Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That Which Remains Unspoken ❯ Chapter III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That Which Remains Unspoken:

Chapter 3

The phrase echoed and rebounded in Kurama's ears over and over again. "Keiko broke up...last night...broke up...broke up with me...Keiko broke up with me..." Staring down at the boy on the futon his eyes widened and his mouth formed a slight 'o' of surprise. Yusuke looked up at him with haunted eyes and Kurama dropped down lightly to crouch beside him. His green eyes were overflowing with sympathy and concern.

Their leader's shoulders shook with suppressed sobs and he looked away for a moment. Kurama touched his shoulder. "Yusuke…?" he whispered softly. Yusuke glanced back at him and collapsed into the taller boy's arms, his entire body wracked with dry sobs. Kurama sat down hard on the floor and gently held Yusuke, cradling him in his arms. Hiei stood over them both, looking down with an impassive gaze.

When Kurama had taken Yusuke into his arms, a thousand glass needles had shot through Hiei's heart. The love in Kurama's eyes, directed not at him, but at Yusuke had hurt more then any physical pain ever could. He maintained his outer emotionless appearance, but inside he was falling apart. His heart was shattered and his eyes wouldn't tear themselves away from the sight of the two boys in front of him. He was teetering on the thin line between grief and insanity and he knew that if he saw too much more, he would go crazy for sure. He had to get away.

So when the doorbell rang, he dashed from the room at top speed, the sharp sound having torn him from his whirlpool of anguish. He left his two friends and made for the door, where he knew Kuwabara must be waiting. Taking a few deep breaths to calm himself, he opened the door and made sure his face revealed nothing to the tall boy outside. Shivering slightly, Kuwabara rushed by Hiei to get out of the cold and rubbed his arms for warmth. "Geez, Hiei, could you have kept me waiting any longer?" he asked in his usual blunt matter. "I could have let you freeze you fool, but I didn't want to leave a mess on Yusuke's steps," Hiei replied sarcastically.

Kuwabara growled slightly but was stopped from issuing a cutting reply when Kurama stepped out into the hallway. He paused only long enough to give Hiei a strange look then greeted Kuwabara brightly, as if nothing had happened. Yusuke appeared moments later, his eyes slightly red, but his hair slicked back and his t-shirt on. "Hey Kuwabara," he said dully, going into his living room and flopping down on the couch. Kuwabara followed, giving him a concerned look and inquiring as to what was wrong.

Kurama hung back for a moment and laid a hand lightly on Hiei's arm. "Something wrong Hiei?" he asked quietly. "Hn," was the only reply he got as Hiei proceeded into the living room after the other two. Raising an eyebrow Kurama followed, backpack slung over his shoulder.

Ten minutes later the four boys stepped out the door and into the cold morning. Stepping briskly, Kurama led the way, with Kuwabara a step behind him, his cheeks a bright pink already and Hiei and Yusuke bringing up the rear. Yusuke was walking with his head down and his hands stuffed deep into the pockets of his jacket. Kurama's heart wrenched as he saw the pathetic figure and he slowed, matching his stride to the dragging of the Spirit Detective's feet.

Yusuke didn't even appear to notice and he kept walking, apparently either in deep thought or deep withdrawal. Kurama sighed softly and looked up to find Hiei's eyes boring into him once again. Hiei's lips curled in a faint sneer and he sped up, now taking the lead. Kurama stared after him, wondering once again what he had done.

Yusuke, feeling the faint rush of air when Hiei sped up, looked up and noticed Kurama for the first time. Kurama gave the other boy a small smile and hesitantly put an arm around his shoulders. Yusuke started slightly and stiffened up. Kurama bit his lip and held his arm there a moment longer before starting to pull away. But to his surprise Yusuke leaned in and rested his head on Kurama's strong shoulder. Kurama looked down at him sharply but Yusuke's face was turned forwards and he seemed to avoid meeting Kurama's eyes. Smiling a happy smile he squeezed Yusuke's slender shoulders briefly and continued walking with his arm around the shorter boy.

Kuwabara continued walking slightly in front of Hiei, blissfully unaware of what was going on behind him. Hiei purposely turned a blind eye to the two behind him, determined not to cause himself any more pain. But even so, his scalp tingled and his heart ached. He desperately wished it were him back there, with Kurama's arm so tenderly wrapped around his upper back. His ruby eyes stung and a sharp anger flared up within him. Why did he have to endure this?! He should just go back there and tell Kurama how he felt! Right to his face! See what Yusuke did then! He kicked at a small rock on the sidewalk in front of him, accidentally hitting Kuwabara in the back.

The orange-haired youth jumped and whirled around with quick reflexes and glared at the short little fire demon. "What the heck what that for, Hiei?!" Hiei leered at him and said nothing. Growling, the taller boy turned around, his face twisted in a scowl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that was how the group entered the Makai; Kuwabara and Hiei both in a bad mood and Yusuke still upset over Keiko. Kurama was the only one in the little group who was in high spirits and he had a small grin plastered on his face and an extra spring to his step. His heart was soaring to touch the clouds above and his eyes shone with a sparkling, dancing light. Hiei, looking back once felt another knife's slash on his heart. For he knew that he could never give Kurama the happiness he had so obviously found with the human boy. To Kurama their relationship ran nothing deeper then friendship. And while Kurama's heart soared high above them, Hiei's resided somewhere in the vicinity of his feet.

Yusuke breathed in deeply, taking the unique scents of the demon world and catching a faint whiff of something else. He breathed in even deeper this time and his half-demon senses registered it as…Kurama. He turned his saddened face upwards slightly and gazed at the red-haired beauty next to him. He had never seemed to notice it before, but Kurama was good-looking…very good looking. His crimson hair swayed gently in the slight breeze and his creamy skin was burnished to a glowing gold by the new sun. His scent swirled through Yusuke's nose, smelling faintly of flowers, shampoo, and something a little muskier, dark almost…like shadows on a summer's night.

Kurama, feeling a slight shift in the weight on his shoulder, looked down and found a pair of deep brown eyes staring right back up at him. He blinked in surprise and Yusuke looked quickly away, a pink blush staining his sun-browned cheeks. Kurama sighed inwardly. Looks like he had a long way to go…Damn Keiko! Why had she done this to his Yusuke? He had obviously cared deeply for her, more then he let on anyway, and she had spurned him. Damn her! Damn her to hell! She would pay for what she had done to Yusuke, Kurama vowed. She would pay.

The sun danced overhead as the four boys walked deeper into the demon world, never knowing that soon they would be thrown headfirst into a tangle of emotions and betrayals that would mark them for life.