Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ Theres something in my head.. ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

After Kurama had gone to her with his thoughts about her powers, Kaya had seemed to distance herself from everyone else. At least for the rest of the day, witch wasn't abnormal for her so no one worried too much over it. She was just the kind of person that liked their alone time, Yusuke explained to the others. She was always that way, but this time he knew it was different somehow. They all knew she wasn't taking everything as well as she had said.
 
Kaya had been training for a week now, and Yusuke was beginning to notice her power growing. He informed Genkai of how quickly Kaya's power was increasing compared to before, only to have the old women make a comment about how much easier Kaya was to train then he was.
 
"Can't rush perfection, old women." Yusuke gloated, smirking as he ran his hand mockingly through his hair.
 
Genkai simply scoffed and continued sipping her tea.
 
"I just can't believe its only been a week since all this happened." He murmured aloud, to which Genkai nodded in agreement. "Aye, the girl continues to amaze me everyday. With my leg being completely healed now, we should be getting back to training tomorrow. Yusuke, you are welcome to come and watch if you'd like."
 
"Thanks granny, I think I might." He chuckled.
 
"May I come along also? I have a hunch I'd like to explore a little more." Kurama asked, walking into the room. Genkai nodded and put out the cigarette she was smoking. "Fine."
 
"What do you mean by that, Kurama?" Yusuke asked, curious as to what the red head might be thinking.
 
"I believe her powers relate to her emotions. Observing her train with Genkai should prove, or disprove my theory." The boy in question explained.
 
"I guess that makes a lot of sense.." Yusuke mumbled, getting lost in his thoughts. "Kaya always seemed ...emotionally...distant." He stopped, unable to think of a word to describe his friend. Emotionally disturbed wasn't right, emotionally challenged wasn't right either...She was emotionally distant, came closest to him. She wasn't unstable with her emotions, she wasn't hiding them either. Some times it seemed like she just didn't have any, but that was wrong too. Yusuke just couldn't explain it.
 
"You mean like Hiei?" Kuwabara, who had entered the room a short time ago, asked.
 
"No, I mean, she does HAVE emotions, she's just extremely good at hiding them or faking them. She's normal until something pisses her off, then she just goes into robot mode. I guess, in a way, their similar..." Yusuke trailed off.
 
"Perhaps that is why her powers chose to revile themselves to Hiei. That night, they saw each others entire lives, so there seems to be a feeling of mutual respect." Kurama pondered.
 
"At least their not at each others throats anymore. The first few days, whew, I thought they'd end up killing each other." Yusuke said with a slight chuckle.
 
"They are both rather thick headed, aren't they? I suppose, for a while at least, we won't have to worry about them butting heads. If I know anything about Hiei, this sort of peace will not last very long."
--
 
Kaya was laying on her bed, reading one of her favorite underground comic books, wishing for something better to do with her day. She didn't really know what else she could do in this place, as far as she could tell there wasn't anything to do but train. She didn't want to go see what her new "friends" were up to, since all they ever talked about were things she didn't want to hear. She wasn't really sure if they were her friends or not, but she was living with them so she decided to make the best of it. She didn't dislike any of them, in fact she kind of liked them, even Hiei...
 
Sighing, she looked down at her hands and snarled. Her knuckles were still scabbed up and bruised, a few of them swollen. It didn't really bother her so much as the fact that she hadn't even thought before she dumped out her frustration. She was in such a rush to beat the crap out of something, and she didn't really know why. At the time, she felt she would end up hurting someone. Thats how angry she was. But there was nothing there to make her angry except her own musings. For anyone else, that wouldn't be enough to get them as pissed off as she was.
 
She knew that what Kurama had said to her was right on the money. She liked to think of it as there being a little bottle inside her mind. And every time she got mad, it'd fill up more and more. She figured the other day was when it got full and overflowed. Thinking back, she could recall each and every time it had overflowed throughout her life, and it made sense to her. She knew this was extremely crazy, but she was also beginning to question her own sanity.
 
Sighing again, she rolled over onto her stomach from her current position on her back. "I'd say I was crazy if it didn't make so much sense.." She mumbled, closing her eyes for a moment before opening them to stare at the ceiling.
 
Hikira...
 
Wake up Hikira....
 
Kaya was startled out of her thoughts by a surreal sounding voice in her head. It sounded almost angelic. It reminded her of a movie, when the main character is talking to god or a dead person. She stopped what she was doing instantly and sat upright. Normally when voices in her head start talking, she doesn't panic, thats normal for her. But this was different...
 
"Wha...What?" She said aloud, not being able to reply in her mind like she normally did when she had conversations with herself. This voice though, it wasn't the usual one that spoke to her. It was a mans voice.
 
