Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ Bubble Bouncer ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
She cried for him...
Not because of him...
And not over him...
But for him.
He just couldn't understand it...
Why?
He'd like very much to just say it was out of pity. But what really got to him was that there was no pity to be found in her eyes. Not in her eyes or her mind. Hiei kept replaying the night over and over in his head, trying but failing to understand the girl and her strange demeanor. It had been two days since it happened and he still couldn't get her out of his head... He had told Kurama about what happened that night, leaving out a few, more personal things, of course.
Kurama was puzzled as well, but informed Genkai so she could start training Kaya mentally as well as physically, something he said should have been done since the beginning. He had felt strange the night they slept under the tree. He wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad feeling ...but he found himself craving more of it.
Hiei was currently relaxing in a tall oak tree on temple grounds, thinking as he often did when alone. 'Wretched woman should learn to control her own powers. Still, I find it odd she's even in my thoughts at all.' Shaking his head, he jumped down from the tree. He walked back to the temple, which was about 15 feet away, to check up on Yukina, like he did daily. Walking inside, he found Kuwabara holding her hand, like HE did daily. “Oh, hello Hiei-sama. Are you hungry? I was just about to start diner.” She said after Hiei threw Kuwabara off, smiling warmly up at her unknown brother.
His lips pulled up into a slight, barely there smile as he shook his head. “No, thank you Yukina.” He said, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Oh, alright then. If you're looking for Kaya and Genkai-sama, their out training in the woods. I'm afraid I don't know where Yusuke and Kurama are.” She said, still smiling. Hiei nodded his thanks and took off into the woods without another word. After he “sniffed out” Genkai and Kaya, he found a nice tree to watch from. So he perched himself on a branch and did just that.
“Close your eyes again and picture all your energy in a tight ball. Do you see it?” Genkai said, holding her hands behind her back like she often did. Kaya sighed, doing as told until she saw a turquoise ball in her mind. “I see it! Whoa...” She mumbled, slightly amazed. “Focus! Don't lose it.” Genkai scowled. When Kaya nodded, she continued. “Alright. Now focus the energy from the ball into your hands. Concentrate.”
Kaya stood there for no more than a minute before her hands started to glow. Her left one, a pale green and her right one, a sky blue. Genkai was surprised at how quickly she was learning, despite the fact that she had the attention span of a cockroach. She was also surprised by the amount of energy her hands put out. When she trained Yusuke, it was much different. When he put that much energy into his spirit gun the first time, he was exhausted. But Kaya didn't even look tired. “Tell me Kaya, how do you feel?” She asked. Kaya simply shrugged, her eyes still closed. “I feel like blah. Not as good as I did this morning, but not bad.” She answered in a bored tone, refusing to open her eyes.
“Open your eyes Kaya.” Genkai ordered. Unsure, Kaya cracked open one eye and looked down at her hands. As soon as she saw her hand engulfed in a colorful light, she screamed and started staking her hands wildly like she had been burned. Dancing around and shaking her arms about, Kaya let out a steady stream of curses. “What the fuck?! MY HANDS WERE ON FIRE! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO YOU OLD HAG?!” She screamed, making the birds scatter from the trees.
“That was your spirit energy twit! We talked about this! Now stop jumping around and let's get back to training!” Genkai yelled, rubbing the bridge of her nose. Even Hiei couldn't help but smirk watching Kaya's antics. She was an odd one, that was for sure.
He watched them train for a few hours, having nothing better to do. At least that's what he told himself. Deep down, he knew he was just a little curious and wanted to watch Kaya. And that's exactly what he did. He watched her. He watched how her nose wrinkled when she concentrated, and when she was completely clueless after Genkai handed her a sword.
