as well."

"And what about us?" Lina's voice interjected as she rose off the chair to the right of Tahomen, unable to hold her voice any longer. "Kigorei and I seem unable to learn many of the techniques you have already acquired."

Ren turned his attention on her. "That is because you two are not from Reikai." He replied coolly. "However, you have learned other methods that will help me immensely when the time comes to strike." He answered, shifting his gaze over to Ailia who stared at him, her eyes aglow with the same light that now ignited within the dark haired man's eyes. "Soon, the revenge we have planned for so long will come to fruition. Soon we will strike down the spirit detectives and Reikai will be ours for the taking." He added with a smile as he pivoted around the kitchen counter, walking purposefully over to the book shelf where the scroll sat. Resting his hand upon the scroll he lowered his head and closed his eyes. Soon grandfather I will achieve what you could not. I will complete the promise of revenge and our family will be at peace once more.

*******

"Are you sure you want to do this alone Botan?" Ayame asked as she stood outside the palace grounds, her concerned blue eyes focused on the determined features of the deity.

Botan nodded, tucking her hands into the sleeves of her pink kimono, shivering slightly at the cool breeze that rushed past, her amethyst eyes transfixed to the east, scanning the horizon where the sun began to rise, blanketing the landscape of Reikai in a warm and comforting light. "I can handle this Ayame." She replied, shifting her gaze over to the dark haired ferry girl.

"I believe you Botan." Ayame replied, reaching into the blue sash wrapped around her slender waist, pulling out a communicator which she held out for Botan to take. "In case you lose your way." She said with a smile.

Botan took the device and tucked it into her sash. "Thank you."

"Do you remember the directions I gave you?"

The deity nodded. "I remember." She replied, mentally going over what they had discussed a few hours prior. Botan had awoken early, well rested after the love and support she had received from Kurama via their bond. She had sought out Ayame and relayed her desire to visit some more villages within Reikai. Having already visited most of those to the east and west, Botan decided to try north. Ayame gave her the information she needed and agreed to remain behind to search for the missing pages, killing two birds with one stone. Botan smiled, her mind filled with thoughts of Kurama. Even if she could not see him, the feelings he held for her were so strong, so loving it brought a sense of calm to her troubled heart and mind. Once again he had saved her from herself and her despair. And I will return that favor now. For both our sakes. She vowed, stretching her right arm up and to the side. An oar materialized out of thin air which Botan hopped onto, her legs dangling to the side as she lifted herself slowly up into the air.

"Be careful Botan." Ayame called out with a wave.

Botan smiled. "Don't worry about me Ayame. We're in Reikai. Nothing bad ever happens here." She replied with a wave before rising high into the sky. The deity zoomed off towards the snow capped mountains in the distance.

"Good luck Botan." Ayame murmured as she watched the deity disappear into the morning sky before returning to the palace to begin her search anew within the confines of the it's walls.

******

Kurama marched methodically over the half court line of Tsunaki arena, his emerald eyes focused on all his teammates, his bare chest glistened slightly with sweat as they continued basketball practice. His red athletic shorts swished violently from the sudden rush forward as he shifted the ball to his left hand and twisted away from the defender, the constant pounding of the ball on the wood floor echoing loudly in the nearly empty arena. His gaze shifted at lightning speed as he searched for his bare chested comrades. All of them seemed to be guarded by their shirted opponents, no opening presenting itself.

Kurama's defender returned within an instant in front of him, invading his space as was required of him. The kitsune had other ideas, busting inside drawing an extra defender onto him, faking the shot as he passed quickly to his left to Yoh who now stood alone along the three point line. Without hesitation Yoh took the shot, the ball arcing high into the air before slamming through the hoop with a swish.

"Nothing but net!" Akira said with smirk as he tore off towards the opposite end of court.

Kurama smiled at the comment, pointing briefly at Yoh in encouragement before heading back down the court. He was glad to see how quickly Yoh was adapting to the people around him. The longer they played the more comfortable he seemed to be. This is good for him. Kurama thought as he covered the shirted team's center, holding a hand in front of his face just as the man shot. The kitsune quickly turned, jumping high in the air, grabbing the rebound as the ball bounced off the rim and into his outstretched hands. He held the ball tight to his chest, protecting it from being stripped, waiting for the defenders to back off slightly before tossing the ball left and over to Yoh, allowing the small forward to set the pace of the next shot.