It's time to wake up Hikira. It's been long enough..
 
"I'm not Hikira..."
 
You will be soon enough, my dear.
 
"Who are you? What are you talking about?" She was starting to panic. This wasn't the right voice in her head, she had come to think of that one as normal. This one however, was scaring her, though she didn't know why.
 
I am Hideyoshi. Come Hikira, my betrothed. Awaken!
 
"I am not Hikira! I'm KAYA!" She screamed aloud, clutching her hands over her ears as if it would block everything out. She stood up off the bed she was sitting on and instantly fell to her knees, closing her eyes as tightly as she could.
 
Trying her hardest to concentrate, she focused on blocking the voice out. Trying to put up a wall in her mind, anything to stop this man's voice.
 
AWAKEN MY LOVE! COME BACK TO ME HIKIRA!
 
The voice was screaming now, much to Kaya's dismay. It was so loud, she felt her ears would begin to bleed soon if she didn't stop it. She didn't know what the hell was going on, she didn't know how to stop it or if she even could. The only thing she could think to do at the time was scream back.
 
"MY NAME IS KAYA, YOU ASS! KAYA, NOT HIKIRA!" She screamed as loud as she could, flailing her head about. Anything to shut him up... She felt the back of her eyes start to sting, and she knew she was crying. She didn't know if she was crying out of fear, or panic, she couldn't tell at this point. She could actually feel everything start to go haywire on her as she fought for control of her mind.
 
But suddenly, just like that, the voice stopped screaming. He stopped talking, and it was like he was never there. She waited a few more seconds before moving in the slightest.
 
"It's gone...?" She whispered to herself, unsure of what had just happened. "Oh god, I really am crazy..." She mumbled, shaking her had back and forth. She let a few more seconds pass by before she tried standing up again. She made it to her feet, but not without noticing that her entire body was shaking badly, it looked more like she was having a seizure.
 
She took this time to close her eyes and think for a minute. She didn't know what she was feeling, there were just too many things going on in her head at once. She felt emotions, too many emotions. Anger, confusion, sadness, guilt, but the strongest one was fear. It made no sense to her, she didn't feel scared, but her body was acting like it was. Her emotions didn't match what her body was feeling, it was almost like they were someone else's emotions taking over her body, while her emotions were stuck in her head.
 
Walking on shaky legs, she headed towards her bedroom door and out into the hallway. She needed to know what the hell was going on with her, and the people downstairs would know a lot more about this kind of thing then her. She got to the stairs, and had to hold on to the railing more then once to keep herself from falling over. She was shaking so bad, she was beginning to think that she was having a seizure.
 
She made it to the bottom of the stairs and began to look around for someone. She heard voices coming from the living room so she headed that way, stumbling as she went. She didn't know if she was about to pass out or not, she didn't feel like it but her body seemed like it would just give out any minute now. "Um...guys?" She said from the doorway, seeing Yusuke and Genkai talking.
 
"Kaya... You look sick! Are you alright?" Yusuke asked, rushing to her side. She could tell he was really worried about her as he helped her walk over to the sofa so she could lay down. She smiled a little at this, he was so much like her big brother it brought back memories of her real brother.
 
"Uh...I don't know if I'm alright or not. I don't know what the hell is going on." She said with a little chuckle. She didn't know how to explain this to them, half of her felt they'd think she was crazy but the other half knew this wasn't anything out of the ordinary for any of them.
 
"What do you mean child?" Genkai asked from her seat across from Kaya.
 
"Um.. Well, there are voices in my head." She stated simply. When no one said anything and they looked at her like they were waiting for the rest, she groaned.
 
"Well, I have this voice in my head that I named 'Sunny.' She's been there for as long as I can remember, and I say "she" because it's a girls voice. My mother heard voices too, so I figured, "Oh, no big deal. I'm just crazy" and went on with my life." She paused, taking a deep breath of air.
 
"But up in my room, another voice spoke to me. I've never had anyone else in my head except Sunny, so I was a little freaked out when a guy's voice started talking to me. No, he wasn't just talking. He was screaming." She muttered, feeling her limbs start to tingle a little bit, like they were falling asleep.
 
"What did his man say to you?" Genkai asked, clearly interested.
 
"Oh... Well, he kept calling me Hikira. When I told him I wasn't Hikira, he told me that I would be soon. Yeah, kinda freaky. But he kept saying stuff like "Awaken my love!" Blah blah blah. Then he just started screaming bloody murder in my head, and I couldn't shut him up. With Sunny, I can normally shut her up if I focus long enough. But this guy..." She trailed off, shivering slightly. She didn't know what was going on with her. Her body was acting as freaked out as she should be, but her mind was calm. Way too calm for what had just happened.
 
