Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ Happy? ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Why can't I wake up? I know I'm sleeping right now, and I know I've been asleep for way too long... But no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to wake myself up. I don't like this very much. All I do is lay here and think. I don't like to think about things for very long, but it feels like I've been doing just that for a very long time now.
 
I wonder how long it's been? The last thing I really remember is how weird my body felt when I was alone in my room. After that, I can remember bits and pieces. I remember Yusuke fussing over me, telling them I heard voices, and the overwhelming feelings running through me. I remember Genkai's voice when she told me I could die if I didn't go to sleep...
 
What if I'm dead right now?
 
I don't think I am. I can still feel the breeze hitting my face from the open widow next to my bed. I can feel when someone is in the room with me, checking on me to make sure I'm not dead... So, I must still be alive.
 
But why haven't I woken up yet? I don't know how long its been, but it feels like I've been out for weeks. I really wish that I'd just hurry wake up already. The dreams I have scare the shit out of me, I try not to think about them. Normally there just old memories, but there different now. I know that it's because of him. The man -or whatever he is- that's been inside my head the entire time.
 
Sometimes he likes to talk to my soul... Her soul... I don't know whose soul it is, but he talks to it. He's speaking to me, but at the same time he's not. He's speaking through me, to her. She never responds, but every time he talks to her I get that same weird feeling from before. The feeling that I'm not feeling what I'm feeling, I'm feeling what she's feeling.
 
He had explained the whole story to me shortly after I fell asleep. How I wasn't born with a life, and how she wanted one so badly she gave her soul to me just to know what it felt like to live again. Until this whole thing started, I never even believed in souls. Now I'm questioning if I even have one, or if I'm living with her soul.
 
I'm sure I'm not like her though. He tells her stories sometimes, to remind her what she was like before me. I'm not like her. She was a kind hearted person, and I know I am too, but somewhere deep down I know how different we really are. I can't even explain these things anymore. I guess she told me, because I know these things are facts, I just don't know how I know them now.
 
She told me once, she explained we were not the same person though we shared one body. She had never intended for me to gain a life of my own. She said she planed it out, she was supposed just pick up living where she left off and start a new life through me. Since I would have been dead anyways, she figured it wasn't like she was killing me. She didn't give me life in an act of kindness, she did it through selfishness. Somewhere down the line, I guess I became subconsciously aware of this and forced her away.
 
Neither one of us knows how, but I became a whole other person from her. I developed my own strengths and weaknesses, my own personality, my own tastes, I made my own decisions. I grew up without ever knowing about her.
 
She would be a good reason to explain the voices that I hear sometimes, but it just doesn't add up. Sunny is a very cruel person, she hates everything. I don't think Hikira's like that, so I don't believe she's “Sunny.” Sometimes, I do feel a lot of anger from her, but I know wheres she's coming from. She's trapped. She's been trapped her whole life -and death-, and every time she manages to get away, theres always another prick holding her down again.
 
I guess I'm that prick this time.
 
See, this is why I don't like to think about things very often. But right now, I'm trying to hold off dreaming for as long as I can, so thinking will have to do. When I dream now, there more like visions. Flashbacks of memories I'd rather forget. It's horrifying to me, I worked so hard to block out my memories, and now there all coming back to me worse then before. I hate this.
 
Why can't I just wake up?!
 
--------------------------------------------------------
Having heard everything Hiei was willing to tell them about his encounter, the spirit detectives set about finding a plan of action to take with the new development in their case.
 
“I really don't get how we're supposed to help Kaya here guys. This guy has no body, so we can't beat him up!” Kuwabara stated, lost without a violent solution.
 
“If his only way of hurting her is getting into her mind, we make sure he can't do that.” Kurama said from his spot on the couch.
 
“How though? She's in a coma, fighting off Hideyoshi by herself right now.” Yusuke asked, his head falling into his hands as he sighed.
 
“We've been training her to fight. She's picked it up rather fast. When she wakes up, we train her to use her mind.” Genkai muttered, flicking the ashes from her cigarette into a near by ashtray.
 
“Won't that take time we don't have?” Yusuke asked, looking up from his hands at Genkai.
 
“She already has a very powerful physic energy, a very strong willed mind. Training her to know how to use it shouldn't be hard.” Kurama answered.
 
“I'll do it.” Came Hiei's voice from across the room. Everyone looked at him in shock, though Kurama only seemed to be faking it. He knew Hiei must have been, at least a little bit, curious about the inner workings of Kaya's bizarre mind. After all, he's the one who experienced the most of it.
 
“What was that Hiei?”
 
“I'll train the onna.”
 
“Whoa, hold on a minute here! I don't think that's such a good idea. The poor girl has enough problems!” Kuwabara spoke up, waving his arms around franticly.
 