The thing he liked to watch most was her hair though. The red chunks getting lost in the sea of black as the wind picked up and blew her hair about. The layered hair coming down to about mid-back and the side bangs falling into her face every so often. As she brushed it behind her ear, he noticed her fingers touch a small metal bar she had pierced through the cartilage of her right ear. (Called an industrial)
Hiei found himself wondering just how many piercings she had. Two on the lower left side of her lip right next to each other, the right side of her nose, not to mention there must've been at least 4 in her ears. All together he counted around 12, 9 being in her ears. 'What am I thinking? Was I just counting the hole in her head?! Why does this weak girl keep popping into my head like this?' He wondered, disgusted at the fact that he wasn't disgusted. Shaking his head, he sighed and continued to watch her.
She was sweating and panting, making her tight black shirt stick to the skin of her chest as it rose up and down. Hiei caught himself leaning closer, be it only an inch, but he was pissed none the less.
'What the hell am I doing?!' He thought bitterly, growling at himself in anger of his earlier actions. 'Damned girl. She's pathetic! Isn't even worth thinking about.' He thought, folding his arms and leaning back in his tree. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to clear his head. He knew it was mating session causing him to act so unlike himself, what he didn't know was why he actually wanted to be near her. Or why he wasn't disgusted by that little fact.
“What the fuck is that?!” He heard Kaya yell a few minutes later. He wasn't sensing anything dangerous... But his eyes still scanned their surroundings carefully. When he didn't see anything, he looked down at Kaya.
She was pointing up at the sky, a confused look on her face...But there was nothing there. “What are you talking about? I sense nothing. I see nothing. Stop playing around and lets ge-” Genkai started only to be cut off by Kaya's harsh voice. “Don't tell me you can't see it! For fucks sake lady! THERES A FRICKIN' DEMON IN THE SKY!”
At her words Hiei stood up, jumping down to the ground in front of Genkai and Kaya.
“Hiei, you see it right?” She asked him, walking up to him and reaching out a hand to touch his shoulder. Right before her hand made contact with him however, a booming voice started to speak.
“Finally I found you! My betrothed, you will not escape me again!” And with that, two metal rods came crashing down, one aimed for Hiei and the other for Genkai. Hiei managed to dodge one, moving with quickness only he possessed. But Genkai was not so lucky.
The second rod had cut a deep gash into her leg when she tried jumping away. Hell, they were almost too fast for Hiei! As soon as the rods hit the ground, millions of wires shot out, moving around on the ground like snakes.
“Where is that voice coming from?” Genkai wondered, clutching her leg on the ground. It was apparent she was hurt badly. Kaya gaped at her for a moment before it clicked.
'They can't see him. Then...why can I? Dammit, it doesn't matter. I gotta help.' She thought staring up at the large blue ball currently hovering in the sky, inside stood a tall man. She couldn't really see him, just his outline.
She noticed a single wire heading for Hiei's neck. Gasping she tried grabbing the wire, but it tightened and cut her hand, coating itself in her blood.
Hiei saw Kaya trying to grab something near his neck, but before he could push her away, it cut her hand and became visible with her blood. He knew what he had to do...
Pulling out his sword, he cut the wire and watched Kaya's face as she snarled at its retracting form. “Where is it coming from Kaya? Can you tell?” He asked, readying himself to attack.
She looked at him shocked for a moment before shaking it off and looking up at where the demon was. “He's still up there. But the wires came out of those rods. They're everywhere, just kind of flopping around on the ground.” She said, pointing at one of the wires closest to her.
“We see the rods Kaya, but no wires. Tell me, what does this Demon look like?” Genkai asked through gritted teeth.
“I can't really see him. I can see the outline of a pretty tall fucker inside a blue ball though.” Kaya said, throwing a rock as hard as she could at the ball and watching it bounce off.
“It just bounced right off...The ball is about 5 feet above my head.” She mumbled, raising an eyebrow. “Is that like one of those force field thing-os's?” She said. All of a sudden something caught her eye.
A single wire, connecting the two rods to the person inside the ball. Smirking she ran over to Hiei, who was crouched down in a fighting stance. Jumping on his back, she wrapped her legs tightly around his mid-section and pointed over his shoulder at the wire. “Hiei, go for that one!” She said. When he didn't move she elbowed him in the back of his neck. “Baka, are you forgetting that I can't see the wire?!” He snarled.