To those on the outside, it would seem as if Kurama was in complete control. Cool, calm and collected. But inside. Inside he was a swirling sea of doubt and anger, his thoughts far away from where he was at the moment. He was still upset over what had happened last night. The pain inflicted upon Botan was due to Koenma. It had to be. Kurama had half a mind to go up to Reikai and confront Koenma. To make him pay for all the anguish he had caused his beloved. To smash that pacifier down the spirit lord's scrawny neck. Kurama shook his head, startled by the violent thoughts swirling in his head. What's wrong with me. He wondered. Why do I feel so angry all of the sudden?

His answer came in the form of Youko's voice. Because he is denying you from seeing the one who is most precious to you. To us. We need to get her back Suuichi. You know this as well as I.

Kurama lowered his head. I know. He replied sadly. But still I ..

Watch out! Youko snapped.

"Huh?" Kurama murmured just as a basketball smacked into the side of his head, the impact startling him more than anything as he turned and looked over to the one who had passed the ball.

"Hey Minamino! What the hell is wrong with you?! Why didn't you catch that pass?!" Akira's deep voice boomed as he bent to retrieve the ball rolling towards him. The tall center stretched his lean frame upright, cradling the ball with his right arm as he eyed the kitsune in concern.

Kurama shook his head, his features as calm and neutral as his voice. "Sorry Akira. Got lost in thought for a minute there."

Akira smirked. "Thinking about your girl were you?"

A flash of pain crossed the kitsune's handsome features but it disappeared in an instant, replaced by that same poker face the red haired man was known for.

Yoh had seen it though, and he could feel an underlying sadness to that look. I wonder what is wrong? The blond thought as his blue eyes drifted away from his new friend as he sought out the owner of the whistle that had just been blown.

A tall, wiry man with slicked back black hair and intelligent brown eyes greeted them with a neutral look as he lowered the whistle back onto the white T-shirt he wore, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his gray sweats as he spoke. "That's enough practice for today gentlemen. Hit the showers!"

"Yes coach Odo." The players replied, heading off towards the lockeroom as the man turned and walked away.

After cleaning up, Kurama walked over to his locker and began to dress, sliding on his red knit boxers then his white socks before slipping into his light blue jeans and green turtleneck. Bending down, the kitsune slipped on his white tennis shoes and quickly tied the laces before rising. Reaching out with his right hand, Kurama pulled out the navy pea coat hung upon the rack of his locker, slid it on and buttoned it then shut the door. Grabbing his black duffel bag, the kitsune exited the locker room to find Akira and the team standing outside.

"Hey Minamino!" Akira called out. "Me and the guys here were going to go into town for a bite to eat. Want to come along?"

Kurama studied the group, frowning as he noticed Yoh was nowhere to be found. "Where is Yoh?" He asked.

"He ducked out of this one." Akira answered. "Claimed he had a meeting to go to." The big man paused walking closer to the kitsune a smirk upon his lips as he added. "Course it could be because we told him we were going to go cruising to look for some chicks."

Kurama almost rolled his eyes. "Not everyone is as upfront and sociable as you Akira. And in case you've forgotten I already have a girlfriend so I think I'll decline."

The tall man's smirk widened. "I was just kidding Suuichi. Lightening up man." He said with a small laugh. "Really we are just going out to lunch. So how about it?"

Kurama wanted to say no. Wanted to go home and ponder what his next move should be. Should he follow Youko's advice or wait patiently like a good boy for Botan to contact him somehow. But his stomach had other ideas, grumbling loudly at the mention of food. With a heavy sigh the kitsune lowered his head in resignation. "I suppose I could get something to eat."

"Alright then!" Akira exclaimed, wrapping Kurama in a head lock as he practically dragged the red haired man out of the arena and into the hallway. "Let's go get some grub!" And with that the group of men headed out into the cool November air, a reluctant kitsune in tow.

*****

Botan flew above the heavily forested landscape of northern Reikai, her amethyst eyes gazing every now and again on the vast varieties of terrain and conifer trees that littered the landscape below. She had been traveling for several hours now and had been surprised to see no sign of settlements or villages anywhere. Other than the occasional bird that flew past, there seemed to be no life at all. As if no one had ever dared venture so far north. The deity knew however, through the information Ayame had given her, that there were indeed villages with in the northern territory of spirit realm. Just that they were far away and not easily accessible to most people.

