Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Confession ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Love:
Chapter 12- Confession



The next few months were the best days of Haven's life. She grew even closer to the boys, dragging even Hiei out of his shell. The five were still on their mission, still needing to find the other two Chaos Articles. The Chaos Coronet and the Chaos Ring were still out there somewhere causing...well chaos!

The little group had moved on from the city where they had spent that wonderful Christmas. Kuwabara had sadly sent his kitten home, with a note to his sister to take care of it for him. Wandering aimlessly the friends heard nothing of the Articles for many weeks, until one day in late January.

Yusuke's communication mirror jarred them all awake with its loud, annoying ring. Groaning Haven reached over and punched Yusuke's stomach, telling him without words to shut it up. Swearing he sat up and flipped open the top of the purple mirror.

"What?" he mumbled irritably.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Boton's voice chirped cheerily.

"When did you get up this morning?" Yusuke asked, yawning.

"Guess what?" she answered back, ignoring his question. "I have another trip for you guys to make."

Mumbles and complaints issued from the still sleepy group. Hiei even went far enough to tell Botan that the stupid ningens could save themselves for all he cared.

Ten minutes later, still yawning, the company ate a quick breakfast then continued on their way. The Chaos Ring was supposedly around somewhere to the west and they were off again once more. Green leaves swished gently above their heads and the sky above was a perfect blue. They were in a northern region of the land and winter had no effect here. The warm air that swirled round them tickled their noses with the subtle scent of wildflowers and meadows. Kurama was in his element, identifying almost every flower that he smelled and announcing them quietly to himself. Haven, walking next to him, looked over occasionally and grinned.

Over the last weeks, Haven had opened up to the boys even more. They all became inseparable, even Hiei. He was also less withdrawn, Haven's personality being irresistible. After her walls had been torn down, she was one of the best people Kurama had ever known. She could make anyone laugh, including Hiei and always knew what to say that would make someone feel better. Now it seemed she was always in a good mood. Her spirits seemed to buoy the others, to lift them up with hers, so it was almost impossible not to be in a good mood when she was around.

"Who would have thought?" he mused to himself, glancing over at the laughing kitsune girl. Then he glanced at Hiei. Even he was laughing, his head thrown back, the breeze ruffling his spiky hair.

It seemed that the kitsune had been the best thing for them. She had brought them closer together, and wormed her way into their hearts. Kurama was sure that they had wormed their way into hers also. He grinned when Haven fell in step with him and linked her arm through his. Throwing her head back, she began to sing, a spirited joyful tune with words she made up right there on the spot.

I want to change the world!
Piercing through the gales, unafraid of anything,
Now I hold my courage and pieces of my smile.
Change my mind!
If we reach out to the soaring future,
without losing our passion, we'll be able to shine,
It's wonderland!



The others caught on, humming the tune. She often used this tune, for it reflected her happiness. But the words were different every time, always changing, always optimistic, just like their singer. Kurama loved it when she sang. The memory of her singing to him that very first time was still stuck in his mind, as it would be always, and he often recalled it with a smile on his face. Her singing filled him with an unexplainable joy, and made him feel as if it were him that she was singing for, just him and no one else existed.

He loved her; that he knew. But how to tell her...He had thought long and hard on this one. Was she ready? After all there was one part of her story she really hadn't gone into much detail on, the part where she fell in love and was horribly betrayed. His arm through his tightened momentarily, giving her a friendly squeeze, which she promptly returned. He had to tell her...and soon. Tonight, he swore silently to himself. He would tell her tonight, no matter what.

Her sharp eyes scanning ahead, Haven gave a shout of glee and rushed ahead, much like Hiei in her speed. The others followed as fast as they could, Hiei getting there next. The proud kitsune girl stood on a giant rock next to a sparkling pond, half shaded by enormous willow trees. The sun shone down with particular force for winter, even in the northern parts of the country, and there were no clouds to speak of. The perfect blue dome that was the sky reflected off the mirror-like surface of the lake, coloring it blue. Haven stood atop the rock like a queen, her pony-tailed golden hair streaming out like a banner behind her. Her cheeks were flushed with excitement and the heat and her eyes glittered with the sunlight reflecting off the lake. Kurama forcefully repeated his vows to himself, tonight!

Crowing her delight, Haven yanked off her cloak, shoes, socks, and black tank top, standing there in only her pants and sports bra. "Come on!" she shouted before flipping into the air and executing a perfect dive into the waters. The water spurted up from her spot of entry and created a glittering geyser that covered the boys with its spray.

Whooping, Yusuke followed her into the water, his shoes, jacket, and shirt discarded on the sandy banks. Hiei followed shortly after, his cloak, shirt, and shoes joining Yusuke's. The three now in the water threw handfuls of the cool liquid at the two still on the shore. Laughing and trying to block the splashes, Kurama quickly joined them in the water, helping them gang up on Kuwabara. He yelled and jumped back about twenty feet. Laughing Haven disappeared for a moment below the surface of the water and reemerged, her cheeks puffed out. She lept out of the water and ran full speed at Kuwabara, squirting him with the water in her mouth. Chuckling, she returned to the water by means of another perfect dive.

Yusuke snorted. "I could do that," he bragged.

"Okay then Mr. Perfect, let's see it," Hiei sneered.

Sticking his slender, but well toned chest out, Yusuke strode over to the rock and clambered up to the top. Jumping into the air, he flipped once in the air and landed flat on his belly on the surface of the water. The resounding smack that followed issued winces from the others watching, Kuwabara now halfway in the water.

