Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enma's Torment Theatre ❯ Old Enemies Long Gone/The Return of the Crow ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Enma’s Torment Theatre: Season Two
Episode Thirty-Two: Old Enemies Long Gone/The Return of the Crow
Story: Lullaby
Story by: Moerae
Msted by: Rose and Chrissy

This is an older fic, so we were unable to contact the author and are unsure if she’s even still online. We did try though. Our sincerest apologies.

---

Soft, deft fingers poked the stones dotting his chest playfully. Zelgadis sat still under the treatment, attempting not to laugh at the light, ticklish touches. Currently he laid bare for his Mazoku lover’s teasing inspection, and he tried not to blush too much. It wasn’t like they hadn’t gone this far before. It just wasn’t fair that Xellos still had all his clothes on.

He decided to speak his thoughts. “This isn’t fair.”

“Oh? What isn’t?” Xellos looked up, gleaming eyes filled with curiosity.

“This,” Zelgadis emphasized, waving a hand at both of them. “Isn’t it supposed to be a mutual event?”

Xellos giggled, catching on. “Normally, it’s allowed to make it up as you go along.”

“Oh.”

“Saa. Don’t worry about it.” The purple-haired being kissed him softly, still smiling with amusement, though thankfully not in a cruel way. Zelgadis had begun to wonder just how much humanity had rubbed off on the other man. Sometimes, he still felt that he couldn’t trust Xellos, until the Mazoku when out of his way to prove it to him. Not that he thought Xellos did it out of kindness—Xellos wasn’t a very kind person. That was alright, because neither was he. Xellos acted nice toward him just because he wanted to, which was how he did everything in life. Besides, it was a little too late to be having trust issues with the priest, wasn’t it? He’d already given him his soul.

Or, at least he’d tried to. That reminded him; The bastard still hadn’t told him what he’d taken.

“I didn’t know we’d come to that point though,” Xellos said, smirking deviously.

Zelgadis blushed deeper. “W-well, maybe.” It made him feel strange, and oddly comforted, that Xellos was waiting until he was ready. He was, though, and the priest probably knew that. The reason Zelgadis couldn’t bring himself to move to the next step was that he wasn’t sure how far they could take it. He didn’t want to hurt Xellos.

Xellos’ smile softened. “Or maybe not,” he teased, biting gently on the tip of one of Zelgadis’ long ears.

The younger man gasped, surprised at the feel of teeth. “Maybe I would… if you told me what you took for the Pledge.”

Xellos sighed, closing his eyes. He licked Zelgadis’ ear slowly, tasting stone and salt. The chimera’s skin was always a source of wonder to him. It wasn’t quite rock, but it definitely wasn’t skin either, and the only way one could tell was to taste it. “Must we talk of such trivial things now, Zelgadis?”

“Yes.” Zelgadis pulled away. He sat up and folded his arms over his chest stubbornly. “You’re not getting any until you tell.”

This startled Xellos. Just a little bit. “But, Zel-honey…”

“Don’t ‘Zel-honey’ me, you manipulative bastard. Talk.”

Xellos tried to crawl closer to the shaman, who just moved away from him. Zelgadis was smiling slightly, most likely his antics, but the Mazoku still knew he was serious about this. “Zelgadis…”

“I mean it.”

Xellos sighed more loudly now. “It’s not the sort of thing I want people to know.”

“Not even me?” Zelgadis stopped moving so Xellos had to look him in the eye. “You can’t trust me?”

“And you trust me?” Xellos countered.

“Would I have offered you my soul if I didn’t?” Zelgadis shot back. He took Xellos’ hands in his. While it was true he sometimes felt Xellos was untrustworthy, that didn’t necessarily mean that he didn’t trust him. Perhaps it was foolish, but he’d already taken the leap and there was no going back now.

“Ah, true.” Xellos saw the earnestness in the young man’s face. That same emotion that had always been with Zelgadis, that had attracted his attention even after he’d noticed how powerful the chimera was. He was touched beyond words that Zelgadis had come to trust him. “Alright, I’ll do it. But if you tell anyone,” he added cheerfully, holding up a finger, “I’ll break the Stone myself.”

Zelgadis nodded, smiling. “Deal. Now talk.”

Since Zelgadis had stopped moving, Xellos used this opportunity to move closer. A part of him was disgusted he had become so clingy, but there was something that made him want to keep Zelgadis near, all the time. It disturbed him, but he couldn’t resist the urge. “Well, it can be debated on how dissimilar it is from your soul, but it is technically not the same thing.” Zelgadis didn’t interrupt, just waited patiently for Xellos to spit it out. Not that he’d really had any other choice from the beginning. “Nor is it anything that you would miss, because you’d already given it to me.”

Zelgadis blinked. He couldn’t remember ever giving Xellos anything. The Mazoku was always the one giving gifts, though odd as they were. What the hell was he supposed to do with skin lotion anyway? “I don’t understand.”

Xellos smiled. “That’s because I’m being elusive!”

“Xellos. Forever is a long time to go without sex.”

Xellos coughed slightly. “Yes, indeed. Well, it so happens…”

“Yeah?”

Xellos murmured something Zelgadis could just barely hear.

“My what?”

“Your love,” Xellos confessed finally, lips pressed against Zelgadis’ coarse neck. “I considered it to be worth more than your soul, so I turned it into a loophole.”

Zelgadis thought about that for a moment, then smiled. “That’s so romantic, Xellos,” he teased.

Xellos cringed, embarrassed. “Yes, I know.”

Zelgadis chuckled and pulled back enough to kiss Xellos’ pale cheek. “It’s alright, you know.” Then he thought about the Mazoku’s true nature and became worried. “Unless it’s hurting you…” Positive emotions were supposed to cause Xellos’ people harm, after all. Love was about as positive as they got.

“Oh, no, it’s not that.” Xellos smiled sheepishly. “My own perception of love is that it is pain.”

“So… being in love with me makes you feel miserable?”

“And happy at the same time,” Xellos added cheerfully. “Yet another loophole. You see?”

“I think so.” He really didn’t know how being happy and miserable at the same time could possibly be a “loophole,” but perhaps there was just something he’d missed. Xellos didn’t look like he wanted to talk about it anymore, or anything else for that matter.

“In that case,” Xellos said slowly, “since I told you, does that mean we can have sex now?”

Zelgadis blushed. “Er. Well, if you want, I guess—“

“Ah, but that’s not what I meant. I should have asked, does this mean you are ready?” Xellos smiled coyly, as though he were teasing. Zelgadis wasn’t sure at this point whether he was or not.

One thing he was sure of was Xellos’ seeming willingness to wait until he *was* ready. Not that he had any reason to think that the Mazoku would take advantage of him, but it looked as though he really wouldn’t. He had already thought about this, hadn’t he? Many times, and it was just taking him in circles, thus avoiding Xellos’ question. Was he ready?

Zelgadis nodded slowly. He wouldn’t be afraid of this. “Yeah. I’m ready.”

Xellos smiled widely. “I’m glad.” Then, he smirked and leapt toward the surprised chimera, kissing him deeply. He pulled back only to begin removing his clothing.

Zelgadis watched him with a perverse fascination, not that Xellos was being at all bashful. He knew how good he looked and that was the whole point. The body that Zelgadis saw now was his earthly form. He had seen a brief glimpse of his true form during the ceremony, but other than that he had no clue what Xellos really looked like. Did that matter though? Whether earthly or not, this was still Xellos stripping down before him, skin pale and muscles compact. Everything right were it should be, even down to the dark purple boxers. He was mildly surprised they weren’t embroidered with little bunnies as well.

Xellos tilted his head to the side, a curious gesture. “Does it displease you? I can always switch to a feminine form, if so…”

“No!” Zelgadis nearly choked at the thought, though touched nonetheless at how strangely accommodating Xellos was being. “No, this one’s alright.”

“Ah, that’s good. Because I really am more comfortable as a man…” That said, he inched closer to the blushing shaman once more, fiddling with the fastening on his own trousers. “There’s so many things I can do in this form. You’d be surprised.”

Zelgadis blushed furiously and lifted up so the Mazoku could slide off his white pants. While Xellos’ body was made to be perfect, his own was made to be grotesque. Murky blue skin that was pockmarked with darker colored, larger stones. They covered his brows, chin, and various other places all over his body. But when Xellos looked at him, there was no displeasure in his expression, nor pity or amusement (there should have been *some* amusement, at the very least). Just a sort of odd fondness. “Yeah, I probably would.”

“Iya. Too bad we don’t have any nipple clamps,” Xellos said to himself thoughtfully.

Zelgadis sputtered. “What?!”

Xellos giggled. “I’m joking.” He pushed Zelgadis back onto the bed, straddling his hips. “It will probably be some time before you get to that stage.”

The Chimera gulped, freezing in surprise before finally moving, reaching tentatively to rest his hands on the priest’s waist. Xellos’ expression seemed to convey his approval without changing very much, but that could have been a trick of the light. “That stage?”

“I just mean that you’re new to this.” Xellos smiled cheerfully. “You probably won’t use any dirty talk for a bit longer.”

Zelgadis blushed. He was quite aware what *that* was. “What do you want me to say? ‘Fuck me like an animal?’”

Xellos’ eyes snapped open with stark surprise. He pondered whether or not it was appropriate to laugh at that. “Oh my. So my Zel-bunny isn’t as innocent as he’s led me to believe… Or should I attribute that comment to being around Yuusuke-san?” He winked.

Zelgadis snorted. “Just don’t treat me like a child.”

“Well, I was aiming for understanding…”

“You were teasing too, but also making me feel like a child.”

“My apologies.”

Zelgadis shrugged. He hadn’t been that angry in the first place. With Xellos in his lap, nearly naked, it was rather hard to focus on any one thing. “You’re forgiven,” he said graciously, hands stroking lightly over Xellos’ smooth back. Xellos arched his back, wordless though obviously enjoying the touch. He continued, leaning forward to kiss Xellos’ long neck. The other man tilted his head back, giving Zelgadis more room to explore, and he began licking the skin between kisses.