I wonder why that is? Botan thought as she raced onward, her gaze shifting over to the massive body of water to her right glimmering in the noon day sun, the water so pure and clean the deity could see clear to the bottom. Another glimmer of light caught Botan's attention along the sandy shoreline of the lake. What is that? She wondered as she slowed her flight, hovering just above the tops of some rather large pines scrutinizing the sandy ground below, wondering if she were seeing things or if something was indeed there. When another flash of light caught her eye in the same vicinity as the last one, the deity decided to investigate. Tilting her oar slightly downward, Botan steered herself in the direction of the visual disturbance, moving at a controlled gradual descent, maneuvering around a few rather large pines before landing gently on the sandy ground below.

Botan snapped her fingers, the oar disappearing instantly as she closed the distance between her and the object that had caught her attention, her feet sinking slightly in the shifty granules as she moved forward. At last she reached the object, crouching down to retrieve it's hold within the sand. Straightening her slender frame, Botan frowned as she studied the object within the palm of her left hand.

"It's a mirror." She murmured, wondering how such an object came to be in such an untamed and unspoiled area. She shifted her gaze upright, her frown turning into a look of surprise as her eyes spotted more objects within her field of vision. She charged up the small incline of the shore, sweeping her gaze in awe at what she saw before her. There, situated between the massive trunks of pines several man made structures could be seen. Dilapidated and unoccupied for several hundreds of years, they were still recognizable as those of Reikai homes.

What is this place? Botan wondered as she marched forward. This village, when ever it had existed, wasn't listed on Ayame's map guide. There should be no village for another fifty miles yet. She thought as she entered one of the homes, careful to avoid the rather large tiles from the collapsed roof that littered the floor. Her eyes cased the destroyed structure, ash and soot littering the ground, the walls blackened. Burned. This home had been set on fire. But by whom? And why? She wondered as she exited the home, her eyes drifting over to the lake but a small distance away, a gentle breeze rushing past, sweeping up bits of sand that smacked into the deity's face. Botan closed her eyes and waited for the wind to pass through before opening her eyes once again. Something pulled at her heart and mind just then. A memory long ago. A memory she hadn't known existed. No longer did she see the untamed landscape of the present. Rather she found herself barely able to stare above the tall reeds of grass that blanketed the sandy ground in front of her. The deity reached out only to gasp and retract her hand when she noticed how small they seemed.

Botan shook her head, coming into the present once again, relieved to find her eyes far above the level of grass. What the hell just happened? She wondered as she brought her hand up to study them. Sure enough they were a woman's hands and not a child's as she had witnessed a few seconds prior. The deity looked over her shoulder once again to the destroyed structures, confusion and an odd sense of grief rising to the surface. Could it be, I've been here before, when I was little? She wondered. Botan knew so little of her past. She had never truly known her origins or who her ancestors were. Her parents faces were blank, her past shrouded in darkness. But then why did I just have this memory?

The deity let out a sigh. She would ask Ayame later about this place. Perhaps she would know more about what happened. Botan reasoned as she materialized her oar and quickly hopped on, rising rapidly up into the air before setting off towards her final destination, the village of Torandai.

A short while later, Botan made her way into Torandai, surprised at the sheer size of the establishment, as large and bustling as some of the cities the deity had visited in the human world. Although the structures were similar to the rest of the villages within the spirit realm, the people seemed genuinely happy and friendly. Everyone greeted the deity with a nod or a polite smile as she walked along the crowded sidewalk. One gentleman had even been so kind as to escort her to the village library. She had thanked him politely smiling as she looked into his friendly azure eyes, her smile widening slightly as he gave her a small wink and a bow before turning and walking back the way he had come, the wind gently tugging at his short black hair as the man rounded the corner out of sight.

Botan watched him go before turning and entering the building. A short time later, the deity exited the library, her features fallen. Another failed mission. Another chance gone. She walked slowly, her mind troubled. She had spent over five hours of travel time to reach the village and without anything to show for it. She was about to head back out of town when someone across the street caught her eye. Botan frowned, trying hard to concentrate on the features of the slender man with dark blond hair walking briskly through the crowd, talking amiably with a taller man with long silver hair pulled back into a ponytail, his arched bangs swinging side to side as he walked. Both were dressed in similar attire. White uniforms with matching cloaks that swished to and fro as the picked up the pace. Botan didn't know why, but the two men seemed familar to her somehow.

