Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Dragon Girls ❯ Watch What You Wish For ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Legend of the Dragon Girls- Chapter 1: "Watch What You Wish For"

By Matoko Shizaki

Disclaimer: I don't own YYH. FUNimation does so don't sue me.

Notes: Remember when you were a little kid and you thought anything was possible? The tooth fairy, Santa, the Easter Bunny, you name it! You were gullible. Maybe some kids, even though older now, still haven't given up the hopes that their dreams may come true.

@~@~@~@~@~@

It was a warm summer night in Tokyo, Japan. The apartment was quiet and one solitary girl sat on the couch watching TV. Tired of straining her eyes to see her show, Rinku went out onto the balcony that looked out onto the entire city. The redhead sighed eager that for once a star would be so bright it would be able to show over the city's bright lights, nightclubs, and skyscrapers. Miraculously, there was one star like that that night. Rinku smiled remembering what her big brother had told her. "Rinku-chan, when you wish on a star, the first one you see that night, the star will shoot across the sky and your wish will come true." Taking a deep breath, the 14 year old hoped no one would hear her. "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. Wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight." Rinku blushed, embarrassed that she was giving it to such a child's tale. "I wish I could find some adventure in my dull and isolated life." She sighed. Watching anxiously for the star to fall, she heard a knock at the apartment door. "Damn." Rinku said crossly as she slammed the door to the patio and went inside. "I'm such a fool to believe in those stories…" she muttered heading for the door. Suddenly, the star twinkled and fell from the night sky just as Rinku opened the door…

"Hello ma'am." The police officer tipped his hat at Rinku and me stood staring at him. "Oh, no, what did I do this time? Did they hear about the incident at the baseball field yesterday?" Rinku thought nervously. Knowing how to handle the situation, the redhead put the stress behind her and replied, "Good evening officer. What can I do for you?" "Actually I have two questions for you." The office said rummaging through his breast pocket. He finally pulled out a picture of four boys. One was short with black hair, two a middle height, one with black hair and the other with red. The tallest had red hair too. Rinku choked down a gasp realizing who it was. "The Yu Yu Hakusho gang? But they're not really!" she thought in shock. "Well?" "I've never seen them before sir." Rinku replied calmly. "They've been looking for a girl your age named Rinku Yamagasaki." The officer tucked the picture back into his pocket. "Do you know a girl by that name?" "No." Rinku lied quickly. "Thank you for your time miss." The officer tipped his hat again and turned to leave. "Your welcome…" Rinku said, a little shaken. She slammed the door and turned off the TV. "I need to sleep…" she muttered. "Maybe this is all just a weird dream."

First, to understand Rinku's personality, you had to know a bit about her. She stood at five foot eight towering over many of the boys her age. Her reputation served her giving her the look of a gang member and a con-person. When she was little she never won at anything. Rinku was a failure. She had very few friends… and then he parents were killed in a strange, freak accident. Living with her brother, Rinku decided to become stronger so she could free herself of the pain. She became a better fighter, rarely losing and continued to work her way to the top. Now, things were changing. Rinku felt her strength rise steadily everyday and her knowledge helping her every step of the way. Nothing could get past her stubbornness. And I mean nothing. Despite all of this, Rinku had no hopes and had to live with her misery and loneliness bottled up inside of her.

Now, we return to our heroine…

Rinku pulled the quilt over her head and rolled over off of her mat. Feeling the cold wooden floor on her skin, Rinku woke up. "Damn…" she muttered wearily. The teen scanned the room and then stopped realizing that the balcony doors were open letting it a draft. Then Rinku also realized that she had forgotten to change into her pajamas and fell asleep in her jeans and long, white t-shirt. Grumbling, she got to her feet and walked out onto the balcony. Everything seemed normal.

"Man, it's just my imagination acting up again." The redhead combed her stubborn, fizzy hair back and out of her face. She turned around only to be confronted with something gruesome. Its fangs dripped with saliva and its red eyes broke the darkness. "Hello, Princess Rinku." Rinku jumped back grabbing her baseball bat off of the table. "What the? Who are you? And what's with this princess shit?!" The thing, a mutant or a demon as Rinku guessed, jumped forward at her. Springing out of the way, Rinku had just enough time to bash the demon to the floor with a bat. Something growled in the corner and Rinku, in fear, grabbed her backpack and shoes and fled.

The hallways were dark and lifeless. Rinku continued to run hearing the things gaining on her again. Suddenly, something in the corners grabbed her, wrapping a hand over her mouth so she wouldn't scream. "Shh." The thing commanded. Rinku watched as the demons ran right past the corner with even noticing her and her rescuer. "Well, they aren't very bright are they." A kind voice said. Her rescuer stepped out of the shadows and into the light so that Rinku could just barely make out his features. He had short red hair in a strange cut. "Who…what?" "No time!" The boy said grabbing Rinku's wrist. "We gotta get outta here. Urameshi is waiting for us outside." The boy headed down the left corridor but Rinku stopped him. "No! I know a short cut. This way!" She darted into the right hallway with the boy at her side.

