Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ My Mom Meets Yu Yu Hakusho ❯ Truth Not Lies ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
3
Truth Not Lies


~AT THE HOSPITAL~

“I cannot believe you Hiei.” Kurama berated the fire demon.
The entire spirit detective team stood or sat in the waiting room of Kaiser Permanente, coincidently waiting to here anything of the woman’s condition. They had been occupying the room alone for the past half hour and finally the situation that had been grading on the fox’s very last nerve devoured it and he rounded on Hiei.
“All that you had to do was follow the woman from work to home. To see if she or her daughters had any incriminating paraphernalia that you could recognize from a distance.”
“Any what,” Kuwabara asked from his chair next to a standing Yusuke.
He was quite enjoying the fact that the shrimp was getting chewed out like a 3 year old that had slipped out of his mother’s sight. Sure he was concerned for the woman, in fact he was extremely concerned because the situation reminded him a little too much of his mother’s own accident that had been her end.
The only thing right now that was distracting him from his memories was the fight between Hiei and Kurama. And he found himself just a little to eager to hang off of their every word.
Yusuke watched on in amusement too it wasn’t everyday that you saw Hiei getting yelled at and the person doing the yelling had yet to go unharmed and unthreatened. However, part of him knew that Kurama was right. They weren’t suppose to get involved. If they wanted to find out the truth about what was really going on here they would have to stay out of sight. Koenma was up to something the evidence proved that. How and why he was doing it were questions they hoped to answer with all this sneaking around. Unfortunately they wouldn’t be doing much since of their only target was currently injured and the culprit was a three eyed, 4’6”, fire demon.
He snorted. At one point in his life when he was a normal kid he would have thought that statement bizarre, but looking at the company he kept around now he knew that was barely the tip of the iceberg.
Yusuke was partially wrong about his assessment of the situation. It was true that Hiei had yet to say a word through the fox’s tirade but, the glare the fire demon was shooting the redhead was indeed a threat. If looks could kill Kurama would be dead a thousand times over. If he had been a lesser demon he might have been afraid, he wasn’t, but he worried slightly of how the fire demon was mutilating him in his mind. Some how he doubted that he lived.
“Explain.” Kurama intoned after his lecture.
It took Hiei a moment to realize the fox had stopped yelling to ask him a question for he could plainly imagine in his mind the sight of personally throwing him off a cliff and waiting for him to go ‘splat’ all over the pavement. He pulled himself from his fantasy and raised an eyebrow as he asked Kurama to repeat what he had said.
“Please,” Kurama sighed beginning to calm down, “explain yourself.”
He wasn’t that mad at Hiei, they had known each other long enough to know what it was like staking out a potential victim or suspect and sometimes it got a little too monotonous. However, he couldn’t help feeling angry with himself. It hadn’t been a suspect or a victim worth stealing from it had been a simple woman who led a simple life as a single parent of four. She had done nothing but buy a gift for her children and now she was in the hospital because of it. Kurama had tried to rationalize it in his head but to no avail, it had been he who had suggested this entire operation to find out if Koenma was profiting off of them without their permission or knowledge and now someone else was paying for it.
Hiei had been the wrong choice from the beginning to wait for anything and sit still but, they had had no other choice any one of them would have easily been noticed missing and then their whole effort would have been for naught. It had taken some smooth talking and obvious bribes to get them here tonight and if they weren’t back soon then Koenma would be sure to notice.
Hiei looked at Kurama and knew the boy was beating himself up inside yet he couldn’t dredge up enough emotion to care. He hadn’t wanted to come in the first place. So far be it from his responsibility or conscience to care. However, he admitted to only himself that while he was sure he didn’t care he would cut the fox some slack.
He didn’t care though.
“I was doing what you told me to do. I’ve been following her for two weeks now, nothing has changed. The woman knows nothing pick someone else she’s no help to us.” Hiei suggested with a growing scowl on his face.
Kurama was never one to blame others for his mistakes but all Hiei had to do was watch the woman yes, it was Hiei but he had thought the fire demon could have safely pulled that off.
From his sitting position Kuwabara noticed a change in the shrimp’s aura it spiked slightly something he had only seen when Hiei was speaking to his Yukina about finding her missing twin brother. Kuwabara hadn’t understood it then and he still didn’t now. He studied the demon’s face to see if it changed any but saw only the same annoyance. He couldn’t be sure what all of it meant.
Yusuke observed quietly from the wall, he had appointed himself look out to make sure they were alone and the woman’s daughters hadn’t shown up yet. He had only turned to look at the small demon when he had heard an extra guarded quality to his voice when complaining about the woman being useless.
Kurama raised an eyebrow at Hiei’s statement, he wasn’t speaking the whole truth.
“What aren’t you telling us?”
Hiei narrowed his eyes at the redhead. “Are you accusing me of lying?”
Both Yusuke and Kuwabara raised a curious eyebrow and knew they had missed something.
Kuwabara played back the last of the small argument and found nothing in the fire demon’s statements that sounded like he was holding back or lying. However by the glare the taller of the two demons was shooting the shorter he could tell that Kurama definitely thought something was off and more than naught the redhead was right in his assumptions. Kuwabara moved his eyes to Hiei’s face, so could the small almost undetectable spike in the red eyed boy’s energy mean that he was lying? He wanted to figure it out.
“Don’t change the subject shorty, foxboy asked you a question, so answer it.” He pushed.
Hiei turned a glare on him that could kill but Kuwabara didn’t take back his demand.
“Yeah,” Yusuke added, “what are you hiding?”
Kurama smirked and crossed his arms leisurely. “Looks like you’ve been found out Hiei.”
“There’s nothing to be found you idiot fox.“ The demon in question spat out.
A mix between triumph and surprise covered the faces of the fire demon’s teammates and he knew something he said had set it off.
Kuwabara was the first to clue him in.
“Idiot?”
If there was one thing that the detectives knew it was that out of all of them Kurama was by far the most clever and cunning. In no way, shape, or form could he be considered otherwise and in no way, shape, or form under any normal circumstances would Hiei of all the other teammates call Kurama a name, with such vehemence, that would suggest other wise.
Now they were sure without a doubt that something was up and they were just about to extract such information from him when-

End Chapter