"Did he say what his name was?" Yusuke asked.
 
"Hideyoshi. The first day you guys ...um... found me, I had a vision I guess, of a little girl named Hikira with a demon she called Hideyoshi. I thought nothing of it, wouldn't be the first time weird shit like that has happened to me, but now this guy thinks I'm that little girl...? " Kaya said, holding her head. It was starting to hurt very badly now that she was sitting down.
 
"While he was in my mind, I felt everything going haywire. And after he had left, my body was reacting like I had just been in a car wreck. My body doesn't seem to match what I'm feeling, I don't even know what I'm feeling anymore. It's like I have someone else's emotions, because right now my body is acting like I'm scared when I am clearly not." She explained as good as she could with her increasingly painful headache. She always got headaches after talking with Sunny, but this one seemed to be so much worse.
 
She had decided to name the little voice in her head only recently, after years of putting up with it though she didn't know why she had picked "Sunny" as the name.
 
"Your shaking very badly, Kaya. Do you feel as though you'll pass out?" Genkai asked, kneeling down next to the couch she was on to put a hand on her forehead.
 
"I don't know. I feel fine, but its getting harder and harder to move my limbs." She said in calm tone. It was actually freaking her out a little, how calm she was now. She was in a panic up in her room, though now she was alarmingly clam. She knew she shouldn't be calm right now, and she knew that fact freaked her out, but she wasn't freaking out... which freaked her out.
 
"Yusuke, go get Kurama and Yukina." Genkai ordered. He made a face like he didn't want to leave but didn't say anything and did as he was told to.
 
"Kaya, listen to me. Your body is completely drained right now, so I need you to stop fighting and rest for awhile. When was the last time you slept?" Genkai said slowly, beginning to see what was going on.
 
"I don't know. I can't remember. I can't even remember coming down the stairs anymore." Kaya mumbled, a sleepy tone to her voice. Hearing Genkai talking like that, it made her want to panic slightly.
 
"That demon, when he was in your mind he stole some of your spirit energy, your life energy. Listen to me, you need to sleep now alright? If you don't rest and regain your energy, you will die. I'll explain some more when you wake up, but right now you need rest." The older woman said, standing up from her crouched down position in front of Kaya.
 
Kurama, Yusuke, and Yukina all came walking into the room and Genkai approached them. They were too far away from Kaya for her to hear what they were saying, or maybe her hearing was failing. She couldn't really tell anymore. Her body felt like a useless lump, while her mind was beginning to get hazy. She was a bit scared with what Genkai had just told her, but her eyes just wouldn't seem to say closed no matter how hard she tried.
 
"Um.. Guys? Why can't I move my arms and legs?" She asked in that same calm tone that freaked her out.
 
"You have no energy, Kaya. Right now your just running on empty, and thats a very dangerous place to be. Please, just close your eyes and go to sleep." Yusuke said, forcing out a smile for her sake. He knew it'd take days for her spirit energy to return to normal like it always did for him. He just couldn't understand why she had lost so much energy in such a short amount of time.
 
"I better not be dead when I wake up." She murmured, letting her eyes droop closed until she was fast asleep on the sofa. Yusuke looked down at her with a smile before grabbing a blanket off of another chair and covering her with it. He turned towards Kurama, and the soft smile was replaced with a sonic expression.
 
"Kurama, can you dig up everything you can on a demon named Hideyoshi and a human girl named Hikira?" He asked.
"Yes, I will return to spirit world as soon as I talk with Koenma." The red head said, placing a head on his friends shoulder before walking out of the room.
 
"How long do you think she'll be out?" Yusuke asked Genkai as they looked over at the girl sleeping on the couch. Yukina was kneeling down next to her with her eyes closed and her hands hovering over Kaya's body, a faint teal light coming off of them.
 
"No telling. You know how long it takes humans to regain energy. It might take her half the time they do, it might take her longer. But for now, why don't you bring her up to her room?" The old woman said, sighing slightly.
 
Whatever was after Kaya, if it's getting to her through her mind there would be no way for them to protect her. Except to teach her to defend her mind...
 
With Hiei:
 
"Listen little man, I don't care wha-" The giant low-life demon started, only to be cut off when Hiei's sword cut through his torso. He had no patients for low level demons such as the corpse laying at his feet. He had returned to demon world to distance himself from that girl. Something about her made him want to be as far away from her as he could. She was the only person to ever get into his mind like that, and he didn't like it.
 
It made him wonder how strong the girl really was, to unsettle him like that. Even the strongest of his opponents have never succeeded in getting that far into his mind without dying in the process. It was... new to him, and he didn't care for the feeling.
 
