Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ The power of a mind ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Looking down at her hands, Kaya sighed. She sat alone in her dark room, giving up on sleep a long time ago. Everyone else had said their good night's hours ago, and here she sat unable to sleep and thinking things over yet again. She still hadn't come to grips with the fact that she very nearly died a few days ago, all she could think about was sorting out the information floating around in her brain right now.
 
It really didn't surprise her that she couldn't find sleep tonight. After all, she was asleep for four days, according to the guys. They said they had expected her to stay sleeping for at least a week. That's how long it took Yusuke to wake up after he had his life energy drained out of him, or so they told her. She really didn't want to know the details of her best friends misadventures. Kaya found it made her stomach twist every time they told her how close Yusuke had come to dying... for the second time. She had come to think of him as one of her brothers, and it made her sick to think of him dying.
 
She knew this was, at least in part due to the fact that she hadn't heard from her real brothers in two years now. Some times she wondered if they were even still alive, but she always forced herself to think about something else. Her thoughts always seem to remind her of things she'd rather forget, things that brought her pain. So she tried not to think too much, but lately thats all she seems to be doing.
 
Sighing again, she turned her head to look out the window at the full moon. She sat there on the floor next to her bed and tried to shift her thoughts away from memories.
 
She started her training with Hiei tomorrow, per her own request. She really didn't want to be tired when they started, because she knew he'd push her as far as she could go. She didn't know him that well, but she was smart enough to know that Hiei was the kind of guy that wouldn't waste time on you unless you were giving him your all. And that's exactly what she was planning on doing, pushing herself to her limits, and then some. Sleep or not, she was gonna show him that she wasn't just a “weak girl.”
 
Looking over at her clock, she sighed. Four in the morning. Training started at the crack of dawn. “Oh boy.” Kaya laughed to herself. She really didn't feel that tired, so she was hoping with all the sleep she had gotten already, that missing tonights rest wouldn't be an issue in the morning. She had been trying to sleep for the past 6 hours now, and laying in bed didn't help. She was just killing time now.
 
Looking to her right, she noticed her bass guitar leaning against her dresser, still in its case. She hadn't even thought about it since coming here, never had time to with everything else going on. She really didn't even know why she brought it with her, but she couldn't bring herself to just leave it behind. It had no real meaning to her, other then it was a fun hobby. It wasn't handed down to her, it never belonged to anyone special. She had bought it at a pawn shop for 50 bucks 2 years ago, and found she enjoyed playing it. She liked the freedom of expression that came along with music, so she picked up the bass and taught herself how to be free.
 
Standing up, she walked over and picked it up. Laying it down on her bed, she opened the case and sat back down.
 
She began to play the bass lines to random songs she knew, happy she still remembered most of them. As she was placing her fingers, something in her head caused her to pause. With wide eyes she looked around her room, seeing no one.
 
'Will you stop that noise.' Hiei's cold voice echoed in her head. Relieved it was only Hiei, Kaya relaxed.
 
'Don't fucking do that! You scared the crap out of me!' Kaya shouted back in her mind.
 
'Hn. Why are you still awake.'
 
'I was sleeping for four straight days. Going back to sleep isn't that easy.' She mumbled, continuing her bass line.
 
'It was your request that we start training at sunrise, onna. If your not rested, it will be a waste of my time.' His toneless voice said.
 
'Trust me, I'll be fine. Shouldn't be too hard to mess you up...again.' She smirked, still playing her bass. Then Hiei did something that actually surprised her. He chuckled.
 
'You think so, do you? You may have the power, but you lack the know how. Don't think that means I'll go easy on you.'
 
'Is that so. Well then, mister Hiei, we'll just have to see what happens at sunrise.' Kaya said, the smirk still on her face.
 
'Hn.'
 
'Good night elf boy.' She smiled before she felt his presence leave her mind. Shaking her head lightly, she placed her bass guitar back into its case and went to lay down. “Might as well lay down for awhile, at least.” She mumbled to herself.
--
 
“KAYA! GET UP! FOUR DAYS OF SLEEP IS ENOUGH WOMEN!” Yusuke screamed up the stairs. Kaya's eyes snapped open and with a start, she realized she had fallen asleep.
 
“SHUT YOUR SHIT, GREASE BALL!” She screamed back, jumping up and rushing to find some clothes to wear. While she was doing this, she realized that it was still slightly dark out so she was only sleeping for an hour at the most.
 
She picked out a black tank top with the words “Eat Brains” on it, and a pair of her paint splattered jeans before stripping herself in record time. She yanked her clothes on, grabbed a tiger print hair tie, and ran down the stairs.
 
Looking around, she saw no sign of Hiei. She noticed Genkai and Kurama sitting at the kitchen table discussing something or another. Yusuke was no where in sight either. Sighing, she walked up to the two and sat down with them.
 
“What up?” She asked, placing her head in the palm of her hand as her elbow rested on the table.
 
“Good morning Kaya. Did you sleep well?” Kurama greeted, a smile on his face. She inwardly laughed at his politeness. She didn't think she knew anyone that was as polite as Kurama was.
 
