Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Games ❯ Mind Games ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Games:

Chapter 8- Mind Games

The morning air was laced with dew and the grass was dotted with moisture as the sun rose over the tops of the trees. The sky was stained a deep red mingled with purples, pinks, and golds, creating a swirling vortex of color that took away the breath of all who watched. Staring in wonder, Haven's tails trembled slightly at the natural wonder, the sight almost bringing tears to her eyes, which mirrored perfectly the gold they looked at. Her ears moved slowly, catching the sounds of the dawn, birdsong, leafsong, and sunrise all blending into one perfect harmony. Today was going to be a gorgeous day, she could tell.

Kurama gazed also at the sunset, his mouth hanging slightly open in awe. The other boys stood near him, also gawking at the amazing sight. He spared one short glance at Haven and found her also wrapped up the majestic beauty of nature. Grinning, he knew she was off guard and crept up silently behind her. Snaking out one slender arm, he wrapped it loosely around her small waist. Startled, she gasped and jumped away from him, her eyes sparking. She glared at him furiously, venom spitting from the golden orbs of her eyes.

Kurama was slightly surprised at the malice in her eyes and he involuntarily took a small step back. Growling, Haven showed a flash of her fangs, then whirled about and ignored him, pretending to once again be absorbed in the sunrise. Shakily, Kurama walked slowly over to stand by Hiei, who, out of the corner of his eye, had seen the entire exchange. Exchanging worried glances, the two friends stood by in uneasy silence as the kitsune girl's eyes roamed over the soaring skies above.

A little while later, the small team was once again on the move, chasing down their quarry and looking for a fight. The sunny day reminded Haven painfully of the summer in the year before…the summer when she had fallen in love with Kurama…the summer where she had made the biggest mistake of her life. The gorgeous sunrise had turned into a gorgeous day and the skies seemed to sing above her. Blue and white chased each other in a never-ending circle across the wide expanse, and the birds swooped and soared among them. Breathing in deeply, Haven caught the scents of flowers and trees and animals, all blending into one intoxicating mix that brought back both painful and happy memories of her childhood here. She hadn't been to the Makai in a long time, and now that she was finally back, it was almost like heaven for her. The only downside to all of this was Butari…

Risking a glance towards the girl kitsune, Kurama was startled to find an almost wistful look on her face, as if she were just now remembering some long-forgotten dream and realizing it would never come to pass. His eyes flooded with concern and his hands ached to hold her. But, his own memories crowded his mind, memories from just that morning when she had seemed ready to kill him for the merest touch. He sighed and let the wind tease his silver hair, whipping it out behind him like a banner. Haven hadn't pulled her hair up in its usual ponytail today, so consequently her long, liquid gold locks flowed out behind her also. She still walked with the same fluid grace Kurama remembered, all her movements seeming effortless, like water almost, and he wondered how she did it. If losing her just once had affected him to the point where he could barely stand to get up each morning, then how did she manage to deal with losing everyone and everything that had been special to her and still be able to retain her cat-like elegance.

Haven slowly found herself spiraling back down towards the ground, her memories fading as she purposefully pushed them from her mind. They would do her no good here and would only get in the way. She must use her skills of hiding and forgetting and once more don her mask of dispassion. She tossed her head, sending rivulets of gold everywhere and causing her eyes to catch Kurama staring at her again out of the corner of her eye. He looked away the moment he saw her eyes turn towards him and she sneered to herself. He would pay for all that he had done to her, not only this morning, but the greater pain he had caused. Chuckling softly she faded out from view and reappeared right next to her former kitsune love.

Startled, Kurama jumped slightly and looked over at her warily, seeing nothing in her eyes but an almost unbearable blankness. Yet, her face was grinning and her movements were light. Smiling back, but keeping up his guard, Kurama opened his mouth to say a simple hello. However, as this slight movement, her finger shot out and placed itself upon his lips, silencing his talk. Unknowingly, the two had stopped dead in the forest and were falling behind the others. Leaning in seductively, Haven's half-lidded eyes looking searchingly into his. Her finger fell from his lips and her face was right up in his. Breathing in the heady scents of his fox love, Kurama reached out one hand and was surprised to find that she did not shy away when he placed it on her hip. Leaning in a little more, he thought she was finally giving in to him when…CRACK!

