Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven or Hell ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In this story Reikai is Heaven and Makai is Hell, Kurama is hikari no tenchi of Reikai and Hiei is a kuro no tenchi of Makai. When the two met they form a love so forbidden it could cost them their lives.

Title: Heaven or Hell

Author: Koritsune Dragonrider

Rating: PG (rating may change)

Disclaimers: Does it look like I own them?

Warnings: AU (I love AU's) Yaoi (I love yaois!) KH (Kurama and Hiei 4-ever!)

Chapter XI

Kurama lay on his bed crying as Shizuru and Kuwabara tried to calm him down. He had watched the guards take Hiei away and his only brother get killed din front of him in the same night! His friends just thought he was torn over the lose of Youko since all he was able to do was wail. Tears ran down his face in streams and covered his face, making his long red bangs stick to his face and making his face sticky. Shizuru held the angel as Kurama clutched her arm and cried in the crook of her elbow.

"Shush," she said. "It's okay, Kurama. It's okay."

"Yeah," said Kuwabara. "They're going to take care of the demon that kill Youko."

"No," croaked Kurama muffled by the fabric of Shizuru's shirt. The two angels looked at his friend like he was crazy.

"What do you mean," asked Shizuru. "That demon did kill Youko, right?"

Kurama shook his head as the door opened and Koenma and Botan entered, their wings ruffled with anger and shock, Botan trying her best to not cry but chokes and hiccups issued every minute or so.

"Kurama," said Koenma, "Youko sacrificed himself to save you. You must show him respect and not cry."

"Youko said it was all right to cry," said Kurama. "Where's Hiei?"

"The demon who caused this whole trouble," wailed Botan angrily. "In the dungeons where he belongs! And he'll stay there till his beheading!"

"No!" yelled Kurama almost choking on his own tears. He flung away from Shizuru and faced his parents. "Hiei didn't do it! I swear he didn't kill Youko."

"Then who?" asked Koenma. "No one else was in the clearing."

"I was, I was there!" Kurama was pleading with his father to spare Hiei's life, if Hiei died then so would he. Koenma looked at his son and shook his head.

"The demon put a spell on you," he said and Botan shriek.

"My poor son!" she shriek and hugged Kurama tight. "We shall get rid of the spell!"

"When the youkai's head rolls then the spell shall lift," said Koenma and walked out. Botan hugged Kurama one last time and followed the Reikai king.

"When is Hiei's execution?" asked Kurama to his friends.

"Tomorrow at dawn," said Kuwabara. "But you're not allowed to attend."

"Nani?!" yelled Kurama so loud the other two winced. "Why not?!"

"Koenma- daioh still thinks you're under a spell," said Shizuru, "and that you would save the demon."

"No!" yelled Kurama again. "I'm not under a spell!" He punched the wall and it cracked. His friends jumped and looked shocked at the angel. Kurama wasn't a violent person and it surprised them that he would be this mad over an enemy.

Kurama pulled back his hand and looked at it. The knuckles were bloody and some plaster stuck to skin. He clutched his fist again and a tear drop fell on his hand.

"I'm gonna save him," he said softly, but enough for his friends to hear.

"What," they yelled. "Why?"

"You're under his spell," said Kuwabara. "You don't know what you're thinking."

"I know exactly what I'm thinking," said Kurama. "And why do people think I'm under a spell? I'm not!"

"Then why do you want to save him," asked Shizuru.

"Because," whispered Kurama and turned to his friends. They look surprised at what they saw in his friend's face, pain, hurt, and anger. They never had seen that in their friends face. They knew Kurama had changed since his capture an hundred and fifty years ago but they never could figure out what. Kurama was always a playful person and since fifty years ago he became more playful but right after his capture he got out less and stayed inside more. It took them a lot of time to get him to come out of his room. And even then he still didn't react to anything for awhile. They finally got him to play, but still they saw that something deep down was hurting him. They couldn't figure out what.

