Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Games ❯ Demon ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Games:

Chapter 10- Demon

Her feet swayed unsteadily and one hand flew up to cover her open mouth. Kurama slipped a steadying arm around her waist and placed the other one on her shoulder. "Haven?" She turned towards him and buried her face in his chest; her could hear her breath coming in short, ragged gasps.

With a worried frown, he glanced up at the other boys and they just shrugged at him and looked away. Doing his best to comfort the spastic girl in his arms, Kurama held her close until she finally looked up at him, eyes wide and depthless. "Promise me you'll stay by my side, Kurama?" she whispered in a pleading tone.

"Of course I will!" Kurama exclaimed, confusion tinting his voice. Breathing a sigh of relief, Haven let go of him and stepped back, the color returning to her face. Kuwabara's mouth was hanging open and the look on Yusuke's face would have been funny is the whole situation wasn't so weird. Even Hiei's face had a touch of puzzlement on it.

But Haven, ignoring every one of them, linked her arm through Kurama's once more and continued the way they had been headed. The others followed slowly, Yusuke shutting Kuwabara's mouth with a click as he went by. Sighing to himself, the orange-haired boy continued on, wishing someone would explain things to him once and a while.

***************

Three and half hours later found the four boys and their humming kitsune seated at the edge of a small stream; the said kitsune dangling bare, clawed feet in the clear water. Slyly, she scooped up a handful the cool water and threw it square in Hiei's face. Jumping up from where he had been sitting, leaned against a tree trunk with his eyes closed, he sputtered as the golden kitsune giggled. Snorting, he knelt down on the grassy bank and scooped up a handful of water for himself. Flinging it at Haven, a grin broke out on his small face and one pointed fang showed. Still giggling, Haven ducked and laughed even harder when she heard the startled grunt that sprang from Kuwabara's mouth.

"Hey shorty!" he bellowed. "What'd ya do that for, huh?!"

And soon the streambed rang with the laughter and shouts of the five friends as the water from the stream flew back and forth through the air, glittering in the sunlight.

Chuckling, Haven fell into Kurama's lap, her long, unbound hair flinging even more water onto the kitsune boy. Sighing happily, he hugged her waist tightly and nuzzled her neck.

Rolling his eyes, Yusuke turned to Kuwabara and jerked his thumb at the two flirting kitsune, but the taller boys was once again staring off at nothing with a look of intense concentration on his face. "Not again," the dark-haired boy muttered.

"Sorry to disappoint you Urameshi," Kuwabara said darkly. He hesitated.

"What is it Kuwabara?"

"He's closer this time…much closer…"

After relaying the message to the others, Yusuke stood up, ready to head out and find Butari, but was surprised when Kuwabara reached out and laid a restraining hand on his arm. "Wait Urameshi…he's coming to us."

Eyes widening, Yusuke sat down hard next to his friend, trying his best to relax. By now, all of them could sense a tremendous power drawing near. Haven sat stock still on Kurama's lap, both arms wrapped loosely around his neck. Kurama waited coolly, golden eyes glinting in the sun that filtered down from above. His tails swished through the air and one wrapped itself around Haven; he could feel the slight shiver that passed through her body at the touch of his silky tails.

The tension among the group crackled like electricity in the air. Five bodies were tensed, five sets of muscles were all on alert and ready to move at the slightest notice. Five pairs of eyes stared in five different directions, watching for the inevitable menace soon to come. Two swords hummed in their sheaths, screaming for the thrill of battle, while the sharp taste of Spirit Energy stung the mouths of the waiting group.

How long they waited, five minutes, five hours, the teens never knew, but eventually the leaves of the underbrush on the opposite side of the stream swayed as if moved by and unseen force. Haven drew in a sharp breath and her entire body tensed up. Kurama spared a fraction of a second to wonder at what it was that was making her act like this, before focusing his attention back to the problem at hand.

The leaves rustled again and a figure stepped out from the foliage. Scanning the small group, its blue eyes came to rest upon Haven and widened in surprise. Its mouth curled upwards into a fanged grin that was more smirk then anything. "Hello Haven."

His voice was smooth, and surprisingly soft, but nonetheless it carried well across the distance between them, tickling their ears.

All eyes came to rest upon the kitsune girl. Standing up slowly, she met the demon's gaze square on. He blinked but did not back down as she took a deep breath. "Hello Butari."