Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ What Soul?? ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

It's raining out again, my dear.
It's on nights like this that I think of you the most.
I long for your touch, to be able to hold you in my arms again like before...
Do you remember that night? The night she took you away from me?
I do.
I remember it so vividly, it's still so fresh in my mind though it must have been years by now.
 
Will you shut up already! I have no idea what your talking about! Just go away and let me dream in peace..
 
I am your dreams women, theres no shutting me out.
 
What are you talking about?! Just get out of my head! What the hell did I ever do to you?!
 
YOU TOOK HER AWAY FROM ME! YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOUR GOING TO GET!
 
I took who away? What are you talking about?!
 
Hikira, you cretin! Her kind soul was so lost, trying to help you and you stole it from her! I watched over her while she was still a child. When she grew into a women she met an untimely death at the hands of her father. Her soul was cursed to wander the earth in limbo due to that wretch Koenma's blunder. We were happy together until you stole her soul away from me...
 
Wait... How did I... Are you saying I have someone else's soul inside of me?
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
“What did you find out, Kurama!” Yusuke yelled, stepping out of the portal. The entire gang was here in Koenma's office, waiting to be informed. But he was in no mood to wait, he wanted to know right now.
 
“Yusuke, I understand your upset right now, but please just try to listen to what Kurama has to say.” Botan pleaded.
 
“Well?” Yusuke said, growing more and more inpatient.
 
“It seems that the demon that attacked Kaya is a very rare form of demon, known as a “dream demon.” Dream demons have no physical bodies of their own, so they take control of other people by entering and taking over their minds.” Kurama started.
 
“They are essentially the souls of very powerful demons that had refused to move on after death. They maintain their demonic powers in the after life and move from person to person to gain a psychical body once more.” The red head explained.
 
“So your saying that Kaya is being sought out by some demon ghost?!” Yusuke yelled, irate with the news.
 
“Yes, Yusuke. Hideyoshi fell in love after his death with a young women named Hikira. When she died, he prevented her soul from passing on, so she too was forced to wander along side him. I'm still not quite sure how this affects Kaya however..” Kurama said.
 
“Thats it?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“I'm afraid that's all we have on Hikira. Nothing on her life, or how she died. Just her association with Hideyoshi.”
 
“Wait, wait, wait...If these dream demons are the souls of upper class demons... Don't you think that's a rather big issue Koenma? How can you just allow these demons to exist?!” Yusuke shouted, pointing a finger at the demi-god.
 
“We had no knowledge of them at all until a few hundred years ago, Yusuke. The existence of dream demons is something so rare, it happens once every nine hundred thousand years, roughly.” Koenma explained.
 
“So, it's like a fluke when one of these demons pops up?” Kuwabara asked, but before anyone had a change to answer him, Yusuke exploded.
 
“Kaya is this close to death because of a damn fluke?! Dammit Koenma, you better start doing your job right, or so help me...”
 
“YUSUKE! Please, calm down! Getting upset won't help Kaya at all, so just take a breath and calm yourself.” Botan said, shooting up from her spot on the couch to place a hand on his shoulder.
 
Yusuke tensed up for a moment before taking a deep breath and nodding at her. “Sorry guys, I'm just-” He started only to be cut off by his communicator.
 
Confused, he flipped it open and Yukina appeared on the screen looking horrified and panicked.
 
“Yukina?”
 
“Yusuke, somethings happening to Kaya!” Her frantic voice raised over the background noise. They could all clearly hear Kaya's agonized screams over Yukina's voice..
 
Without another word, Yusuke closed to line and turned to Koenma for a portal. Nodding, the toddler pushed a button on his desk and a blue swirling tunnel appeared right in front of them.
 
Watching helplessly as Kaya thrashed around violently in her bed, Yukina didn't know what to do. She tried to hold her down so she didn't hurt herself, but she was thrashing much to violently for Yukina to hold onto her for very long.
 
Placing pillows over the exposed wooden headboard of the bed, she prayed that Kaya didn't hit her head too hard against it. The pillows didn't seem to help, however, as she winced when she heard Kaya's head bouncing off the wood.
 
She had been screaming ever since Yukina entered the room to check on her 15 minutes ago. The way she was screaming,... It sounded like she was being attacked by a wild animal. Her screams were so horrible, and she sounded so pained... Yukina couldn't take much more.
 
“Yukina! Whats happening?” Kurama asked, stepping through the portal with the rest of the gang. They all looked at Kaya's trashing body with alarm. Her lip was busted open from her arm smacking into her face by the force of her jerking body, her nose dripping blood.
 
“I don't know! I came in to check on her, and as soon as I opened the door she started screaming and jerking around!” Yukina said, her brow scrunched together in worry.
 