Xellos kneaded his shoulders encouragingly. He’d always thought stone was supposed to be cold, but Zelgadis seemed to be getting warmer by the minute. The Chimera was all sharp edges and hard muscle; his stone was pliable only to a certain degree, that which allowed him to move and breathe. It would have been very logical to shy away, but Xellos clung to the younger man, to get closer to that inflexible heat.

“Am I hurting you?” Zelgadis suddenly asked, that old worry popping up again.

“I’ll hardly break,” breathed the priest, smiling gently as Zelgadis lifted his head. He felt the loss of his mouth keenly. “Please continue, Zelgadis.”

Zelgadis blushed. “Was I doing alright?”

“More than just alright,” Xellos assured cheekily, licking his lips. Zelgadis grinned and leaned forward again. Now his tongue traveled downward from his neck to his chest. Xellos’ breath sped up accordingly. He brought one of Zelgadis’ hands in between them, sliding it inside his boxers. The hand hesitated before surging to action, lightly touching his length until it became fully hard. Xellos gasped, encouraging the hand to stroke more firmly. It wasn’t a painless touch, as Zelgadis’ hands were just as rough as the rest of him, but that made it even more exquisite. Physical pain was different from spiritual, though he wasn’t sure how he was going to explain that to Zelgadis should the shaman ask. Pushing it from his mind then, since it was hardly important right now, he simply enjoyed the pleasurable sensations.

Zelgadis did not have the insight into Xellos' unique perspective, so he decided to remove his hand and replace it with something much more smooth--his mouth. It only took a mild readjustment of their positions before Xellos was thrusting up into his mouth, gasping out his name in surprise. Zelgadis wasn't sure he was doing it right, but he took it slowly, having enough foresight to know to avoid biting or nicking the sensitive member with his teeth. Xellos clutched at the chimera's hair, bending the strands out of proportion, but at this point, it was the least of the priest's concerns.

Zelgadis explored the tender flesh with his tongue. He licked along the erection’s tip, enjoying the salty taste of pre-cum, despite it being new and unusual. Xellos’ thighs tightened around his head and he soothingly rubbed one of the soft legs with his free hand. He loved the feel of Xellos’ skin, especially when they were like this, and felt the urge to touch him all over. He slid his hand down until and cupped Xellos’ backside, giving it a squeeze and causing the Mazoku to thrust upward again and cry out.

His skin seemed more sensitive now, and all of Zelgadis’ touches had Xellos moaning with increasing enthusiasm. It had been an incredibly long time since he had felt this way, and even then it hadn’t been like this. Xellos felt as though he could jump out of his body--but given the complexity of his nature, that wasn’t much of a stretch.

Zelgadis continued to suck the dark priest's member, now more eagerly. The passion of the encounter enveloped them both, as Xellos came closer and closer to orgasm. He was thrusting his hips up harder, and Zelgadis decided it would be better to move with him instead of holding him down, as to avoid choking. Though Xellos’ gasps weren't loud, his voice was sexy nonetheless, and now it was driving the Chimera wild. Zelgadis could listen to the Mazoku all night, a carnal rhapsody of arousal and pleasure.

It wasn't before long that the now deft tongue and mouth belonging to Zelgadis brought his lover to orgasm. The ejaculation was quick and intense, a rush of pleasure that ended with Xellos screaming his lover’s name in passion. Zelgadis was almost shocked to hear him scream so loud; it was a stark contrast to the somewhat quiet gasps the Mazoku had been making before. Zelgadis swallowed his lover's come, noticing the somewhat distinct yet pleasurable aftertaste it left in his mouth.

Xellos laid back on the sheets, sweating and trying to catch his breath. However, Zelgadis continued to eye his lover with a predatory look in his eyes, licking his lips. The room seemed darker than when they had begun making love, yet the Mazoku beamed in the surrounding darkness. Thus admiring the panting man, he crawled to lie beside him and take him in his arms, kissing him gently. He had thought that Xellos was tired, but this proved wrong as he felt a very confident hand grab hold of his erection. He gasped and gave a quick thrust.

Xellos smirked. “I should probably return the favor, shouldn’t I?”

For a moment, just a moment, Zelgadis was fully prepared to agree--that yes, Xellos could repay him, and he could give a few suggestions as to how--but then he remembered his “skin condition.” His expression fell. “But my--”

Xellos pressed a finger to his lips. “Shh. No more worrying about that. It doesn’t matter.”

“Yes, it does. I don’t want to hurt you--”

“I’m not human, Zelgadis,” Xellos interrupted again. “It won’t hurt.” This was a small lie. It *would* hurt, but not as much as it would a human, and it wasn’t anything he couldn’t take or wasn’t prepared to.

Zelgadis still looked unconvinced, at least until Xellos rolled onto his back, taking the Chimera with him. Now on top of Xellos, he looked down at him. He was still smirking. Without a word, Xellos wrapped his legs around Zelgadis, forcing their hips together. The younger man moaned and decided to believe him.

He wanted him. Now. He wanted to be inside of Xellos, to lose himself in him… Seemingly hearing his thoughts, as was the Mazoku’s habit these days, that lotion appeared in his hand. He held it in front of Zelgadis’ face meaningfully. Zelgadis smiled back. “So *this* is what you bought it for?”

Xellos pouted cutely. “No, not necessarily. But if it comes in handy for other uses, who am I to complain?”

Zelgadis snorted and spread some lotion onto his fingers. He only had a rudimentary knowledge of what to do, and hoped that Xellos would correct him if he did anything wrong. As he began to prepare the Mazoku, Xellos’ erection slowly came back to life, which made him smile again. Once he placed two fingers in his entrance, he glanced up at Xellos carefully. “Are you sure this isn’t hurting?”

“It feels fine, dear,” Xellos assured. “A little more and I’ll be ready.”

Zelgadis nodded and kept going. When he was finished with that task, he coated himself thoroughly, out of paranoia more than anything. Then he slowly pressed himself against the entrance and looked up at Xellos. The priest met his gaze with a smile and adjusted so his legs were wrapped over each of Zelgadis’ shoulders. This position nearly bended him in half, but he looked perfectly at ease with it.

“Now,” Xellos said.

Needing no more encouragement, Zelgadis thrust in slowly, groaning softly as he did. Xellos was warm, almost impossibly so, and very tight. Being fully inside him left the shaman exhilaratingly dizzy and he couldn’t stop himself from pushing out and back in. Both men moaned at the movement. Hearing him, though, woke Zelgadis from his momentary, impassioned stupor.

“Are you alright?” he croaked out.

Xellos smiled. His eyes took a moment to focus on the blue-skinned face hovering over him. Zelgadis’ hair was bent in completely random angles, but it left both his eyes free to be seen, and the Mazoku had never seen a more enchanting creature. He loved Zelgadis. He loved him so much that he could burst, Mazoku propriety be damned. He reached up and touched Zelgadis’ face fleetingly. “I don’t think there’s a word for it, Zelgadis.”

Zelgadis was surprised. He was *positive* he had to be hurting Xellos in some way, despite his assurances… Then he got to thinking. Xellos’ body wasn’t anywhere near a humans, as he was continually reminding him. He even felt love differently than humans. Mazoku fed off of negative human emotions, such as anger, fear, despair, and aggression. Perhaps they felt pain differently as well? Xellos said he thought of love as being painful. The pain Zelgadis was worried about, however, was physical, which led straight back to the debate about Xellos’ physicality.

But Xellos was no fool, despite his jester personality. Zelgadis was hardly raping him. He said this was what he wanted.

So, putting his uncertainties aside, Zelgadis gave it to him. Xellos made more of those delightful gasping noises as he plunged in and out of that tight space. Xellos’ legs tightened around his shoulders. He was sure he was being too rough until Xellos gasped, “I’m not glass, Zel-bunny.”

After that, Zelgadis didn’t have much intelligent thought. He didn’t know how loud he was being; he was only paying attention to Xellos. The sounds he made, the way his hair fell on the sheets, how his soft skin seemed to glow even brighter, pale and luminous like the moon. He wondered if some part of Xellos’ physicality was coming apart by their actions and held tighter to his frame. He was close now; he could feel it building, and his thighs were beginning to shake from the exertion.

Then, he watched, fascinated, as Xellos took hold of his erection, his other arm reaching around Zelgadis’ back to pull them closer. Xellos pressed his mouth to the Chimera’s shoulder and bit down, hard. Zelgadis could really *feel* his teeth. Just enough pressure to hurt but not pierce the skin. He gasped and came, straining against the hold Xellos had on him as he arched backward. Dimly he heard Xellos calling out his name again as he followed suit quickly after. When it was all said and done, the two of them lay sweating and slightly sticky on the bedding, the otherwise tender moment spent catching their breaths.

Zelgadis pulled himself out of the tangled mass that had become their limbs and plopped down beside Xellos. The priest’s eyes were closed, and the smile on his face made it obvious he was happy as a clam. So to speak.

“So, baby, was it good for you too?” Xellos cracked one eye open to study Zelgadis.

"I don’t think there’s a word for it, Xellos," Zelgadis mirrored his words from earlier. The Mazoku laughed.

*

Hiei woke feeling a little disoriented and uncertain of his location. It didn't matter because he could feel Kurama against him, and when he opened his eyes he immediately knew they were home. Kurama had probably carried him.

The fire demon smoothed the hair from Kurama's face, kissing him gently. The fox shifted in his sleep, and Hiei carefully got up. He wouldn't mind an early-morning romp, but Kurama looked tired and he wanted a shower. The redhead didn't stir as Hiei left the room.

The warm water from the shower caressed Hiei's body clean with the aid of the soap, and he stood under the head for a while until the shower curtain moved and Kurama stepped in.

