Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enter Ceridwen ❯ The Gifts ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hiei was looking out the window when he heard the front door open and close. Then he saw Ceridwen walking towards town. She was wearing a blue wrap around skirt with white flowers on it. She wore a matching white tank. He had yet to see her in anything but tanks and he didn't mind. Her hair was down today. She usually wore it in a long braid because of their training but today he could see where her hair actually stopped. It ended about halfway down her back. "What's wrong with me," he asked aloud. "Why do I care about these things? Is she just some sorceress or are my brains rattled from our last fight."

"Well I don't know the answers Hiei," came Kurama's voice some five feet from him. Hiei snapped around and glared at Kurama. "If you don't want people to overhear your thoughts Hiei, you should keep them to yourself." Kurama sat on his bed and examined a book he had just bought. Angry Hiei left the room and pounded down the stairs. He was thinking, where's Kuwabara when you need to let out some steam?

Kurama looked out the window at his new teammate. He could see what had captured Hiei's attention. She was by now standards an ordinary girl. She had much power, strength, was goddess like and also a warrior. Perhaps she was a sorceress but one thing was for sure. She was far more than human.

Ceridwen reached town and went shopping. A small book caught her attention. It was a book on the latest meditation methods and ways to relax your mind while your body worked in overtime. Yuske would like this, she thought. She bought it and checked his name off her list. She knew what to get Hiei and Kurama but she had to buy some materials to make what she would give them. Now she just needed something for Kuwabara. Then she saw it. Two books next to each other. One read, Decipher Your Dreams, and the other just was blue and blank inside.

"Perfect," she said to herself. She could give both to Kuwabara and he could write down his dreams, then he could figure out their meanings. She bought this too and continued on to the magical herb store. For Kurama she would give him plants that bloomed in a week and you could use their beautiful blossoms to make potions, medicines and even eat them if necessary. She would buy just three more herbs and make healing medicines for Hiei.

She had not mentioned his arm since their first session but she remembered her mission statements well. They often came with news about people considered potentially dangerous. Hiei's name used to be on every single one but recently it declined and was there only every so often. The last time it had read that his right arm had been crippled during a Tournament. If she could make medicines strong enough, he might have some use of it again. It was worth a shot.

Ceridwen brought everything home and wrapped Yuske and Kuwabara's gifts. She then set up all the herbs for Kurama and placed them in little packages that were labeled. She also included a list of some potions and medicines to make from them. She even included which ones were edible. Finally she prepared some medicines for Hiei. She put them in little sacks with notes of what they were and how to use them. She would wait until they were all asleep before distributing them. Tomorrow morning they would wake to find the gifts on their nightstands.

It was well past midnight when she snuck into Kuwabara and Yuske's room. She gently placed their gifts on the nightstands and left. She listened hard at Kurama and Hiei's room. She heard nothing but wasn't quite sure if both of them were asleep. She used her telepathy to gently poke around in their heads, not strong enough for them to notice. She could see images flash by in each mind, which meant they were dreaming.

Ceridwen gently opened the door and saw both Hiei and Kurama were indeed lying down with their eyes closed. She glided across the carpet and set Kurama's gift on his nightstand. She turned and silently went over to Hiei's nightstand. When she set it down she saw him turn over. She winced, hoping he wouldn't wake. When he didn't she left the room and closed it behind her. She then walked to her room and slept.

Hiei opened his eyes when the sunlight filtered through he sat up and looked over at Kurama. It seemed the Kurama was unwrapping something. "Well this was nice," he said as several packages and a list rolled onto his bed. "Go ahead Hiei, see what she gave you."

Hiei looked at his nightstand and saw seven little velvet bags, each in a different color. He gently picked off the not attached to them. It said:

Hiei,

I wanted to thank all of you for what you have done for me. I know this doesn't seem like much but it could come in handy during the Tournament. Inside each bag is a different remedy. Each is labeled. Two cure burns of different magnitudes, two more can heal cuts of different degrees, another two work wonders on broken bones, and the final bag should be used wisely. It can heal you even if you are an inch from death but it comes at a price. If used it will strip you of your powers and you become mortal. You would still be spiritually aware of everything but you would just be an ordinary human. I only included that one for emergencies. If nothing else it makes for wonderful incense.

-Ceridwen

Hiei set the card down and examined each bag. They were labeled and came with instructions on how to use them. The one that could save him from death but make him mortal was the gold bag. All the other bags looked plane beside it so Hiei was sure he could recognize it well. He would have to remember to thank her for the gifts. He put them inside the drawer of his nightstand and went downstairs to breakfast.

As usual Ceridwen had made it and was already eating before anyone else. Kurama had brought one of his packages and was closely examining the care instructions given. Kurama smiled at Ceridwen and said, "Thanks for the gift."

Ceridwen smiled back and said, "You're welcome. I thought you would like them because not only are they pretty but they are very useful and don't take long to bloom. I think the longest one takes is a week."

"That's what it said. I really appreciate it but you didn't have to. I mean, what have I done for you?"

Ceridwen shook her head. "Well for starters you accepted me the second I walked in the door with Hiei and you treat me as if I belong."

"I guess so." He ate one handed as the other turned the package over and over. Kurama was determined to memorize the instructions before he was done with his meal.

Hiei glared at him. Why was Kurama being so friendly with her? She only gave him herbs. At least Ceridwen gave him something that he could use right now. Hiei caught himself. He was doing it again. What was up with this? Why was he getting so, so, so jealous? Hiei shook his head and turned back to Ceridwen who was now looking at him. "Thank you for my gift too. I really like it and you're right, it will become useful especially in the Tournament."

Ceridwen's eyes brightened. "You're welcome," she said, almost too cheerfully. They both ate and Hiei noticed that today Ceridwen brought her sword. Hiei had forgotten that today they would train and neither would hold back.

Suddenly the room was loud. Kuwabara and Yuske walked into the kitchen. Both had their noses buried in books. The sight of this made Ceridwen laugh. They looked up and both grinned at her. "Thanks Ceridwen," said Kuwabara. "I just found out that my weird loop dream is a sign that I want to change my routine."

"No problem Kuwabara."

"Yeah Ceridwen," said Yuske. I have been trying to find this and practice some more meditation but I didn't know where to look. It should help me stay focused in battle so I can fight better." Ceridwen laughed again and Hiei glared at both Kuwabara and Yuske who stopped talking and just read their books.

He looked at Ceridwen and said, "Let's go." Her eyes flashed with pain for a second but her usual light came back and he saw her eagerness to train. At least she's still interested in training, thought Hiei. Now I can talk to her alone. Wait. Why do I want to talk to her alone? What's wrong with me?