“Help me hold her down!” Yusuke shouted as he grabbed a hold of both her legs, which were kicking wildly in his direction. Kurama grabbed onto her arms and managed to get them pinned down at her sides, her body still jerking.
 
“Whats happening to her?” Kuwabara asked, alarmed.
 
“It's Hideyoshi! He's screwing with her head again!” Yusuke shouted as his grip on her leg slipped and he received a kick to the face. He managed to regain his grip, however, and held on tighter this time.
 
“Hiei, you're the only one who can get into her mind and see whats causing all of this.” Kurama said as he felt Kaya's elbow connect with his temple. The tighter they held onto her, the more she struggled. Her screams had become quieter due to her voice giving out and breaking.
 
Without a word, Hiei, who had been watching silently the entire time, untied his bandanna and opened his Jagan eye. He wasn't exactly willing to venture into this girls mind again, but his curiously got the better of him this time.
 
Blocking out the sound of her screams and everything else around him, he focused on getting into her mind. He found it wasn't as easy getting into this girls mind as it was others, it actually took effort on his part.
 
Once he felt himself break free from his physical body, he knew he was in. Opening his eyes again, he found himself surrounded by blackness. Nothing, as far as he could see, but the cold darkness that invited him in and swallowed him whole.
 
Closing his eyes once more, he focused on finding the part of her mind that Hideyoshi was hiding in. Once he opened them, he again found himself surrounded by darkness. But it wasn't the hopeless, empty darkness like before, this was the darkness of night.
 
Looking to the left, his eyes fell upon an old house. Realizing he was in the front yard, he knew this was the right place.
 
Upon closer inspection, he realized that he had been here before. This was the house he had followed Kaya to when she ran away, but it hadn't burnt down yet, which meant he was in one of her memories. Jumping up into a tree, he opened one of the windows and climbed into a dark room. He didn't hear any noise coming from downstairs, he didn't hear anything. Not even the wind. It was just silent.
 
He was about to leave the room, when the door flung open and in ran Kaya, a look a fear stuck on her soft face. Hiei walked up to her, and took a good look at her appearance. He knew she couldn't see him, he wasn't even here, his mind was.
 
She was in her night clothes, standing next to a desk. She seemed to be on guard, waiting for something to happen. As he looked her over, he noticed the look of anger on her face. 'She seems to have that look on her face a lot,'Hiei thought.
 
He watched her as she stood shaking, staring at the door. Something has obviously upset her, she looked so scared and angry. His eyes followed her fingers as she absentmindedly fingered the 19th century key hanging around her neck with a shaky hand. He briefly wonder about the key before his thoughts were cut off by Kaya's sharp intake of breath.
He looked from her face to the door as it was flung open by a man with dark hair. The shadows were hiding his face from Hiei's gaze.
 
“How dare you strike me?! The next time I want something from you, whore, you better comply or you'll be out on the street!” The man said darkly, before closing the door behind himself as he left.
 
Hiei didn't have to know the whole story to know what that man was talking about when he said “The next time I want something from you.”
 
Turning back towards Kaya, he noticed how she was leaning against the wall, her hand covering her eyes as it slid down her face. She herself slid down the wall she was leaning on until she was sitting on the floor, snarling at the door where the man had just been standing.
 
'What was I thinking moving in with my uncle before I knew him? Now it's worst then before! That man treats me like a fucking slave! Who the hell does he think he is, demanding things like that from me?!' Hiei heard her thoughts.
 
Why don't you kill him then? A voice asked from within Kaya's mind. It couldn't have been Hideyoshi though, it was a woman's voice.
 
'Shut up! The last thing I need is your nagging right now.' Kaya shot back as she lit up a cigarette.
 
See that lighter in your hand? It would be so easy to take some gasoline from the shack in the backyard and..
 
'SHUT UP! I'll figure out something to get myself out of this mess without you help!'
 
No you won't. You know damn well if you don't do this, you'll be stuck here with that sicko for the rest of you life!
 
“Just get out of my head!!” Kaya shouted aloud, clutching at her head.
 
BURN IT TO THE GROUND KAYA!
 
Kaya made a sound half way between a moan and a scream as she clutched at her skull, rocking back and forth. What she failed to noticed, though Hiei did not, was her cigarette flying out of her hand and rolling underneath her bed.
 
“Leave me alone...” She said, her voice weak.
 
All that was heard from the voice was laughter as it faded out of her mind and back into some other part of her brain. Kaya sat there for a while, rocking herself back and forth with a snarl on her face. Hiei had seen this memory before, when she had forced it into his mind the other night, but something was different about it this time. He knew it was just a matter of time.
 