“Actually, I didn't sleep at all. But I figure four days of sleep will do that to ya.” She mumbled. “So, wheres Hiei? I thought he'd be pissed if I was late, but hes not even here.”
 
“Well, thats not like Hiei. He's probably out in the woods already waiting for you. I'd go now before he comes looking for you.” The red head explained, an amused smile on his face.
 
“Oh, come on!” Kaya groaned, standing up and saying her goodbyes to her two friends. Walking out the door, she headed off into the woods towards the clearing that she trained in with Genkai. If Hiei wasn't there, she had no plans of going to look for him. He was the demon, let him find her.
 
As she was walking, Kaya didn't see the tree root that was growing out of the forest floor and tripped on it. She landed flat on her face with a, “Ooph!”
 
Sitting upright she groaned yet again, blowing her bangs out of her eyes. Looking over her scrapped up arms, she was thankful she managed to get them in front of her face before she fell. It would have just killed Hiei laughing to see her all scrapped up before they actually started her training. Standing up, she brushed herself off before continuing her walk.
 
She made it to the clearing a few minutes later and decided to light up a cigarette. Looking around, she saw no sigh of Hiei and mumbled something along the lines of “stupid elf” under her breath. She took a few steps farther into the clearing and continued to look around for the little fire demon. Flicking the ash from her cigarette, she brought it up to her lips to take a drag.
 
As she inhaled, she saw a flash of metal an inch in front of her face and a second later her cigarette was cut down to the filter. Surprising both herself, and Hiei she didn't flinch away or freak out. Her eyes just widen as she realized he had broken her cigarette, what was left of it still between her lips. Throwing it away, she looked around again and saw no Hiei.
 
“You know what? Someone ought to shove that sword of yours straight up your-” Kaya started, only to be cut off a second later by Hiei reappearing next to her. He stood there looking straight ahead, his hands folded behind his back. He turned his head to look at her puzzled face, and smirked.
 
“Try it.”
 
“Yeah, maybe after I go roll around in some nuclear waste and gain the power of super speed. Until then, it's not happening.” She rolled her eyes. “So what are we doing first then, boss?” She said sarcastically with a smile on her face. She had no idea why, but she was actually glad to be training with him.
 
“You are going to try to enter my mind once again.” He said simply, thinking of that night.
 
“Like you do to me? You know, when your voice just randomly pops into my head whenever the hell you feel like it? Like that?” She said, her voice slightly annoyed.
 
“Yes, like that.” Hiei mumbled.
 
“Alight then... How?” Kaya asked.
 
“Concentrate.”
 
“Gee, thats helpful.” She mumbled. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and tried doing as told. A few seconds later, she saw white flashes of light under her eyelids. Like a strobe light inside of her head. It was surprisingly painful to her, but she held her concentration despite the pain and tried harder.
 
After about 5 minutes of the painful flashing, she opened her eyes again and held her head. “Why can't I do it Hiei?” She asked, squinting her eyes in the sunlight.
 
“Your inexperienced.” Hiei said simply. “See that pile of twigs over there? Move them.”
 
“So it's like a 'start small' thing.” Kaya chuckled, closing her eyes once again. Taking a deep breath, she tried to imagine the twigs moving in her mind, but found the flashing light prevented her from doing so.
 
“Concentrate, onna.” She heard Hiei speak. With the strobe light going off in her head, the pain it brought, and the pressure she put on her self to prove something to Hiei, Kaya became frustrated rather quickly when he spoke.
 
“I am, asshole!” She snapped. As soon as those words left her lips the flashing light in her head exploded into white and with it went the pain she felt. She focused on imaging the moving twigs once again and found it to be a lot easier this time.
 
Making sure she kept her concentration, she tried to carefully open her eyes to see if she had actually done it. It was something that Genkai had taught her, and she inwardly thanked her for it. Slowly, she opened her blue green eyes and what she saw upon doing so shocked her.
 
The pile of once stationary twigs was now floating 3 feet above where they once were. Kaya wasn't even sure if she had the telekinetic powers that Hikira said she had, but now she thought it was pretty safe to say she did.
 
“Um...Hiei?” She spoke up a minute later.
 
“Don't drop them.” He ordered.
 
“Well, how long do I have to do this?” Kaya asked, a worried look taking over her features
 
“You will continue to hold those twigs up until you are no longer able to do so.” And with that, Hiei began to walk away.
 
Beginning to panic and feeling greatly infuriated, Kaya screamed after him, “Where the hell are you going?!”
 
“I'll return in an hour. And Kaya...” he paused, turning his head to look over his shoulder at her, “don't drop those sticks.” He said, his dark smirk showing his fangs. Kaya was momentarily stunned that he had used her name, but quickly got over it and let her rage take over.
 
“HELL NO! HIEI, YOUR NOT LEAVING ME HERE! DAMNIT YOU LITTLE ELF, COME BACK HERE!”
--
 
“Well that was weird.”
 
Hiei sighed in annoyance, and tilted his head back to look up at Yusuke who was standing in a tree with a stupid grin on his face.
 