Shizuru gasped when she saw something else in her friend's face or, mores specifically, his eyes. Guilt. Why would he feel guilty for something like this? It didn't make sense, to feel guilty for an enemy. They had been enemies since time began and now Kurama felt guilty toward one, why?

"Because," Kurama began again, "I love him."

The two looked stunned at their friend. Kurama could understand. He didn't want to fall in love with Hiei but he did, and now he was paying for it. He lost his brother and now he was going to lose his only love.

His head shot up when he heard a tapping on his window and for a split second he thought it was Hiei. Remember that he was now in the dungeons he looked up to find Yukina at his window, two other figures with her. Shizuru and Kuwabara shot up as Kurama flew to his window and let Yukina, Yusuke and Keiko in.

"Yukina," he cried and she hugged him. "I'm scared of losing him."

"It'll be okay," she said. "We'll get him out."

"Hai." Kurama turned toward his friends and introduced them. "This is Kuwabara and his elder sister, Shizuru. They don't believe me when I told them you were my friends."

"This is Yusuke and Keiko," said Yukina. "They are our friends in the Makai castle. They came to help."

"We figured something was up with Hiei," said Yusuke. "We just never figured out what."

"We're glad to find out it was you," said Keiko bowing low so her kimono sleeves touched the floor. Yusuke did the same.

"Guys, Hiei told you to stop that years ago," said Yukina and the two shot straight up. Being servants they were trained to be respectful to their superiors.

Kuwabara flew toward Yukina and started flirting with her.

"Hey, baby?" he said. "Been in Reikai long?"

"Baka!" yelled Shizuru and hit her brother.

"Itai! What was that for, sis!"

"That's not how you greet a lady!" yelled his sister.

"Let's plan how we're going to get Hiei out of here," said Kurama and they started to plan. A few minutes Kurama and a robed figure walked toward the dudgeons and toward the cell that held Hiei. Kurama faced the guard at the cell and nodded toward the door.

"Out," he said. "I want to speak to him alone."

The guard nodded and walked out. Kurama faced Hiei's cell, where the demonic angel was laying on the hard cot at the corner of the cell and a shackle around his leg. He seemed to try to relax on the cot but Kurama could tell he was having a hard time doing it.

"Hiei," whispered Kurama and Hiei's head shot up. Looking through the bars Hiei saw a very worried Kurama and a robed figure behind him.

"Kurama," gasped Hiei shooting of the bed and walked toward the angel, his angel. "Why are you here?"

"To set you free. You didn't kill Youko and Father doesn't believe me."

"Kurama, I have to. It's my duty."

"Screw duty! I don't want to lose you!"

"Who's he?" asked Hiei nodding toward the robed figure. The figure looked around to see if they were alone and took of the hood of the robe.

"Hello, brother," said Yukina. Hiei looked shocked at his sister.

"Yukina," he said. "What are you doing here?"

"Setting you free. Yusuke and Keiko are here as well."

"Tell them to leave! And you as well."

"Why, Hiei," asked Kurama. "I can't lose you!"

"Kurama, I have to do this. I don't want to leave you but I have too. Someone has to take the blame."

"But not you!"

"Kurama, we'll meet again. In Ningenkai. I promise."

"Hiei . . ."

Yukina looked up when she heard footsteps heading their way and put her hood back on.

"Someone's coming," she whispered and Kurama looked up to find the guard returning.

"Hiei, we'll get you out of here," said Kurama as Yukina pulled him away. Hiei looked on as his sister and love ran up the stairs and out of the dudgeons. Sighing he walked back to bed and laid down, his last thought of a beautiful red head angel of his.

****************

The next morning the entire city gathered to see the execution of the Makai Prince. As said Kurama wasn't permitted to join in the execution but he watched the crowds assemble through his window. He didn't see why they had to wear such bright colored clothing to such an event. It was like laughing at the dead. Banners flew and flower petals fell from windows on the bright sunny morning but Kurama could tell it was going to rain soon. Musicians played on their pipes or lutes and dancers danced to the tune, their wings beating in time to the music. Kurama would kill them all if he wasn't so worried. Now all he could do was watch and hope the plan worked.