Before Hiei could speak, the fox kissed him deeply. "I was worried. You slept for three days."

Hiei frowned. "Three days?" He almost didn't believe it, but he trusted Kurama.

"Three days. You passed out at Genkai's. Yukina was worried, but she said you were asleep. What happened?"

Hiei shook his head slowly. "I don't know. I was just... relieved..."

Kurama knelt in front of him. "But you're okay?"

Hiei nodded, then gasped as Kurama kissed the tip of his quickly-forming erection and engulfed it. He struggled to keep a grip on his thoughts. "She said she knew," he said quickly, leaning against the shower wall as Kurama swirled his tongue around the head of his penis. "And that," he moaned softly, "she had been worried about my reaction and figured I didn't know."

Kurama moved back, abandoning Hiei's erection, and stood. "So she felt the same way you did?"

Hiei nodded, not able to send coherent thoughts to his mouth. He watched as Kurama took a very familiar seed from his hair and then lifted Hiei slightly, sandwiching him against the shower wall as he prepared the fire demon.

Before long, Hiei was completely incoherent, the friction between them amplified by the suction of the water trapped between them as they moved. The warm water from the still-running shower cascaded over them, drumming against his skin and pooling between them in the brief period between thrusts. Hiei cried out as he came, loosing himself in orgasm, and Kurama kissed him, thrusting a few more times before coming himself.

Hiei came back to his body to feel Kurama washing his hair. When the youko was finished, Hiei returned the favor, and they bathed each other slowly before finally climbing out of the shower. After drying off they went back to the bedroom for another, more leisurely session of love-making.

A very red-faced Botan interrupted them.

- Theatre -
[seating: Kuwabara, Koenma, Yuusuke, Hiei, Kurama, Zelgadis, Xellos, and Lina]

Hiei: [sniffs] Enma needs to get a better air recycling system in here.
Kurama: [sniffs] Yes, the air is sort of... odd today.
Koenma: [sighs] I'll tell him, not that he'll listen...
Yuusuke: [rubs his neck sympathetically]
Hiei: [yawns] Let's just get this over with, then.
Xellos: [cheerfully] Yes, I'd like to get back quickly.
Zelgadis: [blushes slightly]
Yuusuke: [smirks] Well, look at this new development...
Zelgadis: [quickly] What development? There is no development.
Hiei: [smirks] Aside from the fact that you're glowing?
Zelgadis: [hides his face]
Xellos: [smiles wider]
Lina: [blinks] Huh? He's not glowing!
Xellos: He was last night though.
Zelgadis: [chokes] Xellos!
Lina: [stares]
Yuusuke: [giggles] Zelgadis has been deflowered!
Zelgadis: Oh gods... [head in his hands]
Lina: [starts laughing]
Xellos: [giggling softly]
Hiei: [smirks] As amusing as Zel's shyness is, I'd like to get out of here sooner than later.
Yuusuke: [stifles his laughter] Ah, yeah, you're right.
Kurama: [sniffs] It's rather disgusting in here today, too.
Hiei: [wrinkles his nose]

>Lullaby

Yuusuke: A songfic?
Kuwa: Ick, I hope not.
Kurama: [shrugs] Songfics are generally pretty short, though.
Kuwa: Oh. That's true.

>-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
>-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

Yuusuke: Well, the fic's broken. Let's leave.
Koenma: We wish.

>A beautiful melody… who…?

Lina: [hums Otome no Inori]
Zelgadis: [laughs]
Xellos: Are you going to put on that dress again?
Lina: [glares] No.
Zelgadis: [snickers]

>I open my eyes… and just as expected it is still quite dark in the room. I turn over and gaze at the clock. It's only 3:00 in the morning so… where is this melody coming from? No one beside Shuuichi should be in the room….

Yuusuke: [person speaking] And, you know, myself. Whoever I am.
Kurama: Er, who would call me by my human name?
Yuusuke: Good question...
Hiei: I don't want to know, honestly.
Zelgadis: I don't think you're going to be given the choice.
Hiei: I can always make that choice. [climbs into Kurama's lap]
Kurama: [smiles at Hiei, kisses his forehead]
Hiei: [smiles]

>I turn over on my side and gaze at the beautiful form of Shuuichi beside me. I find it reassuring that he is here beside me, as my husband. He is mine now… he is finally mine and mine alone.

Yuusuke: [person] Mine, you here me? Mine mine mine!
Kurama: Okay, I'm definitely not getting good vibes from this fic.
Kuwa: It sounds like one of those Seagulls from Finding Nemo...
Hiei: [snickers]

>Shuuichi… even if he doesn't love me 'yet' he will soon enough. After all I have a life time to make him truly mine and make him forget everything… including his lover or should I say… his ex-lover?

Xellos: Seems rather proud of that, doesn't she?
Hiei: [glares at the screen] It better not be talking about me.
Yuusuke: Let's ask Botan.
Kurama: Yeah, maybe we can veto this fic or something.
Koenma: Botan!
[silence]
[crickets chirp]
Kuwa: Um. Where did the crickets come from?
Koenma: Botan!!
[no answer]
Kurama: [softly] I'm going to hope that's just technical difficulties...
Koenma: [trying to sound confident] That's very likely.
Hiei: [still frowning]
Kurama: [holds him tighter]
Hiei: [softly] What does this air remind you of, Kurama?
Kurama: [same] Burnt... something.
Hiei: [shakes his head] What place.
Kurama: [eyes widen] Oh...
Yuusuke: What?
Kurama: [weakly] No no no no...
Hiei: [softly] The satellite.
Kuwa: But the girls blew it up!
Koenma: And they couldn't kidnap us right from the Reikai...
Xellos: Well, Zelgadis and Lina-san were kidnapped by those girls right in front of me. It's possible.
Yuusuke: And, well... Koenma, you were kidnapped right from your *bed* last time...
Koenma: [blushes] Point taken.
Kurama: [shakes his head] Didn't Enma beef up security, though?
Koenma: [sinks down in his seat] Well... He said he did...
Kuwa: Oh, that's just great, Koenma.
Hiei: As a thief, I know that beefing up security doesn't mean you can't figure out another way around it. You know that, too, Imp...
Kurama: Well, yes. And Reikai security has never been very... Well. No offense, Koenma.
Koenma: [groans]

>I push myself up and lean slightly against his slender form. I wonder what he is dreaming of…. He is beautiful like this… so vulnerable yet strong. I don't know why… but I can feel something within him that radiates power. And it makes him even more attractive.

Kurama: [frowns] I want a bath now.
Hiei: [giggles]
Kurama: [smirks] I didn't mean like that, but I wouldn't be averse to it.
Hiei: Only not adverse?
Kurama: [giggles] Well...
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [deepens kiss]
Hiei: [runs his hands through Kurama's hair]
Kurama: [rubs Hiei's legs]
Hiei: [moves to straddle Kurama's hips]
Kuwa: [whispers] Deja vu...
Yuusuke: Aw, let 'em have fun.
Koenma: [softly] If Hiei's right, they'll need it...
Kuwa: [winces] I know... Damn it.
Yuusuke: Yeah.

>I love him… I know I do. He is the only one who can make me feel whole. Even if our marriage was a result of Shiori-san's request… we can make it a perfect one.

Kurama: [breaks off the kiss] Mother would *never* do that!
Yuusuke: Plot device.
Kurama: I don't care.
Hiei: [shifts]
Kurama: [gasps, pulls Hiei closer]
Hiei: It's just a fic, Imp. You and I both know that.
Kurama: [sighs deeply] I know, but... It's my mother.
Hiei: [kisses him] You know it's *not* your mother, and that's what matters.
Kurama: [smiles weakly] Yes. You're right.
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [kisses back]

>He just needs a little more time to… adjust to new changes. He'll forget about that little boy soon enough…. Soon he'll love me in return.

Lina: And the fact that he loved a "little boy"--no offense, Hiei--doesn't bother you?
Yuusuke: [snorts]
Kuwa: [the person] I can change him! My love can save him!
Yuusuke: Okay, Padme.
Koenma: I think they're ignoring us.
Zelgadis: Better that way.

>I close my eyes, reassured by that simple thought…. But as I do, I can hear that faint yet hauntingly beautiful melody again. It's soothing and peaceful…. And I find myself unable to resist Sleep's gentle pull.

Yuusuke: Or Death's release...
Hiei: The Flying Shadow has come to kill her.
Kurama: [licks his neck]
Hiei: [gasps]
Yuusuke: [smirks] I'd make another joke about *coming* but... Do I really need to?
Kuwa: Ew. No.

>****************************************************************

Yuusuke: [hums the Star Trek theme]
Kuwa: Huh?
Yuusuke: It's all I got.
Kuwa: No, I thought you were the Star Wars freak, and *Kurama* was the one who liked Star Trek.
Yuusuke: So?

>There… it's that same melody again.
>Every night, I wake up in the middle of night by that melody, but when I open my eyes and pull myself from the arms of Dream, I find nothing in the room save the soft breathing of my husband. It was as if the melody was just a fragment of my dream… but I know it was there.

Yuusuke: Because the Force told me so.
Koenma: [snickers]

>I don't know why… but I think I'm beginning to look forward to hearing that melody every night. The melody is very soft… it's almost like a lullaby except it's… sad. It feels as if the singer is crying….

Xellos: [mildly] Then he probably is.
Kurama: [scowls] And I would never make Hiei cry.
Xellos: [embarrassed] I didn't mean to imply that, Kurama-san.
Hiei: He's pissed at the fic, Xellos.
Xellos: I thought so, Hiei-san.
Kurama: [kisses Hiei's forehead] I won't.
Hiei: [softly] I know.

>"Shuuichi?" I pull his suit from the closet. Hmm… which necktie should I choose for him today? I think this dark navy one would do fine….