“Well that's kinda why I jumped on your back, dumb shit! Just go, I'll show you witch one to cut.” She mumbled, Hiei and herself both rolling their eyes at each other. He jumped into the air, Kaya telling him where to go.
She reached a hand out to grab the wire, knowing it would cut her again. She smirked and watched her blood cover it, making it visible to Hiei, who slashed it in half. They landed on the ground, Kaya jumping off his back and watching the rods retract back into the ball.
“They're going back into the ball.” She mumbled, more to herself then to Hiei.
“Hey! Yeah, you! Get your ass out of that hamster ball and come down here so we can kick your ass!” She screamed up at him. But he ignored her and flew away, much to her confusion.
“What the fuck was that?! He barely fought back, he DIDN'T fight back, and then he just up and leaves!” She fumed.
“I don't think he was here to fight, Kaya. The only thing he did was throw those rods at us..” Genkai pondered.
“Ah, fuck it. He wants me, he'll be back. Right now…I'm hungry. Let's eat!” Kaya said, as if the whole thing never happened.
“Are you going to be alright Granny?” She asked, helping Genkai to her feet. “I won't die that easy child.” The old woman replied, pushing Kaya away and using her sword to help herself walk.
As she started to walk back to the temple, Kaya turned towards Hiei, who was staring off in the direction the floating fucker took off in. “You coming Hiei? You gotta be hungry…I mean, I've never seen you eat anything.” She asked, her voice more gentle than normal, much too both their surprise.
“Hn.” Was all she got from him, but it did bring a smile to her face when he started walking off towards the temple. By this time, Genkai was way ahead of them, even with a bum leg. There really was no keeping that woman down…
Laughing lightly, she ran to catch up to Hiei, who was walking with his hands in his pockets looking straight ahead. They walked side by side the entire way back to the temple, neither one saying a word. But they found they both liked it that way.
Once they got back to the temple, they found Yukina leaning over Genkai's leg, her hands outstretched with a pale blue light emitting from them. And just like that, Genkai could walk again. Just like that, there was no more blood, and the look of pain vanished off her face. Deciding she'd had enough “magic” for the day, Kaya ignored it and went about fixing herself a plate of food in the kitchen.
Meanwhile in the living room, Genkai was informing the rest of the group of the days ending. “Odd. Metal rods? And you're sure you couldn't see them?” Kurama asked, rubbing his chin lightly.
“Aye, only Kaya could. She and Hiei make a rather good team, really. Surprising since they can't seem to get along any other time.” Genkai said, addressing that last part towards Hiei himself and not Kurama.
He just ignored her and continued to stare blankly out the window….that is until Kaya came up with a plate of food in her hands.
He looked up at her, trying to hide his slight surprise under his usual “blank” mask. “Here, like I said before, I never see you eat. Just wanted some proof that you actually do it.” She said, handing him the plate and laughing slightly before sitting down at a near-by table to eat her own.
After filling in the rest of the group on every last friggin' detail, Kaya decided to go to bed. She wasn't tired at all, but this was boring the crap out of her.
“G'night Y'all. See you in thee mornin'.” She laughed, waving goodbye to them all as she walked up the stairs. Once in her room she let out a huge sign and hoped in the shower. She washed her hair and all that other jazz before drying herself and throwing on some PJ's. “Gah, stupid fucking eyeliner!” She whined as she picked and wiped at her eyes. “Shit never comes off in the shower...”
Sighing again, she noticed how shaky her legs were and deiced she was now tired as hell. For some odd reason, she wasn't tired at all when she was downstairs, bored out of her freaking mind…But now, once she gets to her room she's exhausted. Dismissing it as just another one of the weird things going on around this place, she yawned and hopped under the covers. And in less than 3 minutes she was out like a light…
The Next Morning…
“KAYA!!!!!!! GET YOUR BUTT UP!!!” And with that, the person screaming lunged at the bed, the extra weight making Kaya's small body bounce about a foot into the air. “Gah!!!” Was all that escaped her lips as she fell off the bed and onto the cold hard floor beneath it. Once she regained her composer and let everything sink into her brain, she shot up onto her feet and glared around the room, looking for the dead man who woke her up.
