Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Kesu ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kesu

A Yu Yu Hakusho/Eraser crossover

By Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: I mean no infringements on any copyrights that anyone owns on any of these characters. Please do not take this as such. The movie Eraser belongs to Warner Brothers, Arnold Kopelson, Charles Russell, and whoever else worked so diligently on this masterpiece. Yu Yu Hakusho belongs to Yoshihiro Tomogashi, Studio Perriot, and whoever else helped in the production of the manga Yu Yu Hakusho, and the television series and movies that were based on the manga. I'm not getting any money by writing this, so please don't sue me. I am merely writing this to entertain the fans of Eraser and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Authors note: If anyone has any questions/comments about this story, please e-mail me at: Rose_Thorne@yyhmail.com

"Don't want to close my eyes
Don't want to fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you baby
And I don't want to miss a thing"
-I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, Aerosmith

Chapter 9

Kurama

I am woken in the middle of the night by a low moan. I open my eyes. Hiei is moving restlessly, becoming tangled in the bedsheets. He becomes so entangled that he can't move. I sigh and sit up to untangle him, but freeze as he whimpers at the movement. What is wrong with him? His eyes are closed. I quickly realize that he's having a nightmare. I shake him gently, and he wakes with a gasp.

"Hiei?" I whisper. "What's wrong?" He starts to shiver and I pull him close, cradling his head against my chest. "It was a nightmare, ne?"

He nods. I am the only one he is able to share his problems with. "I thought they would go away..." He trails off and shivers again.

I rub his back comfortingly. "Shh. Go back to sleep. I'm here with you."

My fire demon shakes his head. "I can't..." I cover his mouth with a kiss, quieting him. Then I pull him close, holding him and running my fingers through his unruly black hair until he falls back to sleep. I stay awake, holding him close for about two hours.

Then he has another nightmare. I quickly wake him up again. He leans against me, gasping. "Another one?" I ask rhetorically. "What are they about?"

The little youkai shivers in my arms. "They aren't mine...I think they're Yukina's." He pauses and closes his eyes. "They...they're about me..."

I pull him closer and sigh. "She's worried about you?"

He flinches. "She thinks I'm dead...The dreams are about my death..." I pull back and look at him. He doesn't meet my gaze, but I can still tell that he feels guilty. "She's dreaming about the Koorime capturing me and..." I silence him with a kiss.

After a few seconds, he pulls away. I sigh. "Can't she sense you?" He shakes his head, still avoiding my gaze. "What do you want to do?"

He bites his lip. "I don't know," he admits after a while.

I smile at him, knowing exactly what has to be done. "You're going back."

He flinches. "But..."

"No `but's," I tell him. "If you don't go, you'll both continue having nightmares. And you're overtired as it is." He opens his mouth to protest. "I'm going with you." He shuts his mouth. "My brother's in school until 3:00 tomorrow. We'll have plenty of time." I sigh and look at the clock. It's 1:00 in the morning. We have time to sleep. "Go back to sleep," I tell him.

"I can't..." he protests.

I grin suggestively at my fire demon. "Well, then. We won't sleep..."

* * *
"For one so small, you seem so strong
My arms will old you, keep you safe and warm
This bond between us can't be broken
I will be here
Don't you cry"
-You'll Be In My Heart, Phil Collins
* * *

Hiei is asleep. Finally. I grin. I guess I wore him out...

It is around 5:00 in the morning. In two hours, my little brother will leave for school. A half-hour after that, my parents will leave for work. Then, I'll stuff Hiei inside the duffle bag again and go through the Makai to Japan.

I refuse to sleep. If Hiei has another nightmare, I need to be there to wake him. If the dreams are affecting Hiei this much, they must be bad. Poor Yukina. She must be very upset.

I feel so guilty for doing this to my friends. Even Koenma looked for me, and, according to Hiei, thinks that my soul is lost.

I sigh and get out of bed. I step on something hard and wince, then bend down and pick it up. It's one of Hiei's tear gems. Watching Hiei's sleeping figure carefully for any movement, I flip on one of the lamps. Hiei doesn't move, even though the light is shining right in his face. I lower my gaze to the floor, tearing my eyes from my lover's sleeping, naked body with some difficulty. There are tear gems scattered all over the floor. Sighing, I gather them up and put them in a drawer.

Then I get dressed and wake up Hiei so he can do so as well. He hides in my closet until the rest of my family leaves. Then we eat a bit of breakfast and leave, him in the duffle bag. Once in the Makai, I change into my youko form so I can run faster.

Once past Koorime territory, I help him out of the duffle bag and we continue. Finally we reach the gate. I change back to my human form and we walk through. We are deposited in Genkai's yard. No one is outside, so we go inside.

The first person to see us is Yuusuke. He looks confused. "I...I thought you guys were dead!"

I shake my head and smile. "No. I'll explain once everyone gets here."

Yukina appears in the doorway, her eyes red-rimmed and puffy from crying. She sees Hiei and runs to him, embracing him and crying tears of joy. "Oniisan!! You're alive!!"

Hiei returns the embrace. "Hn."

She pulls away and looks at me. "K-Kurama-san? I thought..." The little Koorime trails off.

"No, I'm not dead. And neither is Hiei. I'll tell you when everyone else gets here."

* * *

Hours later, I finally finish the story. I started it from when I saw the assassination, to when I found Hiei. Hiei had fallen asleep during it, and is leaning against me, breathing deeply. I look at my watch. It's noon, American time. "We'd better go," I say reluctantly. Hiei shows no signs of waking, and I don't want to wake him when he's finally getting some much-needed rest. I look at Genkai. "Do you have a blanket I could borrow?"

She nods and gets it. I wrap Hiei in it, being careful not to wake him. Yukina kisses his cheek to say good-bye, then smiles at me. "Are you going to come back soon?" she asks hopefully.

I sigh. "We have to wait until they find the assassins." She looks disappointed. "But I'll try to visit." I gently put Hiei in the duffle bag.

Yuusuke looks at me. "We'll find them! Then you won't have to worry about them anymore!"

I shake my head. "Don't, Yuusuke. I don't want you to put yourself in any danger. I'll be fine. They think I'm dead." Then I smile. "Besides, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when I show up in court, alive and well."

The ningen grins ruefully. "Yeah, I guess. See ya soon, I hope." I nod.

Kuwabara comes up to me. "Hey, be careful. Tell the shrimp that I'll look after Yukina while he's gone."

I raise an eyebrow in amusement. "Something tells me he won't appreciate that very much..." Kuwabara grins.

The girls each come up and hug me, then I leave and hurry back through the Makai. I reach my temporary home a half-hour before my brother is supposed to get home. Hiei is still sound asleep. I put him in the closet, on the floor, and put a flashlight and a note beside him.

Then I go downstairs and start to make dinner. Seiji gets home a little while later and immediately goes up to his room to do his homework.

I soon finish cooking and make up a plate for Hiei. I take it and a water bottle upstairs with me to check on him, just in case he's awake. He's not, so I just leave it beside him in the closet as well.

* * *

Hours later, I go upstairs and take a shower, then go into my bedroom, locking the door behind me. Hiei is asleep in the closet, but the food and most of the water are gone. I smile. He's regained his appetite. I gently transfer him to the bed and crawl in beside him. He doesn't even stir...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love writing romance...especially when it includes Hiei and Kurama...They're so kawaii together!!