Yuusuke: So she picks out his wardrobe too? He can't dress himself anymore?
Hiei: What a control-freak.
Kurama: Shiori wouldn't make me marry someone like that.
Hiei: And I'd save you if she did.
Kurama: [smiles] Would you now?
Hiei: [nips his neck] Yes, I would.
Kurama: [giggles] I believe you.
Hiei: Good. [kisses him deeply]

>"What is it, Yui?"

Yuusuke: Kurama, you married Shinji's mom! [laughs]
Kurama: Yui is a common name...
Yuusuke: Still.
Koenma: Either that or it's the Fushigi Yuugi control freak...
Yuusuke: That theory's a little more sound anyway. Kurama is no Gendo.
Xellos: [giggles]
Kurama: [snorts] Yeah, I don't molest little girls that I cloned from my wife...
Hiei: [giggles] You only molest me.
Kurama: Damn right.
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [deepens kiss]

>He turns. He looks better now that he is sleeping well. The dark circles under his jade eyes are gone…. Strangely, ever since that melody began, he was able to sleep well. It is as if that melody is acting as lullaby for him….

Yuusuke: Aww. That's sweet, Hiei.
Hiei: I'd kill her and end his suffering for good.
Yuusuke: And *that's* even sweeter.
Koenma: I'd be disturbed that murder is "sweet," but I'm inclined to agree.
Yuusuke: [snickers]

>"Have you noticed something strange going on during the night?" I try to sound as nonchalant as possible. I hope he won't think I'm having hallucinations.

Yuusuke: Of a Flying Shadow trying to kill you with a shiny katana?
Kurama: Definitely not a hallucination. Just my prayers coming true.

>"What do you mean by strange things?" He picks up the necktie that I choose for him. Even now… he won't let me do it. He probably needs more time… he might not forgive me for the time being, but I know he'll realize that he has done the right thing. He couldn't possibly have a normal relationship with a male!

Lina: Hoo boy...
Kurama: [sputters] What! I-
Hiei: [shifts, starts sucking on his neck]
Kurama: [moans] That's just... oh...
Hiei: [licks Kurama's chin] Calm, Imp. It's just a fic, and we have a perfectly normal and *happy* relationship.
Yuusuke: Besides, what's normal?
Hiei: Exactly.

>Even if that boy was pretty, it's just not right. And when he realizes that… he'll smile again. I know he will….

Yuusuke: [Yui] As soon as my mind tricks start working on him.
Kurama: [kisses Hiei] You're definitely pretty, but that's not the reason I love you. Well, not the only reason.
Hiei: [mildly] I hope not.
Kurama: [giggles, kisses Hiei's nose]
Hiei: [smiles]
Yuusuke: You two are too cute sometimes.
Both: We know.
Yuusuke: [snickers]

>"Umm… like a melody in the middle of night? I think it went like somewhat like this…." I try to remember the melody and hum to it. No… wait. Did the note go up at this point or did it go down? I can't quite grasp it despite the fact that I have been listening to it for a very long time. "No… just forget it. I must have been imagining…. Shuuichi? Daijoubu desu ka?"

Yuusuke: [Kurama] You're butchering it. Stop.
Hiei: [snickers] My offer to kill her still stands.
Kurama: I'm not stopping you.
Hiei: [grins] Good.

>"I'm… okay. It's just something in my eyes. I'm not going to eat breakfast… I'm late. I'm sorry… I'm sorry." He hurries out of the door, leaving me dazed in the room.
>If I wasn't completely imagining things… he was crying….

Koenma: Yes, that's what people normally do when they can't be with the ones they love.
Hiei: [kisses Kurama] We're not going to be separated.
Kurama: [holds him closer] No. Even so, I'd go to hell and back to reach you again.
Hiei: [softly] That means a lot to me, Imp. [kisses him deeply]
Kurama: [smiles] I was hoping it wasn't too sappy.
Hiei: [smiles back] I'd reciprocate.
Kurama: I'm glad.
Hiei: [leans against him]
Kurama: [tightens his hold]

>****************************************************************

Yuusuke: [sings] Hoshi no kuru yoru ni wa ano koro omoidasu no sa itami dake kakaete tada ikiteta...
Hiei: Oi!
Yuusuke: [sheepishly] What?
Hiei: That's my song.
Yuusuke: I know.
Hiei: [rolls his eyes]
Kurama: You sing it better, Dragon. [kisses his forehead]
Yuusuke: Oi!
Kurama: [grins impishly]
Koenma: *I* like his singing.
Yuusuke: At least you're not against me...
Koenma: [kisses him]
Yuusuke: [grins, kisses back eagerly]

>The moon was high and clear…. And for some reason I can't sleep.

Yuusuke: That could have had something to do with the werewolves.
Hiei: My minions are there to tear her to bits.
Yuusuke: [snickers] I was thinking more of Fenrir.
Hiei: [shrugs]
Kurama: And the tenses change in this bit.

>Shuuichi… he was crying today. There were tears in his green eyes… tears that reflected the bright morning sun.

Kurama: [sarcastically] Gee, I wonder why.
Hiei: [pets his hair]
Kurama: [kisses him]

>I have seen him cry only once during my entire time with him. It was when Shiori-san died….

Yuusuke: Wait. When did Shiori die?
Hiei: [sucks Kurama's neck before he can react]
Kurama: [gasps, arches his neck]
Yuusuke: Anyway, that crying would be understandable.
Koenma: [nods solemnly]

>That was the last trace of emotion I have seen since. I can't remember, but starting from some point,… he has stopped responding to the world… it is as if his core had been torn away and he can no longer respond.

Zelgadis: Well, er, that would be pretty understandable...
Xellos: Humans normally lose the will to live after such things.
Zelgadis: What about Mazoku?
Xellos: [smiles] Oh, we normally kill things.
Lina: [giggles nervously]
Zelgadis: [sweat drops]
Hiei: Sounds a lot like youkai.
Xellos: It's intriguing how alike the two are.
Hiei: [grins]

>Click

Yuusuke: [sings] Bang bang, you shot me down...
Hiei: [snorts]
Yuusuke: What? I like that movie.
Kurama: [snorts] We know.
Yuusuke: [sweatdrops]

>Huh? I quietly turn toward the source of the sound… and to my surprise, the window is slightly opened. I quickly close my eyes, fervently wishing that it is just my imagination. Should I wake Shuuichi up? But I don't have the courage to open my eyes and check to make sure. Shuuichi… please wake up!

Kurama: No, I think I'll stay asleep and plead ignorance.
Hiei: [snickers]

>I didn't know how many minutes had passed but somehow… I fell asleep. And when I slowly opened my eyes again… the window was still slightly open, a cool night breeze gently stirring the curtain, but there is no other sound that indicated a break in. I was about to sigh in relief when I noticed a familiar melody filling the room….

Yuusuke: At this point, it's kinda bordering on creepy.
Koenma: If it's being sung by Hiei, that's probably the point.
Kurama: [raises an eyebrow]
Koenma: Er, not that I'm saying Hiei's singing is creepy or anything...
Kurama: Good. I happen to find it extremely sexy.
Hiei: [blushes]
Kurama: [smiles] It is.
Hiei: [kisses him] Not as much as yours.
Kurama: [giggles] Depends on your perspective, I suppose.
Hiei: [smiles] Probably.
Kurama: [kisses him]

>Wait… that melody, then who?
>I shift my weight slightly and wince as the bed sheets make a rustling noise, but the melody didn't stop. I waited a little more then turned toward the direction where the music was coming from. It was from Shuuichi's side….

Hiei: [snorts]
Yuusuke: Not too bright, is she?
Hiei: Not much of a challenge to kill, though a bit more of one if I don't want to get blood on the sheets.
Xellos: Then you snap her neck.
Zelgadis: [sweat drops] You sound like you've given that some thought...
Xellos: [shrugs] I'm a killer. I kill things. It's not that much of a leap, Zelgadis.
Hiei: But it's not as therapeutic without the blood.
Xellos: Oh, definitely not.
Koenma: You two are a menace.
Hiei: [smirks]
Xellos: [smiles cheerfully]
Koenma: [sighs]
Yuusuke: [kisses him] Don't worry about it, K-chan.
Koenma: As long as they don't cause paperwork...
Yuusuke: [puts arm around him] I'm sure they won't...
Koenma: [sighs again, leans against Yuusuke]
Yuusuke: [cuddles him]

>I almost shouted when I noticed a small figure bending near Shuuichi, but I somehow managed to stop myself. That slender figure was familiar… it was that boy, Shuuichi's little 'lover'. He was playing gently with Shuuichi's flaming red hair and softly humming that familiar melody, completely unaware of my gaze.

Yuusuke: [Yui] At least that was before he gouged my eyes out for watching.
Hiei: [giggles] She wouldn't be alive long enough to see it.
Kurama: [kisses Hiei's neck and holds him close]
Hiei: [buries his face in Kurama's neck]
Lina: Flaming red is more my hair color. Kurama's is more blood red, or cherry red, apple red...
Zelgadis: [smirks] Hungry, Lina?
Lina: [her stomach grumbles] Shaddap.
Zelgadis: [chuckles] I'm sure Yukina will have lunch prepared for us when we get back.
Kurama: [softly] I hope so...

>I wanted to get up and push him away from MY Shuuichi. He was mine now.

Kuwa and Yuusuke: [the seagulls] Mine? Mine? Mine?
Kurama: Right, Mary Sue. Keep telling yourself that.
Hiei: [growls] He was never yours.
Kurama: [kisses his forehead] Never ever.
Hiei: [kisses him deeply]
Kurama: [fondles him]
Hiei: [gasps, shifts]
Kurama: [moans, licks his neck]
Hiei: [nips Kurama's ear, sucks on his neck]
Kurama: [smiles, fiddles with Hiei's belts]
Hiei: [gasps] Later, Imp!
Kurama: [mock pouts] Aw.
Hiei: [shifts, softly] We can take another shower...
Kurama: [throatily] My... How tempting.
Hiei: [giggles]

>But looking at that boy… I couldn't bring myself to do that. He looked… innocent and lost… just like how I was when my step-parents died…. So I merely continued to watch him.

