Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dragons ❯ Shall we find a clue? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okie-dokie kids. Here is chapter 5! I hope you is enjoying the story so far. Thank you to Inuyasha-lover once more for your comments. You are truly a wonderful person. I didn't think anyone would ever like my writing. Well, enjoy and review!
 
-Three Days Into the Journey-
 
It had been a hard three days for the Spirit Detectives. They had found nothing to give them any clues as to Syolikalenshi's whereabouts. Kurama stayed very quiet during the entire trip. Only breaking his silence to warn Yusuke or Kuwabara of an unwise maneuver, such as trying to walk straight into a nest of demon insects. But that day, the first clue was about to present itself. Kuwabara opened his canteen and groaned. “Are any of you guys out of water?” Yusuke shook his canteen.
 
“Yup. Hiei?”
 
“Mine has been empty for a while detective.” He the turned to Kurama.
 
“What about you? Are you out?”
 
“Yes, Yusuke. I was just about to suggest that we find water. I know of a stream close by that is clean and fresh.”
 
“Great! Lead the way.” Kurama moved to the front of the group to lead them. They walked for another mile when the sound of running water reached their ears. Yusuke and Kuwbara ran for the stream while Hiei and Kurama continued to walk. Hiei glanced at Kurama and then looked back to the road.
 
“This was your old territory, wasn't it?”
 
“Yes. How did you guess?”
 
“Demons never get water or food outside their territory. This area was also rumored to house many different thieves. Is this were she lived?”
 
“Yes.” The two finally reached the stream to find Yusuke and Kuwabara drinking happily straight from the clear water. The little brook called to their thirst as well and they knelt to drink. When each had quenched their thirst, they sat down on the cool mossy rocks to take a break. It was quiet in the small grove and offered some protection from attacking demons. The four were almost asleep when a hissing sound from the bushes roused them.
 
“You are trespassing! State your names and your purpose for being here!” Yusuke, Kuwabara and Kurama looked around while Hiei used his Jagan eye.
 
“We are the Spirit Deceives. And where are we trespassing?”
 
“This territory is all ready taken! And you have not yet stated your purpose!” Yusuke was about to speak when Hiei sprang at a tree. There was a frightened squeal from the foliage followed by a thump as a large something hit the ground. The fire demon hopped back down out of the tree, his arms folded behind his back.
 
“It is nothing more than a boy. Only 15 years old.” There was a whimper from the bushes and a silver haired kitsune sat up.
 
“Ouch. What did you do that for?” The boy was indeed young. His little fox ears twitched in pain as he rubbed a lump on his head. His shoulder length hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail. Yusuke glared and stepped closer.
 
“You should be the one explaining stuff. Where do you get off sneakin' around like that?” He grabbed the boy by the front of his white tunic and yanked him to his feet. Much to everyone's surprise, it was not a normal kitsune Yusuke was holding. Instead of having the usual fox tail, a long, golden scaled dragon tail was attached to his body. It whipped back and forth furiously in an attempt to try and hit Yusuke so he would release the boy.
 
“Put me down! I was only doing my job!”
 
“What is going on here?” A female voice said from the other side of the stream. They looked up to see a hooded woman dressed in the purest white. The long dress she wore had no sleeves and the hood covered her face. A golden rope was tied around her waist and various gold chains were around her neck. Rings and bangles covered her hands and arms. Bits of golden hair could be seen form under the hood. Everyone stood very still, amazed at this new arrival. The boy wiggled from Yusuke's grasp and jumped across the stream.
 
“They were trespassing mama. I tried to scare them off but they wouldn't leave.” The woman set a golden hand on his head.
 
“It's all right Na-teo. Not everyone is afraid of a silly boy like you.” The woman then turned to the group. “Is my son bothering you?” Kurama stopped Yusuke before he could start talking.
 
“No. He just startled us. That's all. We weren't expecting to meet anyone.” Na-teo whispered something to his mother and she nodded.

“My son says that you are the Spirit Detectives. Is there something you are looking for? Or maybe it is a someone?” Silence reigned and she smiled slightly. “Well, no matter. Would you like to come to my home to rest? I guarantee it is more comfortable than the road.”
 
“Yeah!” Yusuke said hopping over the stream. “I could do with a warm bed and a good meal.”
 