“He is the only one of us here with any kind of experience in the field.” Yusuke said, ignoring Kuwabara's outburst.
 
“Your willing, Hiei?” Kurama asked.
 
“Hn.” Was all the little fire demon said in reply to his friends question. He glared at Kuwabara as he continued to rant on about Hiei's training being too much for Kaya to take. He had to admit it himself, his training would push the girl to her limits. 'This should be interesting..' He thought to himself as he turned to walk out of the room.
 
“Hey, Hiei.” Came Yusuke's voice from behind, making him turn his head to look at him over his shoulder.
 
“Don't be too hard on her.” Yusuke paused, his voice completely serious. “Or she'll end up kicking your ass.” He finished, grinning.
 
Hiei was about to say something back to his spirit detective friend, but was cut short by the sounds of screaming from upstairs. They all knew that it was Kaya screaming, and rushed up the stairs to see what was happening to the girl.
 
Entering the room, they all stopped in their tracks at what they saw.
 
There, sitting straight up with a look of confusion on her face, was Kaya. She sat there holding her bleeding nose, looking like she was lost. Once she saw them enter the room, she smiled brightly.
 
“Holy shit! I had the weirdest dream!” She laughed, getting up. Kuwabara handed her a tissue for her bloody nose, which she obtained from last nights trashing. She thanked him and wiped up her face.
 
“Kaya! How are you awake!?” Yusuke exclaimed, joyful and confused.
 
“I dunno... Am I not supposed to be?” She asked, blinking a few times.
 
“No, we just didn't expect you to wake so soon. We thought you'd be out for much longer.” Kurama said, smiling.
 
“Sorry, but I fucking hated being asleep.” She said, looking around the room at her friends. She knew she could call them her friends now, after what they had all done for her. She had a lot of time to think things over when she was sleeping, so she put everything into place. As her eyes fell upon the uninterested looking form of Hiei, she smiled.
 
“I think I should thank you, Hiei. You were in my dream, weren't you? I couldn't see you but I felt you there, so thank you for helping me out.” Kaya said, laughing lightly as she scratched the back of her head.
 
Hiei looked at her, and for a second it looked like he was going to just brush her off or ignore her but instead, he nodded slightly at her. His version of a “Your Welcome,” she figured.
 
“So...What new with you guys?” She laughed, not knowing what else to say. She was so happy that she had woken up after so long with her thoughts. She may have woken up early to them, but it felt like years to her. She couldn't take much more.
 
She was so zoned out that she didn't notice when Yusuke came up and hugged her. “Your like a sister to me Kaya, and I'm so sorry you have to be put through all this.” He said, pulling back and smiling at her. She laughed and punched his arm lightly. “Don't worry about it, dumb ass. I don't know if I'm actually happy about all of this, but I know I'm glad it happened.” She said, turning towards the rest of them.
 
“Look, I know you guys are only doing your jobs, and I'm sorry I've been such an ingrate. I'm only going to say this once, but... thank you all for everything you've done.” She said, chuckling lightly as she finished her sentence.
 
“It's no problem, Kaya. I think I can speak for the rest of us when I say you've been a very entertaining addition to our team so far.” Kurama said, laughing.
 
“That's for sure, your a better match for me at video games then Yusuke is!” Kuwabara said with a smile. Kaya laughed as Yusuke threatened the lumpy teen. “Thank you guys.”
 
Her face fell a moment later as she thought back to her dreams. “I have some stuff you guys should know about though, so why don't we all go downstairs.” She said, walking towards the door. As the rest of them followed her, they passed the doorway to the kitchen. Kaya noticed Yukina inside making diner for them all.
 
“I'll be right with you guys, I gotta do something first.” She said, walking into the kitchen. Kurama, Genkai, Yusuke, and Kuwabara all let her be for a minute and headed to the living room. Hiei, however, wanted to know what she was planning on doing with his sister.
 
“Hey, Yukina.” She said, walking up the blue haired girl as she chopped carrots. Turning around, Yukina dropped her knife in surprise. “Oh my goodness, Kaya, your awake!”
 
“Yeah, so I've been told.” Kaya laughed, picking up the knife that Yukina had dropped. “Look, I wanted to thank you for taking care of me while I was out. I never really had a lot of people in my life that cared enough to do that for me, so... thanks.” She smiled, placing the knife back onto the counter as she spoke.
 
“It was my pleasure, Kaya.” The ice maiden said as she hugged the other girl. Kaya may have been sleeping when she was taking care of her, but she still knew how much she fussed over her, making sure she was comfortable, opening the window for her when it got too hot, or making sure she had a blanket when it was cold. Not even her mother did that much for her. It amazed her that someone she barely knew could be so caring.
 