“YUSUKE!!! I KNOW IT WAS YOU ASSHOLE!! COME OUT HERE!!” She screamed down the hall after finding no one in her room. She heard a yelp and then frantic footsteps running towards the door. Deciding she was still too tried to deal with his immaturities, she settled for getting him back later and walked down stairs to go eat breakfast.
Once in the kitchen she noted how everyone seemed to stop what they were doing and smile at her, except for Hiei, of course. “Creepy.” She mumbled before reaching into the cabinet and pulling out a box of cereal.
“I see you had a rather…interesting wake up call.” Kurama stated, hiding his chuckle behind his hand. “Yeah, yuck it up red. You just wait, you'll get yours.” She said, smiling up at Kurama, who looked confused. She just ignored him, she ignored everything in fact, and went about eating her breakfast.
Once she was done, however, she paid attention to what was being said around her. For about a minute. “So what are we doing today? Training? Cause that's kind of getting fun now that I've been at it for a few days..” She mumbled, lightly touching her chin with her index finger in thought.
“No, I'm afraid my leg isn't fully healed yet . Yukina did her best, but it was a deep wound. We will resume our training in a few days, until then I don't care what you do.” Genkai said, taking a sip from her morning tea. Kaya was slightly disappointed but brushed it off and walked back up to her room to get dressed.
“Mother fucker.” She whispered under her breath as she pulled her shirt over her head. She picked out a pair of tight jeans she had written the lyrics of her favorite song on and two shirts. A tight black, long sleeved shirt with slashes cut all through it, which she wore under a white tank top.
“The one time I actually want to go out and train with the old woman, she goes and gets her leg impaled...” Kaya mumbled. Suddenly a thought came to mind… `I wonder what that bubble bouncer wanted anyway…' She hadn't given the whole thing that much thought, though she knew she should have. Her brain should be racing right now with everything that's been happening to her lately…but it just wasn't.
This whole thing felt almost… normal to her. Like she was used to things like this happening. Maybe she was finally beginning to accept it all..? `I think it's clear by now that these people know what they're talking about. They've all obviously done this kind of thing a lot in their lives…But am I ready to? I mean, that was what he said right? That I was supposed to be like one of them now? Until he found out what I was…where I came from. Then he could send me back there. But I don't know if I want that…for all I know, he could be sending me to that Demon World they always talk about...'
She sighed, sitting down on her bed. Now, any normal person would begin to feel depressed after thinking such things, but Kaya wasn't like a normal person. Instead of feeling sad over things, she felt anger. She was an angry person, simple as that. Deciding she needed to hit something, she grabbed a grey bag off her dresser and ran outside to the gym behind the temple. It was in the building she saw out her window the first day she was here, and she just loved the punching bag.
With Kurama and Hiei:
“You don't have any idea who this demon was?” Kurama asked the angry little demon currently sitting on the window sill. “I couldn't see him.” Came his mumbled reply. Hiei really didn't feel like being drilled today…or any day really. But sitting here answering stupid questions was the last thing he felt like doing.
Not that there was really anything better to do…
He could always go spy on Kaya again...
`Wait, WHAT!?!' He was about to mentally kick his own ass, but another one of Kurama's questions brought him out of it. “But Kaya could see him. And from what I understand, this demon believes Kaya is his betrothed…Perhaps he came in search of…Well with mating season and all...” Kurama let his sentence trail off, hiding his smirk once he felt Hiei's energy flair.
Without another word, Hiei disappeared before Kurama's eyes, leaving him alone in the kitchen to chuckle at his friend's behavior. “Oh Hiei, you never fail to amuse me..” He laughed.
