Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Artemis, the American Girl ❯ Wise Choices ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wise Choices

KoEnma's office was cluttered with old papers that needed to be filed away. Ferry girls were rushing in and out of the office with stacks of papers in their arms or files.

Botan was just about to rush back in when Hinageshi stopped her. The little red-haired girl looked up at the blue-haired one. She whispered and then moved away.

Artemis watched in a mazment as demons, spirits, and ogres ran about. She was completely out of the way, floating in mid-air on a fire platform, watching them as they scuttled about, not seeming to notice her.

Her ruby eyes lit up at the sight of the ogres and the spirits interacting. She watched as people were passed up or down the line. She had no idea which one was KoEnma, Botan, or Hinageshi. She watched as everything was placed into files, papers, or into the offices around the place. She was so facinated the she didn't notice the floating toddler behind her. She was watching when she heard him clear his through. She whirrled around and stared up a bit at him, her platform had sunk about half a foot.

"I'm KoEnma Diaoh. I'm glad you know how to stay out of our way. Follow me."

She obeyed, moving her platform behind him. She was facinated by the way these creatures interacted and didn't kill one another. She watched as she followed him from the ground. All the ogers seemed to watch her, then run off. She finally stopped behind him.

It was either her imagination, or he looked like a teen all along and she hadn't noticed. His chocolate eyes came down upon her rubie eyes. He sighed. "I'm going to let the other Tenteis meet you. We have ashurances, Yuske and Kurama will acompany you about the Tenteis' halls. Now, scoot in." He paointed at a door. "If you need help, ask your two... guiedes for assitance." He smiled behind his pacifier. "I'll be a holler away."

She pushed the door open as he left. Artemis automatically felt out of place with her long dark blue trench coat, black tunic that was knee-length, black jeans, and, to top it all off, black calf-high boots. Everyone else stared at her. Yuske ran up, grabbed her arm and ran her over to the table he, Kurama, Genkai, and Jin had been seated at. She was forced into a chair between Kurama and Jin. She stared at Kurama and then at Yuske. She was curious what was going on. She opened her mouth to ask when someone stuffed a cup of juice into her hands. She looked over her shoulder, it was Touya. He was walking away, chatting with Shishi. She stared at the juice and put it on the holly table.

The Tenteis' resting court was large in size. There were demons from all types of element, spirits from different places of the globe, and even a few demon/spirits. the tables were rich and carved with elves, names, and some had a few scorch marks from some demon loosing his cool. The walls were mostly glass, over looking the deep forests surrounding KoEnma's "castle" as most called it. The forest had traps set by many master and shenobies. Some killed, other destroyed, it depended on where you went.

Artemis sighed. She had taken a mis-step and had nearly landed herself in a wind trap. Now that she was safe, it was kinda funny to think of it. She sat back, closed her eyes and a sent driffted into her senses. Her eyes snapped open and she heard cries, a plea to make it stop, the sent of blood, the taste of fear. She shook her head, but it kept thundering on. The scream, now she could feel the pain, someone was dying, and he wasn't giving up, he kept on screaming. She saw blood, knives, whips, and it was over.

"Artemis?"

"Someone's going to die." It came out a hiss. "He's going to die."

A shriek like a kife split the air.
"He's trapped." She vanished, rushing out to help him. She smelt his blood. She stopped the trap from hurting him.

He was a young man with streaked red-blond hair, he wore a red shirt that was tainted with his blood. She raced over to help him. He was limp.

As she took him down from the trap, her hands errupted into flames, burning the ropes away. He fell into her arms. Hearing footsteps approaching at a run, she turned around and saw Yuske and the others running up.

"Suzuku!" Jin yelled.

The yound man looked up, his blue eyes glimmered with relife. She placed him with the others and inspected the handy work of a deffinate former assasin. She stepped on a rope and felt the stabe of pain in another person. Someone had died recently. She looked about for a corpse and found one, decapitated, dead, and was pritty much decayed to the bone.

"Who set this trap?" she asked Yuske after they had gotten back inside. "The one that nearly killed Suzuku killed another person."

"Oh, that trap was set by Enma himself. He didn't mean to, but it killed his wife after KoEnma was born." Yuske looked down at his friend. "I hope he get's better."

"Your a Physc, aren't you?" Genkai asked.

"No, I just can feel something as it happens or moments before it happens. My fire ki has been acting up lately, like something happened to my amulet before I got it. Kinda like I'm possesed."
"Well, I see wind, plant, fire, lightning, dark, and light ki in you," Kurama pointed out. "I mean, it's like you've got another Jin, me, Hiei, and Genkai in you."

Artemis went red in the face. "I-well, you see-"

"What?"

Artemis took a deep breath and stood her ground. In an earth shattering moment, there were teen girls all about the room. Artemis sighed a breath of relife. "Better?"

"Who are they?" Kurama asked.

"Long story short, we're her 'others' that live inside her."