Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven or Hell ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In this story Reikai is Heaven and Makai is Hell, Kurama is hikari no tenchi of Reikai and Hiei is a kuro no tenchi of Makai. When the two met they form a love so forbidden it could cost them their lives.

Title: Heaven or Hell

Author: Koritsune Dragonrider

Rating: PG (rating may change)

Disclaimers: Does it look like I own them?

Warnings: AU (I love AU's) Yaoi (I love yaois!) KH (Kurama and Hiei 4-ever!)

Chapter X

Mukuro watched Hiei as he talked to the patrol generals on the day's shifts. It wasn't a secret that she lusted after the Makai Prince, since love was forbidden, through if it was vise versa no one knew. But Mukuro noticed something strange was wrong with her betrothed. He seemed less bloodthirsty then he used to be and his wings started to have and unnatural gleam to them, not from the oily look it had for over four and a half hundred years but a lightly glow that couldn't exist in a demon. She was wondering what was wrong with Hiei.

She looked up when Hiei was finished and walked back into the palace to train with his sword. Mukuro followed him like always. It became her schedule to follow Hiei everywhere. She planned that if she stayed near Hiei he would warm up to her and maybe feel the same she feels but so far nothing works. She watched at Hiei looked at the long line of demons assembled to train with him, mostly likely none of them will survive ten seconds much less one. Yukina stayed on the opposite end of the room. She too had started acting strange, not in a way as Hiei. She seemed more cheerful and laughed at things they were evil when she and Hiei was alone. And that wasn't the least of the worries. The servants say at night they stay up and whisper about something that no one can catch. Something strange was happening and Mukuro wanted to know what it was.

"Hiei," she called in her sweetest tone, "will you come with me for a minute?"

Hiei looked at his sister and back at Mukuro. "Sorry," he said, "but I promised Yukina I would help her punish the new prisoner at the Makai volcano. I can't."

Mukuro was really mad now. Every time she asked Hiei to do something with her he would make an excuse! He had to patrol, he had to train he had to punish a prisoner, he even used his sister more then once as and excuse and Yukina didn't say anything but went along with it. They walked out the room and Mukuro tried to follow but Hiei signaled the guards stationed by the door to stop her. She scowled as she watched the two demon twins fly away toward the Makai volcano like Hiei said.

Hiei sighed as he felt the wind under his wings. That damn women wouldn't leave him alone! She has been following him around for the last fifty years! They were lucky that they were bound yet. Makai didn't believe in marriages so they bound people together. Saying that they were they're main man or woman. Adultery is very common among bound pairs. Nine out of ten have. But Hiei felt differently. He had finally found some one he likes for him, not his skills or position like most do, but for who he is. He kept thinking back to when he and Kurama first had their nightly meeting, when Kurama painted the picture of him. He still had that picture hidden in his closet; no one touched it except for him and Yukina. He kept replaying what Kurama told him when he saw the painting look nothing like him from what he saw in the painting the Makai artisans drew of him or what he saw in the mirror.

"Maybe because I've painted the real you!"

Kurama had been so excited to hear that Hiei liked the painting and even gave it to the demon angel. For some reason Hiei felt . . . happy with Kurama. Happiness was forbidden and unwanted. A Makai sin. For over two hundred years he felt obligated toward his sister and father now he cares for Yukina and feels obligated toward Yomi because it was what he was meant to do. Without Kurama he . . . complete. He didn't feel whole without Kurama around. He didn't know what to do.

Yukina looked over toward her brother and knew he wasn't paying attention to where he was flying. Well, when you know the skies as much as they did you don't need to look to know where you're flying, but Hiei seemed troubled about something. She knew something happened to Hiei when he met the angel Kurama and he hasn't been the same since. As a matter of fact neither did she. Her and Kurama became close friends and Youko showed her medicine plants that she never learned in Makai. With their help she saved more live, even if they did die in the end. But Hiei, he seemed less distant and more open to everyone, he even gave a fifty year penance to someone who had protected his sister from rapid youma. Normally he would have had their heart cut out of their chest and stuff it down the victim's throat still beating. He's less aggressive toward the soldiers he spar with and even left them alive, just severely maimed them and knocked them out for hours. Yukina wondered what was wrong with her brother, but she knew nothing was wrong with him. Something was right.

