Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enter Ceridwen ❯ Broken Promises ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hiei stared off into space, contemplating what Kumara had just said to him. Was he being too hard on Ceridwen? He should sleep on it, he decided. It was still early but Hiei went to bed.

Downstairs Kurama was sitting silently at the table. He stared at the wall trying to piece things together. Hiei appeared to care for Ceridwen but was being so harsh with her. Ceridwen however, seemed uninterested in Hiei that way and only seeks his approval. Once Hiei realized that he might go off the deep end. He heard footsteps on the stairs and looked up as Ceridwen entered the kitchen. She opened the fridge and began to make dinner.

"Hi Kurama. Is something up? You seem out of it."

Kurama looked at her with interest. Time to find out once and for all, he thought. "Do you remember our conversation about Hiei a few days ago?"

Ceridwen stopped chopping up cucumbers for the night's salad and looked into Kurama's eyes. She sat down next to him and said, "Yes."

"Well now I need more answers Ceri. I need you to answer my questions this time."

"More answers? Well Kumara, what do you want to know?"

"As you know I was watching your training earlier and I noticed his training technique. Is he being too tough on you?"

Ceridwen sighed. "I think I better finish making dinner." She stood up to leave the table but Kurama grasped her wrist.

"No," he said firmly. "You will answer me this time. Is Hiei pushing you too hard?"

Ceridwen sat again and breathed deeply. What could she say? Her body screamed at her whenever she moved but in her mind she knew Hiei just wanted to prepare her for the worst in the Tournament. She gazed into Kurama's eyes. There she saw understanding, acceptance and warmth. "Whatever I say to you stays between us? You won't tell anyone?"

"I will never breathe a word. I swear."

"Fine," she began, slowly starting to relax. "It all started out fine with minor pains. It hurt a little because my body wasn't used to doing that type of training. Then, it got worse. I thought once I was in a routine it would go away but it still hasn't. I ache all the time and my only relief is meditation. I find myself meditating now at least five times a day just for some relief. My body has been under so much strain I feel like I've been in a ten-car pile up! Please Kurama. Please don't tell Hiei. He's only trying to help me the best he can."

"I am afraid, Ceri that he may be doing more harm to you than good. Go upstairs. I will finish making dinner and bring it up to you soon."

"Thank you Kurama," she said. Then she went upstairs and unbraided her hair, brushing it out. There was a knock on her door so she called, "Come in Kurama." The door opened and closed.

"You were expecting Kurama?"

Ceridwen's eyes opened wide. She whirled around to face the door and said, "Hiei! I was just waiting for Kurama to bring up dinner, he offered to make it tonight."

"I'm sure he did," said Hiei coldly. "I'll come back later when you're not busy." He left looking extremely mad. Silently cursing her mouth she continued brushing out her hair. There was another knock on the door just five minutes later.

"Come in," she called. This time Kurama walked in carrying a tray. He smiled at her and set it down. "Thanks Kurama," she said without any emotion in her voice.

"Well don't sound too pleased," Kurama said indignantly.

"I'm sorry Kurama. It's just that Hiei was here a few moments ago..."

Kurama's eyes narrowed. "Hiei was here?"

"Yes and he's really angry now. I don't know why. Is he so touchy about his arm? I guess I shouldn't have given him medicine but I really thought it would help!"

"You gave him medicine?"

"That was his gift. I gave him seven kinds and one could help restore some functions to that arm. It was the strongest burn remedy I know! Maybe he does blame me for Bane's death and he wants me to pay. I just wish he would tell me what I did to insult him."

"You haven't insulted him yet. He's just mad at me and it seems he's taking his anger out on you. I'll talk to him."

"Please don't Kurama. I don't want him mad at you any more than he is. All I do is cause trouble. I'm a jinx! That's all there is to it. I'm a huge jinx!"

Kurama walked over to her and put his hands on her shoulders, lightly shaking her. "You listen to me Ceridwen. There is nothing wrong with you. Something is wrong with Hiei and me. We aren't on the best of terms right now and you just happen to be in the wrong places at the wrong time. Just stay focused on training and I'll take care of Hiei."

"Thank you Kurama. You are a really good friend."

Kurama smiled as he let her go. "Thanks, now I need to be one for Hiei and maybe he will cool off. Eat the food and get to sleep early, you need to rest. In fact, I want you to sleep in. You deserve it." She smiled at him as he left and ate the salad and soup he had given her.

Kurama opened the door to his and Hiei's room to find him sprinkling powder on his hand and adding a warm rag to it which made the powder bubble and cover his arm. "Did you give her the food Kumara? Did you make the dinner tonight for her?"

Kurama walked over to Hiei and sat down next to him. "I told you to be nicer to her Hiei. It's getting really bad for her in there."

"And I told you not to spend so much time with her. Are you starting to fall for her Kurama?"

"You mean like you? No, actually. I will protect her though. Even from you."

"She doesn't need to be protected from me Kurama."

"Yes she does. She is in a lot of pain and I don't just mean physically. She has to meditate to escape pain and she does in five times a day now. She thinks you hate her for the medicine, the bringing up of your arm, and she thinks you blame her for the death of her friend Bane." Hiei looked up at those words.

"She blames herself. I don't blame her for it."

"Then comfort her. Tell her you don't blame her and try to be kind to her. She won't train tomorrow Hiei, her body needs rest. Until you train her like she does have limits I won't let her in that arena with you."

"You have no say when she will train."

Kurama was standing now and shouting at him. "I do now Hiei. I warned you once to back off and now because of that scene you pulled in her room twenty minutes ago I will take action. I told you how hurt she is, I told you what she thinks you feel and now I am telling you it's over. I won't let you force her to meditate so much that she can't even eat. I won't let her be in so much pain that it constantly hurts her. Do you understand me Hiei?"

Hiei just stared at Kurama. A voice came from behind him. "Kurama," it was Ceridwen. You swore not to tell him! You swore to me Kurama!" She turned and ran from the room. Hiei smirked at Kurama.