“How can you be so kind, Yukina?” Kaya asked once she pulled away.
 
“Well you have done nothing to make me not like you.” Yukina said, puzzled by what she meant.
 
“No, I mean...I just don't get it. You've had some horrible things happen in your life, I saw them myself through Hiei. How are you still so nice to people?” Kaya asked, amazed at the other girl's kindness.
 
“Oh, well.. I guess thats just who I am. There are too many cold hearted, bitter people in this world already. I see no point in becoming one myself.” Yukina said, smiling.
 
“I admire that, Yukina. I really do.” Kaya said, smiling back. “Listen, I have some stuff to tell everyone in the other room. Why don't you take a break form diner and come with me, and later I can help you finish cooking.”
 
“That sounds nice.”
 
As the two girls made their way out of the kitchen and into the living room, Hiei walked out of the shadows. He didn't like the fact that Kaya knew Yukina was his sister. Every time they talked to each other, he was afraid she might let it slip. He'd have to make sure she knew to never say a word...
 
Walking out of the kitchen, he found his way into the living room with the rest of his team just as Kaya started to explain her dreams to them.
 
“I know you guys already know why Hideyoshi is after me, I'm sure Hiei told you.” She started, playing with her hands, trying to think of what to say next. “While I was asleep, I had a lot of time to think when I wasn't dreaming. Hikira came and spoke to me during this time, and what she had to say made a lot of things click.”
 
Kaya sighed before she went on. “She told me that after she died, Hideyoshi wouldn't let her move on. This caused her to become bitter and hateful, and after he had given her a portion of his powers, she had the ability to rid herself from her hate by developing a split personality.”
 
“When she gave me her soul, her other half came with. Her split personality is the voice thats been in my head since I was old enough to hear it, the one I call Sunny. Sunny appears every time I have a trauma in my life, and she normally just tells me to do things that make it worse. Hikira told me that Sunny wants me dead so she can be back with Hideyoshi. She's trying to get me to screw up my life so bad, I kill myself or something stupid like that .” Kaya rolled her eyes.
 
“I figured you guys might want to know this though. Sunny and Hikira each have different powers, which, of course, were transferred to me at birth.”
 
“Did she say what ones?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“She didn't go too far into detail, but Sunny has the physical strength that showed up when Koenma tested me the first time, and Hikira has mental abilities.” Kaya said, running a hand through her hair.
 
“But you yourself have no demonic power, is that correct?” Kurama asked.
 
“Yep.” Kaya mumbled.
 
“Well since Hikira has some mental abilities, it should make Hiei's job easier.” Yusuke said, looking over at the little demon.
 
“Are you high again, Yusuke? What are you talking about?” Kaya asked, confused.
 
“Hiei is going to be training you to use your mind, for once in your life!” He said, grabbing at his stomach as he laughed. Kaya looked over at Hiei, who had that same black expression on his face as he looked back at her.
 
“Is that true, Hiei?” Se asked, still looking at him.
 
“Hn. You need to get better somehow.” He said, looking at her also. Their eyes were locked for a while longer before Kaya grinned.
 
“Well then, I'll have to kick your ass around until I get better.” She challenged.
 
“We'll see about that.” He smirked.
 
“Kaya, you do know that Hiei is a much more strict trainer then I?” Genkai questioned.
 
“Wouldn't expect anything less of the great Hiei.” She laughed, turning from Hiei to Genkai. “Thank you for all you've taught me, Genkai. I did actually learn a lot from you.”
 
Genkai nodded at Kaya, and turned to face Yusuke. “You should take a lesson from that, Yusuke. A student actually thanking their teacher and showing them respect.”
 
“Yeah right! I don't kiss ass, unlike some people.” Yusuke said, looking at Kaya.
 
“Hey! Are you talking about me Urameshi?!” Kuwabara shouted, jumping to his feet.
 
“No, you dumb ass! I was looking right at Kaya!” Yusuke shouted back, also getting to his feet and pointing at Kaya as he spoke.
 
“Who you calling a dumb ass?!”
 
“You, ya dumb ass!”
 
“Say that to my face!”
 
“I just did! What about it!?”
 
Kaya laughed as the two of them continued to fight. She was so happy to be awake and freed from Hideyoshi, at least for the time being. She wasn't sure if she was looking forward to her training with Hiei or not, but she had to admit, she was curious.
 
“You wanna fight, Urameshi?!”
 
“Maybe I do!”
 
“I'll give ya a fight!”
 
All in all, she was happy everything happened to her. She was happy she met everyone here, happy she finally got away from the problems of her human life, happy she had her freedom, she was just... happy.