Kurama: [hugs Hiei tightly]
Hiei: [pets his hair] Imp, I need to breathe...
Kurama: [loosens his hold a bit] I'd never do that to you.
Hiei: [cups his cheek] I know that, fox.
Kurama: [kisses him] I'd die before I'd do that.
Hiei: [smiles] That means a lot too. But you don't need to.
Kurama: But I would. [kisses him deeply]
Hiei: [kisses back] I believe you.
Kurama: [smiles]

>"Kurama… are you happy now?

Kurama: [himself] That's a resounding no, dear. You may kidnap me now.
Hiei: [himself] Oh, good.
Kurama: [giggles, hugs him]
Hiei: [kisses his nose]

>I saw you in the morning…. You were crying. I don't think I ever seen you cry before…. But why, today did you…? Is it because you remembered? I don't want you to shed any tears. So if memories cause you pain… then forget them before they hurt you okay? I'll keep them for both of us… so you can forget them, ne? I'm sorry I couldn't say this sooner… but I don't hate you. I don't hate you…."

Yuusuke: Eep.
Hiei: [dryly] How could I hate him if I love him?
Kurama: [frowns] Well, given the circumstances...
Hiei: [kisses him] I still couldn't hate you.
Kurama: [softly] I wouldn't blame you if you did.
Hiei: [seriously] But I wouldn't. It just... wouldn't be possible.
Kurama: Hiei...
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [deepens kiss]
Hiei: [pets his hair]

>I love you….
>Even if he didn't say it aloud… I could still hear them.

Lina: [wipes her eyes]
Zelgadis: Lina?
Lina: There's something in my eyes...
Zelgadis: [smirks] Uh huh.
Lina: [glares] I am NOT crying.
Zelgadis: Right...
Xellos: [giggles]

>I silently turned towards the opposite direction and forced myself not to hear the soft whispers of that boy. I didn't know why… but it felt wrong to eavesdrop on them…. I felt as if I didn't have any right to interfere.

Kuwa: Because you don't, moron.
Yuusuke: And didn't have that right in the first place.
Koenma: The Sue was clearly deluding herself.
Yuusuke: [snickers]

>And for first time ever since I married Shuuichi… I began to doubt my decision as the lullaby continued.
>****************************************************************

Yuusuke: [sings] Without you, the ground thaws, the rain falls, the grass grows. Without you, the seeds root, the flowers bloom, the children play. The stars gleam, the poets dream, the eagles fly, without you. The earth turns, the sun burns, but I die, without you...
Koenma: [smiles] That's sweet.
Lina: Actually, it's really depressing...
Kurama: I think I like it better than this fic though.
Hiei: Agreed.
Lina: [sighs quietly]
Zelgadis: [softly] Miss Gourry?
Lina: [blushes, nods]
Zelgadis: I'm sure he misses you just as much. We'll get back eventually.
Lina: I hope so...
Xellos: [brightly] That he misses you or that we get back?
Lina: [smiles, bonks him on the head] Baka.
Xellos: Itai!
Zelgadis: [rubs Xellos' head gently]
Xellos: [leans against him, blows raspberries at Lina]

>Every night, the lullaby continued….

Yuusuke: This is the song that never ends, it goes on and on, my friends...
Hiei: [snickers]

>In the middle of night, that little boy would come and sing that beautiful lullaby for Shuuichi and would leave again as soon as he was sure Shuuichi was deep in slumber.
>And every single time I stayed awake and listened to those words…. Those words were very simple… yet they almost felt sacred in my heart. It was like a confession of the heart….

Yuusuke: Maybe because it was? K-chan's right, this girl is just deluded.
Hiei: All the more reason to kill her.
Kurama: No arguments here. [kisses his cheek]
Hiei: [grins]

>I remember the first time when I saw that boy… I think his name was Hiei. He looked so closed off at first…. He didn't talk much and I merely thought he was just one of those silent types…

Yuusuke: Those "silent types" always end up surprising you like that.
Kurama: I wasn't surprised.
Hiei: [smiles]
Kurama: [kisses him]

>but now listening to him, I think he was only hiding behind that deceiving mask… just as Shuuichi is hiding behind that seamless mask of a gentle smile….

Xellos: [smiles] We all have our masks.
Zelgadis: [eyes him] Some more than others.
Hiei: Masks aren't a bad thing.
Xellos: [nods] You use them yourself, Zelgadis.
Zelgadis: [snorts] I didn't say I didn't.
Xellos: [pulls out bunny ears and puts them on Zel]
Zelgadis: [laughs]
Lina: What *is* it with him and bunnies?
Zelgadis: [smirks] You don't know the half of it.
Lina: [sweatdrops] Please don't clue me in. I like my sanity.
Xellos: [giggles]
Zelgadis: [grins] That could be interesting...
Xellos: Yare yare. Zelgadis, you probably shouldn't tease her so much...
Zelgadis: [shrugs] Why not?
Xellos: Because she likes to knock you across the room?
Zelgadis: [winces] Oh, right...
Xellos: [giggles]

>One early morning, Hiei stayed longer than when he usually does. And that was the last time I heard his lullaby….
>"Kurama… I'm going to leave for the Makai now. I don't want to leave you, but… Mukuro is calling me. And this world has no meaning for me now. I wonder if I'll be able to see you again in this life-time. But remember… when I die, I'll return to you, okay? Maybe then… I wouldn't have to leave you again. Good bye…."

Hiei: Stupid clone.
Kurama: I'd prefer being kidnapped and taken to the Makai, thanks.
Hiei: Which is what the stupid clone should do. Why do they always make my clones masochistic?
Kurama: [holds him close]
Yuusuke: They must like the emo angst. Or something.
Xellos: [cheerfully] Actually, your clone's sadomasochistic in this fic, Hiei-san.
Hiei: [shrugs] Don't care.
Kurama: [kisses him]
Hiei: [rests head on his chest]
Kurama: [pets his hair]

>And that morning… I found a small but perfect black gem beside Shuuichi, the last gift….

Kurama: [holds Hiei tighter]
Hiei: [frowns, rubs Kurama's back]
Yuusuke: [frowns] Everything okay over there?
Hiei: Yeah.
Kurama: [kisses him, softly] I'll never, ever make you cry...
Hiei: [kisses his nose] I know that, Imp.
Kurama: [kisses him deeply]

>I wanted to give it to Shuuichi… but at the same time I was too afraid to give it to him. I didn't want to lose him. Even if I could no longer hate that little boy for taking Shuuichi's heart away, I couldn't bear the thought of losing him. So… I hid the gem. Maybe… when I can finally learn to let him go, I'll return it to him.

Kurama: Bitch.
Hiei: [shifts] Imp, you have better things to pay attention to.
Kurama: [gasps, smiles] Am I not giving you enough attention? Forgive my lapse. [kisses him deeply, slides a hand beneath Hiei's shirt]
Hiei: [giggles] I forgive you.

>*************************************************************

Yuusuke: [sings] If I could turn back time, if I could find a way... I'd take back those words that hurt you, and you'd stay. If I could reach the stars, I'd give them all to you. Then you'd love me, love me, like you used to do...

>And now… forty years have passed since then. I now have two beautiful children and one adorable grandchild... a child who looks just like 'him.'

Yuusuke: That reminds me... Have you guys decided on names yet?
Hiei: [blushes] Not really.
Kurama: We decided to hold off a bit until things settle down.
Yuusuke: I know, but it's not too early to start thinking about names. I can make suggestions!
Hiei: [snorts] No, we're not naming anything after a Star Wars character.
Yuusuke: [blushes] I wasn't going to say *that*...
Kurama: Thank you, Yuusuke, but we'll decide on names.
Yuusuke: Okay.
Hiei: And you don't need to help distract from the fic.
Yuusuke: Damn, I've been found out!
Hiei: [rolls his eyes]
Kurama: [chuckles]

>That day when my son brought that little baby to Shuuichi for him to name, I knew that some memories last forever no matter how much pain it causes….
>"Hiei… That is this child's name." Shuuichi gently lifted the baby up from his mother's bosom and cradled him within his arms. At that moment, Hiei lifted his little chubby hand and softly touched Shuuichi's face as if he approved the name that was given to him. And after forty years… I have seen Shuuichi truly smile again. None of those fake smiles, but just a genuinely happy smile that I have been longing to see ever since it was lost to me.

Kurama: Never mind the fact that it wasn't yours to begin with...
Hiei: [kisses him] My smile.
Kurama: [smiles] That it is.
Hiei: [grins]
Kurama: [kisses him]
Hiei: [returns the kiss]

>Perhaps it has already been decided that I would not be one who will return that beautiful smile of his…. I took it away from him, so… maybe it was Hiei's job to give it back to him.

Yuusuke: No shit?
Hiei: [shifts] Yeah, I'm going to give it back, all right...
Kurama: [gasps] With interest...
Hiei: Oh, definitely...
Kurama: [giggles]
Yuusuke: [grins] They're so cute...
Koenma: [kisses him]
Yuusuke: [fiddles with the pacifier]
Koenma: [grins and sucks on his neck]

>Maybe… Hiei was able to keep his promise and perhaps that's why we have a grandchild who looks exactly like him. A child who may just be the answer to the healing of a lonely heart….

Kurama: Or, heaven forbid, letting him be with the one he loves...
Hiei: [shifts]
Kurama: [gasps]
Hiei: [smirks]
Kurama: [licks his neck] Don't tease, Dragon.
Hiei: [gasps] Not teasing.
Kurama: [laughs softly] I'm just impatient. I want to get out of here...
Hiei: [smiles] Same here.

>But I still couldn't let go of that small token of their lost… love.
>Would I ever be able to give it back to him…?