“Don't leave me out!” Kuwabara said as he followed Yusuke. Hiei came without saying anything. Kurama was the last to come. He stood very still as if he were afraid to move. Hiei turned to encourage him.
 
“Are you coming or not?” Slowly, Kurama followed them across the stream. Much to his relief, the woman led them to a small cottage built in a grove of trees. It was built so that the trees around it were a part of the walls. The woman opened the door and Na-teo scrambled inside.
 
“Start a fire you silly dragon-kit!”
 
“Yes mother!”
 
“Please, come in and make yourselves comfortable.” The woman said, ushering the four inside. Once they were all in and seated on soft cushions, Na-teo poured drinks and brought a large plate of food. “I'm afraid I must leave you for a short while. Na-teo will take care of the meal. I will return in a few hours. “The woman bowed and exited as the dragon-kit began to fix the evening meal. Yusuke and Kuwabara laid back to relax while Hiei spoke with Kurama.
 
“You are nervous, kitsune. What is it?” The human twirled a rose in his hand as he carefully thought about his words.
 
“It's just been a while since I've been around here.”
 
“This is your territory isn't it?”
 
“Yes. But I don't know how it's stayed this way. Fifteen years should be long enough for it to change hands.”
 
“Maybe we'll find out while we're here.
 
“I hope so.”
 
 
Meanwhile, while they talked, the woman walked through the thick trees to a small cave carved into the rocks. She entered and walked down a flight of stone steps into cool darkness. There was a growl at the bottom of the stairs. “Who enters?”
 
“The Alpha of this den.” A light flared from an orb mounted on a small pillar. A bowing wolf demon appeared from the shadows, his hakima was pure white and tied at the waist with a black sash.
 
“Hello, mistress. Your room is ready.”
 
“Thank you. Tell everyone to gather while I prepare.” The wolf ushered the woman into a side room and touched another orb to add light. The hood was finally removed to reveal Syolikalenshi. Her golden hair was pulled into a high ponytail while two chunks hung on either side of her face. Her face was changed from her kind features to a rough demeanor. Times had been hard on her. “Has the evening meal been served yet?” She asked as she removed her cloak.
 
“No, my lady.”

“Serve it. There is no sense in anyone starving while waiting.” The wolf bowed himself to the door.

“Yes, Lady Syo. Right away.” Once he left, Syo began to change. She removed her dress and replaced it with a white, spaghetti-strap tank top and a long white skirt. She pulled a white fur boa around her shoulders and brushed out her ponytail. The last fifteen years had been unkind to her from the scars covering her arms, back, stomach, and face. Some were small, barely visible, while others were quite large and deep. When she exited the room through another door, she entered a large cave where a low table was stretched across the floor. About ten men, all different types of demons, sat close to the head of the table on large cushions eating their dinner. The men only filled half of the table and Syo looked on it sadly. There once was a time when the table would be filled and then some. But now, the group was whittled down to almost nothing. She walked to the head of the table and sat carefully on her cushion. The two men on either side of her began dishing up various foods for her. A warm smile touched her worn face. “Thank you, Calen, Zylpher. But I am not that hungry.” The dog on the left side smiled, his brown hair falling into his right eye.
 
“Yoko would not want us to ignore your needs, my lady. And we enjoy caring for you.” The snake on the right nodded.
 
“Yesss. We do not want anything to happen to our light. You are the only thing ssstanding between usss and oblivion.” There were light murmurs as everyone agreed.
 
“Thank you. All of you. Now, there is business to take care of. I see all of you made it home from your thieves safely.” Everyone nodded. “Good. The Spirit Detectives are here so we must tread lightly. They are searching for me again. Be careful how you leave and return. Do you understand?” Everyone nodded again, but there was quiet murmuring. “Is there something you want to say?” The wolf from the entrance stood.
 
“We don't want anything to happen to you. If they catch you, they will send you away. If you go….” No one wanted to speak of what would come. Syo quietly munched on a fruit as she thought.
 
“Nothing will happen to you. I promise. If I were to go, Na-teo is here. And I expect all of you to help train him.” They all agreed and kept eating. But the Golden Queen was thinking very hard. She had an obligation to her band. It was her job to take care of them until Yoko returned. The only question was, could she?