The elevator went down to the basement, and Rinku raced ahead and opened a balcony door. The boy looked at her and in his strange voice said. "You gotta be kiddin' me!" Rinku shook her head. "We just have to…" A pounding on the bolted, iron door behind them interrupted her. "Come out Princess! We know you're in there!" a demonic voice hissed from behind the door. "Damn! Just jump!" Rinku yelled breaking into a sprint. The boy nodded, confused and ran after her. Rinku vaulted over the railing with her hand, flying down into the dumpster below. The boy landed next to her, stuck in an old tire. "This was the best plan you had?" he asked pulling free of the tire. "Did you have a better one? Maybe we should've stayed there and let those things rips us to pieces!" The boy helped Rinku out of the dumpster. "They're not things. They're demons." He said breaking into a run. Rinku ran up next to him. "And who do you think you are?" she asked curiously. "Kazuma Kuwabara. At your service." Kuwabara said nodding at her.

Rinku darted up the alleys. "Here, in here!" Kuwabara yelled turning down a corner and disappearing into a nightclub. Rinku nodded and disappeared after him while the lights above the door, reading "The Point of No Return", flickered once more.

Inside it was dark and lit up by red lights. The bartender scowled at Rinku as Kuwabara led her to a dining booth near the pool tables. A long, red haired boy sat at the table with a short boy with spiky black hair. "Kurama… and Hiei!" Rinku thought with skepticism. "Where's Urameshi?" Kuwabara asked stilling down. Kurama offered Rinku a chair (which was gratefully received after all the running and screaming) before replying, "Looking for you two. You took so long." Kuwabara grunted. "You try being chased by a bunch of murderous demons!" Hiei frowned. "We shouldn't have had you get the princess." He said harshly. "Hey shrimp! I would've liked to see you do that…" Rinku stopped their fighting. "Maybe you guys can tell me. What is with this princess shit?" She asked, her irritability increasing. Kurama smiled. "It's too perilous to tell you here. As soon as Yusuke comes back and we are able to return to Kaidan, we'll tell you everything."

The door to the basement nightclub opened and a boy came in, his jacket sleeves rolled up and his hands tucked into his pockets. "There you are Urameshi!" Kuwabara sat pushing out his chair. "No thanks to you. You had us worried." Yusuke said sitting down. "You should never worry about the great Kazuma Kuwabara!" Kuwabara said while pounding a fist to his chest. "What an idiot." Hiei commented glaring at the redheaded girl (Rinku). Rinku bit back a smile and Yusuke tried to keep from laughing out loud. Suddenly, the doors to the nightclub flew open and three tall figures came in. "Damn, I think it's time to go now…" Yusuke muttered. Rinku turned back for a second and turned away again realizing who it was. "Shit, it's those demons again!" She whispered. Kurama nodded and motioned for her to be quiet. Slipping silently out the emergency exit, the group was able to avoid confrontation.

Botan was waiting outside, a portal opened behind her. "Hurry, get inside! It comes out at Genkai's temple. I'll meet you back there. Botan summoned her oar and road off into the darkness. "Well, you heard her, everyone inside!" Yusuke cried as the door to the nightclub opened and the three demons came running out. "Damn!" Yusuke pushed a bewildered Rinku in first, Hiei and Kurama disappearing in after her. Yusuke went next and just as the demons got to the portal, Kuwabara stopped and knocked one of them out with a blow to the jaw. "Ha! That'll teach you to mess with the great Kazuma…" But Kuwabara couldn't finish his cheer because of a hand that reached out of the portal and pulled him inside.

Kuwabara landed on his butt in the dirt in front of Genkai's shrine. "Kuwabara you idiot! The portal nearly closed on you!" Kuwabara stood up and brushed the dirt off of himself. "Hey, I had to teach those demons a lesson for messing with such a pretty girl." Kuwabara said glancing over at Rinku. Rinku looked away blushing and Yusuke punched Kuwabara in the head. "You know you're dating Yukina!" "It's meant as a compliment!" Kuwabara moaned. Kurama couldn't help but laugh. Rinku looked at the two fighting, a bit disturbed. "Don't worry," Kurama said putting a hand on Rinku's shoulder. "You'll get used to it…"

Genkai handed Rinku a lantern as she showed her to her room. "Breakfast is a eight sharp." Genkai sat throwing open the sliding door to one of the guest rooms. "Thank you so much for you hospitality." Rinku said, remembering her manners and bowing. Genkai smiled. "Have a good sleep!" she said leaving the room and shutting the door behind her. Rinku sat down her bag and removed her shoes, leaving them on the mat by the door. Suddenly, the door opened and Kurama came in.

"Oh Kurama, it's you." Rinku said. "I thought the demons had come back." Kurama smiled. "No, your safe now. About this princess thing…" Rinku sat down on the floor next to the youkai as he explained. "An old legend in the Spirit World told of a time when demons would break free from their world and come to destroy the human world. There was a way we could prevent it though. Three girls, each controlling either the dragon of water, the dragon of fire, or the dragon of earth would have the power to destroy the demon rebellion. In the past, these girls were princesses of Makai. You are the reincarnation or one of them: Princess Rinku of the Fire Dragon." Rinku looked at Kurama like he was crazy. "Who are the other two then?" Kurama shrugged and got up. "I don't know."

Kurama opened the door to leave. "Wait, Kurama!" Kurama turned around to look and the redhead. "Yes?" "Maybe I should watch what I wish for from now on, huh?"