Yuusuke: [Yui] Will I ever realize that it doesn't matter because he'll never love me?
Koenma: At least she's finally admitting it's love.
Yuusuke: It's sad that it took forty years, but yeah.
Koenma: [snickers] Well, given that she's a clone and a brainless bimbo, it's amazing she figured it out at all.
Yuusuke: True.

>***************************************************************

Yuusuke: Kuchibue ga kikoeru Hoshizora yori tooku de sore wa dare ka no inori no kotoba migi te ni nigirishime sotto me wo tojiru...
Hiei: You're using my songs again...
Yuusuke: [sweat drops] Well, yours just happen to work for this...
Hiei: [snorts] It helps that they're all about loneliness, eh?
Yuusuke: [shifts nervously] Well...
Hiei: [snorts]
Kurama: [licks Hiei's ear]
Hiei: [gasps, kisses him]

>One quiet Sunday morning when I was tending to my small rose garden… a soft sound reaches my ears, shattering the silence that surrounds me with unexpected force.

Yuusuke: The sound of a sharp katana blade as it swipes through the air...
Hiei: And beheads her in one smooth stroke.
Xellos: Her blood splattering on the roses.
Kurama: And making them prettier because of the evil in her blood.
Hiei: [snickers]
Kuwa: You guys are disturbing.
Koenma: [mildly] I think they know.
Hiei: We do.
Kurama: [giggles]
Hiei: [kisses him]

>A hauntingly familiar sound… that same melody which has embedded itself within the deepest part of my past memory. It intertwines itself around the scent of roses and fills my whole being with pain and happiness that echoes through from each note….

Yuusuke: Yes, very sad... [yawns]
Hiei: Oh, good, her tripping out will make it easier to kill her.
Yuusuke: [snickers]
Kurama: Good, my hero is here to save me. FINALLY.
Hiei: [snorts] I would have been there long before the *wedding.*
Kurama: [giggles] I know. [kisses him]

>Even without me realizing it… my feet leads me to the source of the melody… the nursery for our grandson.
>Has Hiei… really come back after all these years?

Kurama: Let's hope so.
Yuusuke: [softly] Of course, in context of the story, that would mean he's dying...
Kurama: [glares angrily]
Yuusuke: [edges away] Er. Ignore me.
Hiei: [shifts] Imp...
Kurama: [gasps] Yes, Dragon?
Hiei: Don't take the fic seriously.
Kurama: [looks away] I know...
Hiei: [kisses him] It's not real.
Kurama: [smiles weakly] I know.
Hiei: [softly] Don't let this stuff get to you.
Kurama: [same] I don't want to go through this again, Hiei. I don't.
Hiei: [kisses him] Neither do I, but if we have to, we're going to survive.
Kurama: [nods]

>For some reason… I couldn't imagine Hiei becoming aged just like us. I don't know why but maybe the air that surrounded him…. That air of extreme desperation… it softened whenever he was with Shuuichi but it never vanished. That's the only thing that I could remember clearly even after all this time. And his lullaby….

Koenma: What does his sadness have to do with him not aging?
Hiei: [snorts] Does it matter? I don't age like ningen do.
Koenma: Obviously, but she should have a logical reason for thinking that...
Hiei: See, that's the problem. It's a fanfic and she's a stupid bint.
Kurama: [snickers]
Koenma: [chuckles] You're right.

>My heart does not even flutter as I softly open the door to the nursery room. Maybe… I was expecting this day to come….
>But to surprise… there was no sign of Hiei. Only Shuuichi's flame red locks greets my eyes. His red hair… hair that still retains its beautiful color despite the time that drags us to Death.

Kurama: [nose wrinkles] Thankfully my aging has pretty much slowed.
Hiei: [kisses him] I like your hair.
Kurama: [grins] I know you like my hair.
Hiei: [runs his hands through it]
Hiei: [runs his hands through it] I like *all* your hair.
Kurama: [blushes] Oh?
Hiei: [grins] Yup.
Kurama: Well, *that* I didn't know. [licks his nose]
Hiei: [leers] Oh, I'll just have to make sure to let you know more often...
Kurama: [leers back] Yes, you will...
Hiei: [shifts]
Kurama: [gasps]

>"Shuuichi? That melody…." I know that I don't need to elaborate further. Maybe he knew… all along. Why does this small black gem within my bosom feel so heavy…? Would this be the time when I let go of this precious jewel?
>"Yui… you know this one, ne? That morning… you asked me if I heard this melody." Shuuichi turns… little Hiei cradled within his arms.

Yuusuke: Kind of like the big Hiei over there is.
Hiei: [kicks at him]
Yuusuke: [dodges]
Kurama: Now now, boys...
Hiei: [shifts and kisses him]
Kurama: [giggles]
Hiei: [grins]
Kurama: [raises an eyebrow] Your "big Hiei" is poking me.
Kuwa: [sarcastically] Thanks, Urameshi.
Yuusuke: [groans]
Xellos: [is laughing]
Zelgadis: [shakes his head, making the bunny ears flop]
Lina: [shakes her head, amused] Boys.

>"…Hai." What can I say…? That I am still uncertain if I could let go of him…? He and Shiori-san were only ones who cared for me ever since my step- parents died…. How can I let of such warmth? I just want to cling to it as long as possible… so that I wouldn't feel cold anymore.

Koenma: But the fact remains that it's not *yours.*
Yuusuke: Stupid woman.
Hiei: [giggles] Mine.
Kurama: [smiles] Yours, of course.
Hiei: [kisses him]

>"This melody… this was the lullaby that I used to sing for Hiei whenever he was having nightmares… did you know that? He had lots of nightmares… he never told me what those were about… but this was the only thing that could soothe him to a peaceful sleep. He had a bad childhood… so bad that his heart was scarred countless times by his own memories…. " Shuuichi frowns slightly as he trails off.

Kurama: [kisses Hiei's neck gently]
Hiei: [winces]
Kurama: You alright?
Hiei: [softly] Just hits a bit too close to home.
Kurama: [squeezes him gently] To say the least.
Hiei: [leans against him] Not letting it get to me, though. The past is the past.
Kurama: [rubs his back and kisses his forehead worriedly]
Hiei: [smiles] I'm okay, Imp.
Kurama: [smiles slightly] Good. [fondles his backside]
Hiei: [giggles]

>"Maybe… I only caused him pain in his memories." Shuuichi gently fondles little Hiei's silky baby hair as if that small gesture would soothe away all the pain that his Hiei must have experienced.

Yuusuke: Oh, he's soothing it alright...
Hiei: [kicks at him again]
Yuusuke: [doesn't manage to dodge] Itai!
Hiei: [smirks]
Kurama: [puts his head under Hiei's shirt, begins sucking on a nipple]
Hiei: [gasps loudly]
Kurama: [giggles]

>"Why didn't you go back to him…. You know you could have." What am I saying? Am I pushing Shuuichi away from me… or am I merely setting him free?
>"I would be a liar if I say that I never wanted to do it, ne? I wanted to… but when you said you heard Hiei's lullaby… I knew that he wanted me to keep this reality. He would never let others see him unless he wishes and he let you get a glimpse of his heart. Maybe… it is because he knew you were lonely as well. Hiei has always been somewhat of a masochistic. He is so stupid…."

Yuusuke: That's kind of creepy.
Kurama: [glares at screen] He's *not* stupid.
Yuusuke: But he's sometimes masochistic.
Hiei: Only sometimes.
Kurama: [kisses Hiei] Not on my watch.
Hiei: [smiles] Not recently, no.
Kurama: [smiles back] And it's going to stay that way.
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [kisses him back]

>"Hiei… he'll return soon. He said he'll come back… so I know he will. This little Hiei is proof of his words…." Shuuichi smiles and for the first time… it was for me, the one who has caused him all this pain.

Kurama: Right before he plunged a vine through her gut.
Hiei: Maybe she'll kill herself and save us the trouble.
Kurama: [nods] It would be the decent thing to do.
Yuusuke: [snickers] Vindictive, are we?
Kurama: I just want this to be over.
Xellos: Yes... As soon as it is, we shall meet the perpetrator of all this.
Hiei: [shudders] Okay, is it bad that I'm now hoping the fic is longer?
Zelgadis: [softly] Xellos... You don't seem that surprised to be captured...
Xellos: [sweat drops, softly] I don't?
Zelgadis: [sighs, bonks him on the head][softly] Idiot.
Xellos: [softly] I *did* say it was inevitable.
Zelgadis: [same] Just don't let onto the others. They'll be angry.
Xellos: [same] Well... At first I thought it would be amusing...
Zelgadis: [same] Yeah, I figured.
Xellos: [same] ... But they're obviously not completely recovered from last time. This could be bad.
Zelgadis: [same] Well, if you have any ideas, you could share instead of waiting for us to figure it out, like usual.
Xellos: [same] Sadly, I am currently without any ideas.
Zelgadis: [same] Damn.
Xellos: [same] We'll be fine, and so will they.
Zelgadis: [sighs] If you say so...

>"…How?" I ask. Logic no longer works for me. I'm just letting everything flow, let it follow its course. I now know it is futile to try and understand.

Yuusuke: Not that logic was really working for her to start with.
Kurama: I was thinking the same thing...
Hiei: Insanity and logic don't mix well.

>"I do not know…. But Hiei's death is near…. He would come back when he feels that his time has ended." Shuuich says those frightening words as if he is talking about the mere weather. Isn't he afraid…? Isn't he afraid of Death and its power?

Hiei: Scared of a blue-haired bubbly girl?
Kurama: Well, maybe when she comes knocking on the bedroom window...
Yuusuke: Even then, it's hard to be scared of Botan.
Hiei: It's easy to be pissed when she interrupts us, though.
Kurama: [giggles]
Koenma: [laughs]

>"Shuuichi… how can you say such a thing without fear? Didn't you… love Hiei?" And… his answer surprises me.
>"Yui… why should I? He's just returning from a long trip…. He is keeping his promise… so I am keeping my promise as well." And he continues to sing that soft lullaby to the innocent ears of Hiei….