Haven almost died of laughter, her sides heaving and her cheeks wet with tears, she leaned on Kurama for support, grabbing onto his muscular shoulder. He froze for a second, then relaxed, joining in her laughter at Yusuke's expense. Hiei was shaking, his small hands wrapped around his waist as he laughed uncontrollably. Kuwabara was smirking and swimming over to where Yusuke was hanging onto the edge of the rock, trying to regain his breath.

"You could do that too, huh?" Kuwabara asked as he promptly dunked Yusuke under.

Sputtering and gasping for air, the Spirit Detective resurfaced and glared at his laughing friend.

Haven tapped Kurama's arm, getting his attention, then pointed at Hiei. Smiling, he nodded to show his understanding and laid a finger over his lips. A cat-like grin on her face, Haven slipped silently beneath the surface of the water and came up behind Hiei, who was still grinning smugly at Yusuke's expense. The wide grin still plastered on her face she quickly brought her hands up and shoved Hiei's spiky head under the water.

In a flash she was back next to Kurama, stifling her laughter with her slender hands. Kurama, with difficulty, schooled his face to neutrality, but with every passing second it threatened to betray him. Hiei, coughing and choking on the cool pond water, broke the surface and impatiently flipped his sodden bangs out of his eyes. Looking around, he glared at the two foxes, their sides shaking and their eyes dancing and he knew it was them.

Finally letting her laughter out Haven whooped and dove once more into the water. Seconds later, Kuwabara found himself the victim of her dunking. For the next half hour, the group was engaged in an all-out water war. Dunking, splashing, tossing, the five soon felt that they had drunk at least half the water out of the pond. Squealing as Kuwabara chased after her, trying to dunk her under, Haven splashed her way over to Kurama and lithely vaulted onto his shoulders. Screaming for him to save her, she clapped her hands around his head and over his eyes. Laughing, the fox boy took a few steps forward, then dunked them both under. Spitting water, the kitsune girl resurfaced and gaped at Kurama in mock anger. He continued to laugh, brushing the red locks out of his face.

And so the water war waged on. And as the fiery ball that was the sun began to sink down below the rim of the horizon, the teens realized they must stop their war and focus on dinner. Lying on sand stained honey-colored by the dying sun, they dried themselves and talked softly of their mission to come. A while later they grabbed their clothes and packs and moved to the other side of the lake, underneath the giant willows.

Later that evening, as the stars winked into view, and dinner was finished Haven moved off by herself and sat down by the shores of the lake. She stared off over the rippling surface at the rock where they had been earlier on this perfect day.

A light breeze whispered through the trees, swirling Kurama's long, red tresses around his face. His depthless green eyes were fixed on the fox girl and they showed love...and hesitation. Should he talk to her? Was he really ready for this? Then he remembered the vow he had made earlier. Yes, he would do it. Tonight would be the night. He would talk to her, tell her how he really felt, and then he would...his thoughts trailed off into nothing at that point. "I'll wait, I guess," he thought. "Who knows what she'll do, I mean...she's been hurt before. And she never really told us much about the person she loved. I wonder..." Shaking his head, he flipped his hair over his shoulders and, hands shaking slightly, walked over to where Haven sat.

Sitting down quietly beside her he said nothing for a moment. Then..."Haven?" The question came out quiet, unsure.

Her golden head turned towards his in silent anticipation.

Kurama took a deep breath. This was the hardest thing he had ever had to say in his life. "I...well...I..." he stuttered. Breathing in deeply once more he decided to just say it bluntly. "I love you, Haven."

She stared back at him, her eyes wide, and said nothing; moments later she broke their gaze and dropped her head. When she raised it a few moments later, tears glistened at the corners of her eyes. Moved by compassion, Kurama gathered her in his arms as he had done once before, and held her as she cried.

He did not know how much time passed. It might have been a month for all he knew. For the two foxes, time ceased to exist and all the world stood still. Haven's tears seemed endless and Kurama was content to just sit there and let her cry. His shoulder was soon soaked and still he held her tightly, protectively, as if she were already his.

He began to sing softly to her, as she had once done to him on that one night, so long ago.

You're a heart without a home,
A rebel without a cause.
Like a thief in the night,
Let me steal your heart away.
If reason's what you're looking for,
I'll be yours,



Eventually, the spell was broken as Haven slowly lifted her head and met Kurama's gaze. Her glistening face took on and unearthly glow in the silvery moonlight and her eyes shimmered. They were filled once more with pain and anguish, but also something more this time. Kurama thought he had caught a glimpse of something long forgotten...something she had not felt in a long time. She opened her mouth and looked like she was about to say something, but nothing came out. Burying her face once more in the fox-boy's shoulder she wrapped her arms around him and hoped he would get the message.

Twitching in surprise as Haven's arms came around him, Kurama looked down at the top of her head. He could not see her face, but somehow he knew that some of the pain would be gone, some of the cares a little less. Smiling to himself he gently rested his head on top of hers, rubbing his nose through her silky hair. She made a choked noise and clutched him tighter. Kurama's grin grew wider as he hugged her back. He had is fox, she was his. His heart felt complete, his life whole.

And back in the grove of willows, three boys looked on with triumphant grins on their faces, and amusement in their eyes.




DISCLAIMER: The songs "Change the World" and "I'll Be Yours" aren't mine. I did not write them and I don't have anything to do with them.