Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Song ❯ Dream ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Song:

Chapter1- Dream

Sunbeams danced in the air, filtering down through the leafy jade trees, their golden light giving the kitsune sitting beneath them a soft glow. He head was thrown back in laughter, her mouth curved up in a wide grin, eyes sparkling and dancing with mirth. Slender hands held a long, coiled whip that looked as if it were a mere extension of her body, as if it was used to being there. Long legs sprawled out in front of her, dainty feet crossed one over the other, with long clawed toenails tipping each. Her ears twitched as Kurama walked towards her.

He stared at his love as Haven laughed again and beckoned him to her side. He ran forward eagerly, even though something in the back of his mind screamed a warning. His arms reached out to her and as they curved inward, to pull her to him, she began to fade. His mouth opened in wordless scream of horror, but she had already dissolved into a shimmering gold sunbeam.

Tears prickled the backs of his eyes and an overwhelming weakness took over his body. He sank to the ground moaning, hands flying up to cover his eyes as he rocked back and forth, longing for his lost lover. The sunbeams danced merrily around him as if mocking his pain and he angrily lashed out at them with clawed hands. Growling, he jumped up and let out a scream which deafened the sounds of the forest and startled several flocks of birds from their roosts.

As his scream faded, another sound became present. Laughter; cruel, mirthless laughter that made the hairs on his neck prickle and his tails to bristle and bush out. Whirling around, he came face to face with the mutilated Butari. It seemed as if his hideous corpse had come back to life; blood ran down from numerous gashes and deep gouges, creating a lake of red around his feet. One eye was missing and he staggered towards the paralyzed kitsune with a limping stride.

The laughter went on and on and on, ringing in Kurama's ears until it drowned out even the beating of his own heart. Butari advanced further, but Kurama found himself unable to move. His feet felt like blocks of granite and his muscles moved sluggishly, as if he were swimming through a pool of tar. Frantic now, he watched as Butari yanked out a wicked looking short sword and sneered at him as both his teeth and the sword glinted in the sun. His snake's tongue darted out for a moment to lick at the blood seeping into his mouth.

The sword point flew towards Kurama as if in slow motion. The glittering blade came closer and closer, aimed right for his heart, and terror grew in his mind. And just as the dangerously sharp tip pierced the skin of his chest…

Kurama's eyes flew open and he was staring up at the blue skies above. Gasping for breath, he sat up and clutched his chest, right where his heart would have been. This was the third time this week he had had that dream. Wincing as he thought of that blade, he massaged his chest even harder.

"You okay Kurama?" Kuwabara asked as he walked by, carrying an armload of firewood.

"Fine," Kurama answered, getting up and stretching as he did so. Cracking his back, he caught a glimpse of Hiei, sitting high up in a tree, watching him with a concerned eye. Sparing the little demon an exasperated glance, the silver kitsune turned pointedly around and yanked out a Rose Whip. Growling and muttering to himself, he began to practice with his favorite weapon, delighting in the cracks and snaps it made as he whipped it though the air and made it sing.

Hiei watched his fox friend closely, eyes wary and watchful. Once again, Kurama awoke suddenly and began rubbing his chest. Either something was wrong, or he was having some sort of a nightmare. Probably the latter, the fire demon reflected as an afterthought. He had never known Kurama to get sick and after all that had happened in his life lately, he would not be surprised in the least to find out that his friend was having nightmares of some sort.

**FLASHBACK**

…The limp form of Haven lay not twenty feet from Butari's corpse.

"No!" he murmured. "No!" He crawled over on hands and knees as fast as he could, pulling her lifeless body into his arms and hugging it tightly to him. "No Haven, no!" Tears poured down his face, hot and salty, but he didn't seem to notice. Burying his face in her neck he sobbed openly, his entire body shaking.

Long minutes dragged by and eventually his tears stopped. Pulling back, he brushed her shining hair out of her face and stared into her eyes, which were now covered with the shroud of death. With two clawed fingers, he gently closed them and lay her back on the ground, sighing as he did so. The tearstains on his cheeks shone in the sun as it bathed Haven in a golden glow, making it looks as if she had been cast out of the purest gold. He run his fingers through her hair once more and gave her chill lips one last kiss.

Standing up, he stared down at his love for long moments, watching the play of shadows over her body and noting that even in death, she was still the most gorgeous being he had ever laid eyes on.

One last, lone tear rolled down his cheek and he flicked it away with one finger. Looking at his fallen love one last time, he swept his eyes heavenward and gazed up at the sapphire blue expanse above. "Goodbye my fox…" he whispered…

**END FLASHBACK**

It had been one month since that fateful day and still Kurama held on to a tiny shred of hope that somehow, somewhere, his kitsune lover might still be alive. The days flew by in an endless blur and missions and assignments came and went like water. He flowed through life as if he were living a dream from which he could not awaken. Most things had lost all meaning to him now and it took real fortitude and patience to get anything through to him now.

"Chow's ready!" Kuwabara called and Kurama put away his whip with a sigh. Time to eat, though he did not know why he bothered. There seemed no point.

There seemed to be no point to anything now that Haven was gone.