A stunned cry escaped his lips as she stepped back, a satisfied smirk on her pretty face. One of his hands reached around to gently massage his stinging butt and Haven snickered at the look of utter amazement and growing anger mixed on his face. Laughing she bounded ahead to where the others were waiting. Raising his eyebrow, Hiei looked at the fox girl and found her still chuckling away to herself. Peering back at Kurama, he caught the fox still ruefully rubbing his behind and sighed. This was going to be harder then he had thought…

***************

That night found the four boys and the kitsune girl sprawled around a small fire, the two foxes on opposite sides, avoiding each other's eyes. Yusuke and Kuwabara were engaged in another one of their good-natured battles of the tongue and Hiei was ignoring them pointedly, disdain written all across his small face. Kurama grinned at the look on his friend's face and glanced over as Haven shifted slightly, shifting her position so that she was now resting on her stomach, chin propped in her hands while she stared into the fire.

The flames created fiery pictures that danced and twirled before her eyes, almost blinding her with their orange-yellow glow. Memories, dreams, and half-formed realities took form in those simple flames, causing her eyes to water not only just with the brightness. But she stubbornly refused to cry and unfocused her gaze from the leaping flames. Staring at nothing and letting her mind drift on a sea of nothingness was the only way her heart could forget. It had been a technique she had perfected over many years and now employed once more.

Hiei leaned over to Kurama and whispered fiercely to him in an aggravated undertone. Kurama whispered back vehemently and the two were soon locked in a lively battle of wits. The subject of their argument left sometime in the midst of their words and only the slight traces of her unique scent lingered behind. Kurama's sensitive nose caught the familiar smell. He breathed in deeply and got up to follow her.

"Good!" Hiei growled, glaring up at the kitsune. Sticking out his tongue at the little fire demon and letting his hand stay once more over his rear, Kurama shook his head and marched purposefully out of their little campsite. Grinning a fanged grin, Hiei leaned back on his elbows and started to listen in on Yusuke and Kuwabara's argument. Snorting when he found it incredibly stupid, the little demon had soon tuned them out once more and was waiting impatiently for the two foxes to return.

Meanwhile, Haven had wandered about a mile from the fireside and was standing on the top of a hill the overlooked a deep canyon. Rushing water churned and frothed at its bottom and the spray painted the lower half of the walls a dark black in the moonlight. Sighing she turned her face heavenwards and let the night breeze cool her burning face. Today had been a strain on her, what with Kurama's games and her toying with him. All she had wanted was to be left alone and in peace, to live out the rest of her pointless life. But Koenma had called her back and no one, not even her, disobeyed the ruler of the Spirit World. So here she was, in the middle of the Makai, with Kurama and all her old friends, her walls back up once again. The situation looked beyond bleak to her.

A slight rustle in the branches beside her caught her attention and she turned swiftly, watching with mistrustful eyes as the willowy form of Youko Kurama emerged from the foliage. Snorting she was about to turn and walk away once again before a strong grip caught her arm. "No," came the simple, yet forceful order from her former love. Wrenching her arm away, she continued to leave and was annoyed when once again her arm was caught in the almost crushing grip.

Exasperated she said, "Let me go Kurama. I do not wish to speak with you." His chuckle held no mirth in it whatsoever and when Haven turned to look in his face, she found her own cold, heartless eyes mirrored back at her.

"We're going to talk…NOW," came the answer and it echoed and rebounded off the canyon walls. NOW…now…ow…w…

Haven threw back her head and laughed, a high-pitched insane sound that almost drove Kurama insane right then and there. It went on and on and on, a seemingly never-ending stream of maniacal cackles. "Haven!" he called, shouting to be heard over her laugher. "Haven, please! Listen to me! I'm sorry! Do you hear me? I'm sorry for all that I've done to you and I wish you would stop toying with me and just please give me one more chance! Just one MORE CHANCE!"

At those last, desperate words from her former love, Haven's laughter finally stopped. She took a few deep breaths, still staring up at the starry night sky. Kurama gently pulled her into his embrace, both his arms encircling her slender waist loosely. After a few more agonizing moments, she finally came back down to the ground and looked him directly in the eye. "Kurama…" she murmured and fell into his arms, weeping.