They reached the Makai volcano and sat at the edge watching the lava bubble and spit. Yukina looked over at her brother and tilted her head toward him.

"Daijubo ka," she asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I have a feeling that Mukuro's following me."

"That's not so bad," she laughed. "She's been following you for over a hundred years! It's nothing different."

"I think she will find out soon. I don't know what to do if she does."

"Let's hope she doesn't. We just have to be extra careful."

Hiei nodded and they watched the lava for a few more hours, they didn't say a word. Finally the sun fell and they flew back to the palace to have their supper. Like Mukuro, Yusuke and Keiko were curious about their friends' new behavior but didn't say anything of it. In fact they dismissed the signs and went along their normal work.

Hiei and Yukina waited for the time when they would meet their friends, Yukina playing with one of the Makai pets and Hiei sitting on the edge of the closet, looking at the picture Kurama gave him. Kurama had given him other pictures, some of the red haired angel and others of him, but his favorite was the first one Kurama had given him. It wasn't really the painting that made it his favorite; it was what Kurama said about the painting that did. That he had captured the real Hiei, kind, serene, calm, the real Hiei. That was what made it his favorite.

He jumped when Yukina tapped his should after playing with the Makai creature.

"It's time," she said and he nodded. They grabbed their cloaks and put them on to hide them in the shadow and flew out the window. Hiei felt that someone was following and looked over his shoulder, trying to spot anyone through wing beats but found no one. Thinking it was just his imagination he shrugged it off and followed his sister toward the Reikai border.

Hiei smiled when he saw Kurama and Youko there waiting for them in the clearing. Kurama ran up to Hiei and hugged the Makai demon, something the angels started doing a while ago. Hiei didn't mind, he liked it. He nodded a greeting to Youko as Yukina smiled at the two.

"Yukina," said Youko. "I found some new herbs you could use for those infections you were talking about. Do you wish to find them?"

"Yes," said Yukina and looked at her brother now sitting on the ground next to Kurama. "We'll be right back."

"Sure," said Kurama and looked at Hiei. "What do you want to do now?"

Hiei shrugs. "Don't know. We've done mostly everything."

Kurama sighed and laid on the ground, his wings a cushion against the hard ground. Hiei joined his friend, his leather wings a rough texture against his back. They laid on the ground for a while. Not saying anything and not really doing anything. Basically they were doing nothing.

Hiei closed his eyes, intending on getting a few minutes sleep when a laugh made him snap his eyes open and look over at his friend. Kurama had one hand poised up and seemed to be tracing something in thin air.

"Kurama, what are you doing?" asked Hiei and Kurama looked at him.

"Okay," he said and pointed at the sky, "See how many shapes you can make in the stars." He points to one and giggles. "That one looks like a dragon."

Hiei looked up to where Kurama was pointing and smiled. "Yeah," he said and pointed to the sky, interested at his friend's new game. "And that one looks like a fox."

"Yeah, it does. And that one looks like a flame of some sort."

"Looks like a forest fire to me," said Hiei and looked around for another star picture. "There. That one looks like a human. Don't know why I would see one of them."

"That one right there looks like a rose," said Kurama. "It's pretty."

"Not as pretty as you are," said Hiei before he could stop himself. Kurama looked over at his friend and slightly blushed.

"Really?" he asked and Hiei gave a slight nod.

"I've liked you since I've met you," said Hiei. "I know I'm a demon and can't feel love but I do and if you don't like me the same way then I'll leave and……"

"Hiei," said Kurama laughing. "You're more nervous then a Reikai kitten. What are you trying to say?"

"I love you," said Hiei looking at the redhead angel as he said those three words. Kurama looked at his friend in shock, not knowing what to say. Hiei loved him. A creature not capable of that emotion loved him! And the amazing this was, Kurama loved him back.

"Hiei," said Kurama coming out of his shock. Hiei steeled himself for the rejection but jumped when two strong arms embraced him and held him close. "I love you too."

Hiei looked at Kurama and gave a slight smile. Kurama smiled back and gently placed his hand on Hiei's cheek, in case the demon wanted to pull away, but Hiei didn't. he had felt Kurama's hand may times and it was really smooth but when Kurama placed it on his tanned skin it felt like velvet and was very soft, he never felt anything like it.