Hiei: My ears are hardly innocent...
Yuusuke: I think she means the kid.
Hiei: Don't care.
Kurama: [giggles]

>Lullaby… their lullaby. It's the token of their promise… isn't it?
>Guarding each other's heart… never letting go.

Yuusuke: "I'll never let go, Jack..."
Hiei: [snorts] I didn't like that movie.
Kurama: [giggles] You and your love for horror movies. If it was a zombie flick, you'd love it.
Hiei: Except for Bride of Re-Animator. Herbert should have just killed Dan's new girlfriend.
Yuusuke: [snickers]

>Even if their bodies are separated… their souls never parted. The lullaby was their link so… love continues even after all these time….

Kurama: This time...
Hiei: [kisses him]
Kurama: [kisses back] Though that last part is slightly romantic...
Hiei: All angst, though.
Kurama: [licks his neck] Yes, not arguing that...
Hiei: [shifts] I know.
Kurama: [gasps, giggles]
Yuusuke: [softly, to Koenma] Their bodies certainly aren't separated...
Koenma: [snorts-giggles] I'd pity the idiot who would try.
Xellos: [frowns slightly, then shakes his head]
Zelgadis: Xellos?
Xellos: [softly] Just got an odd feeling from Koenma-san's words.
Zelgadis: [raises an eyebrow, softly] When did you start seeing the future?
Xellos: [softly] It's not like that. It's just...
Zelgadis: [same] Just a feeling?
Xellos: [same] Yes.
Zelgadis: [same] Not much we can do about it right now.
Xellos: [same] Indeed. [broods thoughtfully]

>Maybe… that is why I can't bring myself to hate… to be jealous… anything at the one who has taken away my husband's heart….
>No… not mine. Always his…..

Hiei: Yes. *My* husband.
Kurama: [giggles, fiddles with Hiei's belts]
Hiei: [smirks, shifts]
Kurama: [gasps] Hiei, I'm not going to be able to resist screwing you right here in a second...
Hiei: [groans] Well, as tempting as that sounds...
Yuusuke: I do hope you're not exhibitionists...
Hiei: If we were, don't you think you'd know by now?
Xellos: We could always cover you up. [holds up the end of his cloak]
Yuusuke: We'd still have to hear them. Hiei seems like a screamer.
Kurama: [grins evilly] Oh, he does get pretty loud...
Hiei: [blushes] Imp!
Kurama: [kisses his cheek] Sorry, Dragon.
Hiei: [kisses him back]

>***************************************************************

Yuusuke: [sings] Dakishimeta hoshikuzu ni kazarareta, sono mune no yasashisa wa nemuranai...
Kurama: [sighs] Now you're taking my lines.
Yuusuke: [smirks] Would you prefer to sing it then?
Hiei: I think we'd prefer to sing to each other privately.
Kurama: [grins] That could be entertaining.

>Today… Shuuchi said Hiei died….

Xellos: Well, we kind of knew that was coming up...
Kurama: [winces]
Hiei: [pets Kurama's hair again]
Kurama: [kisses him]
Hiei: [deepens kiss, shifts]
Kurama: [gasps] Dragon!
Hiei: [smirks] Just making a point.
Kurama: [hugs him] I know.
Zelgadis: Xellos, can you get out of here?
Xellos: [blinks] Out of the theatre?
Zelgadis: Out of this plane and into the Astral Plane.
Xellos: Perhaps.
Kuwa: This fic doesn't seem like something Enma would choose...
Yuusuke: [looks at Koenma] That's what worries me...
Koenma: It troubles me, too.
Lina: Yeah. I'm getting a very *bad* feeling.
Zelgadis: How bad?
Lina: Valgaav proportions.
Zelgadis: [winces] That *is* bad...

>And today little Hiei asked me if I loved him….

Yuusuke: "Love is, actually, everywhere."
Kuwa: That the best you've got?
Yuusuke: That won't get me hit? Yeah.
Kurama: [softly] I love little Hiei, too.
Hiei: [softly] I know.
Kurama: [hugs him]
Hiei: [kisses him gently]
Kurama: [smiles, returns the kiss]

>Those innocent crimson eyes… so different from the other pair yet surprisingly the same, sincerely looking up at me. Maybe… this was the time when our sins stop… when atonement begins….

Xellos: That last bit sounds disturbingly like Amelia-san...
Lina: [smirks] Still worried about her wanting to convert you to the side of Light, eh?
Xellos: [sweatdrops]
Zelgadis: No, it's all wrong for Amelia. For one, the Yui person isn't posing in a tree.
Lina: [giggles]

>Yes… I did love him, Hiei-chan… so that's why I'm letting him go to fly where he belongs….

Yuusuke: As long as he has a passport and goes through customs.
Koenma: [giggles]

>And that night… I have given Shuuichi back his jewel… and for first time in a very long time… I felt free.

Kurama: I hope not of guilt.
Yuusuke: Maybe the you-clone gave her a guilt trip.
Kurama: Unless it was a one-way trip to hell, it wasn't good enough.
Yuusuke: That could definitely have been arranged.
Kurama: [grins]
Hiei: Lucky bastards; you didn't even show up in this fic.
Yuusuke: Yeah... I wonder what *we* were doing...
Kuwa: I don't wanna know.
Yuusuke: [snickers]

>Free of my own shackles….

Yuusuke: [sings] Tachidomatte'ru kimi no senaka wa sabishige na mama boku wo toraeru kimagure na ai de tsutsumitai...
Xellos: [smiles] Iya. No one's going to get that.
Yuusuke: Ah well.
Koenma: As long as he's singing, I don't care.
Yuusuke: [snickers, kisses him]

>Trust me Hiei… next time we meet, we would meet in a place where no loneliness could reach us…. And I'll wish for your happiness for I have taken it away in this life time….

Hiei: 'Us?' Who said you were going to be there?
Kurama: [snickers] Probably her deluded little mind.

>Next time we meet….

Yuusuke: ... We'll be in an alternate universe *and* a sequel?
Kurama: And Hiei gets to pull a sword out of my chest.
Koenma: And we get to try to figure out the weird symbolism.
Hiei: [frowns] Sword in your chest?
Kurama: [sweat drops] Sorry. The Utena movie?
Hiei: [blinks] Oh, right. Couldn't get over the actual image.
Kurama: [winces, kisses his cheek]
Hiei: [smiles] It's alright.
Xellos: You would look nice in the dress, Kurama-san.
Kuwa: What is it with you guys and cross dressing, anyway?
Zelgadis: We're fulfilling Lina's sick fantasies.
Lina: ZELGADIS!
Zelgadis: [nervously] You're the one that makes us do it...
Lina: Look, that time it was the only way to get you guys into the village. They didn't allow *men*.
Xellos: [stage whisper, to Zel] Notice how she specifies *that* time.
Zelgadis: [laughs] And Gourry's done it more than once, remember.
Xellos: [hmmms] She even saved his pink dress.
Zelgadis: [nods] Probably sating Lina's perversions.
Lina: [jaw clenches] You two...
Xellos: [smiles] Are only being honest.
Lina: [starts to chant]
Xellos: Oh my... I think we pushed it.
Zelgadis: We were just joking, Lina.
Lina: MIL BRA--
Xellos: [covers her mouth] Excuse me, Lina-san, but our untimely deaths will need to be postponed until we're outside.
Lina: [glares--talks into his hand]
Xellos: Hmm?
Zelgadis: Don't let her go or she'll finish the spell.
Xellos: [smiles nervously] I wasn't planning on it. Lina-san, do stop biting, you're getting saliva all over my gloves...
Zelgadis: Lina, quit being a pervert.
Lina: [pulls Xel's hand away, blushes furiously] I AM NOT A PERVERT! [points at Xellos] He's the perverted one!
Xellos: [blinks] It's highly common for those with strong magical energies to have very sexual natures...
Lina: [turns bright red] I swear--
Xellos: Lina-san. You really don't take jokes very well, you know.
Zelgadis: Unless they're on someone else.
Lina: [sighs, sits back] Whatever.
Zelgadis: [whispers to Xel] Did we win?
Xellos: [same] I believe so, Zelgadis.
Zelgadis: [grins]
Xellos: [kisses his cheek]
Zelgadis: [blushes slightly]
Xellos: [smiles]

>***************************************************************

Yuusuke: [sings] Without you, the stars roar the breeze warms, the girl smiles, the cloud moves. Without you, the tides change, the boys run, the oceans crash. The crowds roar, the days soar, the babies cry, without you. The moon glows, the river flows, but I die, without you.
Koenma: [pets his hair fondly]
Yuusuke: [grins]
Hiei: Damned depressing song.
Kurama: But pretty.

>Here rests Shuuichi Minamino.

Yuusuke: Um. Don't blame the messanger.
Hiei: [kisses Kurama]
Kurama: [tilts his head back, deepens kiss]
Yuusuke: [softly, to Koenma] I'd make commentary, but I'd get kicked again...
Koenma: [same, giggles] Yes, I'd prefer it if you weren't kicked.
Yuusuke: Me too. [kisses him]
Lina: [smirks] Well, at least you two aren't joining in the make-out sessions.
Xellos: Zelgadis is still shy about public displays of affection.
Zelgadis: [shrugs] I prefer to keep it private.
Xellos: [smiles] Which is fine with me. We can have more fun!
Zelgadis: [blushes deeply]

>Faithful and beloved husband and father.

Kurama: To his *husband* and *their* children.
Hiei: [shifts] Future children.
Kurama: [gasps] Yes, dear.
Hiei: [kisses him]

>One who has been loved far more than anyone.

Kurama: I highly doubt that.
Yuusuke: Huh?
Kurama: I'm certainly not the most loved person ever. I'm loved, but not more than anyone else.
Yuusuke: Well, unless you consider the fangirls...
Kurama: I'm trying not to, thanks.