Back with Kaya:
BAM!
POW!
SMACK!
Punch, punch, kick, kick. Over and over again she hit the bag with everything she had, until she felt her wrists burn. In her rush to take out her anger, she had forgotten to tape them, thus the burning pain in her joints.
She wasn't about to stop though, she needed this. She always let her anger bottle up inside of her, and every once in a while it'd just over flow. It never took very much to piss her off, it seemed the little things angered her more in fact.
Life's little twists, the unexpected.
She learned at a young age getting sad and crying over things never helped. It normally just made things worse, or at least for her it did. So instead of feeling the sadness life brought, she managed to turn it into anger. Her life wasn't exactly picture perfect either, which meant a lot of sadness. This meant a lot more anger.
She was always very good at controlling her emotions. A little too good. For a few years she thought everyone could turn their emotions around like she could, she thought that it was norm. She didn't think there was anything off about it…
Anger just seemed to suit her. It was her favorite emotion for some odd reason. It's not that she liked feeling this much anger towards everything, it's just…she liked it a lot better than being depressed over something. At least with anger, she could spend a few hours with a punching bag and get it over with. But with sadness, it just didn't go away.
“Emotions are dumb and should be hated.” She mumbled, pulling the bag back into place after a particularly hard shot knocked it back a little.
“I'm beginning to think emotions may be the key to your power.”
Kaya spun around so fast she almost fell over…almost. “Kurama! Dude, you nearly gave me a heart attack. Sneaking up on people will get you into some deep shit ya know!” She panted, her hand grasping her chest.
Kurama just chuckled and shook his head.
“What'd you mean by that anyways?” She asked, sitting down against the wall. That punching bag took more out of her then she thought.
“When you touched Hiei the other night, you were angry correct?” He explained. “How did…” She cut herself off, decided it was stupid to ask. When she nodded, he continued.
“When he was in your mind, he saw what happened your fist day of school. After you touched that boy, your power when crazy.”
Kaya sighed, running a hand though her hair. “I was hoping that was just a dream. After that day, no one ever saw those boys again…” She whispered, closing her eyes for a second.
“Your power level is based on emotions. The more emotional you get, the stronger you are. When Koenma had you do those tests, you were emotional so only your strength showed.” He said, noting the way she seemed indifferent after hearing this.
“…So when I get pissed, I turn into the hulk…?” She asked, blinking a little. Kurama laughed a little and shook his head once more. “I suppose if you want to think of it like that.”
“Holy hell. That's kinda messed up.” She laughed. She seemed like the news didn't affect her at all, and it really didn't. The fact that it didn't, did though…
“I guess I should be feeling some kinda of sadness, or happiness now, huh? Thats the weird thing...I don't. All my life, I've had to keep control of my emotions, because it seemed every time I let them show something bad happened to me or someone I loved. Kinda makes sense now.” She murmured, getting up from her spot on the floor and walking over to the punching bad.
Before she started to punch the hell out of it however, she decided it best to tape up her hands this time. “May I ask you a question?” Kurama asked, moving to lean against the wall behind her.
“Shoot.” Was her reply.
“Why do you think you opened up to Hiei? I don't think it was simply because he made you mad, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was another emotion there to cause the visions.”
Kaya ripped the tape in half, curtly and violently at this. “I dunno. Might've been. Who knows?” She said, not really seeming to care. Kurama would have thought his question to make her angry, he sighed when it didn't. “Your going to need to learn how to master your emotions, Kaya. Not just mask them like you've been doing. Because they are going to bottle up, and overflow. It could be extremely hazardous to everyone around you if you let that happen.” He said, warning her.
“Gotcha red.” With that, she begin punching the bag again, cutting him off from speaking to her anymore. Frankly, she didn't care right now. Right now, she was doing what he advised. Maintaining her anger.
'I don't think he realizes over my life, I've had to find more then one outlet for my emotions. I guess I always new emotions sucked.' She thought with a smirk, continuing to whale on the punching bag