Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Ice Skating ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Love:
Chapter 11- Ice Skating



Upon reaching the rink, Kurama smiled to himself, happy with the way things were going, and glided gracefully onto the ice. Looking ahead he saw Haven skating smoothly in front of Hiei, showing him how to push off and glide. Hiei was scowling and clutching the railing with a death grip. Yusuke skated by, slightly less graceful, but still on his feet and slammed to a stop next to Hiei. He said something which Kurama couldn't quite catch, but he got the general drift of its meaning when Hiei's hand swiftly darted to the sword hidden beneath his cloak at his side. Laughing, Yusuke rushed away to where Kuwabara was and the two of them proceeded to skate around, running into people and shoving each other. Shaking his head, Kurama joined Haven and Hiei, hiding an amused grin with his gloved hand.

"Here Hiei, give me your hands," Haven said coaxingly.

Hiei growled. "I'm going to fall," he stated flatly.

"Not if you let me help you," Haven persisted. She reached out and pried his hands off the railing, grasping them each in one of her own. Skating backwards, she led him along, slowly, and he followed, his whole body tense. Kurama skated beside him grinning the whole time. Haven looked up momentarily, caught his eye, and grinned back, her face lighting up. Kurama's heart lept.

Meanwhile, Hiei's feet almost slid out from underneath him and he swore loudly. Haven sighed and stopped skating. She stood there for a second, looking at Hiei then looked over at Kurama. Grabbing Hiei's left hand, she motioned for Kurama to take his left. Then, supporting Hiei between them, they proceeded around the rink, showing Hiei what to do with his feet. He stared fixedly down at them, concentrating intensely.

Yusuke and Kuwabara sped by, angry shouts following them. Yusuke slammed into the wall above, turned around and shouted a rude reply before skating away once more. Shaking his head, Kurama's mouth twitched and he tried to hide it. Catching his grin Haven laughed once more, her head thrown back and her hair catching the glint of the noonday sun. The perfect blue of the sky was reflected in her eyes, giving them a surreal aqua tint.

Hiei grunted to himself, then slipped his small hands from their firm grip. His arms held slightly out for balance, Hiei wobbled a few feet ahead of them, then turned around with a triumphant grin.

It was the first time Kurama had seen Hiei smile in a long time. "There must be something about today," he thought to himself. "Even Hiei's coming out of his shell."

The two other boys skated up then and Yusuke linked his arm through Haven's, spinning her around in a fast circle. Laughing, she swore good-naturedly at him, then grabbed Kurama's arm and formed a chain. Her laughter was catchy Kurama realized as he too began to laugh. His arm went through Hiei's and Kuwabara's through Yusuke's other arm. They formed a chain and skated around the rink, laughing and joking among themselves, happier then they had been in a long time.

"There are days when those gray skies
Make you blue
Each forward step you take
You fall back by two
You've been hit by some hard knocks
You just can't stand
Let me be there to lend a hand
Call my name and I'll be there
There's nothing like the laughter that we share
whenever you need someone
or a shoulder to lean on
Call my name and I'll be there
And when life's going your way
Just like a breeze
Together we'll be making memories
As this world turns us around
I will go an extra mile
To give you back a certain smile
That you've given me, yeah
I'll answer every time and anywhere
Call my name and I'll be there
Call my name
I'll be there
"



As the popular song blared over the loud speakers, Haven was overwhelmed with a sense of belonging. She looked down the row at the others she was with. Kuwabara, Yusuke, Kurama, Hiei, these were her friends. She belonged with them. She started, realizing something now that she hadn't before. It filled her with a happiness she hadn't known since the days when her parents were still alive. She was loved, she was with friends. This was where she belonged. She threw back her head to the azure sky and laughed, her happiness welling up inside her like a flood. The others laughed with her, not knowing why she laughed, but it felt right. Her mood was catchy and soon everyone was in high spirits.

And as the sun slipped down below the horizon, dying for another night, Haven knew that this was the best day of her life.



DISCLAIMER: The song "I'll Be There" isn't mine. I didn't write it, sing it, produce it, whatever.