>Find peace in a world where no grief or loneliness can touch.

Yuusuke: Or Mary Sues.
Kurama: That's a relief.

>So it has ended….

Yuusuke: Good.
Hiei: Agreed.
Xellos: [softly] And soon we'll see the 'man behind the curtain' as it were...
Hiei: [winces]
Kurama: [holds Hiei closer]
Zelgadis: [frowns] Xellos...
Xellos: [sweat drops]
Hiei: He's right. Don't worry about it.

>But he'll be back… as long as Hiei is here, he'll be back.

Kurama: Deluded.
Yuusuke: Clearly.
Hiei: [kisses Kurama] I would come back for you.
Kurama: [licks his nose] And I for you.
Hiei: [kisses him]

>And I'll continue this lullaby for you… until Hiei finds you again….

Yuusuke: I know I shouldn't be so glad this is over, but...
Hiei: The sap is good to be rid of.
Yuusuke: Yeah, we have plenty of our own.
Hiei: [snickers]
Lina: [stands and stretches] Well, the doors are opening. Let's go see what this is about.
Hiei: [sighs] I guess we have to...
Kurama: [squeezes his hand]
Hiei: [smiles] We'll be okay.
Yuusuke: [pats Kurama on the back] Yeah, don't worry about it. As long as we're all together, it'll be fine.
Kurama: [nods, smiles weakly] Yeah.

- exodus -

Zelgadis sighed as they left the theatre. "Well, this certainly isn't the Reikai..."

The sight was eerily familiar to Yuusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama though. While not too unlike the other satellite, this one was obviously much better constructed. The walls and instruments were black, sleek and new, with complicated diodes flashing happily like Christmas lights.

"Crap," Yuusuke breathed.

Kurama's gaze was drawn to a small, circular viewport, which he walked over to and glanced out. "We're on the moon..." he said softly, emotionlessly.

Lina rushed over to see what the other redhead saw. "Whoa... O-kay. How the hell did this happen?"

Hiei sighed. "Koenma, you really need to talk to your dad about getting better security."

Then, there was a new voice, one familiar but lost to the past until now. It spoke directly behind Kurama, mockingly. "Ah, Kurama. Your hair is in much better condition than before. Someone has been taking good care of it."

Kurama recognized it immediately, let out a startled yelp and tripped as he scrambled away from the thin, mocking voice. Hiei immediately stepped up beside him, pulling out his katana and swinging it at Karasu, only to have it slice through what appeared to be thin air.

"A hologram," Xellos murmured as he watched the black haired man's visage. It smirked at him. "How... quaint."

Karasu's smirk wavered momentarily. "I regret that I cannot appear in person. Such a meeting would be... deliciously explosive."

"Yeah, I'd hate to burn your pretty face off, mister," Lina said, not getting the implication. She'd had a Fireball spell on the tip of her tongue too, and was slightly disappointed to not use it.

Karasu chuckled. "Such a fiery one." The hologram stepped toward her, malice clearly showing under his smirk.

Lina took a step back unconsciously, bumping into Yuusuke who placed his hands on her shoulders. He was glaring furiously. "Man, Karasu, this is lame. I thought you had more class than to copy someone like Randy. But at least he wasn't a zombie."

Karasu chuckled. "You assume that I died. Did you ever receive confirmation of that?"

"No," Kurama muttered, slowly rising to his feet. His arms were shaking and he couldn't make them stop, couldn't hide this weakness. "No, I know you were dead..." He sounded unsure now, however.

Hiei stood beside him, placing Kurama's hand on his shoulder and silently offering support. "Either way, he's just a lackey of the Meikai now."

Karasu turned to the fire demon, sneering in contempt. He ignored the lackey remark. "Oh, how far the mighty Youko Kurama has fallen... So weak and defenseless, waiting for a little halfling child to save him."

Hiei growled. "As I recall, you were always a lackey. First to the Toguro brothers, and now to the Meikai."

Karasu's eyes gleamed wildly at the insult. "But can he save you here, Kurama? Will you even want him to, after I'm through with you?"

Hiei snarled. "You won't touch him, you disgusting crow."

"I'll take that as a challenge," seethed the hologram.

Hiei looked alarmed for a second, then sneered. "I'm sure you would, except that you're a lackey."

Before Karasu could give another rejoinder, Xellos knocked his staff against the floor. It echoed loudly on the steel, drawing everyone's attention. "Excuse me. Karasu-san, is it? I believe you forgot one small, yet vital detail in this so-called abduction."

Karasu sneered at him. "And what would that be, priest?"

Xellos brought a finger up to his smirking lips. He was sure he was the superior evildoer in this situation. "That I do not travel the way that these people do." With that, he disappeared.

Zelgadis grinned, feeling oddly proud--at least, before his lover came back abruptly, crashing to the floor. Xellos screamed in obvious pain, as he once did when Chaos Dragon Gaav had cut him open.

Karasu chuckled, a low, disturbing sound. "After losing these five the first time because of something like that, do you really think the Meikai wouldn't close that avenue of escape?"

"Xellos!" Zelgadis crouched down beside the Mazoku. Wild spasms ripped through his body and the younger man attempted to hold him down so he didn't hurt himself. His staff, the priest's favored weapon, had flown across the room, rolling to a halt some few feet away.

"A holy barrier," Lina realized, her jaw hanging open in shock. The kekkai must have been in place around the ship, and it was strong enough to keep Xellos from passing into the Astral Plane. Xellos was a being of the darkness. The white magic of a holy barrier was like acid to Mazoku, pouring onto their very spirits, and Xellos had unknowingly rammed right into it.

Yuusuke watched, wide-eyed. "Shit. What do we do?"

"Healing spells won't work," Lina told him, her fists clenching. "It'd just make him worse since it's white magic."

Zelgadis, feeling oddly inspired by her words, took Xellos' body firmly in his arms. He struggled to expose the priest's shoulder and bit down, holding even after he'd broken the skin. Xellos' limbs flailed as he thrashed, delirious from the pain, until suddenly he calmed and stopped moving altogether. Zelgadis didn't pull away until he was completely asleep.

Lina stared at him. "What did you do, Zel?"

He couldn't meet her gaze as he wiped the blood from his mouth. "I gave him physical pain to counter the spiritual assault. He's still suffering though. I can't heal that. I don't even think *he* can."

Karasu smirked. "Interesting information to know. I'll keep that in mind."

Zelgadis looked up, glaring darkly. Something was coiling inside him, something dark and ancient. He wanted so very badly to give into the sensation. If he could avenge Xellos, he'd do it gladly. "You bastard. I'll kill you."

"Don't, Zel," Lina whispered. She could feel the bloodlust stirring inside her friend and it scared her. "He's not dead yet."

Kurama spoke, almost frightened by his certainty. "And he's not going to die. Xellos is stronger than that."

Zelgadis blinked and looked at Kurama, somehow believing his words, the darkness abruptly leaving him and being replaced by uncertainty. He looked as lost as a hurt child. With the anger now gone, he had nothing else to focus on but his fear. He still heard the priest's screaming. Almost methodically, he straightened the sleeping priest’s clothes once more.

Kurama's fear was, for the moment, gone. "Karasu, you're nothing but particles of light, and we can turn you off when we figure out where the hologram is being emitted from."

"Really now? You'll find that this satellite is much more sophisticated than Rando's, my dear Kurama."

Kurama felt uncertain again, but pressed on. "And you could be bluffing. Either way, I'm not going to let you win."

The hologram stepped closer until they nearly touched. Kurama didn't move. "We shall see," he purred. "Pleasant dreams." With that, the black-haired man fizzled and disappeared.

Kurama's knees gave out and he sagged heavily against Hiei, who held him up without complaint. Kuwabara finally spoke. "Koenma, your dad sucks."

"Yes," the godling agreed solemnly, folding his arms over his chest. Ashamed, he stood a little apart from the rest of the group. "He won't be hearing the last of this, I assure you. Not that it does us much good now."

Yuusuke walked over to him and hugged him. "It's not your fault. You've tried to get him to do better."

"Personally, I think it's time he start paying us hazard pay," Hiei said.

Koenma laughed humorlessly into Yuusuke's shoulder. "With interest from past missions."

Kurama nodded. "Otherwise he can go without MSTs."

Lina bent down beside Zelgadis, who was still crouched on the floor, staring down at Xellos' prone figure. He flinched slightly when she touched his shoulder. "Are there rooms here? We should get Xellos in bed so he can rest." She glanced at her new friends and smiled wanly. “And us too."

Kurama nodded. "There are probably rooms. The innermost one would be best for Xellos, to keep him furthest from the barrier."

"I'll find it," Zelgadis said, raising to his feet, carrying Xellos easily. He walked off without further comment, lost in his thoughts.

Lina frowned after him, waiting until he was out of earshot before speaking. "I hope Xellos is going to be okay..."

"He will," Hiei said. Dimly, his Jagan glowed against the ward tied around his head. "He'll probably be weak for the next several days though."

Kurama nodded. "Xellos is strong. Any other Mazoku probably would have been killed."

Lina gulped audibly then began walking in the general direction of where she guessed the bedrooms to be. "Oh, just so you know, guys? Just because I'm the only girl doesn't mean I'm cooking."

Yuusuke snickered. "That's what Kurama's here for."

Kurama gave him a hard look. "Don't count your chickens, Yuusuke..."

"Chicken? Yeah, that sounds good for dinner."

Hiei rolled his eyes. "We're all going to go find rooms and rest. We can think about food another time."

Kuwabara yawned hugely. "Sounds like a plan."

Koenma frowned. "For safety, we should all find rooms near each other. If there's a problem..."

"Yes," Kurama agreed, still leaning heavily against Hiei. "It's a good idea." Not that there was much else for them to do.

Hiei pulled Kurama toward the hall that the Slayers had headed down. "Come on, Imp."

TBC.