Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Games ❯ Confusion ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Games:

Chapter 7- Confusion

The whip sang through the afternoon air, cracking and snapping and making the entire forest ring. Kurama's entire kitsune body dripped sweat, and he had ended up tying back his long silver hair. The limp, sweat-drenched hair now hung down to below his waist, occasionally tickling his arms as he continued to practice with his whip.

His brows were furrowed as he concentrated with all his energy and closed out the world around him. All his pent-up emotions floated away in a mist of sweat, and his world narrowed down to just him and the Rose Whip. He cracked it again and gave a satisfied grunt, not noticing when a slender form appeared next to his.

Haven crept up silently on her former love, yanking out her own whip as she went. Unlike Kurama's though, hers was an ordinary leather whip, but she was just as skilled as he was, if not more. Moving forward to stand next to him, she timed her first strike with his next one and their lashes sounded in unison. Kurama looked over sharply in surprise upon hearing the twin snaps. Haven stood next to him, whip in hand, avoiding looking at his face. Smiling to himself, he turned back and the two kitsune slashed again.

Their movements were perfectly timed, perfectly executed, and perfectly in sync. Looking at them, one might have said they were twins, their movements were so alike. Their movements flowed like water in a forest stream and the breeze rippled over their fox tails and tickled their fox ears. Gold and silver swirled into one perfect fox. The whips sang in unison many times over, until finally, Kurama sat down hard on the ground; he could go no further. Haven slashed a few more times, then coiled her whip and tucked it away with perfect grace. Without even sparing the panting kitsune on the ground even the merest of glances, she walked off once more into the foliage.

Sighing, Kurama flopped back and lay on the grass, staring up at the patch of blue sky that was visible through the trees above. She was the most confusing and complicated person he knew, even worse then Hiei! The other boys just hid their grins and went about whatever it was they had been doing; they could tell that Haven was toying with Kurama's mind, but knew that there was no malice in it.

And as the sun wheeled overhead and dropped lower and lower in the sky in its never-ending path, the two kitsunes sat miles apart watching it, not knowing that their hearts beat in perfect unison.

***************

The night fell and the forest darkened with the passing of the sun. The birds ceased their song and the chirps and hums of the nighttime insects thrummed in the air. Wisps of cloud curled around the moon and veiled the stars, shifting slowly in the gentle wind as bats soared between them. Kurama sat staring up at the velvet wonder, his friends asleep around him. Yusuke's snores, Kuwabara's grunts, and Hiei's light breathing twined around him, adding to the symphony of the night. Haven was still gone and he would sit up all night waiting for her if he had to. She may not appear to care about him, but he still cared for her with his entire being so he would sacrifice anything and everything for her.

He relaxed his muscles and calmed his breathing, forcing his breaths to become slow, deep, and even. His gaze still fell upon the sky above, but he no longer saw the stars and the moon. His mind was a calm, clear lake in the midst of a swirling world. He opened up his thoughts to the forest around him and soon Haven's energy rippled across his lake. She was coming closer. He blinked once, twice, and once again the stars wheeled into view overhead. He smiled a crafty grin and continued to stare up at the breathtaking sight above him as he waited.

His patience paid off 15 minutes later when Haven ran into the clearing on the branches of the trees above. The moonlight glinted off her streaming tails and hair and gave her skin a silver glow that made it look like it was cast in silver. The pale light made her seem to be a being from another world, an angel maybe. Kurama found that his breath had been stolen from his throat. He eyes couldn't seem to tear themselves away from the radiant kitsune above him.

With a graceful jump, she flipped off the branch and landed crouched before him, her face a mere two inches from his. He gasped at the unexpected maneuver. She smirked and leaned in so that her lips almost brushed against his, her breath tickling his nose. Kurama's heart sped up as he leaned forward slightly, meaning to catch those sweet lips in a sweeping kiss. But all he met was the perfumed air of the Makai forest. Confused he looked around to find Haven once again on the branch above his head. Her golden eyes gleamed in the moonlight as she stared down at him. It was then, in that moment that Kurama knew she had once again been toying with him.

Frustrated and angry he lept up and opened his mouth, intending to scream out all his aggravation and pain to her. But she merely swished her tails, taking in the sleeping boys below in one sweep, and the meaning was clear to Kurama. Fuming, he turned his back on her and lay down to go to sleep. He felt her eyes on his back, but he ignored them and soon drifted off to sleep.

As soon as she was sure the kitsune below was asleep, Haven leaped lightly off the branch and landed beside him. Kneeling down she stared into his face, once again marveling at the beauty she saw there. It tore at her heart and she reached out one trembling hand to brush back a lock of his silver hair. But Kurama stirred slightly in his sleep and Haven quickly yanked her hand back, her breath coming quickly in startled little pants. She shook her head and darted off into the shadows. "What was I thinking?!" she chastised herself mentally. "I will NOT love him! I refuse!"

But as she ran off into the night, not looking back, Kurama's golden eyes flew open and a wicked, fanged grin crossed his face. He would make her walls crack once again. He would prove to her once and for all that he loved her, even if it was the last thing he did. Rolling over, he closed his eyes once more and fell asleep dreaming of her soft touch.