“Fuck this.” Kaya stated as she stood up, walking over to her closet and grabbing a pile of clothes. She threw them on her bed before reaching under it to grab her suit case. After a few seconds, she pulled her hand back out, a confused look on her face. “What the hell? Did my hand just go through the floor?” She mumbled to herself.
 
Taking a look under her bed, she saw a fairly big hole in the floor and figured her hand must have fallen into it. Crawling under the bed until her face was right above the hole, she looked down into it. She saw into the basement, where her uncle kept a lot of gasoline and fireworks from his job. Looking down to the left, she saw a puddle of gasoline, with her cigarette in it, light on fire.
 
“Oh shit!” She exclaimed, crawling out from under the bed as quickly as she could. She stood up and ran out the door, looking for her uncle.
 
'This is where it changes. In the memory I've seen, she jumps out the window..' Hiei thought, following her down the stairs as she ran all over the house screaming for her uncle to get out of the house. Running into his bedroom, Kaya managed to get out the words “There's a fire” before he fire reached the fireworks and exploded, engulfing them both in flames.
 
Hiei watched as Kaya and her uncle slowly burnt to death in that house, a feeling of sorrow overtaking him for the slightest fraction of a second. He listened as Kaya's screams filled the air, breaking the strange silence from earlier.
 
“Are you done, Hideyoshi?” Hiei asked, his voice emotionless and unamused.
 
“Oh, Hiei. Even you have to appreciate my work here. You came in here to figure out why she was screaming so? I think you've found out. Her mind believes she is burning to death!” A voice laughed, sounding very amused with the situation.
 
“You coward, show yourself.” Hiei demanded, growling.
 
A figure appeared in front of him, both of them surrounded by the still blazing fire. The figure was a tall man with white hair, his eyes a glowing shade of purple. He had a very slim build for such a tall person.
 
“Why are you after Kaya?” Hiei asked, finding himself shocked that he actually used her name.
 
“Don't tell me the great Hiei Jaganshi actually cares for this pathetic wretch?” Hideyoshi laughed.
 
“Don't count on it, fool.” Hiei said, un fazed by the question.
 
“If you must know, I want her soul. It took me a long time to find this girl, but you and your team of losers helped me a great deal. I must thank you for that.” He smirked.
 
“I'm sure you know by now of a human named Hikira. This girl stole her soul at birth, a reincarnation of sorts. She must die so I can finally have my betrothed back with me. I spent 17 years looking for the human with my Hikira's soul, and once Koenma found out, he sent you dogs out to fetch her for me. ” Hideyoshi explained, pointing to Kaya's dead body.
 
“What do you mean by that?” Hiei asked, his face still emotionless.
 
“Hikira lived her life as a human, but after her death she gained some of my powers. Her soul became bitter towards the dead, wishing to be alive once again. She had followed this cretin's mother around for awhile, saying she saw beauty in the unborn child. I had forbid her, but she did it anyway...” He trailed off.
 
“This, Kaya, was born too soon to survive, and would have died. But Hikira intervened, giving the child her soul and with it, all of the powers I had given her.” He finished.
 
“That would make Kaya a half demon.” Hiei said, his face still sonic and his voice still empty.
 
“It would, but before my own death I gained all of my demonic powers from consuming spirits, thus gaining their powers as well. Even before my death, I was essentially a spirit myself.” Hideyoshi laughed. “But now that Hikira has known what it's like to live again, the time has come for Kaya to die.”
 
“You won't kill her, Hideyoshi.” Hiei said sternly.
 
“Oh? And why is that?” He asked with a raised eyebrow, clearly amused.
 
Before Hiei had a chance to say anything else, he was shaken out of his concentration by loud noises coming from around his body. His jagan eye closed, and when it opened again, he was back in his body and looking around the room for his bandanna. Thunder cracked from outside the window, making it the reason he lost his concentration. Finding his white bandanna folded on the table, he shook his head.
 
Tying it around his forehead, he noticed how Kaya's screams and trashing had stopped. He noted how he was alone in the room and that the sun had come up. He must have been in her mind longer then he'd thought. Standing up, he looked down at Kaya's sleeping form. She looked peaceful now that she wasn't tricked into believing she was burning to death.
 
If Hideyoshi had multiple powers from consuming demon souls, and gave some of those powers to Hikira, it made him wonder what powers Kaya got out of the deal.
 
“Hiei.”
 
Surprised to hear his name, Hiei looked over at the sleeping girl. She lay there, hugging her pillow, her hair falling into her closed eyes, a smile on her face. He raised an eyebrow at her, but shook it off and stood up. He had to inform the others of Hideyoshi's plan.
 
Walking over to the door, he took one last look over at Kaya before walking through the door, closing it behind him.