“What do you want detective?”
 
“Maybe I'm going insane, but did you just use her name? You hardly ever use MY name and I've known you for years!” Yusuke exclaimed, a snicker hidden in his voice.
 
“Hn.” Was all Hiei said before he started to walk away again. He had little to no patience for the spirit detective right now.
 
“Oh man!” Yusuke laughed, slapping his knee. As he did so however, he lost his balance and fell out of the tree, managing to land on his feet before he fell on his face.
 
“You actually like her, don't you?” He asked, still laughing.
 
“Surely you know me better then that, Yusuke?” Hiei snickered. “I do not care for humans.”
 
“Kaya isn't human though, so you do like her!” Yusuke accused.
 
“I don't care for humans or anything like them.” Hiei said blankly.
 
“Oh come on Hiei! You know everything about each other, albeit by some freak accident, but still! You gotta have a little bond with her?” The greasy teen asked, that goofy grin still planted firmly on his face.
 
“Sounds to me like you actually want me and the girl to “like” each other?” He smirked, shaking his head slightly.
 
“Hey, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.”
 
“Apparently then, you are a blind man.” Hiei said before he walked off into the shadows of the forest, leaving Yusuke there to smile at his friend.
--
 
Kaya rolled her eyes as another bug made itself comfortable on her bear arms, causing her to twitch here and there. So far, she had almost dropped the sticks four times in the course of what she guessed was roughly 35 minutes.
 
'Pretty good for a beginner.' She thought to herself, feeling the slightest bit of pride. 'Well, dammit I should be proud of myself! I'm holding up logs with my brain! ...Okay, twigs... but still! How many other people can say they've done that?' She laughed at her thoughts for a moment before she realized that her leg was falling asleep.
 
“Shit!” She exclaimed.
 
Decided to try and move her body without dropping the sticks, she took a deep breath before carefully dropping down to one knee. Managing to maintain the hold on her concentration, she moved so she was on both of her knees now. “One more step.” She sighed, leaning to the side as she swept her legs under her bottom to sit Indian style on the forest floor.
 
Grinning from ear to ear at her accomplishment, Kaya could have done cartwheels. She was actually surprised she had managed to hold them this long with no major discomfort. She was still surprised she had managed to get them up at all, but then again she's learned to get used to surprises.
 
Once she thought about it she began to realized how much of a small step this really was to some one like Hiei, or Genkai, even Yusuke and Kuwabara are probably better at this then she is.
 
Deciding not to let that get her down, she kept trying to remind herself that they all started out like this too and that some day she'd be as good as they were at things like fighting, or sensing people coming before they were even close enough to hear. Then a sudden disturbing thought came to mind...
 
“Oh god. If Kuwabara can lift heavier objects then I can with his brain, then I'm totally fucked!”
 
She heard laughing coming from behind her and she growled. She knew that laugh all too well.
 
“Actually, Kuwabara can't do anything like this with his brain... Come to think of it, we're still not sure if he even has one at this point.” Yusuke said from behind her.
 
“Hey ass hat, I owe you two.” She said, not turning around to look at him.
 
“Two what?” He asked, smiling.
 
“Rude awakenings. I still haven't gotten you back for that first one.” Her voice was so serious, he actually flinched just at the tone.
 
“Heh, yeah, sorry about that. You know how hard it is to get you up...” He laughed nervously as he scratched the back of his neck. Kaya just huffed and continued to stare straight in front of her, not really looking at anything.
 
“You know..” Yusuke started.
 
“Your really good at keeping the concentration.”
 
“Yeah, I'm totally pro.” She scoffed sarcastically.
 
“Well the fact that you're having a conversation with me proves that. This is your first time using your telekinetic abilities.” He said, a look of thought on his face.
 
“I guess so. But if your trying to get out of dodge by being nice to me, it's not working. I'm still going to pay you back, and I'm still going to enjoy it when I do.” She said, still not turning to look at him. It wasn't really that she was mad at him, or didn't want to see him, it was just moving was harder for her to do then hold a conversation with someone.
 
“I wouldn't expect anything less Kay...” Yusuke said. She could actually hear the smile on his face and it made her smile too. She couldn't help it. Yusuke was just one of those people... When he was happy, he had the ability to make everyone else happy too. She liked that about him, she really admired it. It was nice to have a friend like that, especially since she wasn't always the happiest person in the world.
 
“Hey Kaya... You understand why I couldn't tell you about all of this before, right?” He asked, moving to sit down next to her.
 
“Yeah, I get it. I was never really that mad at you for not telling me, I wouldn't have believed you always. I guess it was just all of the stress that came along with this, I took it out on the wrong person, and I never did say I was sorry for it... So, there it is. I'm sorry...” She said, mumbling the last part.
 
“You don't have to be sorry Kay, I understand how you feel.”
 
“Alright, so neither one of us has to be sorry and we both understand, so I guess we're back to being friends again, yeah?” She smiled and he nodded. "Friends."
 
“But I'm still getting you back...”