He looked down and smiled when he saw his friends in the front line, waiting for Hiei to be brought out. To far so good. If the plan worked then they would get away and save Hiei.

No one took notice of three figures walking down the street, robe and obviously trying not to attract attention. They stayed near the shadows of an alley, and watched as the people assemble, waiting for the signal to save their friend.

A horn sounded and everyone looked up to see Koenma walk up on the platform where the execution was going to be held.

"My people," he began, "last night we've caught an unsuspecting surprise. We've caught the Makai Prince seducing our dear Prince." Gasps rang out around the crowd and six people tried to keep from attacking. "Peace, good people, we've caught him. Unfortunately with a loss. Angel Youko died protecting Prince Kurama from the blasphemous act. He is being sentenced this very day!" Cheers erupted the streets and Kurama up above tried to break open his window, but it was locked. He looked around to find something to pry it open and all he found a small knife. He wedges it between the panes and wiggled it a bit.

"And now!" cried Koenma pointing at the palace entrance. "The prisoner!"

Shouts and boos were heard as Hiei was dragged through the doors and toward the platform. He didn't fight, he didn't growl. He allowed himself to be carried to where he would die.

"Die!" yelled someone and others took it up, filling the city in a chant. Hundreds of thousands of voice, yelling the same word repeatedly as the King of Reikai raised his sword to behead the demon.

"Die! Die! Die! DIE! DIE!"

"NO!" yelled a voice over the others and Kurama pushed Koenma to the ground, knocking the sword from his hands and it skittered across the dais. Grabbing Hiei, Kurama flew in the sky. At the red head angel's outburst Yukina, Yusuke, and Keiko threw off their cloaks and followed their friend, Shizuru and Kuwabara following.

"Stop him!" yelled Koenma and two dozen angels flew after them.

"Kurama, put me down!" yelled Hiei. "Why are you doing this?"

"I don't want to lose you," yelled Kurama, the wind whistling in his ears. "I lost my brother; I can bear to lose you too."

Hiei looked stunned at the angel, his angel. He never heard Kurama do something like this and now he was risking his position and life to save him. Hiei was never more proud of Kurama then right then.

Yukina and the others followed Kurama as they heard a scream from behind them. Looking over their wing beats they saw the guards who have been pursuing them turn around and head back for the palace.

"What are they doing," asked Shizuru.

"We haven't even cleared the border yet," said Keiko.

"Kuwabara, Shizuru, check it out, please," said Kurama, "Yukina, Yusuke, go with them. Carefully."

The four nodded and flew back toward Reikai. They landed near the edge of the city and looked inside to find angels and demons fighting each other, Yomi and Koenma facing each other head on. Yukina gasped as she watched her father fight the Reikai king before finally ordering a retreat.

"I'll be back, Koenma!" yelled Yomi. "I'll be back to avenge my son!"

"I'll be waiting!" yelled back Koenma and the four flew back to Kurama, Hiei and Keiko.

"What's happening," asked Kurama holding a sleeping Hiei. The dark angel woke when his friends landed on the ground and Yukina collapsed where she landed, crying in floods. Releasing Kurama's hold on him, he ran to his sister and held her. Kurama joined them.

"Yukina, what's wrong?" asked Kurama.

"Otousan," she gasped. "War." And she started crying again.

"What?" asked Hiei looking at the others.

"Yomi, King of the Makai, pledged war with Koenma, King of Reikai," said Shizuru. "On account of the capture of his son."

"We have to stop them," yelled Kurama. "Tell Yomi that Hiei's going back."

"No," said Hiei still holding Yukina. "We know our father. He won't stop till the Reikai's been destroyed."

"Then what can we do," asked Kuwabara but no one could give an answer.

TBC

To those asking, yes, unfortunately, Youko is dead, but not permanently. Remember what they said in the first few chapters. He gets reborn again in Ningenkai, or in his case, Makai. Sorry, but that's they way the story works. Feel free to flame me!