Kurama slowly caressed Hiei's face. He had tried to get Hiei to open up to him more and look where it led him. But as he touched Hiei's cheek he felt more love in him then he dreamed off. This was what he wanted! This was what he wished for all his life. He moved his hand from Hiei's cheek and caressed Hiei's wings. The red leathery wings fluttered for a second but didn't move. They had kept their eyes locked the whole time.

"I want to do something to you," said Hiei, "but I don't know what."

"You want to kiss me?" asked Kurama and Hiei nodded. Kurama placed his other hand behind Hiei's head and tilted it closer to him, making sure Hiei could still back away if he wants to, but Hiei didn't move unless Kurama directed him. Placing his lips on Hiei's Kurama gave him a chaste kiss and pulled away.

"Well?" he asked and Hiei grabbed his shoulders.

"More," he demanded and Kurama obeyed, placing his lips on Hiei's again and gave him a passionate kiss. It was sinful, it was bliss. It was so many things they couldn't describe it. They knew it was sinful to do what they were doing but they didn't care, they found something they didn't even know they were searching for. Each other.

They jerked apart when they heard a twig snap and looked around for the source. They couldn't see anything. Through Kurama wasn't a fighter he knew danger was near and stayed near Hiei who had his fighting instincts up and ready to start a brawl. He jerked his head again as another snap was heard and he heard a crackling sound.

"Kurama, down!" he yelled pushing Kurama to the ground. A lighting ball shot from some nearby bushes and struck Hiei's right wing. He roared as the lightning spread through his body and put him in shock but stayed on Kurama as cover.

"Hiei!" yelled Kurama and looked up to see Mukuro walk into view. "Who are you?"

"You're executioner," growled Mukuro and charges another lightning ball. Kurama shrieked and tried to shield Hiei as the latter did the same, closing their eyes. They heard an impact and a groan. Kurama looked up and gasped. His brother shielded them!

"Youko!" he yelled as Hiei looked on in shock. Yukina had stepped in front of Mukuro and was now blocking her line of fire. Youko smiled as blood trickled from his lips.

"Funny," he said. "I've always wanted to move on, just not this early."

"No, Youko," gasped Kurama and held his brother as Hiei tried to stop the bleeding of his friend. "You're going to be all right."

"Kurama," said Youko, "now is the time for you to be strong. You were always brave, now. Now you need to be."

"Youko," gasped Kurama trying not to cry in front of his brother and beloved. Youko turned his gaze to Hiei.

"I was wrong about you," he said. "You are good and I was beginning to like you. Well, I hope to see you on the other side."

"I hope so too, Youko," said Hiei and Youko closed his eyes. His body glowed a bright golden and was warm to the touch. Kurama placed the body down as the watched the glow shoot to the sky to cross over to Ningenkai. Kurama looked over at Mukuro with intense anger.

"You killed him," he growled.

"He was in the way," she said and the all jumped when they heard voices. She turned back to them. "I'll finish this later." And she flew off. Yukina looked back at her brother and saw that he wanted her to leave but she couldn't leave her twin, she knew what he was up too.

"Yukina, go" he pleaded and she nodded. Spreading her wings she sot in the air and followed Mukuro to the palace.

"You bitch," she yelled and slapped Mukuro on her good face. "You ruined everything! We could have ended this feud!"

"It was never meant to end!" yelled Mukuro. "And demons are not supposed to be friends with angels."

"You're wrong, Mukuro," growled Yukina and Mukuro left with an evil, hearty laugh.

Meanwhile, Kurama was begging Hiei to leave as the voices got closer.

"Please, Hiei," begged Kurama. "If they catch you I don't know what I'll do!"

"You'll do nothing," said Hiei. "Someone has to pay for this crime."

"But not you!" yelled Kurama and Hiei cupped the angel's chin.

"If it's to be anyone it's me, and no argument." He kissed Kurama again and rose as the angel guards flew in and grabbed him.

"You're under arrest," said the captain. "You're punishment is death for trespassing and the death of an angel. Take him away."

"No!" yelled Kurama but no one heard him as they dragged Hiei away without a struggle. "Hiei, I love you."

TBC

Sad? Good? Please respond!