Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Song ❯ Song ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Song:

Chapter 2- Song

The night seemed to pulse around him with the rhythm of thousands of years gone by. The age from the forest seeped into his bones and became one with his very being as he walked beneath the tall trees, moonlight staining his head an even brighter silver. Leaves rustled beneath his softly placed steps and the sweet night air swirled around him in a vortex of scents that tickled his nose and painted his mouth with the musty smells of legends long dead.

He sighed and paused in a small clearing to stand and look up at the moon and stars suspended forever in time above. They glittered like millions of gems embedded in satin and he could name many of them, knew many of them from his days before as Youko Kurama. And now that he was back in his truest form, knowledge and cunning sang in his veins once more. All the craftiness and secrets that had once been his came flooding back in a rush and washed him away on a tide of euphoria.

But that joy and elation had been dampened with the absence of Haven, had become dull with the passing of her life. Nature still sang in his veins and rang in his heart, but it could never fill the empty space her death had left in his life. Breathing in deeply, he closed his eyes and allowed a wave of sadness and memory to wash over him. He could see he face, feel her soft lips, could hear her alluring voice as it sang to him…

…Hear her voice? His eyes flew open and her face and touch evaporated like water, but her voice remained. High and clear it floated to him on a sea of time and he found himself trying to place the sound. Pointed ears twitched and tails trembled, his entire body stood on a knife's edge. It came again, and although he could not make out the exact words, he knew at once it was Haven's voice. Whirling about be followed the melody, weaving in and out among the trees, tails flying and hair streaming out behind him.

The voice grew closer, the song grew happier, and Kurama's heart soared. The notes soared in volume and he knew if he reached the other side of the line of trees ahead, he would find her there. "Haven!" he shouted right as he burst through the trees, spraying leaves and dead vines everywhere. His golden eyes darted around expectantly for her slender form, her gleaming hair, but all that they saw was a miniature cyclone of leaves; spinning and dancing in the air, they whispered amongst themselves, then scattered, falling lifeless to the forest floor. Tinkling laughter reached his ears, then faded into nothing.

Eyes widening he scanned the trees and skies above but there was nothing there. Growling, he whipped around and struck the nearest tree as hard as he could, causing bark to explode in every direction. "HAVEN!!!" he roared at the tops of his lungs. He thought he heard that musical laughter of hers once again, but when he strained his ears, the wind filled them and drowned out all else. Swearing under his breath he turned around and headed back towards the camp where the other boys were. His eyes stung and his tails drooped lifeless behind him.

The wind grew to a stiff breeze and blew maddeningly at the kitsune, churning a tide of currents around him that ruffled his tails and mussed his hair. He sighed again, louder this time an paused, turning his face to the wind. It carried to his sensitive nostrils a scent he had become familiar with a long time ago, a scent that comforted him and soothed his troubled mind. It was the smell of wildflowers, meadows, and…something else; a muskier scent that reminded him of hidden passion and secret desires. It was the smell of Haven.

He fell to the ground weeping, and soon sleep took him into her arms and he knew no more.

***************

He awoke the next morning to sunlight tickling his eyelids and a fox tickling his tails. Sitting up, he startled the creature and it darted off before he could greet it properly. Shaking his head ruefully, he stood up, somewhat stiffly, and looked around him.

The events of last night came flooding back to him in a jumbled mass and he sat down again, head spinning. Snatches of memories danced in his mind, intertwined with pieces of dreams, and fragments of song. He put his head into clawed hands and took a few deep breaths, trying to calm the torrent of thoughts in his mind.

He must be going crazy! Thinking he was hearing Haven singing in the woods at night! Believing her had heard her laughter once again. That was absurd! Dead people didn't come back to life! Except for Yusuke, but he was an exception. Bordering on the edge of hysteria, the silver tailed fox began to laugh; and laugh and laugh and laugh. His head was thrown back and he stared up at the dazzling sky above, his laughs rising high and far above him.

Yusuke had come back to life! So dead people could come back! He was living proof! Kurama's drained body fell easily back to the forest floor and he rolled around laughing uncontrollably, tails tangling with the dead leaves. He wrapped his hands around his shaking sides and lay there for many long minutes before the short form of Hiei burst out from the underbrush near him.

"Kurama!" he shouted and ran to his friend's side. Firmly grasping the kitsune's face he got right up in it and said in a loud firm voice, "Kurama!"

The kitsune finally decided to stop laughing, but his sides still heaved and his eyes still held traces of hysteria. "What's gotten into you?" Hiei snarled fiercely. "You're losing it Kurama! Ever since she-" and he placed specific emphasis on the word she, "-died you've been going insane! Get over it!" He shook the kitsune roughly. "She's gone you fool! MOVE ON!" Grunting disgustedly, the little fire demon let go of Kurama and turned away in disgust.

The shaken fox stared at Hiei's back for a long moment. He knew that the shorter demon didn't mean a word of what he had just said; it was just Hiei's way of dealing with grief and loss. He hardened his heart and put on a tough front. But beneath his outer shell, Kurama knew that there was a heart and right now that heart was bleeding almost as much as his own. And besides, he had seen the telltale glimmers at the corners of his friend's eyes before he had turned away. And he saw the hand the little demon rubbed surreptitiously across his eyes when he thought the fox wasn't looking.

The traces of a smirk playing around the corners of his mouth, Kurama stood up and went over to Hiei. "Come, Hiei. Let's go back and meet up with the others. I'm sorry."

Hiei looked up at him and glared. "Hn," he said and started back towards their camp.