Curiosity compelled her to follow and the deity complied, running across the street and quickly blending in with the crowd, making sure to mask her chi as she stayed a safe distance back. There she continued for some time, frowning as she notice the two men veer off the now unpaved walkway to the stone road that led up to a rather large and opulent palace situated just below the snow capped mountains nearby. Surrounded by woodland terrain on both sides of the road, Botan decided to play it safe and duck into the forest, keeping out of sight while not losing sight of the two men.

Why am I doing this? Botan wondered as she carefully avoided the numerous broken branches that littered the forest floor.

An answer came to her but not in the way she expected as her ears suddenly perked up and her eyes widened as she heard the blond man utter a name. A name very important to the deity's life.

" .... Kurama .."

Botan could hardly believe it. Did I just hear that? She wondered in disbelief as she stopped her pursuit. Who are these men and how do they know about Kurama? A thought came to Botan's head. One she didn't want to believe. Could it be ... her mind started then paused before continuing again, Could they be Reikai elders? If that were true, then not only was she in trouble but Kurama and Koenma as well. What do I do? She wondered as she shifted her gaze back to the road, letting out a small cry of surprise. The men were nowhere to be seen. Where had they gone to? Botan rushed forward, struggling up the incline that seemed to get steeper and more rockier with every step she made. She had to know who they were and what they knew. She had to.

Botan knew she could use her oar, but by doing so she would have to use spiritual energy thus giving away her presence. So she continued on foot, her pace brisk, her eyes so intently focused on the road to some distance to the side of her, she was unprepared to deal with the loose, rocky ground that greeted her sandled feet. With a cry of surprise and fear, Botan flew backwards, grasping futilely at the air as she landed hard on her back, sliding and rolling down the hill, wincing in pain as she struck rock after rock, the stone slicing through her kimono, drawing blood. Botan let out a cry as her forehead struck a large stone jutted halfway out of the dirt, her world erupting in a blaze of exploding red light, her pale features now stained red from the long gash along her delicate skin. She was no longer truly aware of her fall even as her body came to a stop, smacking into the large trunk of a maple with such force, several leaves broke off, floating gently down around her prone form. "Ku .. ra .. ma ..." She murmured through bloodied lips, her eyelids growing heavy as the darkness called and she answered, succumbing to it's cold embrace.

*****

"Suuichi?! Suuichi?! What's wrong?! Answer me?!" Akira ordered his friend, his features visibly upset as he reached out and shook the red haired man's shoulder.

One minute they had been eating their lunch, talking about the upcoming season, and the next minute the kitsune had gone as pale as a ghost, dropping his chopsticks and staring into space with the most pained look on his face, it was all the tall man could do not to cry.

Kurama gave no answer to Akira's request, his features full of shock, his eyes glazed in pain as he stared straight ahead. Botan? Botan?! His mind screamed. He had felt her distress, felt her pain, felt every blow she suffered. Something was wrong. Something had happened to her in Reikai. Kurama rose out of his seat, making no apologies as he tore out of the restaurant, his frantic eyes darting about as he tested the area for the nearest portal to spirit world. His features tightened in worry. The nearest access point was deep within Nikko National park several miles away. The kitsune tore off back in the direction of the park. Fueled by his adrenaline and fear, Kurama obtained a speed that surpassed the human eye. It was several minutes later before Kurama reached the access point, raising his spiritual energy to allow entrance through.

Kurama arrived in spirit world, whirling around as he tried to get a handle on just exactly where in Reikai he was. He found himself standing near a large mountain base similar to the one inside Nikko National park. Conifer trees abounded the terrain, no living creatures Reigen or otherwise in sight. The kitsune calmed himself, focusing his mind, reaching out with the bond he shared with Botan, trying to locate her. There! His mind cried as he slowly opened his eyes and focused on the forest before him. She was very far away. Hundred of miles to be exact. I must not linger. He told himself as he began to rush forward only to stop as Youko spoke.

I can get us there faster. The fox demon said in an urgent voice so unlike his usual grumpy one that Kurama couldn't help but smile.

Of course. Kurama replied, standing still as he concentrated. A burst of black energy erupted around the kitsune, completely shrouding his body. When at last the electric energy disappeared, Youko stood in Suuichi's place, his fox ears twitching and a determined look in his golden orbs as he shot forward, his speed ten times that of his human form. Hang on Botan. Youko thought as he rushed through the forest at blinding speed. We're coming.