With the changing session adding to the strain, he decided to let loose in demon world by killing as many things as he could. He knew Koenma wouldn't be happy about it, but it wasn't like he was robbing the world of a brilliant mind by slaughtering the pathetic lower class demons. Frankly, he didn't care what Koenma had to say about it.
 
He wished for a stronger opponent, even considered going after a few of the higher ups in the demon world. But he knew a fight like that would prevent him from doing his "job." The only reason he was even wasting his time on scum like them was desperation. If he fought enough weaker demons, sooner or later they'd add up to a stronger one.
 
"HEY! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, YOU LITTLE- Argah!" Another weak demon challenged with the same ending result.
 
Even as he sliced his way through demon after demon, he still couldn't help but wonder about that pathetic girl. The one question that kept repeating it's self over and over in his head was nagging at the corners of his mind. Why had she cried that night? Surely one cannot cry over someone else without feeling the slightest amount of compassion for them? From what little he understood about humans, they don't tend to go out and cry over someone they hold no feelings for.
 
Did this mean that girl had feelings for him? That she cared about him, even in the slightest? The very thought should have made his skin crawl. But it didn't, for some unknown reason. He was relived when it failed to ignite any other shred of emotion left in his body either. He felt no happiness from the thought, no disgust, no hatred, no anger, just nothing.
 
He had to admit, for something so pathetic, she was also beautiful. After hearing himself think such a thought, he curtly cut off another demons head. 'Damn sessions...' He thought, continuing to hack away at the swarm of demons that had all come to fight him.
 
He had a slight respect for the girl, though he didn't want to admit it. After seeing her life flash before his eyes, she had gained a shred of his respect. That, and the fact that she had overtaken him, if even for a brief second. She had seen his life also, which bothered him. She knew the real Hiei. She's the only person to know his secrets, and she can still stomach to be in the same room as him.
 
"DIE YOU LITTLE MAGGOT!!" Another demon screamed with his last breath, right before having his body cut in two by Hiei's blade.
--
 
"I'm afraid she's lost a great amount of energy, Yusuke. I've only seen one other person's levels drop so low, and that was yours when we all took you for dead.." Yukina said sadly, looking down at the comatose girl in her bed.
 
"Well what the hell happened to her to make her so weak?" Yusuke growled, not angry with Yukina but
with himself. He hated not knowing! For all he knew, that Hideyoshi could be sucking her dry right at this very moment. And he couldn't do anything!
 
"Kurama will return shortly with more information on the demon causing this, until then you need to calm down." Genkai said shortly.
 
"I can't wait that long, Genkai! What if he's in her head right now, sucking up all of her energy?" He said, running his hand through his hair.
 
"I can assure you, I felt no other presence." Yukina spoke up, looking up at the spirit detective from her spot on the ground.
 
"What if he comes back? What then?"
 
"Then theres nothing we can do about it. We simply have to trust that Kaya is strong enough to keep him at bay. She was strong enough to get into Hiei's mind, I don't think this will be a problem for her." The old women spoke gruffly.
 
Yusuke couldn't do anything but sigh as he thought over what his teacher had just said. She was right, and he knew it but that didn't stop him from worrying. The last thing he wanted for his friend was for her to be in the same place he was when he had died. A dangerous place.
 
The three of them left Kaya in her room, with one of them checking up on her every hour. They were all sitting in the living room talking over their situation.
 
"It doesn't take a master mind to figure out that this Hideyoshi demon was the one that attacked us before. He made sure Kaya was the only one to see him." Genkai said, sipping her tea. They had now been sitting in the living room for 3 hours, mulling everything over again and again to try to make some sense out of everything that was happening.
 
Yukina had said her good night's long past an hour ago and gone up to bed, while Yusuke and Genkai continued to converse. "She said something about this demon believing she was his betrothed, and he kept calling her Hikira... Maybe this Hikira has something to do with Kaya's powers." Yusuke mumbled, flying on a hunch. "Shit old woman, we really are flying blind here. We know nothing about Kaya's powers, or why this demon really wants her." He sighed.
 
"Part of your job as a spirit detective is to put together pieces of the puzzle that don't make sense, twit. Just because you have a personal attachment to this case doesn't mean you can half ass it." Genkai snapped. In the week that she had been training with Kaya, Genkai had seen a lot of herself in the young girl. And, as much as she did not want to admit it, she too was worried about her.
 
Before he could reply to his teacher's outburst, his communicator went off. Jumping up slightly at the sudden, unexpected noise Yusuke quickly brushed off his surprise and ripped open the small compact mirror.
 
"What did you find out, Kurama?" He asked excitedly.
 
"I think you'd like to hear this in person, Yusuke. Koenma will open a portal for you." The red head said with no real tone to his voice.