Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That Which Remains Unspoken ❯ Chapter IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That Which Remains Unspoken:

Chapter 4

The day wore on with still no sign of their quarry. After a short discussion, the four boys agreed to stop for the remainder of the afternoon and continue their search tomorrow.

Yusuke had by this point, relaxed enough to slip his slender, well-muscled arm around Kurama's waist and continue to walk in the taller boy's embrace. Feeling the other boy's arm on his waist, Kurama's heart had swelled with affection and he tightened his own grip slightly. The two boys had been walking like this for about fifteen minutes before the decision was made to stop and Kurama reluctantly disentangled himself from Yusuke as they came to a good camping place. Yusuke looked over at him, the look in his eyes almost forlorn as the weight and warmth of Kurama's arm left. Reaching out and brushing his love's cheek with the merest hint of a caress, his eyes reassured him he would return to continue their embrace later.

Feeling as though he were being watched, Kurama looked up to find Hiei's flaming ruby eyes on them both. There was a look in the little demon's eyes that tickled the back of Kurama's mind, but before he could concentrate on it, Hiei had whirled around and left the small clearing. Sighing, the red-haired fox-boy turned around and began setting up for a small fire. Kuwabara had an armful of sticks and he came over and dumped them onto the ground at Kurama's feet.

Glancing over to make sure the small, dark-haired boy couldn't hear, he turned back to the kitsune in disguise and said, his rough voice quiet, "Um…Kurama…" He hesitated.

Laughing as he saw the look in the carrot-headed boy's eyes, Kurama answered, also in a quiet voice, "Yes, Kuwabara, I like other boys. Does that bother you?"

Blushing a furious red Kuwabara shook his head. "No, no, no…It's just…I think what you're doing for Urameshi is really great…" Here he paused once more, the red color of his face deepening and clashing with his hair terribly. "You're just doing what I can't." He said really fast, then turned and jogged to the other side of the clearing, gathering more sticks and tinder.

Kurama's heart soared with pride and joy as he glanced from the taller, more muscular boy, to the smaller slighter form of his love. Yes, he knew he was doing the right thing. Grinning, he crouched down and in a few more minutes had created a small blaze. Not a big enough one for warmth, this region of the Makai was warm year round, but just big enough to cook some food. Flopping back on the ground Kurama stretched out on his back and put his arms under his head. He stared up at the green, leafy canopy overhead until an object blocked his view.

Smiling a caring smile up at Yusuke, he gently brushed a lock of his hair that had fallen out of his greased mass back into place. Shaking his head slightly Yusuke pulled away. Frightened that he had gone too far and scared his love off, Kurama sat up halfway, an apology already forming on his lips. But before he could say anything, Yusuke buried his hands in the gelled chocolaty mass of his hair and rubbed at it furiously. Moments later he raised his head and met Kurama's confused gaze head-on. Now the fox-boy was staring at the Yusuke he had only seen in sleep, the innocent, fresh Yusuke. His hair now fell in smooth locks over his forehead and into his dark eyes, making him look even younger then he was. Kurama wonderingly reached out a slightly trembling hand once more and slowly ran his hands through the younger boy's hair.

He was startled when a low noise, almost a purr, rumbled forth from Yusuke's throat. Grinning sheepishly the Spirit Detective buried his pink cheeks in Kurama's shoulder and let the fox's other hand entwine with his. Running his fingers over the smooth skin of the kitsune's hands, Yusuke was amazed at the flawlessness of it. There was not a blemish or scar to be seen on those creamy hands, and the nails were perfectly trimmed and cleaned. He brought his other hand down to caress the skin also and was so absorbed in the beauty of it that he did not notice the look on Kurama's face.

But, unfortunately for them both, Hiei did. The fire demon had not left, at least not completely. He was now perched in a tree high above them, concealed by a particularly leafy branch, and watching their every move. The tender gestures that each had been administering to the other had torn at his heartstrings and when Yusuke had begun to stroke Kurama's hand, the look that had painted itself on the fox's face had pushed him over the edge. It was a look of utter, pure delight infused with all the tenderness and joy Hiei had ever seen. It was look only lovers shared, one that Hiei could never even dare to dream to be directed at him and him alone. It felt like a swirling vortex had opened up where his heart had once been and he was surprised to feel something cool and smooth slipping down his cheek. Raising one small hand up, he caught the teargem before it could fall to the forest floor below. Rolling the smooth, shimmering gem in his palm he stared at it dully as it threw rainbows and splashes of color on the foliage around him.

Then with a livid display of temper he snarled to himself and crushed the teargem into a thousand tiny shards, hurling them in a hundred different directions. But his efforts were in vain, for more teargems were now blazing their trails down his cheeks. Brushing at them angrily, he scattered them to the forest floor where they caught the later afternoon sun and threw a myriad of colors all over the area. Snarling deep in his throat once again, the fire demon bounded off once again, this time really leaving. Stupid fox. Stupid Yusuke. Stupid fox. Stupid Yusuke. The monotony played itself over and over again in his head, refusing to leave him alone. Along with it went the image of them sitting cuddled together on the clearing floor by the fire, caressing each other with innocent touches and warm glances. These were things a forbidden child had never known, and never would know. Increasing his speed even more, as if he ran fast enough he could leave his problems behind, the forbidden child darted through the trees scattering teargems all along the way.

Yusuke, meanwhile, was still fascinated by Kurama's hand and had flipped it over to draw patterns across the baby-soft palm with his rough fingers. Kurama shivered slightly in delight and let the hand roaming through Yusuke's hair go a little lower and play with the delicate hairs along the nape of his neck. Yusuke's breath left his mouth in a small hiss of pleasure as he felt the tentative hands stroke the sensitive back of his neck. Bringing Kurama's hand slowly up to his mouth he placed two small, soft kisses on the palm and then set it down on his thigh. Leaning back he wormed his way into a stunned Kurama's embrace. Resting his head on the other's shoulder he closed his eyes and relaxed. Within minutes his heavy, even breathing told Kurama that the dark-haired boy had fallen asleep. Closing his emerald eyes, the kitsune turned his head slightly and place a light, chaste kiss on his love's hair, then let himself drift into an easy slumber.

Kuwabara, returning from getting more wood, added some to the fire then looked up at the two boys across from him. The tips of his ears turned pink as he saw them resting in each other's arms and he quickly averted his gaze. Muttering to himself, he dug some food out of Kurama's pack and began making dinner, all the while pointedly ignoring the two sleeping figures near him.

When dinner was on its way he lay back, folded his arms underneath his head, much like Kurama had done before, and fell asleep also, his dreams plagued by the image of a suffering Yusuke seeking solace in the red-haired boys arms. And while Kuwabara wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box, he wasn't plain stupid. He could see the sparks in Hiei's eyes every time he looked at Kurama, and he knew that this was hurting Hiei to no end. Sighing in his sleep, he rolled over onto his side and slept on, unaware that their dinner was now burning over the small fire.