*****

"Ayame, have you seen Botan? I need to speak with her about what happened yesterday and I ..." Koenma started then stopped as he walked into his office, noticing how withdrawn the research assistant seemed to be. "Ayame?"

The dark haired woman turned her head towards him, her features pale a communicator clutched in her hand.

Koenma didn't like the concerned look upon Ayame's face. "What is it Ayame?"

"Botan ... " Ayame started, pausing as her features tightened in worry. "She hasn't come back from Torandai yet."

Koenma frowned. "She went to Torandai and hasn't returned yet? How long has she been gone?"

"Since this morning." Ayame answered, her eyes darkening as she noticed the angered look on the toddler lord's face. "And no my lord, she is not with Kurama. See for yourself."

Koenma looked up at the monitor surprised to find it on. He quickly studied the darkened landscape. Sure enough Botan was not in the human world. But then neither was Kurama. Typing in a quick series of commands via the remote in his hand, the spirit lord looked up at his monitor, his features tightening in both concern and anger. "Dammit!" Koenma cursed out the side of his mouth, biting down so hard on his pacifier it broke in two as he dropped the remote and tore out of his office, a startled and concerned Ayame close behind.

*******

Rain fell hard from the darkened sky above the northern region of Reikai, bathing the land with it's life giving force. Youko shook the water out of his eyes, growling under his breath as he maneuvered around a series of trees, drawing closer to his deity. He was so close to her now, the need to see her, to hold and protect her so great even Youko could not deny it. He could only hope she wasn't injured too badly. Injured. Youko thought with a frown, angered at the thought of anything bad happening to his love.

The fox demon stopped just outside of a rather large village, surprised at it's size. What is this place? He wondered, darting his eyes about, constantly on the look out for anyone nearby. He didn't want to be seen, didn't want to be sensed. He suppressed his power as much as he could before continuing on, remaining in the shadows as he rushed ahead, circumventing the village until at last he reached to opposite side of town and the woodland area under the mountain landscape. No longer able to keep silent, Youko called out, "Botan?! Botan answer me?!" He cried as he rushed up the incline beside the stone road, skidding to a stop, his eyes widening in shock and horror as he spied something resting against the base of a rather large maple tree.

"Botan!" Kurama cried, rushing instantly to her side, reaching out with a trembling hand to brush away the damp strands of hair clinging to her bloodied face. "Botan?" His voice came out in a tortured whisper as he studied the state her body was in. Her kimono was torn and bloodied, her features slack and her heart beat faint. Youko frowned, tilting his head back as the rain fell down around and on them. Lowering his gaze back upon his beloved, the fox spirit reached out and gently scooped the unconscious deity into his strong arms. I have to get her out of this rain before she dies of exposure. He thought searching the area, his ears twitching at the pinging sounds of water against the trees and on the rocky ground. But where? His ears twitched again, a smile forming on his lips exposing his incisors. That will do. He thought as he rushed upward, unencumbered by the harsh, unforgiving ground as he disappeared farther into the wooded land, his eyes studying the rocky wall before him as he walked along it's massive formation until at last he found what he was looking for.

*******

Youko held tightly to Botan as he leaned against the cold, sharp wall of the cave he discovered a short time earlier, lending her the warmth of his body as he gazed down upon her bruised features. The fox spirit let out a sigh, allowing himself to rest a little from the constant running and searching as he slid to the base of the cave. He loosened his hold, resting Botan in his lap as he retracted his left hand away and brought it up to the deity's face. Closing his eyes, Youko traced his index finger along the gash upon her forehead, a soft white light erupting around the wound, the skin mending, returning to normal. He opened his eyes and stared down into the deity's face, a tender smile gracing his lips. Already he could sense her strength returning but her other wounds were in need of tending. And in order to get to them he had to remove her kimono.

Youko rose off the floor, gently lowering the Botan to the ground. With practiced care, he untied the sash around the deity's waist and parted the kimono, a sudden heat flaring within him as he gazed upon her perfection. Clenching his jaw, he resisted the urge to touch her, focusing his eyes away from her curves to the numerous bruises upon her delicate skin. Desire was quickly overcome by concern as he reached out, ignoring the way her skin felt under his fingers as he healed each wound. He was halfway through with the healing process when the deity's eyelids snapped open. Frightened amethyst eyes met the concerned gold ones of the Youkai. With an indignant cry she bolted upright, scooting away from the fox spirit, clutching the kimono tightly against her chest, her disorientated eyes darting about in the darkened cave.

Youko made a move towards her only to stop as the deity cried out, "Stay away!"

Youko studied her with wounded eyes, hurt she didn't recognize him. Realizing she couldn't see in all the darkness, he decided to speak. "Botan," He said softly, his deep voice calm and soothing as he stood still. "It's me, Kurama."

The deity grew still, calming herself, her eyes widening as she sensed the unmistakable presence of her lover. Disorientation gave way to relief as Botan rose to her feet and rushed into his arms, mumbling an apology into the white uniform of the fox spirit.

"It's okay Botan." Youko spoke softly holding her close only to frown when the deity pulled back. "Botan?"

The blue haired ferry girl's eyes adjusted to the darkened atmosphere of the cave, a look of surprise upon her features as she gaze upward into the features of her love's Youko self.

Kurama sensed her confusion and slight apprehension and rather than see her upset anymore, he turned away and willed himself back to his human form, his white toga replaced by his ningen clothing once more. "I'm sorry if I frightened you Botan." Kurama said with a tired smile as he turned around, his now emerald eyes gazing at the deity with such deep love and affection, Botan wanted to run into his arms. "I truly wasn't trying to take advantage of you. I was merely healing your wounds."

Botan looked away from Kurama to the open kimono clutched in her hands, a deep red blush spreading along her cheeks at the thought of the kitsune seeing her in her lingerie. "I know that." She said with a small whisper, her body shivering as a cold blast of damp air entered the cave and swirled around her. "I was just ... surprised. That's all."

Kurama frowned, noticing how cold the deity was. Bending down he retrieved the light blue sash. "Here." He said softly as he walked up to Botan and handed her the material.

"Thank you." Botan whispered, gently accepting the sash from Kurama's outstretched hand and quickly tying it back around her waist before returning her gaze up at the kitsune's face. The pain she saw there reflected the pain she felt in her heart. Remembering everything that had happened yesterday. The weakness in her resolve to stay away from Kurama in order to keep them both safe rising to the surface now that he was here with her. "I'm sorry to cause you such trouble Kurama. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and I ...." Botan broke down, unable to voice all the emotions swirling within her heart. Too much had happened. It was too much for her to bear. She was tired of this. Tired of denying the need to be with the one person most precious to her. She fell to the ground on her knees, the tears flowing freely onto the cold hard ground as she became consumed by her grief and heart ache.

"Botan!" Kurama cried, rushing to her side. He wrapped his arms protectively around the deity as he swept her into his arms and lowered himself to the ground, holding her close. "It's okay Botan. Let it out. Let it all out." He whispered in support and love as he closed his eyes and shared in her pain.

Botan's sobs gradually lessened as she rested her head into the crook of the kitsune's neck.

Kurama smiled as the deity's body relaxed and her breathing returned to normal. "Botan?" He whispered softly, reaching up to caress the back of the ferry girl's head. "Are you sleeping?"

"No." Came the deity's muffled reply as she shifted her head back so that now the two lovers were eye to eye.

Kurama swallowed the lump in his throat at the tender way Botan was looking at him. The need flaring in her eyes equal to his own. The need to show how much they cared for each other. Still Kurama dared not move as he spoke, "Botan I .." He started, only to stop as the deity placed a finger upon his lips.

"Shh .." She sounded gently. "Let me speak first."

Kurama nodded, his eyes never leaving hers as the deity lowered her hand and began. "I want to apologize for not telling you what happened yesterday. And I want to apologize for making you come all the way here to help me." She paused, turning her gaze to the side as she continued once again. "And I'm sorry I cause so much trouble for you. You must find me quite silly at times."

"Sometimes." Kurama conceded, letting out a small laugh as Botan smacked him gamely on the shoulder.

"You're not supposed to agree with me." She chastised him in mock disbelief.

Kurama smiled. "But I like that side of you." He added, reaching out to caress the left side of the deity's cheek.

Botan shivered at the contact, her heart roaring in her ears as Kurama leaned in close so that their lips were less than an inch apart.

"In fact I love that side of you. I love you." He added before pressing his lips against a surprised but very receptive Botan.